By Zeus's Beard!

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by idsunki »

The Greek Gods aren't dead just yet.

This is actually what I thought the Greek Orthodox Church was when I was growing up, and I was so disappointed to find out otherwise.

How will this cookie crumble?
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by HoodedMan »

In what way do you think it will crumble? They may be denied access to the temple; in fact, they probably will. But I think it unlikely that the religion will vanish anytime soon. I know a couple people who have faith in the Old Norse Religion and I've communicated online with a member of the Church of All Worlds. Who's to say any of them are wrong? They will always exist, even if they're forced underground. Very interesting aspect of human behavior.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by JSherlock »

I'm so torn on this: on the one hand, I'd say let them go in and worship - they are mostly academics and realize how valuable to living history those munuments are. On the other - I'd be paranoid about ANY damage AT ALL. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't let them within 10 feet.

I do hope they come to an agreement wherein the monuments are protected at every cost, and they can worship to their hearts' content.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by Slarti »

Well, they went ahead and did it, ban be damned.

http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=17118
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

See...I've never understood denying people the right to worship as they want, provided harm is not being done (ie cult behaviour such as demanding that they give up all their worldly possessions to them ect; or things like child abuse - the list goes on, but people get it).

Its a shame that people hope to convert (in a way) by suppressing others, rather than just letting the own validity of their faith draw in people.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by Elwing »

yes there was something on bbc news about that too. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6285397.stm . The Greek Orthodox Church seems like a really friendly bunch...
"They are a handful of miserable resuscitators of a degenerate dead religion who wish to return to the monstrous dark delusions of the past," said Father Efstathios Kollas, the President of Greek Clergymen. Reminds me of the time they came down on "Lordi" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5004170.stm
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

By Zeus's Beard!

Post by steyn »

Little off topic:
You can call me shallow, but I pictured someone called Peppa more, well, prettier and thinner in diaphanous robes, boy was I wrong