The Science of Altruism

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

The Science of Altruism

Post by idsunki »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6278907.stm

Scientists at Duke University Medical Center found the part of the brain the controls your tendencies toward altruism.

Discuss!
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Science of Altruism

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Scientists are misquoted.

Scientists actually discovered that people who give to charity a lot have more brain activity in one part of the brain when they watch a computer give to charity.

Different article

Basically, they discovered that "altruism" and "social behavior" are connected in the brain. Why this is picked up by the media is beyond me.

Don't mind me, just finished a hellish semester revolving around the study of altruism and I never want to hear the word again.

[Edited on 22-1-0707 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

The Science of Altruism

Post by HoodedMan »

I saw this article quite a while ago and wasn't surprised. They're just plotting the map. Personally, I'm debating whether altruism actually exists or not. I think it may be an improper word to use; when I read the article in my local newspaper a few months ago, it made no reference to altruism; I believe it simply referenced "charity" and "charitable behavior", which is a lot more accurate.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.