Women in the bible?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Women in the bible?

Post by Saint Kurt »

There seems to be a general feeling here and elsewhere I've seen, that woman are underrepresented in the bible. And, that when they are represented, it's with a set of instructions like "obey your husband" and "fill your womb with thousands of children", but a week ago I found a verse that made me laugh out loud.

This is from Corinthians I (around 7:30...)
I should like you to be free of all worries. The unmarried man is busy with the Lord's affair's, concerned with pleasing the Lord; but the married man is busy with this world's demands and occupied with pleasing his wife.
It comes from a series of paragraphs in which St. Paul is suggesting that both men and women should all stay virgins and enter religious vocations (hey, it's the bible...), however, it does show that despite it all, he is also well aware of exactly where a husband's focus should lay.

Pun intended. :naughty

-e
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Women in the bible?

Post by Bamfette »

yes, but as nice as that quote sounds, there's others... like... Lot's daughters thrown to a raging mob to be raped so the mob wouldn't bother him and his angel guests. Also another very similar story in Judges except the host's daughter and the traveler's concubine are offered up to the rapists. The concubine dies and is then hacked up into pieces by her husband and sends them to each of the 12 tribes of Israel to teach em a lesson. in both cases the men who send these women out to be raped are said to be moral characters. And many other examples like "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." and many, many other similar quotes... :-/

[Edited on 16/12/06 by Bamfette]
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Women in the bible?

Post by Saint Kurt »

Well yeah... I wasn't denying that. I was just saying that I found this one thing that amused me.

However, look where all your examples came from - all Old Testament and some of the oldest books too. Those bibical Jews didn't like women very much...

For what it's worth, my quote happened to come from a New Testament book written well after the Gospels. I don't consider the bible to be a historical document however, it was written over a long stretch of time during which a lot of change took place - including attitudes towards women, marriage, society, and what have you...

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Women in the bible?

Post by Angelique »

There's also a difference between moral and perfect. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Lot did good by offering his daughters to the mob. I think the overall point of including stories like these is not that women are the property of men and it's okay for good men to do these terrible things, but that even good men do terrible things, and therefore should not be held up as perfect examples.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven