Female/male circumcision

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Female/male circumcision

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I was reading this article this morning, and it got me thinking again about circumcision. I think most north americans would consider female circumcision as unneccessary and a human rights violation. However - many don't even bat an eyelash at male circumcision.

Yes, they are different. The motivations behind them are different in many ways. I happen to subscribe to the belief however, that male cicumcision is both unneccessary, dangerous and isn't fair to the child that it is being performed on. And its a growing trend to NOT have your male child done in north america. There are a few medical cases where circumcision is beneficial - but for your average healthy young male, keeping the bean clean is quite adequate. In fact, there can be many dangers involved in male circumcision - up to loss of the penis and even death. It is amazing how many places are advertizing to men to RESTORE their foreskin through a complicated stretching proceedure.

So - I do not condemn people that have already had it done - it is a trend that is sometimes hard to buck. But I also like to get people thinking on it and doing their own research.

Where are your beliefs? Your thoughts?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Female/male circumcision

Post by steyn »

I completely agree with you there.
My argument for it is, is the child going on a 40 year desert trip? No? Then leave him alone.
Is the child Jewish or in a religion that requires circumcision? No? Then leave him alone.
Do you want to cut the child's skin off his penis just so that he looks just like his father? Yes? Then go see a shrink.
Do you think it's cleaner for the child to not have skin there? Yes? Then apparently you don't bathe once a day do you?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Female/male circumcision

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Personally, I'm on the fence about the issue. Not being male, and not having male children, it's not really something I've put much thought into. But it does remind me of this AWESOME show I saw on TLC about a boy who's botched circumcision caused his parents and psychologists to decide he be raised as a girl. Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Female/male circumcision

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Truthfully, the only reason I'm on the fence is that I find uncircumcized dicks sexually unattractive. If it weren't for that, I'd be completely against it.

If I ever have a baby boy, I'll worry about my stance on it then. It's pretty minor and I don't really care what anyone else chooses.
Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Personally, I'm on the fence about the issue. Not being male, and not having male children, it's not really something I've put much thought into. But it does remind me of this AWESOME show I saw on TLC about a boy who's botched circumcision caused his parents and psychologists to decide he be raised as a girl. Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
That's so sad. I've seen probably three documentaries on him and it's a downer every time.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir