Oh, my GOD

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Oh, my GOD

Post by HoodedMan »

I absolutely assure you, this will be the greatest thing you have ever seen on TV in your life. It certainly was for me; FOX News has so redeemed theirselves...

Ms. Phelps-Roger is a disgusting excuse for a human being, and she so deserved that tounge lashing. What her church does is a scar on the face of the earth and an abomination. I certainly hope that no action will be taken against Julia Banderas.

"You wanna preach? Let's preach!" This is so worth five minutes of your day.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Oh, my GOD

Post by Saint Kurt »

Okay, I only got through 3 minutes.

Listening to people argue by quoting bible scripture at each other is like having my spine ripped out. (No matter what the topic.)

But I do agree that anything the Westboro Baptist Church does makes them look like a bunch of bigotted assholes. They don't like anyone: homosexuals, Jews, Catholics, Americans, Canadians, Swedes, and pretty much everyone who's not a member of their church as far as I can tell.

Christ preached a message of inclusion, love, and peace for everyone. I don't know what kind of bible they're reading... I don't even know if I'd call whatever they're doing Christianity. From everything I understand even using "God Hates ________" is in itself an oxymoron.

-e

{EDIT: I used the phrase "just about anything the Westboro Baptist Church does"... Then I realized that leaves room for them to do things that make sense. So I fixed it to "Anything the Westboro Baptist Church does ... --SK}

[Edited on 15/6/06 by Saint Kurt]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, my GOD

Post by HoodedMan »

I wasn't really paying attention to the Scripture, though the arguments are valid. I was just amused by the fervor on both sides.

I consider trying to preach your own hateful message where you're not wanted and defaming, disrespecting a dead man at his own funeral, a veteran no less, is unforgivable. These people are the worst of the human race. So I was just grimly amused to see her smacked down. "Goodbye."

[Edited on 15/6/2006 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Oh, my GOD

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I saw another interview from this woman on Myspace and I couldn't believe she had the nerve to think anything she was doing was right.. to protest against the war at someone’s funeral is just disrespectful and idiotic.. In the other interview it said that over half the members of this "church" she was in were part of her family, so obviously it's just the bigoted beliefs of some nutjob family who found a way to spread their ideas through 'the bible's words'
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Oh, my GOD

Post by Slarti »

That's exactly what it is, Blue -- a nutjob family. Unfortunately, it's a big nutjob family.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Oh, my GOD

Post by Bamfette »

wow, go Julie! if you look on that page there are a couple other reporters giving various members of Westbro a tongue lashing. though you'd think there would be more :-/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubiP3mP3Ds

not a reporter, and i don't advocate violence normally, but this made me smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGKx2pTBQc

and just incase you aren't fully convinced at how sick the Westbro folks are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVBbCgz ... ed&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09OSmPYm6z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3S0S4oubmI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mz6AU70GSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOpWSa9oqQ

the Westbro 'church' strikes me as a cult like organization, I think Fred Phelps has essentially brainwashed his family from a young age to believe his twisted vision of his world... It always turns my stomach to see footage of them protesting and having some 10 year old or younger kid holding up a 'God Hates Fags' sign, when he probably has no concept of how hateful it is. Except the message of Fred Phelps is so hateful he seems to (thankfully) have a lot of trouble recruiting members from outside of his own family. I have to wonder how anyone could believe that their God is so petty and cruel and yet still worship him. Any god as cruel as the ones the Westbro folks say (their God does not mesh with the vast majority of Christians) is not worthy of worship. In thier twisted view of things, we should be cowering in fear from God every second of our lives lest he wipe us out in some huge temper trantrum. a God that kills soldiers for no other reason than there are gay people in the country of their origin and they (the gays) aren't hated by most people.

[Edited on 16/6/06 by Bamfette]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Oh, my GOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

WHy did they even let this woman on TV?? We all know they're kooks!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, my GOD

Post by HoodedMan »

For my amusement when they get off TV just as quickly. :P

Very good points and links, Bamfette.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Oh, my GOD

Post by Saint Kurt »

I've realized that I fit in to at least 3 out of 4 (if not all 4) of the Westboro Church's main list: Homosexuals, Catholics, Jews, and Americans. Not only am I an American Catholic Jew, but in college I had a very serious relationship with another woman. I'm sure that regardless of my choices afterwards, this would be enough to put me in the "homosexual category" as well.

So I meet all their criteria!

I'm so proud.

When they come picket my funeral they can bring out ALL their different signs. It will be a mass demonstration of complete immorality, racism, and bigotry. I only wish I could live to see it...

:rolleyes

-e