Michael Moore vs. Fred Phelps

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I know Michael Moore can go.... a bit far... at times. but you have GOT to give him props for this:

http://throwawayyourtv.com/2006/06/mich ... helps.html

anyone who can chase off Phelps and his cronies TWICE gets a :worship from me :)
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

OMG!!! I nearly died laughing when they started rocking that bus. The cheerleader stuff was pretty damn sweet too.

I can't BELIEVE that kind of display of open hatred is tolerated. Its shocking. Makes me want to bite something. Its their asses that should be thrown in jail.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I know, Phelps and his 'church' (over 80% family members. so at least we can take comfort in the fact that he's not very persuasive to anyone outside his own family) are truly some of the scummiest most vile people out there in America. parasites that feed off of the pain they cause.

... but... they do have the right to freedom of speech jsut like anyone else. it's a right that has to be defended, even if the message they present is the stuff Phelps spews. but that's a double edged sword becuase someonelike Moore can come along in his Sodomobile and counter-protest. :)

HOWEVER! I don't have a news article handy, but i saw on TV that they made picketing funerals illegal becuase of Phelps.

*edit: i went looking for news on the law. http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/s ... 547415.htm

close... I think that at funerals, military or otherwise, it really should be considered a form of harrasment, though. On a random street corner or in front of city hall, it's more directed at everyone. At a funeral, it's personal. You're just going to make the family feel shitty. They don't need some ass with a bunch of flourescent signs proclaiming that the person they are burying is going to burn in Hell. It accomplishes nothing but increase the family's anguish.

[Edited on 6/6/06 by Bamfette]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I don't think there's a more disgusting human being on this planet than Fred Phelps...

That being said, I think this is the ONLY time I EVER cheered on Michael Moore
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

It’s so embarrassing to have Kansas right next door. I swear, between Phelps and the evolution mess they are heading backward in time over there.

Missouri, however, passed a “no protesting at funerals” law months ago, just to stop Phelps from coming over here.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I loved it! I loved Phelps expression when he saw the bus rocking he didn't want to go near it. :LOL

Phelps and his followers are so out in left field on a rainny day that they can't be taken seriously. Even the far conservative religious right think they are a bunch of idiots.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13154064/

I can't believe this is the first time someone filed a lawsuit... I hope they win though
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

That Fred Phelps guy reminds me of the old man in Poltergeist for some reason... he does a good job of embodying evil.

I like Michael Moore a lot - he does go too far - but one thing he isn't is apathetic (as too many Americans are). I heard him giving a speech on public radio that I really had to respect. I'm very happy that he exists.

Can't resist linking this - In Defense of Fred Phelps
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz