OBAMA IS THE PRESIDENT! Woot!!

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

WHOO HOO!

Everyone give your congratulations to your new president! Like him or not, here he is, and he's here!

SUPER AWESOME CONGRATULATIONS to
Senator Barack Obama (P)
and
Senator Joe Biden (VP)
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

so....announcing the new president is dangerous?
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Yay! Glad to see that the democrats are in power again.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

You do realise that he has to do the ten things he said he would do now that he's been elected president. Can't wait for Baraktober. And three words: Vice President Oprah :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnL9HRLNxIA
puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

Originally posted by Ult_Sm86
WHOO HOO!

Everyone give your congratulations to your new president! Like him or not, here he is, and he's here!
Hmm, take it you voted Republican then Bman? :P
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Originally posted by steyn
so....announcing the new president is dangerous?
No, asking people to congratulate him is, even if they were against him :P No one likes to be told to be a good loser.

I'm just happy that this will spite all those racist jerks around :D
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Congratulations to Senator McCain for running a clean and respectable campaign. I respect and honor you Sir, for your service to our country and for your honesty and integrity. I wish you had won.

To Mr. Obama: Good luck. You'll need it. I didn't vote for you because I could never vote for a pro-abortion president, but I pray that everything will work out.

To President Bush: Thank you Sir, for keeping our country safe every day after 9/11. I know you always tried to do what you thought was right.

PALIN for President in 2012!

[Edited on 5/11/08 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Originally posted by Freak
I'm just happy that this will spite all those racist jerks around :D
I am always so totally out of touch with "normal" people. See, I kept thinking how racist it was when I'd hear people talking out loud to each other that they were going to vote for him specifically because he was African-American. To me, that's the color of your skin, not the content of your character. Oh, well.

[Edited on 5/11/08 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I say simply congrats to him for being the first to achieve something so incredible. I am very impressed with our nation and the voting populous.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Would you have congratulated John McCain if he had won?

I assume you voted for Obama. I've stated why I didn't vote for him, which had nothing to do with his race. If he had been Alan Keyes or J.C. Watts or Condeleeza Rice or, especially, Ken Blackwell, I would have voted for him, and very enthusiastically. In fact, I did vote for Ken Blackwell for Governor of Ohio. I guess Ohio is racist, because that white guy, Ted Strickland, won instead. LOL!

Just curious...what was your reason for voting for Obama?

Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Here are the youtube links to the speeches of McCain and Obama held on the night of the election. Even though I'm a supporter of Obama, I found both of them deeply moving.

McCain's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjQYKoc4N7c

Obama's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jll5baCAaQU

Congratulations to Barack Obama. I believe that he has the chance and the potential to achieve great things during his presidency.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

John McCain offered his life for our country. I think he deserved better from the people he risked his life to serve.

I am glad to see that Obama acknowledges the service and sacrifice of John McCain.

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Congratulations and good luck to the Obamas. I am especially tickled pink for the Obama girls, who apparently will soon be blessed with a new canine charge to love and care for. I think they'll be good moms to their puppy. As for our president-elect, not so much. I am a little worried that he won't be able to come through on some of his promises, and regarding some of his other promises, I'm downright scared of what would happen if he did come through.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Hubby & I were supporters of Dr. Keyes, but I lost some respect for him when he moved into another state to run for office. JC Watts, I remember him as being a strong person but I'm not super-political so I don't remember all.

And I also have a weird definition of "Black," because to me, a Black guy is someone who's been born and raised here from folks who go back awhile. I see Obama more as a son of immigrants or whatever, so to me it's not a huge thing because I don't think of him as a "Black" president.

But I'm happy that everyone thinks it's a good things. Even people who might have voted for him because they were afraid of riots if they didn't (not my words, just stuff I've overheard people saying).
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

I've known a number of people who have offered their life for this country. i respect them but do not neccesarily believe they can run the country.

This campaign was relatively clean compared to past ones, but McCain got a bit desperate at the end. Probably because they used Rove (shudder). Btn Rove and Palin mudslinging McCain himself wasn't bad. I think he would have had a better chance if he'd chosen a better runningmate. Love the quote by Matt Damon saying she was like a bad disney movie.

Glad it's over and glad that Obama won. Now the real work begins...

oh, and I'm really glad Bush is gone. While i don't think he intended to do wrong, well...he's done wrong (and Cheney is just wrong).

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by Entropy]

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by Entropy]
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

If I'd been American and had voted, I would have been for democrat. Not because he's black (though he's just as white as he's black. As a parent of biracial kids I don't get this whole label thing.). I have to say that I think it's kinda cool though. I wouldn't have been swayed cause people thought there were riots or the million other silly rumors that went around with this. Lord, snopes must have been busy with the amount of ridiculous e-mails that went around from both sides.

I would have voted for him because the democrat party holds closer to my belief system than the republican. Simple as that. I am pretty sure that people voted for the same reason, no matter which party they voted for. Not because the Representative is perfect - but because it's the best out of two choices. It's like you want cherry pie but they only have banana or apple...so you pick which one of those that comes the next best.

I think that there was a lot of swaying for a few reasons. One was undoubtedly race. Another was a response to the way that the country is now and a desire to see change from that. There is probably umpteen more.

But for die hard republicans and democrats, they'll always be that. And that's cool. Diversity is what makes this world such a wonderful place. And only time will tell how Obama's leadership will go.

I don't blame republicans for being disappointed and frustrated. Heck, when the tables were turned democrats were. Ultimately I think that these labels can divide us though in weird ways. We're people who get along and can find things that we like and admire things in each other. As soon as this comes into the picture...bang. There's a lot of energy in it. I hope at the end people can remember that people are still who they are. :)
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

One of the reasons I wish Third party candidates were viewed more openly.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'm not Republican, and I'm disgruntled and disappointed. The Democratic party could have done better than Obama/Biden. Obama's an ultra-party liner who's talked a lot about shaking up the status quo, but hasn't actually done it.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Speaking of mudslinging, the Obama campaign was slinging mud fast and furiously at Sarah Palin, just because she energized the Republicans and frightened the Democrats. Then they aimed at her daughter and made her their target. That was abominable. Not to mention poor old Joe "The Plumber" Wurzelbacher and all the negative attention he received just because he dared to question Obama.

What has Obama ever done that makes you think he will change anything for the better?

[Edited on 6/11/08 by neling4]

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Originally posted by Entropy
One of the reasons I wish Third party candidates were viewed more openly.
Yeah, I frequently vote third party/independent. One of these days it'll make a diff ...

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

Originally posted by Angelique
I'm not Republican, and I'm disgruntled and disappointed. The Democratic party could have done better than Obama/Biden. Obama's an ultra-party liner who's talked a lot about shaking up the status quo, but hasn't actually done it.
Lol, good heavens Angelique, the man was just elected, give him a little bit more time to shake up the status quo. Even better, at least wait until he's actually the president. Give it a year I think and then we can start posting him not doing what he promised to do.

wait...why am I even talking about his issues, I'm not even Amarican....but then again....emmigration does look promising now. And if I did that, at least I'm used to black presidents :cracked . I still find it a little funny that people in Kenya is expecting Obama to help their country, and more importantly, the village / ethnic group / tribe / whatever from where his father, Barack Snr. came from.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Originally posted by steyn
Lol, good heavens Angelique, the man was just elected, give him a little bit more time to shake up the status quo. Even better, at least wait until he's actually the president. Give it a year I think and then we can start posting him not doing what he promised to do.
Well, I based my vote against him on his record in the Illinois Senate and in Washington DC. It's not like he never had a chance to make a difference before, and from what I've seen, his track record has been to maintain the status quo at pretty much any cost.

Furthermore, he's made promises about, say, education (which is mostly under control of state and local governments, not the president) that he cannot legally or constitutionally keep.

[Edited on 6/11/2008 by Angelique]

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Honestly...all the above pretty much sounds like every politician that stands a chance of getting elected. I don't know many that can deviate from status quo and make it. Guess that reflects stronger on us than it does them. (this isn't just for the states)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yes Neling I voted for Obama and if McCain had won i would have done the same for him. I know a lot of people in this board (or at least in chat) like to think I'm single track, one side-minded, but I'm rarely given chances to state my case.

I congratulate McCain for trying again, I still say in 2004 I would've voted for him. I was (and to be honest still am) very upset Bush won the primary (of all people) and even more upset he got himself another four years. But I think it was time to get new people and new ideas into the white house and no one McCain promised to bring in with him was going to do that (in my opinion of course). I think it's a smidge of a disgrace that he made such a reckless decision as to make his VP Palin when there are plenty of female republicans worthy of that position, if that's what he was looking to do. I also do not support that he used the very same campaign strategies he valiantly fought (but sadly lost to) back in '04 (the smear campaigns used by Bush.) He just is not the man I wanted for president.

Though I did just rant a bit, the initial purpose of this thread was simply to give well wishers a place to wish their congrats to Obama. I hope there is no pessimism or anger, hostility or indifference towards another on this thread mostly because the race is over and any amount of busting a gut on the internet about the whole thing isn't going to do squat. I am glad to see that the people who are simply out to flame his character are omitting this thread. And yes, John McCain is a good man. Yes he was a POW.

No I did not like Governor Palin, and if someone starts a thread about that, I'll gladly fill you in on my reasons. :D

Until then, Yay Obama! Yay new ideas and yay a new future!
Finally, in over 16 years, a president we can say 'Wow... He's genuinely smarter than me (no comments from the peanut gallery :smirk ) and I think I can look up to him... (and his VP)" I'm very excited to see what he can do and I'm even more excited to see the future this will bring four years down the road.

[Edited on 6/11/08 by Ult_Sm86]
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Actually, while state educational systems are run by that state, it doesn't mean the districts within the state are not subject to federal oversight.

A third of the presented Obama-Biden ticket's stance proposes reform to No Child Left Behind (NCLB), which, as I'm sure you know, is a federal mandate. Though it was proposed by two Democrats, it was signed into law Jan. 8, 2002 by George W. Bush. The cliche goes that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and while this act was intended to 'close the gap' in education across the country, as a federal mandate, it is has in fact caused chaos in many fully accredited, quality school districts across the country. John McCain also campaigned on reforms to NCLB.

Obama has also suggested investment in early childhood education, including improvements to Head Start -- a federal program currently deployed in every state and overseen by the Department of Health and Human Services.

The third part of his ticket's proposal suggests 'making college affordable to all Americans.' Part of this includes a plan to help students cover costs at public colleges/universites. My home state, Missouri, has had a program like this since 1993, which allows high school students who perform to a certain standard and perform community service to attend state junior colleges for free. This is certainly not a radically new program by that standard. It is also not new in comparison to federal Pell Grants, which were established in 1965.

And, yes, I'm sure it's quite obvious by now that I'm a Democrat and I voted for Barack Obama. Why?
Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
I would have voted for him because the democrat party holds closer to my belief system than the republican. Simple as that. I am pretty sure that people voted for the same reason, no matter which party they voted for.
I agree. I don't think I -- or anyone -- should have to justify my decision any more than a Republican who voted for Bush, or McCain.

[Edited on 6-11-2008 by Slarti]