Yeah, but when will we have the courage and the brain thing

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Artifical Heart

About the coolest thing ever, first time in history a complete organ can be replaced artifically on a constant base.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Wow, cool, not something I would think as a permanent replacement but something to use until a real heart is available for transplant.

That is, until they can figure out a better power supply, which doesn't involve recharging every couple of hours or wires going through the skin. The moment they crack that, then it's one small step towards...:shifty

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Every little bit helps. I met a lady whose daughter needed a Berlin Heart until she could receive a transplant. They had to get permission, and fly the docs over to America, but it did buy her time until, sadly, a child died in a wreck and his heart became hers. She is alive and active now AFAIK. But she would not have likely been able to hold on until the transplant w/o the Berlin heart.

It's all very scary, very problematic, and at the same time, very hopeful. Thanks for pointing out that article.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Wow, that's astounding. And wires are a small prices to pay for living until a donor organ can be found.

Moral of this story? BE AN ORGAN DONOR.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'm pretty excited about this, but dang, these things are expensive and cumbersome. Even if they iron out the kinks and make these things a bit less unaffordable, I'm keeping my name on the donor list. I think it would be awesome if as few people as possible would need an artificial heart in the first place.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven