Bias: We may not want it, but we have it

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

In the U.S. particularly, the election is causing an increasing dialogue in the media about the importance or unimportance of race in perception etc.

I was listening to NPR this afternoon and they were interviewing this sociology group at Harvard that designed a test of bias called the "Implicit Association Test". As with any kind of scientific testing, there must be a quantitative measurement for the results to mean anything. In this case, the measurement is reaction time and our ability to sort categories of positive and negative words along with faces of various genders, races, and nationalities. By measuring reaction time the test measures subconscious bias. (So though you may think you have none, the test may reveal unconscious bias.)

There is a test of African American racial bias, Middle Eastern bias, weight related bias... about 15 in all, including an Obama vs. McCain association test.

The Racial Bias, gender and weight bias tests and the results were pretty eye opening. Indeed, I like many, have bias where I don't want it.

Follow the "Demonstration" link to take a test.

-e
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

So which racial group do you hate the most, SK?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

The test said I had a slight bias against white Europeans.

-e
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

*gasp* You don't like me :puppy

Oh well, I tried doing the test but that meant I had to turn off the pop up blocker...which meant I had to do extra work to do the test...so I just skipped the test. I think I can go on without knowing who I have unconsciously a biased against.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I took a similar test before. It might be different now with the US election being what its turned out to be (historic no matter who wins!), but my results were similar, with a very slight bias against white Europeans.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I installed the new Flash player but still am apparently not smart enough to get the puppy to work.

Oh, well. Guess I'll live with my unknown prejudices in addition to the glaringly obvious ones (eg, young people and males and scrawny types and cat owners -- just kidding about some of those!).
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."