Obama as the antichrist

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Slarti »

Everybody’s heard the whole ’20 percent of Americans think Barack Obama is a Muslim,’ but when a coworker told me her mom had forwarded her an email saying Obama was the antichrist I thought it was an isolated looney. Nope.

CNN: An Antichrist Obama in McCain Ad?
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Obama as the antichrist

Post by wingyding »

Can we say, 'someone has way too much time on their hands to think of this crock of sh*t'?
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Obama as the antichrist

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Wow. That's stooping to an untold low, and the sad fricken part?

Some dummies are believing it.

But then, it was always gonna be harder for Obama cause he's not 100% (or at least appearing 100%) white.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Angelique »

Glad to see that the McCain campaign was only poking fun at the misconceptions, and they don't really believe the claims either.

Still, while I would have voted for Clinton, I won't be voting with her. I used to be just as smitten as a lot of other people with Obama's eloquence, until I took a look at his voting record, wrote his campaign, and found I didn't like his idea of dialog on issues. (Something along the lines of, "I know you're not happy about how I voted on this issue, and I'll pretend to appreciate your input, but really, you might as well have emailed a brick wall.")

I think calling him or even comparing him to the Antichrist is way over the line, and some of those supposed "prophecies" are bovine excrement, to say nothing of taking works of fiction like the Left Behind books as fact!

But I wonder if it's in accordance with Godwin's law if I point out Obama's popularity in Germany and compare that to the last time the German people went so wild over an eloquent speaker without looking into his record. I'm not saying Obama's Hitler. Just that history has proven time and time again that we cannot rely on eloquence and popularity when trying to select a good leader, and yet we make the same mistakes over and over.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Obama as the antichrist

Post by neling4 »

Excellent! There is a political thread here. Marvel doesn't allow political discussions on their forums because it tends to get out of hand, so I have been posting my political thoughts on powwows.com, where they are a bit more polite about it, but I don't mind posting here too.

Obama, the anti-Christ? I doubt it.

I mainly vote issues. I don't vote party, or race, or gender, and certainly not eloquence or good-looks. Just issues. Also, I vote for the people I know are honest. I don't like liars and I don't like being lied to, and I think voters need to look beyond media hype and find out for themselves what these candidates are like. Who do they associate with, how truthful are they, and do they put the county's best interests at heart, or their own interests and that of their political party?
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Elfdame »

Being an all-around skeptic by nature is a cross to bear at times, but other times it comes in handy, as I tend to ignore most of the stuff I get email-wise from both political camps. :shrug
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Freak »

I find it interesting how many people always say they vote issues although the candidates are continuing throwing out the money like hay. It's the same as with advertisement: everyone says it doesn't work on them, but no one would invest so much in it if it weren't.

In my opinion Obama mainly looks to be winning because the discrimination of age has become far more widespread than the discrimination by color nowadays.

Btw, the whole Antichrist thing is strictly based on social studies: the human brain is streamlined to take in information and store it, useless information like the source gets cut out. so if someone implies that Obama is somehow a very bad guy, you will only remember that information. And if you hear or read it often enough it becomes a little nagging in the back of your mind that will steer you off course. Maybe just a few inches, but those sum up.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Elfdame »

I guess that's true about streamlining, but when one actually prepares to vote (if one is an internet addict, ahem, not to mention any names starting with Elf and ending with Dame), one tends to ignore all the mudslinging emails and look at how the candidates are trying to sell themselves on their own websites, or check out their voting records. All the other stuff is, as you imply, advertising. *yawn*

Back when I was single, I had a dream that I was running for Prez. I told the party people (it was some new-fangled party from my subconscious) that I didn't know how to be prez and they said, "Ah, it's all marketing, you'll have advisors to tell you what to do." (Keep in mind that I grew up in the age of assasinations and Watergate and all.) So in my dream I was grocery shopping, rounded a corner, and there was one of those cardboard life-sized cutouts of me holding a bar of Velveeta, with a big question mark next to me, and a sign, "Win a date with the next President!"

I mean, how prescient can I get? It's all marketing nowadays.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Obama as the antichrist

Post by neling4 »

I would vote for you, Elfdame. I love Velveeta. It's the best cheese in the world! We can skip the date. OK? :LOL

If you fellows actually watch this ad, I think you will agree that it in no way suggests that Obama is the anti-Christ. My vacuum cleaner is the anti-Christ, according to my cat.

Here is the video. Judge for yourselves:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Mul ... 28e8f1f1d6

[Edited on 31/10/08 by neling4]

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Elfdame »

One more off-topic comment, and then I promise -- I'll quit hijacking this thread.

Velveeta, dear, is marketed as "cheese food". I can't remember who -- Geo. Carlin, David Brenner, PJ O'Rourke, Dave Barry? -- but someone remarked that if they have to CALL it "food," you should be suspicious of it. Heh heh heh ... but yeah, it melts easily and makes even cauliflower edible, so that's in its favor.

And now back to our regular, political discussion ... {Elfy skips out of the room to play with the parrot.}

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Obama as the antichrist

You know, to me this whole fricken election thing has been no more than a waste of money that could have been helping seniors or low income families or anything really.

It's highschool again. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Obama as the antichrist

Post by neling4 »

Originally posted by Elfdame
One more off-topic comment, and then I promise -- I'll quit hijacking this thread.

Velveeta, dear, is marketed as "cheese food". I can't remember who -- Geo. Carlin, David Brenner, PJ O'Rourke, Dave Barry? -- but someone remarked that if they have to CALL it "food," you should be suspicious of it. Heh heh heh ... but yeah, it melts easily and makes even cauliflower edible, so that's in its favor.

And now back to our regular, political discussion ... {Elfy skips out of the room to play with the parrot.}
LOL! I knew that. My ex-boyfriend mocked me incessantly for liking Velveeta, because it isn't really cheese. That's part of the reason he is my "EX" boyfriend. I don't care. I like Velveeta. I like "cheese foods". Velveeta for President, '08!

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Obama as the antichrist

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I don't know about you guys, but i am always thrown off voting for three reasons.

1- Many times what the candidate says will happen during presidency never does, and

2- the trash talking is worse than prom candidates. Do I really want to see people who bash others as president? That gives me chill. It shows lack of tact and maturity, especially for those running for president. Hillary was a major put down. McCain is upsetting too.

3- I read some of the comments under online polls from the people submitting them and I think, "No matter who votes, this country may or may not be run by idiots, but some of the people who vote sure are."

Religion is supposed to be separated from state and people seem to not to be able to swallow that.
Instead of looking towards positives, people look for negatives and that usually ends up in making things worse. Its a shame.

I still want Jesse Ventura, but alas, he is not ever running again.
one name: Bruce Campbell
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Obama as the antichrist

Post by neling4 »

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
I don't know about you guys, but i am always thrown off voting for three reasons.

1- Many times what the candidate says will happen during presidency never does, and

2- the trash talking is worse than prom candidates. Do I really want to see people who bash others as president? That gives me chill. It shows lack of tact and maturity, especially for those running for president. Hillary was a major put down. McCain is upsetting too.

3- I read some of the comments under online polls from the people submitting them and I think, "No matter who votes, this country may or may not be run by idiots, but some of the people who vote sure are."

Religion is supposed to be separated from state and people seem to not to be able to swallow that.
Instead of looking towards positives, people look for negatives and that usually ends up in making things worse. Its a shame.

I still want Jesse Ventura, but alas, he is not ever running again.
To be fair, the Obama campaign did that as well. As for the negatives, as I said before, I don't like politicians who lie to promote themselves and/or hide the truth. I can't believe they would have the best interests of our county at heart.

Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Entropy »

Curly Haired Girl,

It's typically not the candidates fault things don't get done. Other more important things come up and often fighting btn parties prevents the candidates promises.

Of course some are just outright liars.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Elfdame »

Which is why it hits me as funny that we get a national holiday to honor a preacher who organized his movement in churches, fuelled by his Biblically-laced speeches, and thereby changed the American landscape for the better. I am glad they didn't have that concept bandied about so much when I was in diapers, or my friends and grandchildren would still be in the back of the bus.

Oops. I am hijacking another thread. I wonder if the American Psychiatric Association recognizes thread-hijacking as a disorder ... maybe a subset of OCD or ADD?

Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Entropy »

we don't honor that he was a preacher. we don't honor his belief in God. we honor how he changed the world. i am assuming you're talking about M.L. King jr.

we also honor many other figures, some of whom are now more folk figures with the reality of what they did brushed under (Columbus anyone). while he did some great things the bad are typically brushed under.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Elfdame »

Right, but nobody resents the fact that his action was based on his beliefs, or that he used churches as his bases of operation, that sort of thing. It just seems odd to me, how the climate has changed.

Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Entropy »

The government has no place in enforcing religion. a school led prayer should not happen (if they want to pray themselves that's fine), creationism/intelligent design should not be taught (it's not science). the ten commandments should not be placed on government property. Marriage, as recognized by the government, should not be controlled by religion (ie gay marriage shouldn't be prevented because some religions disagree).

things are getting so heated in recent years, at least to my mind, because we have more people with different views. admittedly some of the are off their rockers or just looking for attention.

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Obama as the antichrist

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Entropy
(ie gay marriage shouldn't be prevented because some religions disagree).

things are getting so heated in recent years, at least to my mind, because we have more people with different views. admittedly some of the are off their rockers or just looking for attention.
I completely agree with these points.
Its understandable that some people don't agree with certain things like Gay Marriage. A Lot of that branches from how people were raised. I can respect that. What I don't understand is why can't people keep it to themselves? A room mate of mine just went to her sister and her wife's wedding on halloween. I was damn happy for them but some people in the hall just had to voice their opinions on how it was "wrong". Ok, fine? They are entitles to their beliefs but they should keep it to themselves. Not everyone shares the same beliefs, yeah? As far as I am concerned, everyone should have equal rights IN EVERYTHING, otherwise I consider it discrimination.

The sad thing is the person who trash mouthed the married couple always preaches equality. :shakeno

sorry for the off topic-ness guy!!

As for Obama, all we can be is optimistic about the up coming years. The same goes for anyone who gets in office. Shit happens, so we learn how to deal, survive and adapt.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Angelique »

I completely agree with these points.
Its understandable that some people don't agree with certain things like Gay Marriage. A Lot of that branches from how people were raised. I can respect that. What I don't understand is why can't people keep it to themselves?
You do realize that people say the same sort of things about homosexuality, right? Basically, we have both sides wishing the other side would keep something to themselves.

But no more thread hijacking. I'll put up with Obama, but it's not likely I'll be voting for another term for him, unless the person running against him really is the Antichrist.

[Edited on 12/11/2008 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Obama as the antichrist

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Angelique

You do realize that people say the same sort of things about homosexuality, right? Basically, we have both sides wishing the other side would keep something to themselves.

But no more thread hijacking. I'll put up with Obama, but it's not likely I'll be voting for another term for him, unless the person running against him really is the Antichrist.

[Edited on 12/11/2008 by Angelique]
I sense unneeded hostility(I could be wrong, damn internet). You misunderstand me. I simply meant that people need to suck it up and deal and let people live their own way without conflict, on both sides. Just wanted to clear that up. I meant no harm by it.

Obama seems like he would do a good job. As far as I am concerned the antichrist has yet to show. If Obama were the Antichrist I would still support him for my own reasons. But Antichrist is just a word. There is good and bad in everybody, some more than others. But for now, concern should be about our country rather than Obama's personal life or what have you. We elect a president to lead us, not so there is another person in the spotlight to bash or whatever.
I really fear for this country sometimes, and all previous years I felt really bad about the presidents, but this year I am a little more optimistic. Obama is the Antichrist and I am Catherine Zeta Jones.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Obama as the antichrist

Of course trying to 'keep it to themselves' would mean that they couldn't ever kiss, hold hands or admit that they are a couple in public, right? I mean, if all they were doing is getting married - then how is that any different from anyone else celebrating their marriage? Or did you just mean stop parades?

Bah. The offtopicness. It burns. I just really really hate that arguement. Because I can get someone not wanting to hear about how they shelped their boyfriend/girlfriend on the dinner table last night - but that kinda goes for whatever sexual preference you have. But when most people say 'keep it to themselves' they mean a - don't fight for equality and b - don't expect to be able to do the same things others do. Like hold hands or kiss. Cause that's rubbing our faces in it.

Please. Spare me. Living your life /= running around telling people how to live theirs. Until someone gay runs up to you and starts telling you that you should dump your significant other because it's wrong - that only same sex partnerships are good and pure and right - then it ain't the same thing at all. That kind of faux victim behaviour drives me nuts. (Not pointing a finger at you here ange. Just at the other people that I hear saying these things)

The point is that anyone Obama is here and only time will tell how he's failed and or triumped. No one is totally good or bad - even though there has been a lot of negative things like the economy to come out of this past government there were things that they accomplished too, right? But antichrist? LMAO.

Paws
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Obama as the antichrist

Post by Angelique »

I sense unneeded hostility(I could be wrong, damn internet). You misunderstand me. I simply meant that people need to suck it up and deal and let people live their own way without conflict, on both sides. Just wanted to clear that up. I meant no harm by it.
For reasons that I can't get into here, I have seen evidence that there are plenty of people on both sides of this particular issue who aren't interested in living and letting live unless it's on their own terms. It isn't about the nice people who just want to go about their business vs. the mean people who want to interfere, but more like people who want to do their thing or stand up for their cause, and anyone who disagrees is evil/Nazi/bigot/religious extremist/hate-monger/going to Hell and dragging all society with them. And I've had the misfortune of encountering people who clamor very loudly for tolerance, yet are remarkably unwilling to show much themselves.

I have been told to dump my religion because its teachings on homosexual conduct were "disgusting and vile," "bigoted," "evil," and such, for instance.

Not a very friendly atmosphere for people who aren't so easily pigeonholed as "us" or "them" or disagree with both sides. Any hostility that came across was intended to only reflect my unhappiness and frustration with a socio-political climate I feel is generally increasingly intolerant of honest and civil disagreement.

Nothing personal. Just lately, being told to keep something to myself, particularly in the name of tolerance, has a tendency to hit some raw nerves.

I have seen this displayed quite frequently and flagrantly in this election, too, with the mentality that Obama is the anti-Bush, and anyone who doesn't support him is labeled pro-Bush by default. Again, not true, and not right. But we've spent a lot of campaign time pigeonholing each other and ignoring inconvenient facts proving that the other side isn't all bad and our own side isn't all good. I had hoped that would have come to an end by now. It looks like it hasn't.

I honestly worry about what might happen if Obama came through on some of his promises. Robin Hood economics is great in theory, but won't work quite as well in reality because it assumes that corporations will accept higher taxes and a lower profit margin rather than downsize, find cheaper labor forces, and outsource. I also feel that his extreme views on abortion could stand to actually set women back, if the right for women to carry to term and not be compelled to abort by economic, workplace, or educational situations, and the rights of their children are not defended with equal or even greater zeal. I worry about what might happen if he makes Supreme Court appointments. I don't trust his judgment.

That being said, I do hope he succeeds in bringing the country together. In fact, I'd like to even see some effort at bipartisanship replacing the name-calling and mud-slinging I've seen this election.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Obama as the antichrist

Post by neling4 »

If Obama were the Antichrist I would still support him for my own reasons. But Antichrist is just a word.
I keep telling you guys: MY VACUUM CLEANER IS THE ANTI-CHRIST! .:hideeyes:eeevil

My cat, Mr. Fluffy, says so, and he should know.

[Edited on 13/11/08 by neling4]