Westboro Baptist Church Burned

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

WBC burned

Honestly I'm surprised it took someone this long to do it. Although I don't advocate burning down the meeting place of any group, these guys are hateful enough to warrant it.

[Edited on 7/8/08 by wingyding]
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

Obviously violence is never the answer to this sort of thing, and all this has really done is given the WBC more of the media coverage they crave to try and spread their 'message' *spits* but I gotta admit there is a little part of me going :eeevil
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

So is this a hate crime or a crime of passion?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Well, I'm homophobic (in the sense that it's my deeply- and sincerely-held religious belief that God did not intend for sex to be between two of same gender), but that doesn't stop me from having gay friends. And I don't see the point to picketing a funeral; nobody's going to learn anything from that. All of this stuff just upsets me and makes me feel sorry for all parties: the homosexuals who felt dissed and the people who couldn't show their concern in a kind way. I don't have to agree with someone to try to live in peace with him or her. When my kids were shacking up, they knew I totally didn't approve. Didn't stop me from making birthday cakes.

Guess I just don't belong in this century.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I like to believe the wheel always turn. You get what you deal out. You be mean to the world, and the world be mean back to you.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

That's called karma, Steyn and I totally believe in it. Also, it's the Golden Rule. "Treat others as you wish to be treated." They wouldn't be judging and hateful unless they wanted it in return. :shifty Seriously though, I'm ashamed to say I'm of the same religion as those people. Not the same denomentation, of course, but still. I've been taught my entire life as a Christian, do not judge, it's not our place. That is for God to do when we die and no one else. I can't say I believe in homosexuality, but I can't say that I don't believe in it either. I believe that the Bible is right when it says that God does not condone it, but on the other hand, that was written several hundred years ago, and I believe that God can change His mind. so on the one hand, I think that several hundred years ago, God did not approve. I think today, He sees how we have evolved as a human race and no matter what those assholes say, "God LOVES Fags". Sorry, this just strikes a really bad nerve with me. Same as the idiot woman who pickets soldiers funerals.... If I ever meet her, she's gonna have a broken nose in 10 seconds or less.
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Basically the reason why God disapproved of homosexuality was to make sure that the Jews, and later on Christians, would keep multiplying. A great way of making sure His religion stays alive. But now, the human race is a bit overmultiplied if you know what I mean. We have better medical institutions than they had in those times, so middle age isn't at 25 anymore, but at 45

[Edited on 7/8/2008 by steyn]
puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

I'm a Christian too, and a great advocate for gay rights. The issue I have with the Bible is 1) It was written hundreds of years ago in a dead language and 2) It was written by men, not God, which meant that it was open to interpretation if you know what I mean?

And the sacred text isn't so scared that it's above being tampered with alas, history is full of examples of people twisting the Bible to suit their own needs. For example, the passage that was used as an excuse for the Burning Times where thousands where executed as witches. In the original text is read 'Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live' but King James of England had it changed to 'witch' to suit his own ends.

So how do we really know the passage in question if the original word of God, and someone not putting their own spin on things?

Anyway, that's my take on this lovely controversial topic :) I guess I can just thank my mum (a deeply devout woman and a teacher of religion at school) to raise me to question faith.
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Those're the same people, Esy. Unfortunately, they're right next door in Kansas. The Kansas City press have mostly stopped reporting much on them to not encourage them, but I do remember seeing on the news they were torched a bit.

The woman who does all the military funeral protests is the daughter of the founder of the 'church.' Of course, in response to these clowns, our area also has more Patriot Guard volunteers to stop those protests.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

Ah. I thought they were, but I wasn't sure. :shrug But that's good though! means I'd be killing two birds with one fist to the face. :cracked
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Originally posted by Elfdame
Well, I'm homophobic (in the sense that it's my deeply- and sincerely-held religious belief that God did not intend for sex to be between two of same gender), but that doesn't stop me from having gay friends. And I don't see the point to picketing a funeral; nobody's going to learn anything from that. All of this stuff just upsets me and makes me feel sorry for all parties: the homosexuals who felt dissed and the people who couldn't show their concern in a kind way. I don't have to agree with someone to try to live in peace with him or her. When my kids were shacking up, they knew I totally didn't approve. Didn't stop me from making birthday cakes.

Guess I just don't belong in this century.
I think you fit just fine Elfdame :). The message I that I think is the most important is 'don't spread hate'. That doesn't mean you can't have your own convictions, just don't be hateful and hurtful with them.

I would never expect someone that holds religious or other beliefs wherein that they don't approve of something to start parading for them, but I think the idea is to enourage people to just stop throwing such hateful things around about it.

So you've got it alright hun.

There's also a bunch of misconceptions that people hold about things over the years too and I think that everyone also likes those to be cleared up, be they racial profiling, gay rights or religion.

Awesome conversation people. I think that we have great convos here, even if we hold different belief systems, because we hold tight to that principle of not spreading hate.

And to me? Loving, respecting and being kind is the best thing in the world you can do.

You guys make me smile. :)

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Just throwing my two cents in on how the topic has morphed:
1.) If God wouldn't condone homosexuality, then why would he create, or at the very least have some hand in creating, the people who honestly believe it is imprinted in their very soul to be attracted to members of the same sex?

2.) I can't, and never will, accept anything that begins with the words 'god hates'. It's simply unfathomable for me. The God I believe in is one that does not need to be feared, and would not hate any creation of his. After all, he is God, not your drill instructor.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

God creates people with all kinds of inclinations, from the downright criminal tendencies to mere personality quirks. It doesn't mean acting on them is okay. I had a plaque in my room as a kid that said, "Who you are is God's gift to you. What you make of yourself is your gift to God." I think it would be more accurate (particularly since I'm pretty sure I was created with a nasty temper) if it said "Who you are is God's gift- and often His challenge- to you."

It is perfectly within my nature to chuckle in Schadenfreud over the fire and laugh out loud over the Phelpses playing hate crime victims! (Doesn't feel good, Freddy, does it?) The challenge is for me to overcome that aspect of my nature, remember that these are the sort of people who rejoice when soldiers who are only trying to help the people of Iraq and Afghanistan get blown up, pick up my own cross and try not to behave the way they would if an Episcopalian or Metropolitan church got torched.

So no, I'm not thrilled about the fire, and I feel bad for everyone involved.

But still, I do find it kind of suspicious that none of their stock-in-trade picket signs were damaged.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

HAH! I was just gonna post that, but you beat me to it. :)

There is protesting, and then there is hate mongering.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

On a related note I found this on LJ when the WBC was denied entry into Canada:

Imagine this bunch of placard waving crazies marching up to the border post... and there's Sir Ian McKellen standing at the line, in full Gandaulf [sic] robes bellowing:

" You. Shall. Not. Pass. Eh!! "
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Update! The Kansas Bureau of Investigations ruled the Aug. 2 fire was an arson.