Sex and the elderly

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Sex and the elderly

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Good article to get you thinking about what your rights are as an elderly person.

I personally find it a shame that in this case, they virtually had none. No privacy, no rights. I get the fact that they weren't in the same mindspace as they were in their younger years, but seriously - why are people so darn squeamish about it. It brought joy to them, and didn't harm anyone.

This is something that I've never thought about, but I will now. Another conversation that I'll need to have with my own kids when they get old enough. I know that I'd never bring an issue up with my own folks, and I certainly hope that if they find someone at an advanced age that the other partners family doesn't either.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Sex and the elderly

Post by JSherlock »

Wow. That's a really moving story. Poor Bob and Dorothy. I think the families were in the wrong here. The elderly need their privacy and their fun just as much as younger folks. It is kind of icky to think of the not-young and culturally non-sexy body having sex - but it's the brain inside that gives us the hormones. I'm glad they can't quite remember what happened. As my own parents age, they're still very open about sex with each other. I think that's awesome, and hope they they'll still have sex when they're very old. :)
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Sex and the elderly

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, I teared up reading that… along with being just plain impressed a 95-year-old man could get it up. ><

I have an elderly cousin who used to point at his white hair and say ‘just because there’s snow on the roof, doesn’t mean there’s no fire in the furnace.’ And while I don’t want to think in detail about his sex life, bully for him that he has one and I couldn’t imagine anybody telling him he couldn’t do it.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Sex and the elderly

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

There's a pretty big difference between "elderly" and "demented". Should the elderly be able to do whatever they want? Yes. The article isn't really about that though...

The part that got me was the "She had her mouth on my dad's penis! And it's not even clean!" right at the beginning. :doh! It's the same squickiness over sex concerning anyone who is unable to care for themselves - children and the mentally disabled. Not saying they shouldn't be allowed to have sex, just saying - yuck! Yuuuuck!

My parents have never been open about sex and I hope they never lose their minds so it can stay that way.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Sex and the elderly

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

LOL. Yeah, I can't say that I'd want to watch it or think about it for sure - but so long as it isn't harming anyone...

You bring up a good point too with the mentally disabled - that's a hard one for many, but providing they are of enough mind to give consent and it isn't harming anyone again...it's a natural part of wanting to be a human being.

Kids are definate no's. They do need to be protected. Now teens? That's where the line starts to blur again. That is a debate for another day however ;).

It's cause sex = bad in so many people's minds.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Sex and the elderly

Post by Angelique »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
You bring up a good point too with the mentally disabled - that's a hard one for many, but providing they are of enough mind to give consent and it isn't harming anyone again...it's a natural part of wanting to be a human being.

It's cause sex = bad in so many people's minds.
For some reason, I was recollecting some local news headlines of the past few months, including a few about octogenarian couples marrying and holding their receptions in their nursing homes' dining rooms.

If only that couple had been allowed to marry as I think they made it quite clear was their wish, we'd be saying "d'awwwww," rather than "Oh the horror!" or "ewwww."
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Sex and the elderly

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I doubt that getting married would have any effect on their hygiene, so I would still be saying ew.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir