board is cranky at the moment...

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

...It was unavailable for most of monday. Fortunately it's back, but I still get server errors. Especially the "Today's Posts" page is hard to reach.
Anybody else experiencing problems?

Server Error
The following error occurred:

Code: Select all

The server closed the connection while reading the response. Contact your system administrator.
Please contact the administrator.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
wsg
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wsg »

I know El it does get that way sometimes I hate it when it does that!Oh hey did ya get my sisters u2u?
"It's one o'clock bub! Time ta get yer face ripped off!"--Logan
Technical Administrator
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Rogue PHP Script

Post by Technical Administrator »

If anyone continues to have this problem, please U2U me with as much information as possible.

-Northstar
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Just to let everyone know that on Monday the HD which holds our file information was severly damaged according to Richard, Director of Operations.

The server hard drive is severely damaged, the server is being taken offline for urgent maintenance to try and save some data where possible. In addition to this our engineers at the datacenter are going to try and clone the hard drive to save all data/settings/configuration.

If a clone is not possible, a new HD will need to be installed, all data on the primary hard drive will be lost. If you are located on this server, please check your local PC for your last backup to allow us to restore your data.

However according to Ben only the HD that holds the files of the websites was damaged and not the sql database/information which is housed on another HD.

The datacenter are still attempting to clone the primary hard drive and extract data off of it. It does look likely that user data may be lost in this instance, however nothing has been confirmed to us at this moment in time.

I would like to mention that MySQL Databases are not on the primary hard-drive, so even if website files are lost, the information/data in the mysql databases will still be intact.

Some websites did lose file information but Nightscrawlers and The X Dream survived. There maybe problems here and there and bugs maybe being worked out but overall they got it up and running pretty quick with no file/information loss.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

been getting this over the past week:
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at nightscrawlers.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Technical Administrator
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Rogue PHP Script

Post by Technical Administrator »

I would definitely say that this is due to maintenance on our host, then, and unavoidable. I really hope that it is fixed as soon as possible and hopefully our host will give us as much information about our current status as possible.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I've looked at our server stats - everything is running well except for one partition (once again a host controlled issue.) I've made a complete backup of the site- mysql and all so even if soemthing does go wrong, we will be able to return gracefully.

Meanwhile, it looks like the host as on top of things right from the beginning:
Ashley Downtime Information

On 19th December 2005, the web server Ashley suffered a serious SCSI hard drive fault on the primary hard drive which contains 65% of the websites hosted on the server, as well as the operating systems and software.

Time Line

Our Network Operations Center became aware of a fault at 04:54am, and notified all responsible staff, including senior managers, and linux server engineers at 04:56, 2 minutes after the alert.

At 05:39am our datacenter engineers performed onsite diagnostics, at this stage the webserver was still online, however with email and cpanel/whm access offline.

At 05:58am our datacenter engineers removed the primary hard drive, and replaced it with a new SCSI drive, with an original RHEL 4 image, and cPanel.

At 06:27am our datacenter engineers replaced the hard drive, and completed the installation/setup of cpanel.

At 06:39am our third party disaster management company started to perform a server clone of all data and configuration files.

At 13:00pm the webserver was brought online with 90% of the data restored.

At 15:33pm the webserver was online with all data and configuration completed, all services at this stage had been restored including email, cpanel/whm, web server access and mysql database access.

Protection we had in place.

- Paid third party disaster management contracts
- 4 hard drives per server lowering chance of 100% loss
- Backup spare/blank hard drive in each server for quick restore
- Early warning fault detection systems
Hopefully - this was a one time deal.

Keep us posted if you get any additional unusual errors while trying to access the site. I'll try to keep us up to date with news from our host as well.

Thanks,
-e
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

well, my problem wasn't a one time thing... it's been happening intermitently all week. it comes and goes. at its worst, it kept me from connecting to the site for 2 days but usually is back within an hour or so. it's just that's the first time i actually copy and pasted the error...
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

My members have complained about connecting to the site and errors before the HD was damaged. They don't seem to have a problem now. However, there are times that I cannot connect for periods of times. This is usually in the early hours of 2am-3am PST. Most likely maintenance in those cases.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Hi - yeah, I meant hopefully the drive breakdown and the events leading up to it were a one time deal. As in the server isn't like this permanently.

I recognise that there were multiple issues in the previous week regarding having proper access to the site, however what I posted was the log of them replacing the drive on Ashely (our server) on Dec 19th (Greenwich time).

As of about Dec. 20th you should be experiencing less and less problems accessing the site. If this isn't the case - please continue to post to this thread so we can inform the host.

Thanks
-e