An utterly bizarre question about high post counts....

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Twice, now, I've logged on and magically found that my post count has increased by several hundred overnight. I've gone from 800 and something to 1470-ish since I last logged on.

Not that I'm complaining, but I know I haven't made that many posts, and I fear there might be a system bug "stealing" counts from other deserving souls and assigning them to me.... :shame
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

hmmm.... probably related to me restoring posts to the movie forum. you may be counted twice for every post made in the movie forum. i'll look into it :)
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Actually, I don't think that would make sense because I hardly ever posted in the movie forum. I wouldn't have jumped from -300 to 600 (rounding, of course). So even if it tripled the posts, I wouldn't have nearly as many posts; I'd might be going from -330 to -318 or something like that...

However, it would make sense if it caused some members to go back to what their original post count was before you made them negative post counts. Take mine, for example: I have 594 posts. I believe that is the number you changed into a negative number (-333) so it might have reset it...

This still does not explain why someone without a negative post count would increase so much, unless your movie section theory is correct on them...

So perhaps the movie crawler theory works on non-negative post members and my negative post reset theory works on negative post members...

But, then again, what do I know? I'm the over-thinker. :P

EDIT: And, unless you shut off post counts in this forum as well, I did not go down a post. But, then again, that could merely be a little tiny thing that makes no relevance to the topic. *shrugs*
Cocnuts.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

I was thinking that maybe something happened to the no-post-count in Off Topics Antics when the forum was fixed. Every post there was added to the count of a user.

But that's just me. :p

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Originally posted by Siona
I was thinking that maybe something happened to the no-post-count in Off Topics Antics when the forum was fixed. Every post there was added to the count of a user.

But that's just me. :p

~Siona
I WAS thinking about that, but I remember my post count was set on 594 before Jill changed it to -333, if I can remember right... But that IS a good theory because I post a good bit in Off-Topic Antics... However, I never imagined I posted THAT much over there... I hardly post anywhere, really... But who knows? (Jill, hopefully. :P)

EDIT: Is the post count in this forum shut off? It isn't counting my post count up. It isn't as if I care, I'm just thinking maybe it has something to do with the posts...?

EDIT the 2nd: Alright, I made a fake post in one of the forums, and it raised my post count. Then I deleted it, of course... I set it up for experimental purposes. :puppy Anyway, is the post count for this forum shut down? I honestly don't care if it is, though. I was just curious. :D
Cocnuts.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I'm more inclined to believe Siona's "Off Topic" post theory. I had 502 posts to my name Sunday afternoon. Now it has increased by 390. So it did not double.

No Sapphie. Site Announcements and Tech Support does not raise your post count. It is shut off here as well.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

That was my original theory too. I took one look at my avatar yesterday and thought my little panel was normal...then did a double take. I post in Off-Topic Antics a whole heckuva lot. And I jumped about 2000 posts...no joke.

I'm pretty sure if I counted the times I posted in the TPAM thread, the What are You Doing? thread and the Pool Party thread we'd get around that amount...whoa.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
AquaFlame
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AquaFlame »

Ok, before I saw this thread I hadn't thought much about it, but when I used to come here alot I didn't post all that much but I still had around 70 or 80 something posts. And only not too long ago when I finally logged back onto Nightscrawlers it said I only had 8 posts total.

When I saw it I didn't really care because I don't really pay attention to the post count. But it still made me curious about it a little. Only, at the time I thought that some of my posts had been deleted or something and that was why, but now I'm not sure.
"What?! Boom-Boom?! You're gonna place my life in the hands of a maniac?" Kurt from Evo.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

It probably was the Off Topic Antics. I know I've posted several hundred times in there and that's how my post count when from 800-2200.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

THATS how I got so many posts. Yes I am known as the local add poster child but still....I didn't think I'd done it THAT MUCH.

I'm gonna let you computer pro's handle it but I'll just voice myslef and say I didn't post in Movie Kurt all too often and i think I went down...and then up....and then up and then back down...????
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post Count Problems

Post by Mistress D »

Whut the...? Why has everyone's post count suddenly skyrocketed? I was a Bandersnitch this morning, now I'm a Swashbuckler! And it's happened to everyone! What's up with that?! :?
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

to me it shows you as a 'Boggie' with 260 posts. Swashbuckler is 1,500 or more, IIRC... so, i dunno...
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

It showed me as a Swashbuckler before. And I STILL only had 104 posts this morning!!

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

when the site went down and then back up again, your post count may have been reset to include posts made in the off-topic section, which normall does not record your post count. I can't explain it going up to Swashbuckler, but that could be an explanation for it going up to 260(ish).
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

ohhhh.... ..So, is it gonna go down again, or can I keep my new posts?