AArgh!

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

AArgh!

Post by kladyelf »

Raaargh!

*pulls hair - ow*

help! i can't see smileys or pictures on this board!! its so frustrating when someone puts up a lovely new smiley or piccie for caption fic and all i get is a little box with a little red x in it... on Netscape and Explorer - i have a theory that it may be my security settings on my compy (tho i'm not sure how one changes them...) but other than that i have no idea.

any thoughts on how i could fix this?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

AArgh!

Post by Northstars Love »

I had that same problem because of my firewall. It sort of froze them all(the smilies) and they never were animated. It was a setting in the program. Sometimes cleaning out my temp files and cookies help. Sometimes restarting my computer helps too.

Does this happen all the time? Or just occasionally?
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

AArgh!

Post by kladyelf »

most graphics i can't see, smileys, buttons, the stars under a person's name, but others i can, eg: your northstar pic, and your Wonder Woman sprite (although they are exceptions to the rule...) so basically is very frustrating.
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

AArgh!

Post by Bamfette »

well since you can see some, i think i know what may be causing the problem, but not how to fix it. see, we have our graphics directories protected with .htaccess files to prevent people elsewhere from linking to them. if a website outside our specified list of domains tries to put an image on their page by linking to images here directly, they get a broken image, instead. i am not willing to get rid of these .htaccess files, or people will begin stealing our avatars and smilies again, and our bandwidth will exceed the limits set by our server again, crashing the site. it's happened before, which is why we did that in the first place.

the .htaccess file should be allowing viewing within the site no problem, but for you it aparently is not. it seems that for some reason i can't figure out, it recognizes you as a *website* trying to link to the graphics....

it stikes me as somethig that is likely to do with a firewall. are you using one?
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

AArgh!

Post by Nightfollower »

i'm having the same prob, but with the computers at school, and i have no idea if they use a firewall.
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

AArgh!

Post by kladyelf »

firewall?

I have no idea,

phooey, i thought it might be to do with the whole security thing.

Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

AArgh!

Post by Northstars Love »

Since you don't know if it is a firewall on your computer, I must assume you don't have one. Unless, you are running Windows XP in which case you automaticly have a firewall since XP comes with one. Whether it is activated is another thing.

Do you have XP?