'

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

'

Post by sevati »

Just wanted to post this where the people in charge could see it ;)

I noticed a few days ago that posts from roughly October 20th- November 1st had a error of some sort where all the apostrophes ' were turned into " ' ". That problem seems to have been fixed (thanks to whomever fixed it, 'twas driving me crazy), and the error does not show in new posts. It is still showing in older post (I personally haven't found any before the 20th and I'm guessing the reason it's still there is because they can't be changed back), and now signatures are showing the same error, like mine *points down* and DarkBamf's:

'D'OH!'
--Dave Cockrum, 2003

Thread showing the error in posts on a wide range of days: viewthread.php?tid=2895

Thread that I started and am positive didn't have the error when I first posted it (because I went back many times to edit more of a summary in): viewthread.php?tid=2975

I noticed that the quick reply field had been changed, and wondered if that could have anything to do with it.

edit: I now see that posts affected with ' go back as far as December 2002. But the thread has to have had a reply in the past week or so to be affected. Example: viewthread.php?tid=1421

another edit: Or not. This thread hasn't been replied to in over a month and has been affected by ' : viewthread.php?tid=2656
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

'

Post by Bamfette »

i know. but there is no way to fix it. we didn't change anything, nothing, not one tiny line of code. the error happened itself out of the blue one night, replacing apostrophe's all over the place with that string of characters, it doesn't matter how old the post was. and it has since appeared to have fixed itself since we can use 's again. but any posts made before the bug happened that were altered due to it can not be changed back without going in and editing them one by one.

as for the quick reply box, i am as baffled by that as you are. as mentioned, we (as in, I, since i am the only one to do any coding on the forum) haven't done anything to the forum's code in about 2 months. it just changed at the same time as we got that bug.
jimmy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

'

Post by jimmy »

yaay! im not nuts
ive been seen those things everywhere

and when im trying to read a post its always in my way
first i thought it was my computer or some thing

jimmy:evotodd
:respecttoad nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nickelodeon :D yeah! The First Kids Network :thumbup
And Now you know, 'cause its Mikes Super Short Show!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

'

Post by SheCat »

I've been going over all my fanfics and editing them. I think the fic writers were hit hardest, the stories are devils to read without the apostrophes.
Everything can be fixed by editing, thank God. And MS Word is being handy with find and replace. Whatever the problem is, it's annoying but no unsolvable. I'm just getting frustrated going through all my old fics.
BTW, some of the threads weren't affected all the way. My fics "Tempting Fate" and "Tempest Unbridled" were only affected partway through (thank God! "TU" is twelve pages long!). Some fics only had problems up until the third line. "TU" only had my Author's Comment affected, as did "TF". Again, thank heavens for small favors.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

'

Post by sevati »

Oh! I didn't know you didn't touch Quick Reply. I just assumed it had been changed to allow for faster replies without all the smilies making the page longer to load for dial-up modem users. I actually like it better when it's simpler like this. All the animations were distracting when I was trying to put my thoughts into words.

Now, am I imagining things, or when the quick reply changed, it didn't have a 'Use signature?' field? Yet now it does. Odd.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

'

Post by Bamfette »

it didn't. but then some people were complaining that their sigs were 'disappearing'. well their sigs were there but because there was no checkbox for it to show up, it never appeared in posts
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

'

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I noticed it in my murder story over in off topic antics and in my thingy (signature...whatever)
At least I know i'm not going crazy and typing messages to Sputnik or something! lol
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

'

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Bamfette
it didn't. but then some people were complaining that their sigs were 'disappearing'. well their sigs were there but because there was no checkbox for it to show up, it never appeared in posts
I thought there was a change to the Quick Reply box. I figured Quick Reply now meant no siggies. But now I understand. Jill, do you know what could be wrong? Could it be some sort of bug in the system?
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

'

Post by Siona »

The box is there now, but the smilies are still gone. But it seems to have been corrected so far.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.