Java chat revamped

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Java chat revamped

Post by HoodedMan »

I have entirely revamped the back end of Java chat. It should look the same on the front end (with the minor addition of an entertaining disclaimer), but it's much smaller and faster. Please let me know if there are any problems with how it's displayed or with how it functions. Please also let me know what your browser and operating system are.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Java chat revamped

Post by Slarti »

I have Windows Vista and Firefox and it looks great to me. The disclaimer is also amusing as hell >< and endless! I was in there for a while and it ran faster and I had no problems.

Of the people in chat when I was testing it out, Esy said it didn't work on hers, but that she'd already talked to you about it. Freja just said the text looked too small to her.

Thanks for working on it HM!! :D
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Java chat revamped

Post by steyn »

the text is large for me, maybe it's just freja's firefox's settings.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Java chat revamped

Post by Elwing »

As always thank you for the time and effort you invest here. It looks and works great on my computer back home, but the letters seem a bit smallish (though not troubling so) I also use Firefox.

But I was away for two days and suffered from cold turkey. So first, I tried to access the chat from my father's computer, and the next day from my sister's. In both cases java wouldn't load; they both use IEXP and windows XP. I think security settings may be the culprit here. No opportunity was offered to instal missing software. I didn't have the time to really look into it.

Anyway, on the second day when Java chat didn't load and all I got the see was the disclaimer. Gave me a nice WTF and a big LOL when I read it. Heh!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Java chat revamped

Post by HoodedMan »

Oops, I meant to post this in Site Announcements & Tech Support; I'll move it there now. I'll look into these Java loading issues, but if you can't load the test Java applet at http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml, there's not much I can do on my end.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Java chat revamped

Post by Elwing »

I think these computers did not have the java applet installed. But the odd thing is the opportunity to install it was not offered. I had the same problem early december, when I was in London. I used a computer at an internet cafe; first I tried IEXP, and I could not get it to work. The computer also had firefox installed, and I tried that- it did not have java installed, but when I hit the chat it offered me the opportunity to install the java plugin. And after a simple "yes" it works fine.
I think if I go look for the java module and install it manually it will work in IEXP, but as I said, I did not know where to look right away and I did not have the time to dive into it. It's a pity though, and it may bother newbies. Maybe it is a good idea to post a link to the needed software in the FAQ? (if it isn't there yet!)
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”