Small "Off Topic Antics" Section suggestion. . .

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

The Off Topic Antics section is, well, huge. I think it might be the biggest place on here. It's a little hard for newer people like myself and others to find their way around it, and finding out if new polls you want to start have been made before takes a while.

I know that it's not my desision or anything, and I sort of feel a little rude suggesting this, but I think that the Off-Topic section should be a little more organized.

Is that a good idea? What do you guys think?

[Edited on 18/5/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

My opinion is that it's pretty organized as it is.

If the topic isn't on the first page, it's old.
Plus, I don't recall seeing any polls in general Off-Topic.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm inclined to partially agree with 'Tober. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure we had it divvied up into sections back in the day ('03) Before the crash that is. Movie section, book section, tv, what have you. Again, this may be a faulty memory, but I think the problem with that was maintaining so many mods.

If this wasn't the case the problem still applies. You need mods to supervise each section and everyone already has their hands filled with RL stuff and whatever, and promoting extra mods for something like organizing Off Topic into little singular areas.... sounds like a good idea... but is more or less a waste of time.

I also partially agree with Croc -- if they're not on the first page that usually does mean they're not recent. However, some may still be relevant and haven't been commented on. Sometime, if you have a topic you want to post about in there and you're not sure if it's been done or not, give it a look in the search engine. You'll be very surprised. My Star Trek topic found its way back from page 3 to number 1. Not sure how, even I forgot about it!
:smirk
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I personally think the off topics section is as organised as it needs to be. Old threads go in the back, new threads in the front. Old threads are old because no-one posts in them anymore, newers ones stay in front because people like posting in them, it's like an organism, it adapts to its environment and it's environment is the people's desires on what to post.

Plus I think the Off topics were much more disorganized before, and frankly, what else would you like it to be organised in? Polls are just normal threads that people like to point their observations and ideas in, only difference is that a poll keeps track.

Besides, for me, its structure is good enough. Welcome section to welcome people, danger section for the hot topics, Word games for the unnecessary one word posts, and then the normal off topics section for all topics that doesn't got anything to do with marvel or comics or movies based on marvel comics.

that's just my two cents

[Edited on 18/5/2009 by steyn]
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I was going to say what Steyn said until he said it for me.

-e
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Well, all I meant was that there are a lot of interesting polls in there, and I'd love to have conversations about a lot of them, but they're hard to find.

I see what you mean about not having enough Moderators, and it isn't a nessisary thing to be done, but it would be nice to have a movies section or a books section. I just think that if you love talking about books and reading them, it would make it easier to find a place to have a chat.

But you guys are right, it isn't needed.
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Just bump/make a topic if you want to discuss it. It's not like the site is so busy it will get lost in all the traffic.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

(Small correction to everything I've been saying)

I keep using the word polls, and I mean threads. Sorry for any confusion. I started this when I was very new.