Poll: Is Widget really THAT annoying?

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.

Total votes: 0

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Keep in mind that the last bot with the type of brain he has was supposed to just "listen" for two months before speaking. Perhaps Widget should follow his example. Even though as I've pointed out, he is my bot, I do want to know what people think.

Oh, and he'll notify when there are new posts on the forum soon. It's just a new programming language and I have to figure out how to do that.

Thanks!
-HoodedMan
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

I love Widget! Let him keep yapping away! :D
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I like widget like he is
Wouldn't he get smarter while he rambles on?
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

I don't fit into any of the poll answers. :P I like him sometimes, and others I just wish he'd shut up >< I don't think he should be totally silent, and there's really no happy medium for me, soooo, yeah. LOL.

and woo for posting posts... that would be redundant if you didn't know what I was talking about :toothy
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, the point is now somewhat moot because due to a power failure, Widget has lost his brain. I'm going to try to repair it, but in the meantime, he's going to be quiet for a week or so while he learns. The check_forum module is of the highest priority, not his rambling.

Cheers!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

awww, sad :(
ImageImage

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I realize this may be moot for the moment, but since he will be back I'll comment.

My opinion is a lot like Esy's. It's not like 'die, Widget!' but I do find it irritating when he's being overused. He's always been annoying when he's overused, this just gives him more opportunity to be annoying because it's a new toy and people are constantly prodding it.

While I get that it's a cool concept, and it's your channel, I do think if and when he returns in this new AI form maybe people need to cool it a little bit and realize not everybody wants Widget to dominate the room.

It's the same thing as any common courtesy in chat -- to be respectful of others and try not to annoy each other.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Yeah, I can totally see where that would come from. I'm thinking though hopefully, as with any toy, once the novelty wears off it will die down as well :).
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Well, the point is now somewhat moot because due to a power failure, Widget has lost his brain.
That sucks.

In the immortal words of former Vice President Dan Quayle:
What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
Poor widget!

-e
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Slarti
My opinion is a lot like Esy's. It's not like 'die, Widget!' but I do find it irritating when he's being overused. He's always been annoying when he's overused, this just gives him more opportunity to be annoying because it's a new toy and people are constantly prodding it.
Good! This is the kind of feedback I was looking for: something I can do something about! I may not have made it clear before, but I can put rate limits on any module, including the HAL module.

So, the conversations are kind of cute sometimes but if Widget only piped up once or twice a minute and ignored non-commands otherwise, I'd have no problem with that.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

or you could do what we all hope and dream for. When someone goes uber overboard with the widget commands they get a swift kick in the patootie right out of chat :cracked
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

zomg, major deja vu reading this thread ><

anyway, yeah, that'd be *amazing* HM.
ImageImage

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

I'm fine with widget talking, and some of the insane things he comes up with are priceless in context; but when it gets to the point of every other line being something nonsensical you have to sort through to carry on a decent group conversation, it's goes overboard.

I vote for him just keeping a bit quieter till he learns a little more, of course after you've given him the proverbial brain surgery.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

One thing I would find annoying about him is that he's now offline so often; unfortunately, he's still on my computer and being moved from home to work, from class to class... and sometimes I just forget to bring him back online. I'm going to put him on a computer that's relatively permanently online this evening.