Love and Monsters - Feb/March Challenge Entry!

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I'm posting this in two parts. Mostly because posting the first part will encourage me to get the second part finished and proofed. ^_^ This is really more of my own UXM musings than a holiday centric fic- but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless! General disclaimer applies. Obviously I am not Marvel Inc. and own none of this.

---

Kurt turned slowly in the empty room. There wasn't much furniture to speak of--simply a bed, a makeshift desk, and a chair. Shadows played on the floor and a few scant lanterns; now dim, were strung along the walls. Not that it mattered; he could have seen his surroundings just as well as if there was far less light.

As it was, he was still a bit shocked at how well the Morlocks had adapted to their life beneath the city streets. He'd already been introduced to Sparks (twice, in fact), the young mutant who provided the entire community with its own source of clean and relatively reliable energy. Although he had not in fact been expecting a bunch of frightened mutants wearing rags and "eating dead rats"--as Callisto had put it--neither had he been expecting this developed, more or less stable society.

Nor did he ever anticipate he would be in charge of it.

Which led him to his current environment. While Sunder had originally showed Kurt rooms in the communal barracks, as the new leader of the Morlocks, Kurt was entitled to a few choice luxuries--such as his own quarters. While at first he had been inclined to reject the offer, he quickly reasoned that if he was indeed to be an effective leader, he would no doubt need the occasional isolated moment to regroup and clear his head. Reluctantly, he agreed and Callisto had soon led him here.

Sighing deeply, he ran a three-fingered hand through his hair, now somewhat matted with sweat and heaven only knew what else. He hadn't expected Callisto's first strike or the two scuffles that followed. And yet, as the dust settled--and Sunder, the hulking mutant lay upon the ground--it appeared that the Morlocks had indeed seen the error of their ways, realizing that their fanatical preparation for war was as likely to land each of them in a casket as it was to protect them.

It was this realization, and Callisto's vote of confidence, that propelled Kurt with alarming speed to his new position leading the Morlocks. Despite his initial reservations, a simple look around the room had told him how desperately they all needed rational and, above all, less violent leadership. While he wasn't sure he fully embodied either of these qualities, he could not abandon them after they'd so readily accepted him into their fold. Already he felt at home, whereas he'd never quite felt at ease among the X-Men. It seemed every one of Xavier's team was both beautiful and brilliant. He got the impression they viewed him as little more than a mascot, perhaps even a symbol of what their team *should* be, but, something told him, wasn't quite yet.

As though summoned by his reflections on his past with the mutant super-team, Kurt noticed a scrap of glass hastily tacked to the wall with a few nails. He was surprised--he hadn't pegged Sunder for the sort who cared much about his appearance, so why the need for a mirror? Curiosity growing, he peered into the glass, confirming the suspicion that he was indeed quite a mess. He'd have to ask Callisto where he might be able to wash up.

"Wunderbar," he muttered to himself. "I'm supposed to be leading these people--and I don't even know where the bathroom is!"

Feeling that he should spend the remaining hours of light (for surely Sparks was getting ready to sleep soon) acquainting himself with the Morlock tunnels, he left his room and began exploring. For all the fighting and chaos that had occurred just hours ago, the place was almost silent, only a few murmured voices mingled with the filtered sounds of the surface world could be heard. Kurt continued his explorations when, at last, the lights did go out--Sparks having finally nodded off for the night. "That would explain the quiet," he thought to himself, "Everyone was already preparing for lights out."

Still, with night vision as good as his, there was no reason for Kurt to head to his quarters just yet. He continued his wanderings, now following the rhythmic clatter of the subway, wondering just how far the Morlock domain stretched. After a time, he came to a stop and leaned against the rough stone wall of the tunnel. From here he could actually hear something other than rushing water or the hum of machinery. In this spot, if he remained still and closed his eyes he could hear-

"Music." Kurt spoke just above a whisper. Nor was this the cacophony of the city, a rogue stereo, or even the floating harmonies from a theatre. No, here Kurt could hear the sounds of a pipe organ, perhaps not expertly played, but sounding out familiar melodies--hymns he hadn't heard in years but that still brought his spirit a measure of comfort. His eyes closed, he placed his hands gently on the wall to pick up the subtle vibrations of the sound--he exhaled softly as something unnamed rose inside him. It was perhaps this intoxication, this peace, which nearly caused him to remain ignorant of the other presence in the tunnel.

"Nightcrawler," came an unseen voice, "living up to your name, I see."

Kurt turned to face the sound and could just make out a familiar form in the shadows. "Callisto," he called out, "Not here to enforce curfew, I hope."

"Hardly," she replied, stepping closer to him. "Seeing as you're in charge and all- you make your own bedtime." She grinned. "You call the shots down here."

"Ah, yes. There is that," he said, looking down the tunnel back towards the Morlock dwellings. "I still find it hard to believe," he added, "Mere days ago, the idea of a hidden mutant colony beneath the city would have seemed as farfetched as running into a leprechaun at the 7-11."

"You mean Patrick?" queried Callisto. "Well, yeah--but he only works night shifts on the weekends. Plus he gets to bring back all the leftover hotdogs and sandwiches that aren't too far past the sell-by date."

Kurt stared at her in slight disbelief, but didn't trust himself to say anything without making himself seem even more foolish. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously, which reminded him of something.

"Oh, yes- that's right," he stammered, "I was wondering, the bathroom? I haven't really had a chance to wash up since, well, since the fight with Sunder." He looked at the ground, a bit ashamed. Despite the obvious need for new leadership among the Morlocks, he still felt guilty for the way it had some into his hands. Besides that, the last clear memories he had were those of his explosive breakdown among the X-men.

Kurt supposed he'd known deep down that Alison had felt only friendly affection for him, and her feelings would never develop into the sort of love he'd sought so depserately. He'd paid a heavy price for his rash behavior and he was feeling, now more than ever, the severance of the relationships he'd had at Xavier's institute. Still, it seemed the only solution was to dedicate himself to the leadership of this new family.

So lost in thought was Kurt, he hardly noticed Callisto leading him to the washroom. She had to pluck at his sleeve to keep him from walking past. "Oh, I... sorry," was all he could manage, feeling his cheeks growing warm as he slipped through the door.

Inside, he made use of the sink and rudimentary plumbing system the Morlocks had had in place for nearly a year now. He found himself continually surprised at their near self-sufficiency. Yet, until recently, they'd all been dead set on Sunder's visions of war with surface dwellers, humans and mutants alike. As he scrubbed the grime from his hair and face, he wondered whether they'd expected to win that war or even survive it. So many of the Morlocks were young and inexperienced. Several fostered mutations that were purely physical or had no real offensive capabilities. They weren't soldiers. They were only down here because those on the surface saw them as, "Monsters," Kurt said aloud.

Like a trigger, the word set off memories he'd forced himself not to deal with until now. Of course, as a child--and even as a teenager--he'd put up with more “casual” instances of anti-mutant prejudice; looks of terror when he ventured outside the circus, old women spitting in his direction, and young children throwing rubbish at him as they called him names. He'd always steeled himself against their harsh words, telling himself he wasn't really a monster and if only these strangers *really* knew him, they'd never say such things.

Of course, that mantra faltered as he lay in the infirmary bed and Rogue came to see him-- his last waking moments before Xavier's psychic coma set in. She'd been inside his head, surprising to both of them as he wasn't expecting the attack and Rogue herself believed she'd lost her powers. However all at once she could see him, in some small way she *was* him and understood him better than even the most talented telepath. Yet while one might hope for some sliver of sympathy or pardon from someone who momentarily saw as he did, Kurt received only condemnation. "You really are a monster," she'd practically spat before leaving him there nearly comatose and unable to respond.

To be continued... :whocares

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

More. Hurry. Waiting, tissue at the ready.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

(Here's the conclusion! I was unsure if I'd get to submit this in time- as it is I'm cutting it close and I'm off to the hospital to spend the night there with my dad. Anyways- I hope you guys find this a fitting end to my story!)

Kurt made his was uneasily out of the washroom- only to find Callisto still waiting for him. Leaning casually against the far wall, her arms crossed in front of her, she seemed to be scrutinizing the blue furred mutant. Kurt couldn't help but wonder if she was rethinking her choice.

"I know what you're thinking," he started before she could speak. "What kind of nutjob whacko did I put in charge of all these innocent lives?" The truth is-"

"The truth is- Mister Wagner," she interrupted, "there's not a soul down here that isn't dealing with personal demons. I don't imagine you're any different. After all, we're all down here because we couldn't make it up there." Callisto pointed a lazy finger skyward. "I mean, let's face it- topsiders, all of them, humans and mutants aren't ready for us. The humans are afraid of us, and mutants like Xavier's pets are afraid to be associated with us. We remind them of what they can not hide. That somewhere underneath those fancy costumes and codenames- we're all outcasts. Monsters."

"That's not true," Kurt replied darkly. "Mutant or not- every living creature is unique. It is the choices we make, how we choose to use out abilities that defines what- who we are." Even as he said the words, Kurt wondered if he really believed them.

"I may have made some bad choices in the past" he thought, "but I can change that. This is the place for me to start again."

"Heh," Callisto grinned slightly as she approached Kurt in the near-darkness. "An idealist," she said softly, "perhaps that's just what we need."

Slowly, but with no sign of hesitation, she raised a hand to side of his face allowing her fingertips to graze the velvety fur of his cheek. "What is it about you Kurt?" she asked. "You've been here less than a day, but I feel confident things are about to change for the better."

Kurt hardly had time to question her before he became acutely aware of how close she was to him- how she'd begun gently touching his face- and he'd hardly felt her approach. Instinctively he pulled away.

"W-What are you doing?" he asked, doing his best not to sound like a frightened school boy.

"Relax," came the response- "This isn't some 'take me as your queen' jungle come on," she laughed slightly. "That's not how we do things here."

"I think I have a lot to learn about the way things are done," he said softly.

"Perhaps," she admitted, "but tell me what you've learned so far."

He looked thoughtful for a minute- recalling all he'd seen in his scant hours with the Morlocks. At last he began to recite his findings, surprised at the ease with which he could relate them.

"The Morlocks are almost surprisingly self-sufficient, providing most of their own food from sustained resources entirely housed within your domain. What little is taken from the surface is purely for luxury's sake."

"That's true," Callisto nodded. "There are few substitutes for things like crayons or freshly baked cookies." She looked at him somewhat embarrassed. "For the children, I mean."

"Of course." He nodded in return. "Many of the adults, even those whose mutant abilities do not predispose them to offensive capabilities have well-honed fighting skills, with some dabbling in the martial arts. For the most part, however- they are encouraged to use their abilities for the good of the community. There is a strong sense of... family," he added, "At first I attributed it to the unification of misfits- people being brought together because they felt they had nowhere else to go- but now I think it's something else."

"What's that?" She asked, intrigued by his summation.

"Potential," he said simply. "Believe it or not- you have a good thing going here. I've never seen anything like it. 'Topsiders' could learn a lot from the way you handle yourselves. Everyone is accountable for their actions- responsible in their own way for contributing to the wellbeing of others. It's... almost a utopia."

"Except I doubt anywhere in the definition of the word 'paradise' does it mention the smell of the city sewers and a tendency for the power to go out when your living generator sneezes." Callisto retorted, feeling somewhat embarrassed by Kurt's exaltations of her adopted family.

"Maybe not," he admitted, "but I stand by my assessment."

"Hmm," she gave him an appraising look once more. "Yes, I do believe you right," she conceded and approached him once more.

"About what?" he asked.

Slowly and somewhat curiously she lifted her head to press her lips against his. Pulling away just slightly she whispered, "There's definitely potential."

[Edited on 23-3-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

This is really well done. You've got some great insights into the Morlocks and Kurt's character here. I especially liked the points you made about Xavier's X-Men and Kurt's "mascot" role. Fantastic story! Thanks so much for entering it in the contest. Best of luck in the poll! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

ThankYouThankYouThankYou - (a) for finishing the story, (b) for rescuing poor Elf from an untenable storyline, and (c) for providing good insight into the whole situation. YOU ROCK!

Prayers comin' for you and your dad.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. Things on the home front seem more or less under control, thankfully- so that's good. Lucky for me I get an extra day off from work tomorrow to relax a little. Hurrah!
Image Image
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

I love it! The story I wrote is really bland compared to yours. Best of luck in the contest. :)