Proof (An Ultimate Storyline)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Proof (An Ultimate Storyline)

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Proof Part I by Tyler Duggan (and Dan Nuebler)

Fury caught the coin in the air as Spider-man tossed it to him.

“Nice catch” Spider-man snickered “for a half-blind man.”

“Clever idea wasn’t it?” Fury asked subtly as he put the coin in his front pocket. “I bet you didn’t expect your lunch change to speak to you.”

“Certainly not during my History Exam, no.” Spider-man noted. Fury grinned, as Spider-Man smiled genuinely, beneath his mask of course.
The man could barely be seen in the shadows, just the silhouette of his figure. Spider-man couldn’t make out his facial features if he tried. General Nick Fury probably aimed for this kind of mystique whilst in secret meeting any ways. “Are you ready to hear my offer?”

“Make it once, and if I don’t like it, you can’t force me.” Spider-man stood up straight and crossed his arms, showing how firm he was on his statement.

“Deal.” Fury nodded. “You get to join the elites. But there’s something you need to do first.”

“Of course.” Spider-man said. “If you even THINK of asking me to drop in on the X-mansion and asking them to concede to your oh, so-positive outlook on life, you can call me out on-“

“Shut up.” Fury snapped “This is important. We got a terrorist in the city.” He cleared his throat. “Easily disposable by any of my Ultimates.”

“So do it.” Spider-man pointed out.

“No, we’d rather see you do it. You’ve taken out everyone from major masked villains to simple purse-snatchers. See if you can grab someone who’s a threat to our nation on a whole and not just to you or your city.”

“Why do this?” Spider-man asked. His request was confusing, almost too demanding.

“Because this guy is a one-man show, as effective as Al-Queda but with the man power of one. Because he can do more damage to a square block in fourteen seconds than Green Goblin could in two minutes.” Fury took a new coin out of his pocket and flipped it in the air. It sung as it hit the moonlight and landed in Spider-man’s palm.

“and because we’re too busy being INTERGALACTIC superheroes right now. We need someone on the home front.” Spider-man put the coin in his pocket.

“Why not Wolverine, why not Daredevil, why not Moon Knight?” Spider-man asked.

“Too unpredictable, too dark, and too easily killed.” Fury said quickly.

“So then…again,” Spider-man pointed his finger at Fury, “why me?”

“Because to join the big leagues you have to handle big-league hits.” Fury grinned very widely. “And trust me, if you hit this one out of the wrong-end of the ball park, it can get very ugly for you.”

“Sounds like you’re protecting your Ultimates…” Spider-man said with a harsh tone.

“Sounds like it.” Fury nodded his head. “The coin has two heads. When we want you, we’ll get you, don’t spend it, okay?”

“Wait!” Spider-man shouted “I didn’t say yes yet.”

“Sure you did.” Nick Fury chuckled “Otherwise you would’ve swung out on me the second I mentioned terrorist. You want this, and you know it.” He grinned again and threw a ball at Spider-man. It exploded emitting a burst of gray smoke and mist instantly. Fury’s voice could be heard all around Spider-man.

“Now prove it.”

“Sounds….dangerous….” Mary-Jane Watson said to Peter Parker. They were sitting on the bleachers of their high school. The bell was about to ring for the start of school, and per norm, they sat together and talked about things relating to Peter being Spider-Man.
“That’s an understatement. That’s like saying Kingpin isn’t particularly fond of me.” Mary-Jane rolled her eyes.

“Pete, you know what I mean.” She bit her lip. “I know the stuff you do as Spider-Man is usually dangerous, but if this is so bad that even Fury says it could ruin you, well…that’s pretty bad.”
“I know.” He sighed. “So what do you think I should do?”

“Personally?” Mary-Jane said “I’d tell him to go put his coin you-know-where. You don’t need him, and you certainly don’t need the Ultimates.” Peter hung his head as the bell rang.

“I guess…”

Peter’s head was still hung as he penciled in his answers to the math exam. Trigonometry was complicated, but not for Peter Parker.

Paying attention when you know secretly somewhere a world-renowned terrorist is plotting against the city and you’re all that stands against him, now that Peter found to be complicated. He gave up and wrote down three for the last four questions. He handed the paper in and then asked the teacher if he could take a pee. She said yes. Just as Peter shut the door behind him his coin suddenly vibrated. It scared the hell out of him and forced him to leap up into the air, clinging to the ceiling. He quickly dropped and looked around to make sure no one saw him. Thankfully the hall was empty. He took the shaking coin out of his pocket and held it out into his palm.

“uh…” Fury had never explained how to activate it. “Abra-cadabra?”

“Nice try.” Fury’s voice said from the coin. “Now go to the roof, and be quick about it.”

The wind whistled as it blew past Peter. He had his hood up and his backpack slung over one shoulder. Inside it was his costume. He didn’t know what to expect but he was sure it was a Bond-esque entrance by Fury. Instead, he got Iron-Man. The metallic super hero was waiting for him on the roof. Peter extended his hand for a shake.

“You don’t wanna do that, I might crush it.” Iron Man said nicely. Peter withdrew his hand and nodded.

“The guy you’re after is called Tombstone. His real name is Lonnie Lincoln, and he’s an albino so he won’t be too hard to miss.” Iron man handed a disc to Peter. “This is all his background info. Might I suggest you put it on a personal laptop instead of a PC at school?”

“And what am I supposed to do?” Peter asked.

“Just read up on him. Online, from what we’re giving you on the disc, the newspapers, whatever. He’s renowned so his information is out there.”
“I asked Fury-“

“General Fury.” Iron Man interrupted.

“Right, General Fury, why I was doing this. He didn’t give me the straightest of answers.”

“It’s ‘cause we think you can handle this. You did a real good job of handling that Clone Stuff, and lord knows you’ve been through enough personal stuff. We want you to do something…out of the box.”

“What if I fail?” Peter asked quietly. “What happens if I decide you guys aren’t that important, and I don’t do this?”

“Then.” Iron man said very seriously behind his mechanical voice inhibiter. “Then I crush you beneath my titanium boot like a bug.”

“I take it you don’t like me much?” Peter asked.

“Go to class. When you’re done, start up on your mission. If you do this right, I’ll like you a little more.”

Mary-Jane stood shocked. “Why would you accept?” she cried out.

Peter dropped his bag onto the floor and sat down at his computer desk in his room in the basement.

“Because I had no choice. Would you say no to Iron Man?” Peter said sarcastically.

“No, but I don’t have super-powers!” Mary-Jane exclaimed.

“You know, this isn’t helping me.” Peter said without turning around. He popped the disc into his drive and watched information load. Within seconds three, then four windows had opened up with a picture of well-built Albino man and about 250 pages worth of notes, rap sheets, and of course articles. “Great.” Peter sighed.

“Is that the terrorist from the Congo, Tombstone?” Mary-Jane asked quietly. Peter swung around shocked.

“How’d you know him?”

“I watch, THE NEWS Pete. You should try it, it’s great. All sorts of info-“

“What else do you know about him?” Peter asked quickly.

“Well, he’s from the Congo and he’s not allowed to go back. Banished or something, I think he started one of the most successful revolutions against incoming arms dealers. He basically smote the area with a five-person tactical squad.”

“He’s got guerilla warfare training then, great.”

“No no,” Mary-Jane hushed. “He’s far more than just some soldier. I remember the report. He is responsible for the death of 15 diplomats to Africa. He’s supposedly the reason Kingpin won’t touch any African gun imports.”

“Because of him?” Peter was shaken.

“Because of him.” She looked at the Daily Bugle on the coffee table beside her.
“Why don’t you ask Jameson, I bet he knows something of him.”

“Right, like Jameson would talk to me about terrorists. Besides I got all my information here, I just need to study it.”

“Then, when you’re done, try Ben Urich, he’d know a lot. He was the one who wrote the report.” Mary-Jane smiled. “If you’re really serious about this Pete you need
to know what you’re getting into.” Peter sighed.

“I can’t ask Urich these kinds of questions, it’ll raise suspicions.”

“Then go as Spider-Man.” Mary-Jane said quietly.

Proof: Part II

Spider-Man swung gracefully amongst the cityscape towards the Daily Bugle Tower. He landed just as gracefully against the glass of the building. Being sure to climb up with stealth and speed, he came to the office window of Ben Urich, Daily Bugle reporter and one of Peter Parker’s close allies in the journalism world. He rapped on the glass and waved as Ben turned around in his chair. Urich cave out a cry and fell backwards in his chair. He stood up, brushing himself off, and slowly rotated the jack that opened the window. Spider-Man crawled in.

“Afternoon gov’na.” Spider-Man jibed.

“Hello Spider-Man” Urich said breathlessly. “What can I do for you?”

“Well, not to put you into too much trouble with your maniacal boss” Urich chuckled. “but I was given some info from the Ultimates about a guy called

‘Tombstone’, I guess he’s got some kind of reason to be in the city. I need any info you might have on him.”

“Tombstone? Here? That’s not good.” Urich said in a disgruntled tone. “I take it you came to me because you know about my article, the on Lonnie?”

“Yeah, a little bird told me.” Spider-Man said.

“Well, I did a brief stint inside the Republic of the Congo, and let me tell you, it was not easy. You know about how hard I tried to bring down Kingpin. Well if someone like this Lonnie, this Tombstone, ran things over here the way he does in Africa, I would’ve been shot and buried before I could even put thought to paper about him. This guy keeps complete control over what is said about him.”

“Meaning most of what I read about a lot of people went through a lot of trouble to get.” Spider-Man guessed.

“Exactly,” Urich sighed as he sat down “and you know a friend of mine, a reporter friend whom I met in Kenya named Barry Muldoon, was killed for the things he told me about this Tombstone.”

“I’m sorry.” Spider-Man said gently. “I’ve lost friends too for stupid reasons, from stupid ignorant evil people. It’s not easy.”

“No, and knowing that you, were the cause doesn’t make it any easier.”

“You know, just because Muldoon told you doesn’t mean that’s why he died.” Spider-Man suggested. “After all, if he is Congo’s Kinpin, it’s not who he said it to, but rather that he just said it.”

“I think you need to know what he told me, the part I didn’t publish at least.” Urich said in an unsettling tone.

“I’m all ears…”

“He said he was going to come to New York someday, make an international name with himself.” Urich looked at Spider-Man with a very sad expression. “He also contacted me through mail right before I left Africa for home. Told me if he ever came to New York City, his first and only priority as far as he was concerned, was to see me die for the things I wrote there and he things I had been told.”

“So you’re figuring if he’s here, it’s for more reasons than just international claim?” Spider-Man asked.

“I’m afraid so. Please if you can get Fury to help me in any way, I-“

“Say no more Mr. Urich, I’m going to pass a note along to the police just as soon as I leave. If I were you, I’d punch my card in right now, back-up all your files, and tell Mr. Jameson you need to take a very extended leave. I’ll have the Ultimates contact you when it’s safe to be in New York again.”

“He might be waiting for me when I get home, I’ll just take a taxi from here to my sister’s house in Buffalo. Thank you, Spider-Man” Urich said, smiling widely, nearly teary eyed.

“Hey, just being your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, y’know?” He did a double-back flip out the window and saluted Urich as he swung up and away. Urich quickly ran to his computer and began to save everything.

So, Spider-Man thought out loud as he swung his way to Ben Urich’s apartment in Queens, this guy kills people on safaris and diplomats and journalists. He’s got a complete cap on everything secret about him except what S.H.I.E.L.D. knows and all they got is about 250 pages on what they don’t know. Sad, about Urich’s friend, really. It’s never fair when you lose someone for something so ridiculous.

Spider-Man dropped into Urich’s apartment from the glass ceiling window, which he had to jimmy open. He took a quick glance around and waited for his spider-sense to go off. It didn’t. Strange, Spider-Man thought. I was sure he’d end up here. If he was serious about what he said at least. Maybe he’s forgotten though, this was four years ago.

Spider-Man started to climb up the walls back to the roof when he heard a click and suddenly his spider-sense went off just as the lights came on. He flipped silently against the walls like a pinball until he was up next to the ceiling window. He gripped the ceiling with his spider-abilities and pressed his back until he was thinned out as possible, being sure to edge closer to the wall near the shadows.

There were footsteps and voices nearing the room. Spider-Man held his breath. Man, he thought to himself, I really need to change color of my costume, this is way obvious.

“I told you he’d get word ahead of time Mr. Tombstone.” One voice said once it came into range.

“Shaddup.” A gruff voice with a thick South Afrian accent said. “I don’t care about what you thought.” He kicked the door to the room Spider-Man was in open. Suddenly Spider-Man’s spider sense was going haywire. This guy was seriously bad news apparently. He walked in, the 6’7” albino African with a hand gun that looked more like a hand-held cannon than a pistol.

“Urich!” Tombstone yelled aloud. “Where the hell are you!?” Spider-Man took a breath and dropped down on Tombstone’s hand, knocking the glock out of his grip and using his arm as a board to flip off of, landing, poised and ready to fight.

“Actually Mr. Urich had to go out of town, he wanted me to take his messages for him tough.” Spider-Man used his web shooters to grab the gun at Tombstone’s feet and flung it out of the window. Tombstone, though surprised, growled and gritted his teeth.

He pulled a large Bowe Knife from his belt and charged at Spider-Man. Spider-Man leapt into the air and somersaulted over the attack completely taking Tombstone by surprise. Tombstone recovered quickly from the shock though and spun around just in time to grab Spider-Man’s leg before he could land and swung him around in a circle, letting go finally and throwing him into the wall. Spider-Man coughed and hacked as he stumbled back up but Tombstone was already on him, thrusting his knee into his ribcage and sending him sprawling back into the wall.

“Who the hell are you?!” Tombstone growled.

“’Dat’s Spider-Man boss,” the scrawny man said.

“Spider-Man!?” Tombstone said fiendishly. “Spider-Man, eh? I had hoped of running into you, but didn’t think I’d make enough of a mess to attract your attention. Seems I was wrong…” Spider-Man coughed up blood.

“At least my name isn’t Lonnie.” He spat. Tombstone picked him up by the cuff of his neck and threw him into the wall on the opposite side of the room.

“Boss!” The scrawny man said in a terrified voice. “The other people are gonna hear!”

“Then let’s finish this guy so we can get Urich.” Tombstone spat.

“Leave Urich alone!” Spider-Man yelled as he snapped forward. He shot webs straight into the opposite wall and used them to pull himself up from the floor. Pushing off with his feet, he pulled on the webbing using it like a bungee cord to snap forward. Spider-Man twisted his body around and nailed Tombstone right in the chin with his heels. Tombstone stumbled backwards and finally fell to the floor. He wiped blood from his face and sat straight up. He pulled another knife from his boot and just as Spider-Man turned around to face him, Tombstone threw the knife into Spider-Man’s shoulder.

Spider-Man screamed in pain and fell backwards. This gave Tombstone time to stand up and charge him. Spider-Man, thinking quickly, heaved one of Urich’s lounge chairs out the window, shattering the window. He shot a web-string out the newly made hole and fled the apartment before Tombstone could get him. He landed on the closest building and rolled on the roof, clutching his arm which was now soaked in blood. He ripped the knife from his arm and threw it against the roof, roaring in pain and anger. He stood back up and stared at his bloody gloved palm.

“Okay Spider-Man…time to get smart about this.” He shot web with his good arm across the street, and hovered over the city slowly until he made it home.

Proof: Part III

The wind was whistling by Spider-Man’s ears and he took in a deep breath of the city air as he zipped over Times Square. It was about lunch time on a Saturday and the city was buzzing with noise. If there was noise, then there was usually crime. Today though, Spider-Man was looking for a specific criminal. He had fouled up big time with Tombstone at Urich’s place, but now he was going to make it better. They probably wanted Spider-Man now more than Urich, meaning that Spider-Man was a target. Spider-Man started considering how he can use that to his advantage when suddenly-

“There!” He heard from below. Spider-Man looked down to see three men in large trench coats on the roof of a building. Simultaneously they all reached into their coats and pulled out automatic weapons, firing them at Spider-Man as he was in the air.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS