Ultimate X-Mas (Challenge Fic for Holiday '07)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay so I know sometimes the way I write is considered "borg-text." so if you can't bear through the copied and pasted format, I am leaving it as a download as well. This is about
Ultimate :spidey and :ultimatenc

Originally this was just a fic, but there's been no submitted material so I say, what the heck. I'll give this a whirl. I'm probably not even writing in the context you guys wanted so excuse it if this doesn't qualify, but do please leave comments none the less.

enjoy.
Warning: I do NOT own the X-men or anything in Marvel Universe, but I do own this story so I'd appreciate that if you re-post it you ask me and re-post this message with it. Marvel, don't sue, I love you.

Nightcrawler & Spider-Man
In

Ultimate X-Mas

It was Christmas Eve and Kurt was on the surface. This was the time of year when people got together with their families and celebrated peace, joy, and togetherness, at least it was supposed to be. For Kurt this was usually the worst time of year. He had always been alone but never so alone as he was now. He had taken leadership and charge over the disfigured mutants known as the Morlocks, mutants who could never pass in regular human society, and so they stayed in New York’s underground and made a life for themselves, rarely seeing day light. They were paranoid, protective, and most importantly, they were scared. Kurt had been taken in by them, accepted by them for his likeness as well. Kurt Wagner, otherwise known as Nightcrawler, was a blue/gray furry demon-looking mutant who could teleport great distances leaving behind yellow smoke and the thick scent of brimstone. Nightcrawler was, needless to say, not accepted by most of society. Though he had found a temporary home with the X-men, he never felt like he belonged, and he had hurt them in a rage of madness that overtook him some months ago, resulting in his escape to the underworld of the Morlocks.
But now it was Christmas and Nightcrawler kept his tail wrapped around his leg and he wore a large trench coat, some cloves with five fingers (even though his three fingers barely fit into their respective places) and he kept a purple scarf and dark baseball hat on his head. To cover his pointed ears he wore some ear muffs that a young Morlock had given him. The young man’s name was Artie and he resembled the aliens from the film “Signs” (or atleast Kurt would have said as much had he ever seen the film,) the only difference was his skin was a pinkish shade of purple. Artie, Kurt had noticed, was one of the kindest souls he had ever met. It’s because of Artie that Kurt was on the surface, for the first time in weeks, to bring Christmas to Artie and the rest of the Morlocks. Kurt knew the purpose of the Holidays, and remembered when he was young celebrating it with his adoptive family in Germany, but now he was with a whole town worth of mutants who had rarely, if not ever, experienced the joys and togetherness of this holiday. Above all else, Nightcrawler decided he needed a Christmas tree more than anything and the only place he knew to get one, was Central Park.

“You know, this would be a lot quicker if you would just stop.” Spider-Man said.
“Sh-sh-shut up!” the man who grasped the lady’s purse said. It was eight o’clock at night on Christmas Eve, and with “Santa” on the way, this was more than the last place Spider-Man wanted to be right now, this was the worst place for him to be right now. It was freezing out here and all he had was some some skin tight costume that he had designed with Mary-Jane almost a year ago. What was with these people, he thought to himself. It’s friggin’ Christmas Eve man! Damn! Go home and be happy! But he knew he couldn’t say this. He might offend the man if he was actually Jewish, or Hindu, or whatever else. People. Spider-Man had thought. They just don’t stop.
“Look, sir.” Spider-Man said gently as he dropped down from the tree. “It’s incredibly cold right now, and I really don’t want to do this. I have a tree at home to decorate, a girl to kiss under a mistletoe, and I just so happen to know for a fact hat I’ve been pretty good this year.” He grinned at his own comment but continued without laughing. “Now there’s still a chance for you to get something nice instead of coal.” Spider-Man pointed to the purse. “Maybe you want a purse?”
“Dude! You have no idea what it’s like man!” the crazed mugger yelled.
“You’re right.” Spider-Man said. “That’s why I have to put you over my shoulder like a sack and leave you in the chimney of the local police station.” Within seconds the man was completely bound up with webbing, with the exception of his head. Conveniently, his mouth was webbed shut and Spider-Man returned the purse and threw the man over his shoulder as he promised, and swung over to the local station. He whistled “Sleigh Ride” the whole way. On his way home he decided to cut through Central Park, for one last scout. Aunt May would understand, he convinced himself. He was swinging through the trees, being sure to avoid the iced branches, when he noticed a sawing sound. There was no “spider-sense” to alert him of danger, but he didn’t like what he was hearing. He stopped where he was and dropped down to see, only a few feet away, a young man crouched down sawing down a tiny pine tree. He was doing a pretty crappy job, from what Spider-man could see, but it did seem like he was trying to rush. It was then that Spider-Man noticed the man’s breath in the cold air. Unlike Spider-Man’s which misted in the crisp Central Park air, this mans resembled yellow smoke.
“What in Sam Hill?” Spider-Man whispered to himself. The man heard him, though Spider-Man was unsure how, and suddenly all of Spider-Man’s senses went ballistic. Suddenly the man was gone in a puff of yellow smoke and in the same instant the man was suddenly behind him. The man put him in a head lock but Spider-Man reacted quickly and elbowed him in the stomach. “What the-!” The man let go and Spider-Man spun around and gasped at the sight. The man’s scarf was no longer wrapped around his mouth and his hat was on the ground near the tree, and Spider-Man could see very clearly the man was either Satan himself, or a mutant. Regardless, Spider-Man was horrified.
“Whoa! Which one are you?” Spider-Man asked. “Past, Present, or Future?”
“What do you want with me!” Nightcrawler growled.
“From the sound of your voice, I’m gonna say I don’t want trouble.”
“Then you better let me take that tree and be on my way.” he rumbled in reply.
“Why?” Spider-Man asked. “I mean I know they’re overprice, but do you have to break the law to get it? Hell, I’ll give you a fake one we got in our attic!”
“NEIN!” Nightcrawler yelled furiously. “I need” he pointed to the tree that was half sawed “that one. It’s perfect.”
Spider-Man could not have been any less impressed by the tree. Clearly this guy was mistaken if he thought this was the most perfect tree in Central Park.
“Dude, what’re you Charlie Brown? You put one ornament on that thing and it’s gonna tip over. Look, I’ll bring you back the one from my place just stay here and-“
“Nein!” Nightcrawler said furiously. “Why can’t you people just leave us alone! We never did anything to you! You constantly quash us, even on this, Christmas Eve.”
“Whoa, whoa, whoa” Spider-Man interrupted. “I dated a mutant man, she’s even my friend still! Hell I even helped Crazy-Claws and even the whole damn team on”- Spider-Man froze. It couldn’t be.
“Nightcrawler?” he asked.
“Yes.” He spat. “Now that you recognize me, can I go?”
“Well…yeah I mean, but…why aren’t you in the mansion. Kitty said you guys had some kind of yankee swap or something.” Nightcrawler looked down at his mutated feet.
“I’m not there anymore.” He said quietly.
“Really?” Spider-Man questioned. “Well…why the tree then? Where are you now?”
“I’m with the Morlocks. I’m their leader.” Nightcrawler said. “More of a guide though.”
“Wait, Mor-what? Leader? Dude you’re like…just about my age I think. What the hell happened to you, why can’t you be with the X-men?”
“it’s complicated. I don’t belong there anymore, and now I’m with people like me, who aren’t accepted. I wanted to give them a Christmas, the best one I could give, and I was hoping to start with that tree.”
“Why that tree? It’s terrible.” He said.
“Exactly.” Nightcrawler grinned. His fangs showed brightly in the moon and Spider-Man, even though he knew he shouldn’t have been, was just a tad freaked out.
“A crappy tree? Why a Crap Tree?”
“Because of what it means. It’s an ugly tree, just like me and just like the others. But we’re still important, to each other if nothing else. That tree represents something important, and I want to bring it down there and give it to them.”
“Really.” Spider-Man grinned under his mask. “That’s so metaphorical I honestly think it just gave me an appreciation for modern art.” Spider-Man looked at the tree. “Usually a felony results in a whooping from me.” Nightcrawler growled and clenched his fists. “BUT” Spider-Man quickly added “I think this night we can let it go.” He put his hand out to shake Nightcrawlers. “Want some help with it?”
“Honestly, no.” Nightcrawler said taking his hand. “They’ll tear you apart.”
“For not being a mutant like them? Man, are they gonna get coal in their stockings.”
“Look, I don’t need this, just leave me alone please.” Nightcrawler insisted angrily.
“Okay, okay. Let me atleast help you bring the dumb thing to the nearest…uh, sewer.”
“Fine.” Nightcrawler said.
Spider-Man helped Nightcrawler pull the tree with a rope made of webbing and the two lugged the not-so-big tree with dinky limbs and little trunk over to the nearest New York Subway entrance.
“So is this where we part?” Spider-Man asked.
“I believe so.” Nightcrawler said. “Unless you have an idea for gifts.”
“Hmm,” Spidey wondered. “I think,…I’m pretty sure I know someone who might be able to help. I know you can keep up, so follow me.” Spider-Man let Nightcrawler teleport back into the underground city with the tree. Then Nightcrawler followed Spider-man to a Salvation Army store, and then into the back of the store.
“You’re going to steal from the Salvation Army?” Nightcrawler said. “And you were worried about a tree?”
“Don’t be silly.” Spider-Man said “Someone owes me a favor.” Spider-Man knocked on the door and a deep voice from the other side responded.
“Hold on, I’m coming.” The voice said. There were some foot steps and then the voice responded again. “Who’re you? Its Christmas Eve!”
“It’s your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.” Spidey called into the door. “With company. We were hoping for a Christmas miracle.” The door opened and a tall black man with dark sunglasses held it open. He smiled widely and put his hand out for Spider-Mans to shake.
“You mean you’re looking for a favor to be returned. You know I probably could’ve taken out that Shocker fella with my cane if I wanted to.”
“He was stealing from a Salvation Army.” Spider-Man said. “Even if what he wanted was accidentally put there by a mob boss’s daughter, he shouldn’t have been in here with those gauntlet things.”
“What are you two talking about?” Nightcrawler asked impatiently.
“Right, right the company. Who do we have here?” The man asked.
“This, Burt, is Kurt. He’s in charge of”-
“An orphanage.” Nightcrawler finished.
“Right. Sister Jean’s something or other Orphanarium.” Spider-Man tried.
“Uh-Huh.” Burt chuckled, “You think I don’t know every orphanage from here to Jersey? Trust me, if you brought him, he must be in need. There are some spares and unused in that corner. I’m almost done here and the truck will be in the back within the hour for the actual orphanages, so you should hurry.”
“We will.” Spider-Man and Nightcrawler said simultaneously. In under thirty minutes they had a sack made of web filled with toys for the Morlock Children.
“This is it right, just gifts?” Spider-Man asked as they left.
“Yeah, this is it.” Nightcrawler said. “I’d like to thank you.”
“Don’t” Spider-Man said kindly. “It was nothing, it’s Christmas Eve.”
“I really can’t thank you enough”. Kurt thought then reached into his pocket and took something out of it. Handed it to Spider-Man. “This is a ring, and it’s got a word inscribed into it.”
“What’s the word?” Mockingbird he finished in his head.
“It the only word that would ever get you out of trouble from any of my people, incase you ever get mixed up with them. Make sure to show it to them.”
“Cool.” Spider-Man looked at the word and was instantly surprised at what it was. Friends, is what the ring said.
“Thanks man.”
“Merry Christmas Spider-Man.”
“Merry Christmas Nightcrawler.”

-END-

[Edited on 18/12/07 by Ult_Sm86]

[Edited on 19/12/07 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Very sweet! It's always fun to see Nightcrawler and Spider-Man team up. This story really shows the holiday spirit. I'm really sorry, though, but it doesn't meet the requirements for the Holiday Challenge. But it's a great stand-alone story! All it needs is some spaces between the paragraphs and the dialogue to make it more readable. Your ending is particularly good! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei