A Beautiful Christmas Morn (Nov-Dec challenge entry)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Ok, I gave it a shot! Disclaimer: I haven't read anything with Kurt in it in a while, let alone written anything, so the characterization may be off. As for the Snow Queen, well, I'm going off what I know of her from Fables. But here is my entry!

~&~

December 25th. Kurt shivered. Well, he’d wished for a white Christmas, but this was bordering on ridiculous. He wrapped his scarf tightly as he walked down the church steps. He swore it wasn’t this bitterly cold before Mass, but now it seemed to have turned for the worse. And here he’d decided against driving to church. He mentally smacked himself, but then home was just a few teleports away.

Walking down the street a bit, and out of the view of his fellow church goers, he took his first leap, landing in an empty school yard. It wasn’t that he was ashamed of his power, he just was very aware it wasn’t “crowd friendly”. And with the groups of children who could be spooked, and the sulphurous smell that lingered, he had enough courtesy to avoid others before using it. Though on missions, this wasn’t always the key.

He took another leap, ending in what he recognized as the woods behind the mansion. Something in his chest squeezed a bit awkwardly, and he decided another jump may end Christmas early for him today, so he stuffed his hands in his pockets and began the walk back to the mansion. He could just make it out through the trees, the walk wouldn’t be more than a ten minutes. He could handle that. Then maybe some coffee as he made himself breakfast. Logan was surely up at this point, which meant there was a pot on. He smiled a bit, trying to focus on his coming coffee and breakfast more than he did on the cold….which seemed to be growing even colder.

No, it was definitely growing colder. He reached up and pulled his hat further over his pointed ears, and his scarf up over his nose. As he was fussing with his coverings, a movement caught out of the corner of his eye. A flash of white hair, and he turned, about to make a joke to Ororo about the weather and to reel it in a bit, when he realized it wasn’t her….but someone unfamiliar.

She walked with a regality he was unfamiliar with seeing, her body wrapped in white furs and long ice blue fabrics that shimmered in a way that seemed unnatural. Her long white hair tumbled down her back, reaching below her waist. One thing he was certain of, she was not a member of the school, which meant she was trespassing, or lost. Kurt assumed the latter, and moved toward her, wincing as a biting cold wind hit his face. “Hallo?”

She turned, her blue eyes cutting into him deep. Her skin was pale, so pale it was near white, and on further inspection appeared to have a bluish tinge to it. “Yes?” she asked him, the tone of her voice matching the regality of her walk.

“I am….sorry miss,” he said, then wondered why he was apologizing. “This is, um, private property, I was wondering are you lost? Do you need help?”

Her brow furrowed slightly. “I am not lost. I am exactly where I am supposed to be at the moment. Your concern is appreciated,” she moved to turn away.

This caused Kurt’s brow to furrow. He followed as she began to walk away from him. “I have not seen you before. I’m Kurt.” He offered.

“You may call me Lumi,” she offered back, still walking away from him.

“Lumi…well, Lumi, you must be new to the area, ja?” he asked, hot on her tail.

She stopped then, turning to him again. “I am new, yes. I came here only four days ago. However, I am not unfamiliar with this area. I spend my winters here every year.”

Ahh this made sense. “You only spend winter here? So you must have many homes then. You must truly love winter to come here to spend it. They can be harsh,” he didn’t know why he felt so compelled to stay and speak with this woman. Something about her entranced him, he felt like he had to know more, but everything just added to the mystery of her. “If you spend winters here, where do you spend your springs? Or summers?”

Lumi tipped her head. “Those are none of my concern. Where I go it’s always winter.”

“Ahh…so you follow winter then, ja? You must love the snow.”

“Actually, it’s more accurate to say winter follows me,” she rested her hand on a tree branch, a thin layer of ice spreading from under her palm. Kurt’s mouth fell open into a small “o” as he watched.

“You are a mutant,” he stated, watching as the ice spread and then trickled down into small icicles, the branch bending downward under the weight of the ice.

“Mutants are human,” she replied, her hand moving to another tree, the ice spreading. “You wished for this, didn’t you?”

“I-“ he stopped. “I did pray to God, ja. Asking for snow this morning. There is something magical to waking up to a fresh snowfall Christmas morning. It reminds me of my childhood.”

Lumi nodded. “It must be a large change to be living here, after growing up in Bavaria.”

He regarded her with an odd look. Perhaps she just recognized the accent? “It was quite a change. But this is my home now. And to be honest, this weather is reminding me more of my childhood than I intended…”

She gave him a soft smile. “You are a good man. Consider it a gift. Very few are rewarded with anything from me.”

Kurt nodded, his eyebrow quirking up. “Thank you?”

Lumi turned from him again, silently. Kurt watched as she walked off, her hands trailing on a few trees, the ice spreading and leaving everything sparkling behind her. He looked up into the sky, the trees above him glistening. Feeling another large, bitter wind, he looked down, noticing he was alone. Alone and freezing. He stuffed his hands in his pockets again, heading in the direction of the mansion. He wondered a bit about this companion, this woman Lumi. Where she’d come from, and where she’d gone. But for now, more pressing matters. His coffee and breakfast.

END
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

And to be honest, this weather is reminding me more of my childhood than I intended…
Oh, excellent!!! And you even got the moral of "The Snow Queen" in there too, about always treasuring your childhood in your heart no matter how old you get or where you end up. This is a really fantastic story. Sweet and magical and awesome. Thank you!!! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Good Luck!!!
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366