The elusive muse....

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

The elusive muse....

Post by Slarti »

Okay, beware, deep thoughts ahead.... :dead:

I am working on Cat and Mouse, and got stuck, so I began wondering about muses among the artists and writers here...

In CFAN, the writers created a whole universe for writers to inhabit, along with their muses. It's a very cool idea, that unfortunately has gotten bogged down. At the beginning though, it was a way for writers to enter the creative process and actually converse with their inspirations.

I've heard people refer to the mythical muses, personal muses, divine inspiration, talking stuffed animals.... all sorts of things. Some people say they carry on whole conversations with a muse. So, what inspires you? Do you have a personified muse in the mythic sense? Do you think it's just a part of yourself, or an outside force? Do ideas just strike you out of the blue? Do you have one muse, or many? Do you talk to them? Do you name them?

Hubby writes poetry, and he finds inspiration everywhere. But he recently wrote his first fan fic, starring Maggott, where that character was his inspiration.

I get inspired by reading comics and trying to fill in the holes I see, or by situations that I think would fit a certain character well. The inspiration for Cat and Mouse was a line of dialog that just came to me one day, and that's how many of my stories start. Shadow Man began with an off-the-cuff comment by Bamf (*sniff*, I miss him...:() about Kurt being a perfect spy.

So, I guess I don't have a muse in that classical sense. At least not one I carry on conversations with. Or do I, and I just don't know it?

Anybody got any thoughts on the muse phenomenon? Are muses metaphor? Reality? Psychosis?
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

Um, we're all nuts and muses are our way of dealing with it? Okay...that was stupid.

I have a lot of muses, male and female, human and not. Some just stop by once and only once, some stop by more then that. Some, take residence up in my head for a few weeks or months. Here's the list:

Vampire!Kurt- The muse I'm writting Indigo Shadows with, except he's being a jerk and not talking to me. I think one of my other muses scared him off or he's trying to get Rei to come to the dark side with him. Give it up VK, she's not comming...

NormalKurt- Muse I use for Oni Aman, Candle Light, a little of Aoi Tenshi, and Cookie Jar.

Orlimuse and Elijahmuse- Okay, I admit it, I think these two guys are hot. So I use these muses when I want a fic with the actors in it. Simply Irrisistible(Elijah), Dance, Shower and a Memory, Ordering Chinese, and currently Once in a Lifetime. (Orli)

Legolas and Aragorn- Yes dammit, I have a thing for elves... Use them for Elven Lover, beginning to wonder if I'll ever finish that fic.

Varioius CATS charaters- Some show up more then once. Like Misto, he's shown up a lot, and got turned into a vampire, along with Kurt.

Some just show up once. Like Macavity, I just needed him to play a main part for Demeter and that was it.

Some are good in one story, and bad in the next one. Demeter, I had her be good in White Gold, paired her up with Victoria, and had her be then villian in Tuxedo and Stripes, paired up Misto and Munkustrap, she didn't like it very much. But even funnier (sp?) is that I switched couples. It's normally Misto and Victoria together and Dem and Munku together, not the way I had it, and I didn't notice what I had done, until White Gold was done and I had started Tuxedo and Stripes.

Okay yeah, I'm just gonna go now....
"You cheated."
"Pirate."
-Will Turner and Jack Sparrow

"But why is the rum gone?"
-Jack Sparrow
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Rum-Tum Tugger is a curious cat.....

Post by Panz »

I have always spent more time alone in my head than is healthy for a body, or so I've been told...I spent most of my childhood alone in one way or another and have always been able to entertain my self with my own creations far better than anyone else could...when I was three I told my mama a story called "kanka-Tanka sewing head" which is rather involved for a toddler and is about three pages long, so I was born telling stories.

I don't know if I have an actual entity that I think of as a Muse, but I have good imagination days and bad ones...LOL, I am lucky to not have people around me most days so that I can pace and talk out loud to my self, I always think better while in motion. Writing usually just happens, I sit infront of the keyboard and the words flow...today, the frog-fairies have stolen my brain, however and I have been staring at a blank screen all morning. *sigh*
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

I use pen and paper, I have almost 2 notebooks filled with fics, it's rare that I get a fic I need to write on the comp, and when I do, they're short, or I print out a paper copy of them if I'm not done.
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow
silver_frosted_roze
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The elusive muse....

Post by silver_frosted_roze »

lol... I so understand that... I told stories to my bro to keep him entertained on all the long road trips my family took when we were little (how else can one keep a seven yr-old still for 18 hours?) newayz.. most of my muse/inspiration comes in daydreams... I'll sit and daydream it out in my head... that way I can replay it and twist it and all sorts of stuff before writing it down... downside is sometimes I forget stuff....
Encourage me to update my page. Or just read my blog.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The elusive muse....

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, I plot stuff while driving a lot. If I'm by myself, I can speak the dialog aloud to myself. The up side of that is the dialog sounds more natural, the downside is sometimes I forget what I said.
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

~Looks at the title Pandora wrote in her reply~ :D:D:D:D Please tell me I'm not the only CATS freak here. That would be cool if there are more here.
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

The elusive muse....

Post by Panz »

I loved CATS!, only got to see it once tho' *sniff* I bought the thing on collectible vinyl insted of discs and right now I dont have a turntable to play it on....In my Kurt/Kitty story that Ive put some of up here, there is a point in the second part of the story when Kitty says that when she didin't know Kurt very well, but wasn't scared of him anymore, she thought that he was a bit like Rum-Tum Tugger...he can't decide between being mortally offended and amused!

I do that too, Slarti! I'll be dialogueing along and the cursed phone will ring or something and I will lose all of my hard work! LOL! I need a save to disc option on my brain, I really do!
Panz

MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

I have it on video (two copies) and on DVD. I got that when I saw CATS in San Antonio, it was sooo cool! Wrote about it for my site and everything. Oh yeah, I have the first Broadway cast on CD, and the first London cast on record, but I haven't listened to that, my mom showed it to me in Half Priced Books one day 'cause it was CATS, and I told her I wanted it, so I got it.

Kurt as RTT? I don't know, I see him as Misto myself. Now Gambit, I can see as Tugger...
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

The elusive muse....

Post by Panz »

He IS more of a Misto, but to a thirteen year old girl, his skillz with the ladies seemed a bit like that...She is teasing him for being such a Don Juan ...he even argues that he is nothing like RTT...but it is a funny scene as he is walking backwards up a flight of stairs and pleading his innocence...I love it when he is playful and when he is trying to flirt his way out of something.

Ah well, back on topic...The idea of a muse of one's own is a funny idea . perhaps we should all make virtual pet muses and name them. put them up under our avatars etc....yes, I DO know that I am strange, as a matter of fact.
Panz

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

The elusive muse....

Post by Paty »

ah...methinks the boychick has been watching too much Xanadu ! He wants a tangible muse...LOL.Muses are like the air that whispers in your imagination, blowing eddies of creative thought around. sometimes there are lulls...sometimes there are hurricanes... Sometimes there's just this cranky old lady sweeping out cobwebs with a broom...
I like Kurt as rum tum tugger...he is mischievous and quixotic...and very romantic...and tugger was all of these...
Dave and I saw Cats on Broadway at the wintergarden...it was FAB! We used to hum the tunes and at one point even knew most of the lyrics of the songs...mccavity, mccavity there's no one like mccavity... LOL
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Nights_dreams
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The elusive muse....

Post by Nights_dreams »

im a cats fan too! i have seen it 5 times (3 in a row in las vegas) and two in calgary....
lmao
my favorite are mungojerrie and rumpleteazer and alonzo and bomby!!!
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

YAY! OTHER CATS FREAKS!

Paty, you saw it at the Winter Garden? ~decides if she should hate you or not. Or not wins~ Cool!

"For he's a fiend in feline shape, a monster of depravity! You may see him on the doorstep, you may see him in the air, but when a crime's decovered, MACAVITY'S NOT THERE!"

Sorry, watch the movie WAY too much, and I love that song, along with "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" (Jo Gibb and Drew Varley are my fave), "Magical Mister Mistoffelees" (Jacob Brent is my fave for him, David Blonn is second), "Rum Tum Tugger" (Go John Partridge) and "Memory" (Elaine Paige kicks ass in this song)

As for favorite cats they go in this order:

1. Misto
2. Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer
3. Tantomile and Coricopat (The Mystical Twins rock)
4. Bombalurina
5. Demeter
6. Etctera and Jemima (or Silibub as she was sometimes called)
7. Tugger
8. Victoria
9. Munkustrap
10. Cassandra

I've only seen it live once and that was when the tour came back to San Antonio. I wanted to go the first time they were there, but we couldn't afford tickets. This time I spent the last of my summer job money, $200 dollars, on 4 tickets and it was a big Christmas present for me, my mom bought me my souvineers (sp?).
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

The elusive muse....

Post by Panz »

On the subject of muses...I have a bad habit of cornering any writer/creator that I can and asking them about how their creative process works....I once asked Chris Clairmont what he did when he had writers block, and You have to give it to the guy for snappy come backs...he said "write poorly"....ah well....
Panz

Rex Luscus
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The elusive muse....

Post by Rex Luscus »

Well, Chris has a point - if you write for a living, you can't just sit around waiting to get in the right mood. You write something, anything, and if need be, you revise it later. I've heard many writers say, though, that they can't tell the difference between things they wrote when they were "inspired" and things they wrote when it was just another day at the office.

I write a lot, actually. And I've never felt a need to personify my inspiration. :) I think I understand why it's done, though. There's a particular feeling that I get when I'm writing something good - the words sound a little bit alien to me, and when I read them over again it's almost like I can't remember having thought them up, that they didn't actually come from me. And I can't like something I've written unless it has that alien quality to it, that detached, foreign feeling.

But I've never thought of that feeling as a Muse. :) It's just that old black magic called language.

-Rex
silver_frosted_roze
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The elusive muse....

Post by silver_frosted_roze »

hee hee wow... I love cats but have never seen it live... I want to very badly... but tis the curse of arkansas (only britney spears travels thru here) newayz... I wouldn't know anything about cats characters...

as for muse/inspiration... I can definately tell a diff when I'm forced to write.. it sucks horribly... I'll put it off as long as possible and do all sorts of things to break the block but it rarely works... but to have an inspiration... oh to have one of those is so fun...
Encourage me to update my page. Or just read my blog.
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

Oops, damn, hit the wrong button....

Anyways, guess what? I'M GOING HOME FOR MY BIRTHDAY! AND THE FAIR WILL BE IN TOWN!! YAY!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Ahem, sorry...

CATS rocks. But currently none of my muses are talking to me. They stop by and toss me a crumb or two, but nothing where I have to write and write right now.
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The elusive muse....

Post by Slarti »

I've seen Cats once, here in KC. I liked it, and got a t-shirt, but I'm afraid that was it...

Yeah, I have to write every day at my job, whether I want to or not. I've found very little difference in the quality of the product, in terms of whether I was inspired or not at the time I wrote it. What I have found is the writing process is more fun if I'm feeling inspired.
jogurt
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

The elusive muse....

Post by jogurt »

A cat, especialy mine could be realy an anti muse...please don´t think i didn´t love her, but she is sometimes a little...annoying when i draw. When she was a little kitten she found out that such a light table get warm. so she like to sit on it...and she runs around and play aristocats Toulouse with my colors...LOL
The Pyramid over Egypt links with the Pyramid
of Time and Illusion. It is run by I, Thoth or
Hermes, the Trickster and Master of the Game.
(AKA. Azazel;) )
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

Aw, that's cute.
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The elusive muse....

Post by kladyelf »

i once joked that my muses (both of them part-time (i was a student then)) consisted of the Patron Saint of Time-Wasting, and a sentient moustache cloned from the dandruff of Jon Cleese (which i guess explains a lot! Dead phoenix sketch, Xander the Buffy Slayer and many more....also explains why i never seem to get to finish the things!!!)

Seriously though when i write a story its because a word or phrase pops into my mind and i just work around that.

and i don't know about the rest of you but i always thought wolverine would have made a pretty good "great rumpus cat" (mind you i think Billy Connoly would make a *great* Merlin!)

weeee! its Friday afternoon and i'm tiiired!
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
MoonbeamDancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The elusive muse....

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

Wolvie as Rumpus Cat? Hmmm.... Maybe.
"You cheated."
"Pirate."

-Jack Sparrow