Nacht's senior project...

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

So, I realize I don't really share my art here, which is quite odd, considering I went to art school, and graduated with a BFA concentrating in sculpture. But then, my sculpture is horribly difficult to share unless one were to experience it first hand. Basically, I am of the belief that art does not exist in the piece itself, but in the viewers interaction with it, and experiences gained. Therefor, most of my work takes the form of installation, or mini "adventures" (as I call them...a few tunnels and labyrinths I've built.) Though, due to a total lack of building space, my senior project had to be smaller scale, and it's just a tad easier to share. Here, I've included a picture of the piece as it was displayed in the senior group show, though this is only about 30% of the piece itself. The real piece no longer exists, having been washed away. The point was to have these stones disintegrate to nothing. I'm not going to speak of it conceptally, because I prefer to see what conclusions others draw and see how close they come ;). But the pictures above the stine in the piece are a day to day log of the other four in their disintegration process....anyway, take a look. I'll see about uploading the pictures included on the wall in their original format so they're easier to see, but it'll take some time.....well, here it is:

"I Was..." by Nacht

Larger Image (use the magnefying glass to really get a good look, though the picture isnt the best, you can make out the engraving on the stone)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Come, now, people......14 peeks and not a word??

It's gonna take alot to upload all the other pics, but if there's no interest, no bother..it's no big deal, I just won't worry about that...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

I guess it's just really hard to get a good impression of your art just by looking at this picture as you stated yourself. I can't even tell how tall this tombstone actually is, the material it is made of (clay? cement?), its position to the other stones and how you made it. Now that would really interest me.:nodyes (But you don't have to upload tons of pictures just for telling me that.)
(I study East Asian Art History and I'm greatly interested in art in general.)
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by Cibo
I guess it's just really hard to get a good impression of your art just by looking at this picture as you stated yourself. I can't even tell how tall this tombstone actually is, the material it is made of (clay? cement?), its position to the other stones and how you made it. Now that would really interest me.:nodyes (But you don't have to upload tons of pictures just for telling me that.)
(I study East Asian Art History and I'm greatly interested in art in general.)
The tombstone is rather standard in size..about 2 and a half feet tall, though i can't remember the width...perhaps 1.5 feet? All 5 were made the same way, I carved a stone out of pink foam then created a latex mold and a plaster mother mold....the four I dissolved were made of a 1-1 mixture of plaster and salt, while the one for exhibition was solely plaster. An original idea was to make them out of investment, but that was too fragile to be able to transport...

The four other stones were positioned in a stream on campus (orginally, it was going to be done in the ocean, but facing a $500,000 fine, I had to swith it up) where they disintegrated over days......when I get home from work, I'll upload a picture of them in the stream so you get a better idea of them, but you can kinda make them out in the pictures above.

The pictures above this stone are all photodocumentation of the disintegration process. I also have a video that accompanies it and made a whole dvd for my final product. What you are looking at in this picture, though, is about 5 feet tallish...well, between four and five feet, including pictures and stone...
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

It's all about impermanence right? That must catch people's eyes on campus. And it would be hard to miss the point since tombstones are so symbolic death.

Not much of an art critique. (That's why I'm going to major in biology)

Are any of the tombstones engraved?

And because I have to ask, is your project 'environmentally friendly'?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by chicory
It's all about impermanence right? That must catch people's eyes on campus. And it would be hard to miss the point since tombstones are so symbolic death.

Not much of an art critique. (That's why I'm going to major in biology)
Actually, thats exactly hat its about! On a deeper scale, its about the concept of "forever" and how water is the main source of change in the workings of the planet and its inhabitants..

There's alot more to it...its all in my thesis and it makes alot more sense....but thats the most basic "gist"
Are any of the tombstones engraved?

And because I have to ask, is your project 'environmentally friendly'?
All the tombstones are engraved, and at the moment I cannot remember exactly what they say.....the one in the picture above has the name of the piece ("I Was...")

And its kinda environmentally friendly. The only part of them not really great is the plaster, but the stream on campus is so overly polluted from the facilities building it runs through, that adding this bit didn't feel like it'd make a huge difference...plus it was on school property. That's why I couldn't do it on the beach :( They're crazy touchy about that....

Here's a few close ups:

chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I guessed better than I thought then :)

Glad to hear they're okay for the environment, though that's too bad about your campus stream being polluted. Is the facilities building being pressured to clean up it's act? I'd think students would be upset about something like that :(

As far as placement goes, it's too bad your artwork can't be in the ocean. (I imagine the waves moving in and out would add something to the piece - like the swinging pendulum of a clock.) But, the stream is pretty and probably more accessible, so more people might see it. (And it's much better than paying a fine)

Does the last tombstone say forgotten? (It's a little blurry on my monitor).
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Yep, it says forgotten...

And about the stream, honestly, students at Purchase have so many other things to bitch about that cleaning up the stream is the last thing on their minds.....but eventually, if they run out of other causes, I'm sure it'll come up ;)

But I'm glad you like it! I carved the words into each stone meself which I'm pretty proud of, considering they look damn good...though I really dislioke the words. But I was on time constraints and didn't have many other ideas at the time so i had no choice. And going without words would have been worse....
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

I like the words, they seem to follow the path of life to death...and after (though forgotten is a pretty gloomy outlook, considering we are all striving for immortality). Very interesting though, I really like it!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by Tyros
I like the words, they seem to follow the path of life to death...and after (though forgotten is a pretty gloomy outlook, considering we are all striving for immortality). Very interesting though, I really like it!
Thanks!!

This weekend I'm going to upload one of my other pieces. It's an environmental installation, and by far one of my favorite pieces of the past few years....
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Now with fixed images:

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Man. This one is just so awesome. I really love the theme and the way it came out, and I relaly admire all the work it must haev taken to do those things. They're awesome, nacht.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Wow. Figured I'd come look in the arty thread considering that I'm killing time at college.

This is awesome, Nacht. I really like the feeling of the stones and the words carved on them. You've put across the feeling really well :D

*is inspired* :shifty
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art