The Trucker: A True Story

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

The story you're about to read is true. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

related by Rowena

This happened about a week ago. I had just gotten out of class and was on my way home after yet another exhausting twelve hour day. It was very late and very dark and the rain was making it difficult to see. I needed music to keep me alert, so I turned on the radio. To my enormous frustration, every station was a commercial--except for one. It was one of those call-in shows...I don't know the name. I was about to switch the channel, but the emotion in the lady caller's voice made me pause and listen instead. This is the story she told...

It was the middle of winter and Gracie and her husband George were moving to a new house. They'd had to take two cars to haul all their stuff. Gracie drove the pick-up while George took the lead in their pea-green van. The going was fine at first and they were making good time--until somewhere past New York City they ran headlong into a major blizzard.

Traffic slowed to a bare crawl. Smaller cars were slipping and sliding down the exit ramps. Soon the highway was choked with frightened, anxious drivers--Gracie among them. Although the wipers were going full blast, she could barely make out the pea-green van mere feet in front of her, and the storm was only getting worse. Finally, Gracie grew so terrified that she switched on the CB radio, needing to hear her husband's voice.

She poured out all her fears into that radio, practically sobbing as the blinding snow continued to build up around them. There was little her husband could say to comfort her, because he was just as terrified.

Just then, there was a crackle of static and a third voice broke in to their panicked conversation. It was the calm, steady voice of a trucker. He'd heard them talking and as it turned out, he was headed their way.

George and Gracie were nervous to trust this stranger, but they didn't have much choice. So, when he offered to lead them out of the storm, they agreed.

Falling in like ducklings, George and Gracie trailed the trucker west for over a hundred miles. His huge rig cut a clean path for them, and blocked the bulk of the falling snow. For the first time in hours, Gracie could see their van clearly and she felt her fears draining away.

Several hours later, the trucker reached his exit and it was time for them to part. Gracie was disappointed--she'd really enjoyed the tales he'd shared with them as they drove. She wanted very badly to thank him for saving their lives--offering to send him a gift when they reached their new home--but the trucker wouldn't hear of it. It was his pleasure, he said. Besides, he'd been going their way anyway.

Today, Gracie calls the trucker her real-life guardian angel. Although she never learned his name, she will always remember his CB handle: Nightcrawler.

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Oh, that is great. I wonder if the trucker spoke with a slight Bavarian accent. Or maybe he was inspired by someone who does. ;)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

wow, truth can be stranger and more marvelous than fiction sometimes - how very cool
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

That's really cool, Rowena. Coincidences like that are awesome things. :o
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

:D :D

I was just re-reading this, and I have to say even though I'm the one who wrote it, it reminds me of that show on the Sci-Fi Channel hosted by Commander Riker, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction. When I heard the trucker's handle was Nightcralwer, I was just like, no way. But sure enough, there was the FACT label slapped across the metaphorical screen. Yes indeed, this story was just too cool not to share, and I'm really glad you liked it too! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Wow!!! We knew he was an angel!!! :beer
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

:halo Some things are just too marvelous to be explained....and some you just don't want them to be!

Cool story, thanks for sharing, Rowena!
"I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know." -J.R.R. Tolkein