The FV & TTT Social Thread

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Hi. I merged this post into our social thread because we try not to get into too many non-critique related discussions in the forum itself. No worries - this is what this social thread is for. :)

You're in good company - there are two other fencers here, myself and Rowena. Rowena fences foil on her college team. I've been fencing foil since I was 12 (almost 22 years now). I was on my varsity team in college and now I'm an assistant instructor here at University of Illinois and I love it. When I started, women didn't fence all three weapons so sabre and epee weren't an option for me. I've yet to feel the need to try one of them out; I'm still trying to uncover all the possibilities of the foil! Someday though...

We may need to start a FV&TTT social fencing thread. :LOL

Until then, engarde! :engarde

-e
Cute kid quote of the month: "It's slobberin' time!"
heh. That is cute. Sounds like something my dog would say.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Thanks for putting my post in its rightful place. The cute kid quote was my four year old trying to impersonate Ben Grimm.
As for the fencing, I had done a bit of sabre as a teenager, just for fun. Then with the onset of my illness, I couldn't even hold a pen to sign my medical forms, let alone hold a blade, or practice piano my minimum two hours a day. :cry
Years and lots of therapy later, I'm finally more or less ready for the salle. Tough thing is that I used to fence equally well with both hands. Lefty's going to need a bit of work, however, as all suitable sabre-related muscle development is gone from that hand. Ah, well, it's an excuse for me to work on the other weapons!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

More to put on a hopefully soon to be social fencing forum. :D After a bit of disappointment missing the last practice (due to my son needing a trip to the ER), I was back today. After some fun with the sabre, coach decided to give my wrists and fingers a bigger challenge and put me on epee.
Great fun getting to work some with a new-to-me weapon, but I really think I'm a sabrist at heart. And the new jacket and sabre I've ordered should be in in a couple weeks! Anyway, so excited I just had to share.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Angelique
More to put on a hopefully soon to be social fencing forum. :D
A forum? That might take a while. ;) But if you wanted to, you could start your own thread for social fencing in Off-Topic Antics. :P
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Speaking of fencing...I have an announcement!!!

My fencing instructor, Alex Ripa, is in Leipzig, Germany right at this very moment at the World Fencing Championships!!!!!!! It's really fantastic. He's doing commentary for the semi-final and final bouts and medal ceremonies each day. And guess what--you can watch the events on the Internet!!!!!!

Here's the information I was sent from the Rhode Island Fencing Academy and Club, where I take my lessons.
You can see daily updates for

free at http://www.fencingchannel.tv and you can watch streaming video of

Alex's commentary of all the World Championship semi-final and final

bouts and medal ceremonies at http://www.wcsn.com at a cost of $9.95 for the

whole World Championships (the whole thing: not per event!).

Also you can listen to Podcasts on the iTunes store by typing in

"fencingchannel". There are some interviews from the event.

This is a great chance to check out some world-class fencing and to hear RIFAC's own head coach doing exclusive coverage for the FIE!

It's absolutely AWESOME!!!! If you like fencing, you've GOTTA check this out!!!! :D :D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

I was just thinking about how rockin' this forum is lately - with the contests and the subforums up top. No forum is easy to moderate, but unlike the comic or off-topic forums, this one requires inspiration and encouragement.

I was going to say "good job" to Nacht in the staff forum, but then I thought I'd do it here where everyone else could see it too.

Great work Nacht!

-e
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

HI, gang! It's me! I saw this thread and since I am roughly new, a little over two months now, I thought I would introduce myself. (Gee, is giving a name appropriate? Nah, I guess not!)

I am a tad on the older side, and have a passion for art, and writing that stem back to childhood(like say ten years old?). Comic books were a part of my life in my early teen years, though I collected a heckuva lot more DC than Marvel. No one probably remembers those old Supergirl issues when they were beginning to dress her in those mod 1970's hip huggers and go-go boots, but I sure do! I had those issues once, along with those coveted Wonder Woman issues where Princess Diana had lost her memory, and was dressed in white, and fighting baddies using more karate moves because she didn't know she was an Amazon. Ancient Legion of Superheroes with those romantic Supergirl/Brainiac 5 interludes! SIGH! Then along came marvel with Astronishing Tales and Deathlok the Demolisher, which got my SF mojo goin', which led to Spidey fighting Deathlok, which led to Spidey fighting this... blue demon looking guy???? Wow!!! He's cool...Nightcrawler? Which led to a crossover into X-Men, and the rest is history! I started to spin tales about him, whereas before it had been other things based on other established characters, besides my poetry.

I also fenced in college, and am a diehard Dumas fan. Love Basil Rathbone, while my Mom swooned over Errol Flynn in the days of her youth. Elric of Melnibone is one of my favorite fantasy literature characters. LOVE the Stainless Steel Rat, and Bill the Galactic Hero! (anybody got any hotpups? a barbecued porcuswine burger? sugarfried spamyams?? Hmmm...?) Michael Whelan art and Rowena Morrell (spelling??)! Master Cockrum, of course!:D

I believe life should be lived with passion; an expression as vibrant as music set to a supernova, or as deep as the depths of the sea. Nothing should be done halfway. Love should be given freely and differences spoken openly, with everyone and everything embraced. I want to live up to that, and I guess my one regret is that I haven't done everything right. I love people who express themselves. I also like to make people laugh...told to go to the Improv in San Fran more than once, and a girl at work wanted to be my agent-- SO IF THAT HAPPENS TO YOU, DO IT!! Don't hold back or you don't know what you'll miss.

I hope you're reading "World Without End"...finally doing something with one of my tall tales!

I am glad to be here...it is a priviledge and a pleasure to make new friends!

Like to call myself 65% Irish, with the rest German, and a tad of Brit thrown in!

By the way, was looking at Chinese astrology stuff out of curiousity...hmm...I was born in the year of the rat, 1960...I'll confess, I'll confess! The idiosyncrasies mentioned about rats certainly do explain some of the aspects of my character. I'm supposed to be a writer and a goof! Yeah! Yeah!

Edited for the express purpose of overgushing! (Sheesh! That was too much!)

[Edited on 24/4/06 by StarChild]

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Arcane-angel
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Arcane-angel »

wow i was alittle upset that this thread was updated last in january. I figured I'd post here since my computer kicked the bucket last september and i finally got it back. I'm so lost on everything in every community i'm in i missed comics fanfiction (GOD i missed fanfic) and its so crazy!!! I think i'm gonna cry. will someone pity and tell me its okay?

(has just read a banner saying the nighty comics been cancelled) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sobs)
"I've got a dungeon masters guide
I've gotta twelve sided dice
I've got kitty pryde
and nightcrawler too
waiting there for me
yes I do"
~"In the garage" Weezer
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I don't know if CurlyHairGirl still posts here, but I stumbled on some of her stuff tonight and it is absolutely amazing.

And:
Originally posted by Elwing
Here are some posts on the temporary board that I will add to this tread for your amusement! Enjoy;)

Zamweasel wrote:

Making the cricket masturbate on the summer sausage is funny though.
Ha! So THAT'S why we need the cricket back so urgently.

[Edited on 20-3-2006 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Just to let you all know, I'm in Albany til Sunday....so, if I haven't read and commented on your challenge fic yet, thats why ;)

I'll be back Sunday night!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

REALLY COOL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Post by Rowena »

Hey, Everyone!

I have a really cool announcement! Ready?

:party I'VE BEEN PUBLISHED!!! :party

My article has just been published in the Spring 2006 issue of The Baker Street Journal (Volume 56, Number 1, pages 29-40.). I just got my two complimentary copies in the mail and it is SO FREAKING AWESOME to see my work in print!!!

The article is entitled "The Search for Forbidden Knowledge: Holmes, Moriarty, and the Faust Legend." It started out as a final paper for an honors class on Sherlock Holmes I took as a freshman. My professor liked it and wanted to expand it into an actual article and I agreed. We've been working on it together for several years and he even presented parts of it at Yale University last summer. And now, here it is IN PRINT!!! This is so cool. I am so EXCITED!!! :D :D :D

So, if any of you happen across a copy of the Spring 2006 Baker Street Journal: An Irregular Quarterly of Sherlockiana edited by Steven Rothman and published in New York by the Baker Street Irregulars, you have GOT to CHECK IT OUT!!! :read

And now, a happy dance:

:monkey :dance :dance :monkey

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Whoohoo! Good for you Rowena!!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Congrats, Rowena. Now you know I'm going to ask, if it's possible, for you to post link so we can see it here and bask in your wonderous Rowena-ness! :)

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

WOw, Rowena, thats FANTASTIC!! Congrats!!!

And yes, post a link!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

:D :D !!!THANK YOU!!! :D :D

Unfortunately, the article isn't available online, but I can put up a link to The Baker Street Journal's website. This is the address:

http://www.bakerstreetjournal.com/pages ... /index.htm

I have a copy of the article saved on my computer, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post it... Does anyone know the protocol for that sort of thing? I'd really LOVE to share it with you!!!!!

Thanks so much, everyone! You all are awesome! :D

~Rowena
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Congrats! I'll bet posting exerpts is allowable - even if posting a link isn't.

When you sell something you write, do you lose ownership of it :? I just wondered b/c if you wrote it, and it's yours, you should be able to do whatever you like with it.

I wonder if those journals would be archived in the library... (or people could just go out and buy it, of course :scratch)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Here's something y'all might find neat. The actor John O'Hurley (a.k.a. J. Peterman from Seinfeld gave a speech at my college's commencement this year and his speech was really good. I mean REALLY good. I've worked as a student editorial and/or computer assistant in various capacities for about 5 years now and I've consequenty read/listened to a LOT of commencement speeches. I have to say that, hands down, this was the best I've ever read! It's funny, insightful, and inspirational, and since they just posted it on our website I thought it might be fun to share it with you. Here's the link:
http://www.providence.edu/About+PC/Coll ... ddress.htm

I especially liked his "Peterman Guide to an Extraordinary Life." :D

~:sparrow "Arrrr"

[Edited on 25/5/06 by Rowena]
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

YAHOO!! I did it! I finally made it! 500+ posts!!! I am no longer a Butt Monkey!! At long, long last, I have graduated to Deck Swabber!!! YES!!! :LOL :sparrow

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Woot! 500 posts.

Look at this:

That roxxors!!!1!!one!

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Now that's taking flying lunges to an entirely new and literal level!

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Now that's taking flying lunges to an entirely new and literal level!
No kidding!!! LOL! That's an awesome picture! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Wesa
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Wesa »

Hello, everyone! I'm rather new here...as far as actually having an account goes. But I've been lurking ever since I found room in my heart for the fuzzy blue elf somewhere near the start of last summer. I've finally decided to stop being so shy and just post here to say hello and also ask a question:

Are we allowed to post crossovers here?

For that's what I mostly write, and I was wondering if it would be okay to post here.

And to Rowena: Congrats on getting published! You're one of my favorite authors to read in these forums. :D
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Crossovers are totally cool! :) And welcome!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Wesa!

Yeah, crossovers are great! And thank you very, very much!!! :D :D Welcome to Nightscrawlers! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Wesa
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Wesa »

Thanks, guys. :D Its good to be here! Though I'm still so incredibly embarrassed, haha I feel so new to the fandom compared to you guys, and I'm afraid of making a stupid mistake in my writing or something. That's the main reason I've held back from posting for so long...stupid, no? I know you're all a group of really great people, so I don't know why...*nervous laugh*