Doodles 'n stuff...

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by B A M F ! »

Joining the fun with some old and new artwork... :)

These are pretty old...
Waaaaay back when Kurt was leading EXCALIBUR he went through what has been affectionately referred to by some Scrawlers as his "Pirate-Kurt" phase. ( New costume and buzz-cut courtesy of CARLOS PACHECO!)
This was a submission to the WIZARD magazine envelope contest...

Around the same time NIGHTCRAWLER went through his dramatic costume change in EXCALIBUR , WOLVERINE had actually devolved into a more bestial state over in the pages of UNCANNY. With this drawing I wanted to depict the dramatic and ironic changes between the two friends...

Should have some newer stuff scanned and posted in a little bit :)

BAMF!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Saint Kurt »

Cool. Nice work. Though I refer to that fashion phase as "Taxi-Driver Kurt" - to express not just his look, but his general attitude during that period.

Yeah, Taxi Driver, the awesome Scorsese film that like no one has seen because it was made in 1976 and they haven't redone it with CGI special FX yet. ;)

It's the movie where the line "You talkin' to me? There ain't nobody else here..." came from. It's got Robert De Niro in it and while he starts out with a normal haircut, this is his look by the end when he goes all bad ass: viva la mohawk!.

But, yeah Pirate-Kurt, Taxi Driver-Kurt... It's all good.

-e
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Rowena »

Oooh, Pirate-Kurt! :D I really liked his sword, but I absolutely despised that goatee thing and the cue-ball crew-cut. This is just a personal opinion thing, but I think he looks better clean-cut with curly hair. To my eye, the facial hair made him look like he really was a demon (it must have been rather itchy and uncomfortable too given it had to grow in over his fur!) and it was a huge relief when he finally shaved it off. Wasn't it Amanda's idea, the beard?

Enough about the comics, now onto your pictures! These are truly excellent! :D The dramatic irony really comes off loud and clear in the second one. I like the first one too, where he goes from crouching to standing tall and confident. I think it shows his transition from a side-kick kind of figure to a leader. I hope it did well in the contest! :D

Great drawings! I look forward to seeing more! :D :D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by bluefooted »

I love Logan's out-of-control arm hair :D Nice work on these. Add some more!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Diablo »

Cool stuff, BAMF ! :bamf

The drawing featuring Nightcrawler and Logan's changes is a great parallel. It was seven years ago I think...
Superman was blue, Ben Reilly was Spider-man... and Kurt was a pirate, LOL !
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by HoodedMan »

I love the second one; it's hilarious and it makes a good point! :p
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I have to agree with Rowena on several points, the buzz cut and goatee were never Nightcrawlers look...*in a voice like egors*..heh-he needs long hair, master.

back on topic:
What did you use to color these, they're awesome. I love how well the colors sort of meld together, especially in the fist one in the Bamf cloud.
His sword is awesome.
I love Kurts expression on the ''then'' side, it shows off his fun lovin' side vs. his "Can't touch this" look in the ''now''. He just seems like the weight of the world fell on his shoulders no matter how tall he stands.

And Logan! That's priceless artwork there. In the now, I could'nt help but think of the movie 'Labyrinth', he just looks like he would be in it. It also reminded meof that one CapitalOne commercial with all the Marvel characters(if you look hard enough, you'll notice that they had big ole pads of hair pasted to his arms.:LOL)

I love these B A M F !!!!

love y'all,
EMO
one name: Bruce Campbell
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by zamweasel
Yeah, Taxi Driver, the awesome Scorsese film that like no one has seen because it was made in 1976 and they haven't redone it with CGI special FX yet. ;)

LMAO! TAXI DRIVER was awesome! Gotta luv that classic Scorsese ZAMWEASEL! Not to mention De Niro's super-intense performance....:eek
While not quite as surly as AoA Nightcrawler, Kurt truly was a LOT more of a bad@sss back then. I remember a little later on (In an EXCALIBUR ish spotlighting KITTY, COLOSSUS and NIGHTCRAWLER) they found a pretty humorous way of addressing the fact that LEADER/PIRATE/TAXI DRIVER Kurt seemed to have completely lost his 'sense of humor'. :P Good Stuff!

Originally posted by Rowena
The dramatic irony really comes off loud and clear in the second one. I like the first one too, where he goes from crouching to standing tall and confident. I think it shows his transition from a side-kick kind of figure to a leader.

EXACTLY! That's just what I was trying to capture with both of those drawings ROWENA :D !! It seemed to me that the visual evolution of Kurt's leadership role within EXCALIBUR started with ALAN DAVIS' tendency to draw Nightcrawler standing erect as opposed to always crouching. With each drawing I tried to capture that shift from 'HAPPY-GO-LUCKY/MASCOT' mode into 'SERIOUS/LEADERSHIP' mode. :)

Oh and sadly my envelope never did win the 'Envelope of the Month' contest. :(
Some years later though I did finally see a Nightcrawler envelope win it so that was pretty cool!

Originally posted by bluefooted
I love Logan's out-of-control arm hair :D
LMAO! Danke BLUEFOOTED!
The funny thing is that I felt like I really screwed up the fore-shortening of that arm... so I went a little crazy with bestial-Logan's hair patch to try and hide it :P

Originally posted by Diablo
Superman was blue, Ben Reilly was Spider-man... and Kurt was a pirate, LOL !
Ha ha! I remember what a fuss 'ELECTRIC SUPERMAN' and 'CLONE SPIDEY' raised in the comic world back then... Interesting times DIABLO! :eek

Originally posted by HoodedMan
I love the second one; it's hilarious and it makes a good point! :p
Thanks NORTHSTAR! At the time I remember a lot of my WOLVERINE- loving buddies werent too excited about that drawing ... LOL!

I was like, "What!? Me make a statement about the evolution of Nightcrawler at the expense of Wolverine...? Perish the thought!" ;) :LOL

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
What did you use to color these, they're awesome. I love how well the colors sort of meld together, especially in the fist one in the Bamf cloud.
His sword is awesome.
Thank you CURLYHAIRGIRL :D!!
Waaay back when I used to love coloring with these awesome oil-based markers by 'DESIGN'. They tended to bleed a lot though, and it was always tricky trying to color and blend my stuff without ruining it. (Of course now with the magic of KINKOS I hardly ever color my originals anymore :P) I still have a ton of 'em stashed away somewhere... not sure if they even make DESIGNERS anymore :?

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
I love Kurts expression on the ''then'' side, it shows off his fun lovin' side vs. his "Can't touch this" look in the ''now''. He just seems like the weight of the world fell on his shoulders no matter how tall he stands.

YES! It always seems like whenever there's a team shot of the X-MEN everyone is grimacing while Kurt will have that classic, impish 'Nightcrawler-smile' on his face. :D Whenever I see Kurt in his classic costume for some reason I always picture him with that grin! [/quote]

Thanks so much for the Kudos everyone!! Havent felt the urge (or had the time) to really sit down and do some serious doodling for a while. ( It's tricky enough just trying to post while i'm at work... heh heh!) I have to admit that all of the kind words seem to have re-activated my long-dormant 'muse'...

DANKE! :D

BAMF!
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Cibo »

Hm.. these are pretty lousy but nonetheless...
I can't handle pastels (but still I keep trying). Unbalanced proportions, the nose is too small.
http://animexx.4players.de/fanarts/outp ... f=&x=4&y=9

A sketch
http://animexx.4players.de/fanarts/outp ... =&x=23&y=5

(If this didn't scare you off you can check out my whole gallery.)
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Hah! Those are nice. Good composition and colours. It's interesting for me because the changed costumes are from the period where I stopped reading comics. I'm slowly restarting my collection and am edging toward those and...It's all YOUR FAULT! Because you're all so FRIENDLY and make it INTERESTING!
hem...
So...will you add your vernim drawing to this thread?
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by B A M F ! »

CIBO I like that first one, Kurt looks menacing! I've always thought it looks really cool whenever Kurt bares his fangs. ( Check my 'Scrawlers Avatar ;) )
In your second sketch I like the color contrast between the reddish-brown hues of his 'BAMF!' cloud and the greys in the figure of Kurt. (Nice touch with the little bit of yellow in his eyes!)

Thank you SHADOWSCRAWL!
I've also gone through periods where i've stopped collecting and had to catch up as I eventually and inevitably found my way back. :)

The ONE time in my life when I came closest to quitting for good was waaaaaay back during the MUTANT MASSACRE storyline in the X-Books. When NIGHTCRAWLER was critically wounded and written out of the X-MEN I just completely lost interest in collecting. I still picked up the occasional SPIDEY and whatever DC title caught my fancy on the magazine racks every now and then. Other than that I was pretty much done with comics.
The thing that brought me back a few years later....?

DAVIS and CLAREMONT's incredibly well done EXCALIBUR special edition "The Sword is Drawn" :D

Oh and add the VERMIN/NIGHTCRAWLER pic? Most definitely!
This was of course inspired by the current storyline in DARICK and ROBERTO's awesome Nightcrawler solo series....

Vermin has always given me the 'willies' so I thought the idea of him and Nightcrawler going at it was pretty cool. The fight happens off panel so I couldnt help doing a doodle!

Got a couple more...
Waaaaay back when in the old Nightcrawler Monument CRAWLER made a thread speculating on what the soon-to-be-debuting ULTIMATE NIGHTCRAWLER might look like....

and after adding some color...

Poster boy for AADD that I am though, I never did finish the piece :( If I remember correctly CRAWLER, BAMFETTE, ELWING, GARBLE and a few other 'Scrawlers had some really cool interpretations!

BAMF!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

1) B A M F !, You have really nice handwriting.:D

2)The Vermin Sketch is cool, it's like a behind the scenes type a thing for me between the NC issues, thanks.

3)Your ULTIMATE NIGHTCRAWLER sketch is HOT!!
NC is hot when he looks angry...so hot:lick

sorry,getting carried away

4) The concept for his uniform on the colored version is cool. It's different and unique, yet at the same time carries the classic look...wait, was that an oxy-moron?...anyhow, i like it.

:bamf
one name: Bruce Campbell
Andrew
Lubber
Lubber

Great work

Post by Andrew »

Can't wait to see more!
Anything in the mind can become reality!
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Shadowscrawl »

I agree with CurlyHairGirl. I would like to add that you loosen up quite a bit on your own stuff. It has more movement and a more organic line. Ni-i-i-ice.
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by B A M F ! »

After months of not drawing i've been in a doodling FrEnZy the last couple of weeks. A lot of my re-awakened passion comes from reading your posts and seeing all of the awesome work in this forum... THANK YOU for all of the great feedback!

CURLYYHAIRGIRL Danke for the handwriting compliment! You should see the chicken scratch I usually crank out though when i'm not taking my time ...LOL!

So ya like seeing Kurt when he's angry huh? It's SO against his nature to lose his cool that it's always a blast seeing him get pissed enough to open up a can of whoop-arse on somebody. (Fun to draw too!)
Glad ya liked my take on his ultimate uniform! (Which of course eventually turned out to be waaaay off ha ha!) I know I have a version of that pose with him in his original costume buried some where if I can find it i'll post it !

Thank You ANDREW!
I have a couple more doodles i'm thinking of posting and I have an idea for a wicked SPIDER-MAN/NIGHTCRAWLER piece that i'll post as soon as it's started. (I figure it's logical to assume that since WOLVERINE knows that PETER PARKER is SPIDEY it's likely he's already told his best friend the secret. Hence, Kurt knows that Pete is Spider-Man! When I thought about that some interesting ideas for an encounter between the Fuzzy Elf and the Wall Crawler came to mind!)

SHADOWSCRAWL I appreciate the kudos! Someone with Nightcrawler's inherent agility should be the definition of fluidity-in-motion. It's always tricky for me trying to capture that on paper!

BAMF!
Andrew
Lubber
Lubber

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Andrew »

Heres a sketch i did today
Andrew
Lubber
Lubber

Doodles 'n stuff...

Post by Andrew »

oops here