Innocent Of Evil... an Evo Story. [PG-13 for Adult Situation

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Innocent Of Evil... an Evo Story. [PG-13 for Adult Situations]

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Sorry on the belated posting, I just managed to wade through it. Pleasant wading mind you!
I don't see Jerrin as being mary-sue ish personally, just an origional character. I think that the lots of writers may be paranoid of creating a mary-sue because
1 - we have all read very pathetic mary-sue stories
2 - in fan fic because most of the charecters are already established if we create a new one and we can relate to them well (after all how can you write about someone that you cannot put in your pov) we are paranoid that it is a mary-sue.
Your story is very rich in detail, without being too cumbersome. It took me a bit to warm to it in the beginning, but it did captivate me.
The only critique that I have is a personal opinion, and no doubt isn't shared by everyone. I found the length of the posted lyrics a little much. Though I get how the lyrics applied to the story, I didn't think that they added to the feeling of it, they were for me just extra words that I skipped. But hey, that's me...
Great work all in all.
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Hehehe... that's one I didn't expect... the lyrics?

I only did part of the lyrics of most of the songs... I stuck in another verse of 'Let it be', and put in the whole of 'I'm so tired'. Only the first line or so of 'Yer Blues', and a couple verses and the end of the chorus of 'Help'.

Glad you liked the story, and I hate most song fics, but I thought these bits worked. :LOL
Don't hate me because I scare you...
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Been so very busy that I haven't been here for quite a while but I just got a chance to finish reading this and figured I'd put in my 2 cents worth. First off, I really enjoyed it. I think Jerrin's quite interesting and though he does have a vague feeling of Gary Stuishness I suspect it's more because I didn't see enough of his mental processes/internal monologue so I don't really feel enough of a connection with him. Also, the 'relationship' between Kurt and Jerrin...don't see enough reason for why it's developed to this point. The interaction while they were in captivity could be some justification for it, but I'd actually like to have seen more internal reflection of some kind to demonstrate why the deep affection exists rather than just have it implied. Maybe that's just me, though. Also, Jerrin springing the whole total commitment vs. just friendship vs. leaving and never coming back in your lifetime thing at the end seemed rather abrupt to me. Maybe there's a reason for that in Jerrin's culture, but it just seemed...forced. I would have expected him to give things a chance to develop/progress under 'normal' circumstances before springing that on someone, especially after what they just went through. Despite the above, though, I do like the character and I like the situation/premise and I'd actually like to see more of this. I think, depending on what I see of their interaction - other than a great kiss and some question and answer time - that it could be very interesting and potentially quite IC to see him choose to be with Jerrin.

Anyway, sorry if this doesn't make much sense. Very tired and semi-concussed, but I didn't want to ignore this because I've really enjoyed the story.
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

You're quite right... it was a heavy thing to lay on Kurt, but once he got to the point of suggesting a relationship, he kinda got ahead of himself and leaped to the logical end of it.

He did try to honestly lay out the pitfalls that might be involved, and he is trying hard not to have any expectations, but his feelings are messing up his thinking. There are reasons for his behavior, though, and they should come out in time.

Kurt is a little taken aback, because on the one hand, he enjoys a joking camaraderie with Jerrin that has been missing since Evan left, and on the other, the physical relationship was coerced on both their parts, so why this?
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Letters from the Edge

Rogue didn’t think it was a good idea two nights ago, when Kurt had gone to that guy’s room. It still felt wrong that he was so close to Jerrin. What they went through was so horrible, though, she couldn’t deny they had issues to work through. Kurt came out only minutes later, but he wasn’t in a mood to talk, he just slipped into his own room for the night. She brought him some dinner, and his voice was so subdued when he thanked her.

The next day, after breakfast, they disappeared into the woods. When they came back for lunch, they both looked down in the mouth. Kurt went to the gym, and worked out so hard he could barely stand afterward. Jerrin spent most of the afternoon puttering behind an upright piano he found in a drawing room, tuning it, he said. She had to admit that it sounded better when he was done, and he started playing.

All the songs she recognized were sad ones. She sat and listened, and something that guy in New York said came back to her. Jerrin was “over there, playing every broken-hearted love song in the Beatles catalog.” And that thing he said to Kurt, “As you wish.” She and Kurt just watched that movie recently. Was Jerrin saying that he loved Kurt, a la Wesley? At dinner last night, Kurt looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. Did Kurt believe him?

Jerrin hardly spoke at dinner. He was unfailingly polite, but he didn’t volunteer any information about what he and Kurt talked about. “Kurt has what he needs now,” he said. “I trust him.”

“You, trust him? What does that have to do with it?” Rogue snapped.

He just shook his head, and looked at Kurt. “It's okay, Rogue,” Kurt said. “He’s only trying to protect me.” He looked pleadingly at her. “He told me everything. What happens next is up to me now.” Jerrin nodded. He looked calmer now, almost at peace, but Kurt sure didn’t.

So now it was Monday afternoon. Kurt was catching up on his makeup work from missing school the last month. While he was busy, Rogue sought out Jerrin. He was doing something like Tae Kwon Do by the shore. She hung her elbows on the gazebo railing, and watched. It looked like an elegant art.

“Good afternoon, Rogue.” He drew his routine to a close, and bowed to the lowering sun.

“Yo,” she said. “I wanted to ask you something.”

“Shoot.” He gave her a sideways look. “Not literally, please.”

Was that a joke? “I’ve been putting a few things together, and I don’t like where it’s going.” He watched her levelly, silver eyes giving nothing away. She didn’t want to play cards with him. “Do you think you’re in love with him?”

“I have lost my heart to him. And before you ask, yes, he knows.” He looked off, and then squinted suddenly. He muttered to himself, “What is this, Hogwarts?” A glint of light caught her eye, and a golden hawk swooped to land on the gazebo railing. “Dorado.” The bird bobbed his head and chirped. “You can wait. I’ll get back to you in a moment.”

“Are you crazy, talking to a bird?”

“That’s not a bird, it’s a spy from my mother. Look close, you’ll notice his feathers are made of brass.”

Damn, they were made of metal! “You’re weird, you know that? Do you think that’s any good for him?”

“That’s up to him now. I will abide by anything he decides.”

“Even if he just wants it to be over?” Please, let Kurt just get back to normal and tell this guy to get lost.

“Then I will leave without complaint or argument. I promised him that I would.”

“How do I know you’re telling the truth?” He must not care for Kurt that much, then.

He held out his hand to her. “I know what your power is. See for yourself.”

She narrowed her eyes, and took off her glove. “It won’t feel good, you know.”

“I’ll risk it,” he said, and she grabbed him. His silver mist sprung up as she touched him… and nothing happened. She looked at their hands touching; skin to mist covered skin, with unbelief. “Sorry, an automatic defensive measure,” he said. He frowned and the mist faded. Still her power waited, and then she had him. His eyes rolled up in his head, but he kept his feet, even if barely.

His empathy became hers, first. Then, with Jerrin’s own telepathy, she saw that he was still struggling to keep his mental and physical shields down for her. She saw how he’d been watching Kurt from across the estate, with the sense of perception he used for his transportation ability. The personal stuff followed the powers – memories of traversing starry space, living among gargantuan trees, riding on a dark horned horse, performing music, and Kurt…

His emotions crashed in, primarily love, and a longing ache for her brother. He had a grim determination that what was right for Kurt overcame any personal considerations, no matter the cost to himself. There was a sad certainty that he would be sent away, as well as a quiet hope to stay. She let him go as if burned by the intensity of his feelings.

He staggered back against the rail, and slid to the ground. The hawk chirped, and hopped over next to him. After some time of it preening his hair, he stirred. “Hey, ‘Rado. S’okay, I asked for it.” He stroked the bird’s head, as it made soft sounds to him. Rogue slumped on the steps, trying to shake off the lump of hot tears that seemed to be stuck in his throat, and now in hers.

He fumbled at a tube on Dorado’s leg, pulling out a crystal, and a small metal disk marked with a silver hawk. “I don’t have a letter to send home yet.” He looked at the disk. “Tell her I’ll think about it.” The bird called quietly, and flew off.

He drew a shaky breath, and ran his hand through his dark hair. “You weren’t lying, Rogue, that wasn’t any fun.”

Rogue looked up, tears streaming down her face and streaking her make up. “How can you stand it?”

“I have to,” he said, getting up and sitting next to her. “I have to know what he decides.”

Rogue suppressed a smirk as she chose to sit in the empty chair next to Jerrin, with Kurt on his other side. The other students stared at her as if she’d taken leave of her senses. “What did your letter from home say?” she said to him conversationally, as she passed him the butter.

“Just my mom wanting to know why I’m not keeping in touch.” He affected a ‘Jewish mother’ accent, “What is it with you? You never call, you never write…” He reached over and slapped Kurt on the back as the blue guy choked on his food. “Chew before you swallow, Kurt. It works better that way.”

Kurt goggled at him wide eyed, and then grinned. “Ja. I’ll try to remember that.”

Scott frowned. “You haven’t gotten any mail here.”

Jerrin rolled his eyes. “Mom doesn’t use the post office. She has other ways…”

Rogue snickered. “Can I?” He smiled and nodded. “You should have seen it guys, we’re talking out by the gazebo, and this hawk lands… you know, a bird? Only it’s made of brass, with this thing tied to its leg.”

“Dorado is an android Mom modeled after a pet. He’s more of a surveillance agent than anything else, but he’s a messenger when there’s a need for it.”

“You mother sent a spy that looks like a bird?” Logan didn’t sound happy at the idea.

“To check up on me. What can I say? I’m her youngest.”

“What were you two talking about,” Kurt leaned forward to ask her.

She waved her hand at the two of them. “You know, stuff.” Jerrin winced and rubbed his forehead, and Kurt narrowed his eyes. “Take it easy, will you?” Rogue said. “I just found out… that he’s a nice guy… uh, person.” She rubbed her hand through her glove.

“You used your power on him?” the professor asked her, severely.

“My idea, sir. I suggested it.” Jerrin lifted his hand, mist curling around it. “Almost didn’t work. I had to lower my defenses deliberately.”

“What else did you find out?” Kurt said.

“That he really, honestly cares about you.” She lifted her glass to Jerrin, surprising everyone, and he bowed his head graciously to her in return.

That night, Kurt sat on his bed, his tail twisting in knots, and a cell phone at his ear. “Hello, Amanda? I’m sorry it’s been so long since we talked last…”
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Braking Maneuvers

Rogue acted as an ally from then on. True to her nature, when she switched sides of an argument, she did so with both boots. For the rest of the week she defended him to the others, and tried to lighten the tension around him. For his own part, Jerrin felt almost like himself again, now that he didn’t feel so defensive, which had the result of making Kurt feel better, too.

Friday afternoon he was watching television, when a familiar feeling stirred inside, and he relaxed to it, at last. He looked through the mansion to see if Hank was in the lab. Seeing that he was, he swiped a last handful of popcorn, and got up, catching Kurt’s attention. In the hallway they ran into Rogue carrying sodas.

“I’m going through a Change, and Hank wanted to know if he could monitor what happens. There were quite a few things about the lab’s methodology that he objected to.”

“Do you want any company?” Kurt said. “You said that it helped last time.”

“If you like. But I’m not going to be naked this time.”

Rogue handed them each a can of pop, kept one, and dropped the rest off in the TV room. “Good, ‘cause I don’t need to see that. Can I crash the party?”

Jerrin cocked his head. “It won’t be any fun,” he warned.

She considered that. “But maybe I can give you my support, and help keep Kurt out of trouble.”

Jerrin smiled at her, detouring by his room and picking up a change of clothes. The three entered the lab, and Dr. McCoy looked up, surprised. “Yes?”

“It’s time,” Jerrin said. “They’re here for the company, such as it is.”

“Well, then, let’s get the first exam over with. If you two will wait here?”

Jerrin came out to the recovery room, wearing cotton pajamas and a festoon of wires. He settled on the bed, and the harness was plugged in. “Okay, he’s going to take continuous readings, and get a blood sample every half hour. Other that that, I was going to take a nap.”

“How long do you think it will take?” Kurt said.

“Probably a few hours for the first half. What you’ll be seeing is my male characteristics fading until I’m completely androgynous. I’ll get another exam, and then I’ll become increasingly feminine. Are you sure you want to stay?”

“Yes,” Kurt said. “I don’t want it to be mysterious to me. I want to understand.”

Rogue gave him a look, “And I’ll keep you company.”

They talked about TV shows, games, and other things, while the Doc came in like clockwork to get a new blood sample. With Jerrin was poised in the middle of the Change, Hank gave another examination, then helped Jerrin get plugged into the monitors again. “I’ll bring us all dinner before the next draw,” Hank said.

Jerrin can see his friend’s fascination at the alterations he underwent for the next few hours. The slender, sexless lines of his face and body softened and rounded. His… now her… chest grew, and her proportions realigned to the feminine.

“If you don’t stop staring at her chest, little brother, I’ll smack you silly.” Kurt jumped guiltily and blushed darkly.

Jerrin laughed, her voice softer sounding as she said, “As long as it’s him, I don’t mind.”

“Well, I mind. It’s rude, Kurt, and you know it.”

“Sorry,” he said to her. To Jerrin, he said, “Forgive me?”

“Of course.” She took his hand and held it, smiling at him.

He looked back into her eyes. “I called her.”

“And?” The tight control in his voice didn’t bode well.

“She was glad I was all right after the kidnapping. She said she missed me, and then she told me about this guy she met… To be honest, I don’t remember much after that. I did say that I was happy for her, and she wished me luck finding someone myself.”

Jerrin drew the velvety hand to her face, cradling it to her cheek. Kurt watched her with a little smile on his face, and Rogue looked away in discomfort. “I’m sorry, Kurt. I know how much that must hurt.” With her empathy, Jerrin could feel his pain, coiled around a sense of relief.

“You know that I already figured it wasn’t going to work with Amanda. But I guess I’m glad that she made the break first.”

“That’s because you’re a man of your word, and you made promises to her.” She brushed her lips against his hand and let him go.

Rogue snorted. “Are you two gonna get all mushy on me?”

“I suppose it feels easier to allow ourselves to express our feelings when I’m like this. It shouldn’t, though. I’m still Jerrin, no matter my gender, and I still care for you. Which is why this last week has been so hard.”

“I know.” Kurt rubbed his head tiredly. “It’s just so much to think about.”

“I’ve been thinking about that myself. It’s entirely my fault, but I let you think you’d have to adjust to everything all at once, and not even Dad did that. He had a year to consider a relationship, and after they were together, it was another year before their first mind-link. It was a year after that before he became a Qard. But there’s no need for things to go even that fast.”

“You think that three years is fast?” Kurt said. “I suppose it would be, to you.”

“Here’s my thought. We take it slow. You’re sixteen this year, close to seventeen?” Kurt nodded. “In about a year, I can give you a reversible longevity treatment that will synchronize our aging. That gives you time, too. Time to get to know me, and decide if I’m who you want to be with.” Kurt’s eyes widened. “Does this help you at all?”

“Of course it does! More and more this last week, I’ve thought of you… of knowing more about you, but all of this… baggage kept making me hesitate.”

“Hang on,” Rogue said. “Obviously I didn’t catch everything when I touched Jerrin, so you guys are talking over my head here.”

Hank came in to get his last blood sample. “Let me do this last exam,” Jerrin said. “Then we can take it to my room.” Rogue nodded, eyes flashing with impatience. Dr. McCoy looked curious as to what he’d overheard, but he didn’t ask questions. Jerrin switched into her change of clothes, and walked back to her room with them.

As soon as the door was closed, Kurt turned to his sister. “Do you know she proposed to me?”

Rogue blinked. “I know she wanted a relationship, but are you saying ‘proposed’, like…” She looked at Jerrin.

“… a ‘death-do-you-part’ marriage sort of thing,” Jerrin said. “It’s where my heart led me, but I screwed it up. I went so overboard about the problems that I forgot about the safeguards that have been developed.” She winced. “I was afraid. It’s so easy for a Telempath to be torn to shreds in a relationship gone bad, that I thought it better to err on the side of caution…”

Rogue cut her off. “So, what do you mean about your dad ‘becoming’ a Qard? The short version, please.”

Jerrin tucked her thumb into her palm, and raised her hand. “When my mom was born, there were five living Qard, all from the same immediate family. By bringing in outside bloodlines, in the form of humans and others who’ve become part of the Family, the race is thriving now. My dad, always the pioneer, was the first.” She looked at Kurt. “If he chooses me, that will be in Kurt’s future some day.”

“What’s this about longevity, then?” Rogue sat on a chair, and slouched down, her elbows on her legs, facing them.

Kurt answered her. “They age three times slower then we do. Next year we’ll both be partway through seventeen… but after that, my aging will quickly outstrip his… Hers.”

Rogue shook her head and looked out the window. She turned to Kurt. “And you’re actually considering this?”

“The ‘marriage’ part I’m so not ready for, but I do care for her, and we could see what happens…”

Rogue sighed. “Will you listen to your sister?” Jerrin winced again, and sat down on the bed.

“I’ll listen, Rogue,” Kurt said, but his tail twitched nervously back and forth.

“Don’t worry so much; you’re giving yourself an ulcer. If you’re still interested in a year, take the treatment.” She looked at Jerrin. “Reversible, you said?” Jerrin nodded. “Be sure, Kurt. Be real sure before you even think about calling it an engagement. Just… take it slow. You’ll do the right thing, I’m sure of it.”

Ja. I think you have the right idea. Thank you, sister.” He peered at her through his bangs. “Do you mind… do we have your blessing… if we try to work out a relationship?”

“Yeah, if you both mellow out about it. Take care, guys.” She brushed some of Kurt’s hair out of his eyes with her gloved hand, and left the room.

Jerrin hugged her pillow, leaning against her headboard. “I’m sorry I put so much pressure on you. I was an idiot.”

Kurt perched on the chair, tail curling around his feet. “There is no harm done after all. It made me think very carefully about the things you warned me about, and I realized that I don’t care about most of it.” He rose and sat next to her. “Stay, and see if we’re meant to be more than friends.” He pulled the pillow away, and hugged her.

Jerrin knew she was wildly projecting her joy, but she didn’t care. His silky hair brushed her neck as he rubbed his cheek against hers, and she sighed in delight. She turned to kiss him, but he drew away slightly. “Shh. Don’t rush, now.” He stroked her face. “Your emotions are overwhelming you, and you’re not thinking straight… and we both need to.”

She laughed a little. “Hormones suck. I’m always this way…” Well, on this end of the Change, anyway.

His lips quirked in a wicked smile, and he leaned back, holding her arms. “You may be an adult, but I am not. While I live under the Professor’s roof, I can’t do anything to get him in trouble. So as tempting as you are…” and his eyes left no doubt of his appreciation for her, “… I have to go now. Gute Nacht, Jerrin.” He rose and quietly closed the door behind him as he left.

Gute Nacht.” She whispered, and wrapped her arms around herself to try to keep the feel of him for a little longer. He wanted her to stay, in spite of her mistake. She was still smiling to herself as she fell asleep.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Since I still have a little time before I gotta go grocery shopping, I thought I ought to come in and comment on you fic here.

I think you OC, Jerrin, is absolutely cool. IMO, making up a character with a background with a different species is a hard thing to do, and does take alot of time and effort. I made up a story that deals with those type of characters, and it does take a long time, and not only does it have to make sense to the writer, but to the reader as well. And that is what I like about this story. Jerrin is a whole new character, with a whole new personality, and little by little you give more information that's not just about him, but his people also, and that's cool.

Rogue deciding to defend Jerrin was a great turn around, and her need to want to protect her brother strikes a chord...I don't get along w/ my sister, so it's nice to read about these things (man I'm pathetic sometimes).

The Jerrin/Kurt relationship is very interesting to me. I wonder exactly what kurt is thinking about it sometimes, like when Jerrin was going through the change. Did it srike him as odd? Cool? Or did it not botherhim so much considering his mother is a shapeshifter and does it all the time? I understand that Jerrin is not Mystique, that he changes inside and out, as well as hormonally, and...well nevermind me. Mystique has no menton here:oops and I'm letting my mind wander again, I need a leash.

All in all, I love this story so far, and am pleasantly awaiting the next installments.

yeah, I got problems. So will the guy who smashes soda cans on his forehead his whole life.
~EMO
one name: Bruce Campbell
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Thanks.... I'm really trying not to dump too much information at anyone one time. Found myself cutting a part of a chapter (3 ahead of this one) because it was a flat out lecture, and those are death to a story.

Like my note said, I've been developing this race for a couple of decades, and this is actually a fairly mild version...

I'll be cutting back to Kurt's point of view soon, I just wanted to get some things settled, and reveal more of Jerrin's motivations as one of my readers requested...

=)

The upcoming chapters won't be as fast as the first 15... I had been literally stewing over this story for months before I gave into to writing it... and it all came out in a gush... drafted in one week. Now I'm more feeling my way along, and while I know the overall plot of the story, working out just how to present it is taking some time to think about.
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Fitting In

Jerrin got up early to cook a hot breakfast for those who were attending Bayville High. There was plenty for everyone who followed their noses to the kitchen. It was well worth it for the payment she received of a grateful hug from Kurt. She felt him watch her as she served the hungry hoards, and she smiled at him when she ‘caught’ him at it.

“Well, at least that’s something useful you can do around here,” Logan said.

Kurt drew breath to say something, but her headshake stopped him. “Perhaps it’s time I told the Professor what I can do besides play music.” She raised an eyebrow at Kurt, and he smiled back.

“That should prove to be an interesting conversation,” Charles said, as he wheeled in. Jerrin made him a plate, and another for Ororo, who came in shortly after.

“Thanks, Jerrin.” Rogue raised a hand as she and Kitty got up to leave.

“You’re welcome.” Jerrin gave Kurt some extra bacon as he rose to get ready. He cleared his mouth long enough to kiss her on the cheek. Their gazes locked for a moment before he gave a suffering sigh and hurried after his classmates.

Hank waited until Scott and Jean herded the other students out of the room before speaking. “How long are you likely to be in this gender?”

“A little over a week, if things were normal.” She shrugged. “Until I Change again, is my best guess. Dr. McCoy, something else you might find interesting about me is my maturation rate. As a racial characteristic, I age at one-third of human normal.”

Hank’s eyebrows rose as took a bite of toast. “Do I take it that the age you’ve claimed is a maturation equivalent?” She nodded.

Logan scowled, and turned to glare at Jerrin. “So, you’re tell us you’re in your flamin’ fifties?”

She leaned against a counter. “I finished secondary school by the time I was ten, not being a particularly ambitious student at the time. Since then, I’ve achieved the equivalents of a Master’s in Electronics, and another in Engineering. I have two related Bachelor’s in Computers and Physics, and two others in Sociology and Administration. Lastly I’m considered skilled in the subjects of Music, Medicine, Combat, and Survival.”

“You didn’t answer my question,” he growled. “And what the Hell do you think you’re playing at with Kurt?”

“I didn’t need to answer that, as it’s a matter of simple multiplication. As for what I think I’m doing, I’m closer to him and the other kids than I am to you, who, as far as I can tell, vacillates between acting like a crotchety old fossil, or a five-year old throwing tantrums.” She smiled sweetly as he scraped his chair back and glared up at her.

“If you think I’m gonna take that, you little…” He ground to a halt as he looked at the other adults who seemed to be desperately trying not to smile, or more. He snarled silently, looking from face to face, and when he turned to Ororo, she burst into giggles. Frosty blue eyes tried to bore a hole into her, before his own lips started twitching. “Heh.”

“Is this where you wrap your hands around my throat and squeeze until my eyes bug out?” She smirked, and then turned more serious. “Mr. Logan, you’ve been around a lot of teenagers. One thing they have in common is a fervent desire to get out of the teen years as soon as possible. It’s going to take me nearly a decade to get there.”

“You might as well call me Logan. You’re older than anyone in the mansion except for me.”

“If you’ll permit me to, I would be glad to,” she said.

“First you insult me, then you’re all polite? What’s got into you, kid?”

She looked out the window, towards Bayville. “I guess I’ve found my confidence again.”

The Professor cleared his throat. “Speaking of which, Miss McLean…”

She frowned. “Jerrin. Gendered titles can be… offensive.”

“Very well. There is another matter I’d like to discuss, though this is perhaps not the best place to do so.”

“Your office, sir, in a few minutes?” The Professor nodded. “I’ll go to my room and get some paperwork you might be interested in. I’ll meet you there.”

A few minutes later, Jerrin arrived with a small case. She pulled out some papers and a few electronic wires. “Can I use your computer, sir? I can put my real education records on a DVD for you, instead of this stuff that Mom forged for the local authorities. I have them also, for what they’re worth, including my emancipation papers.”

The professor turned his computer for better access, and gave Jerrin a blank recordable DVD. She brought out a sheet of flimsy-seeming translucent material that reflected light in billions of tiny hexes. Taking a cable that had a USB connector on one end, and a clamp on the other, she mated the two devices. A stroke over the sheet brought up a holographic keyboard, which she used to initialize the data burn. She typed in a command, and when a tone sounded, she spoke in the air. “Hello, Adam. This local network is authorized.”

“You sure?” said a male voice with a broad New York accent. “They’ve been baitin’ the Dragon.”

“First to find me, and then to help me. I’m sure, Adam.” She continued to type, the surface of the sheet acting as a monitor, displaying text and images on its surface, and projecting holographic sub-windows into the air that she positioned to her liking with a push of her fingers. She was working quickly, but she could feel the Professor’s interest in her computer equipment.

“It’s your funeral,” said the voice. But hey, tell that Kitty-Cat she’s one mean hacker. She gave me a real workout.”

“I will. You killed my old primary account?”

“’Course. New Primary is at the standard level. Oh, and your disc is written.” The DVD drive opened. Professor Xavier picked up the burned disc and labelled it.

“Thanks, Adam. Bye.” She unclipped the sheet and rolled it up like a scroll, putting it in a tube. “Adam is an artificial intelligence planted in the Internet to watch after my interests,” she told the Professor. “I just told him to immunize the Institute’s computers from the effect of the worm.” She turned his computer back around. “I can be an asset to you, sir. I’d like to stay.”

“Does this have to do with what’s between you and Kurt?”

Jerrin felt herself blushing. “We resolved some things last night. He asked me to stay, but I won’t assume that it will be here.”

“Here would undoubtedly be best. I’ve noticed that you’ve been trying to keep the disruptions your presence causes down to a minimum. But about you and Kurt…”

“Yes, sir?” She was nervous. She couldn’t help it. Her only consolation was that he seemed uncomfortable as well.

“You realize that as his guardian I have certain responsibilities towards him. He may be mature beyond his years, especially after the recent distasteful assault, but he’s legally a minor.”

“I know. Though I wasn’t really thinking about that, last night.” His eyebrows rose in surprise. “Thankfully, Kurt was. We do understand your position.”

“Having said that, I realize that if two teleporters are determined, there is little I can do to prevent them from doing what they want.” He paused and cleared his throat. “Contraceptive measures might be in order.”

She shook her head. “Not needed. We may be of legal age at fifteen, but Qards simply aren’t reproductively fertile until we’re thirty, maturation.” She watched as shock was replaced by understanding in his eyes. “Yeah, that’s why they’re willing to cut us loose at fifteen…” she gave a crooked smile. “...Because no matter how profoundly stupid we might be, we’ve got a good forty-five calendar years before unintended consequences are even possible. Generally, it’s enough time for even one of us to grow up.”

Xavier considered her for a moment. “I would like to be able to trust you, Jerrin, but you’re a mystery to me, and I’m not used to that. Will you consent to a mental scan?”

“I have little more to hide from you, Professor.” Jerrin walled off two delicate memories, and opened her mind. He noticed the blocks, but ignored them at first. He swept a thorough scan through her memories, and concern showed on his face at the tenor of her recent interactions with Kurt, which was replaced by pride at the wisdom and discretion that his students showed.

Turning to the mental blocks, he examined them. The first he found near the Qard concept of Initiation, but it shielded only the actually experience. Satisfied that it contained an irrelevant and private memory, he investigated the other. Finding that if contained large portions of her time with the drugged Kurt, he spoke in her mind. “I’m sorry, and I realize this is difficult, but what you are hiding concerns Kurt, and I need to see it.” She flushed darkly, but lowered the block.

She was studying the carpet when he finally left her mind, and she felt her shields slamming shut. In a quiet voice, she spoke. “He doesn’t remember that, I think. I’m still coping with the consequences... I thought I had my gender issues worked out years ago… I’m straightforward, and primarily masculine. But this… the way I responded to him… to his domination.” She shrugged. “I didn’t even know I was a submissive. It’s made me question all of my assumptions about myself.”

“Like what?” he said gently.

She sighed, and looked up, finally. “Like, whether my primary gender should really be masculine. Or am I just a submissive, but oddly enough, only with him.” She hung her head again, dark hair curtaining her face. “Try as I might, I can’t picture myself like that with anyone else.”

He came out from behind his desk, and brought his wheelchair next to her. “I think I can help you, if you will allow me. Technically, you may be older than I, but I am more experienced in the workings of the mind, even yours.” He covered her hand with his as it rested on her leg, and she felt his confidence and compassion. Lifting her eyes, she saw the warm blue of his were quietly urging her to accept.

“Okay, Professor.” She took a breath, and asked him formally. “Will you counsel me?”
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Nice update! Gotta say, Jerrin is still a bit too 'perfect', but I'm enjoying seeing how this is playing out none the less. It's always the first thread I check when I have a chance to get on the site.
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Urm. Any suggestions how I can fix that? I'm still working on this story, editing and filling in where it seems to be almost straight dialogue. Correcting awkward phrasing... sometimes I have to say it wrong before I can say it right...

I'm trying to add depth all around, and make Jerrin more real. I'm planning on putting it on AFF when I'm done fussing with it. One of the things I've done is combine chapters in pairs so that each is around 2-2.5k, instead of .9 or 1k.