Shankjam's Stories (Updated 6/1 Grief Completed)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

A few important fact to keep in mind before reading on.

1) This..arc i guess you would call it, is actually one of the last in the series of them sloshing around in my head. So there will be a lot of things taken for granted that might not make sense at first.

2) There isn't a whole lot of Kurt in the first chapter, but trust me, there is in the ones that follow!

3) I purposefully wrote the first chapter in such a way as not to reveal the specific powers of the main character Jared. So read on to Chapter 2!

4) And yes, despite how silly I feel for doing it, Jared is I, the author.
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Chapter 1: Pushed Around

Post by shankjam »

Jared gazed hopelessly at his reflection in a full-length mirror, tugging at his new ‘uniform’ in a futile attempt to get comfortable. After a few more half-hearted tugs, he noticed the reflection of his fuzzy friend behind him, attempting to stifle a laugh behind a three-fingered hand. Jared lashed his tail about in frustration, “I give up! Not only is this thing uncomfortable but it…”

“Makes you look totally ridiculous?” offered Kurt.

Jared glared at the reflection of his friend, who was no longer attempting to stifle his laughter. “That’s it! It’s coming off!”

Kurt continued to laugh, hopping out of the way as a piece of the leather uniform flew past him. “You know, Scott will be sorely put out when you don’t show up in uniform,” chortled Kurt as he continued to dodge articles of clothing obviously aimed in his direction.

“Yeah, well Scott can just kiss my…” retorted Jared, the rest muffled as he pulled a long sleeved shirt over his head. “You know, you could ditch yours as well. It’s not like they can just leave us behind for not being in uniform. We’re both too important in this battle against Apocalypse,” continued Jared, putting on his usual baggy cargo pants.

Kurt gazed thoughtfully for a moment at his reflection in the mirror before replying, “No, I think I look quite good actually, it complements the blue quite nicely. And you should really hurry up, or else we’ll have Jean’s angry thoughts in our heads.”

Rolling his eyes, Jared sat down and began to put on a pair of old sneakers, “Your head you mean. I can keep her out, remember?”

Heaving a tragic sigh, Kurt replied, “Yes that’s right, and I don’t think she likes it very much…” Kurt suddenly grimaced and gingerly massaged his temple, “Speak of the devil…”

“Okay! Okay! Lets go,” said Jared as he quickly pulled on his favorite leather jacket.

“This should be an entertaining trip,” quipped Kurt as he and Jared disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

A muffled bamf and the smell of sulfur heralded the arrival of Kurt and Jared in the back of the X-Jet, drawing the glances of the rest of the occupants, save Jean’s in the pilot’s seat. “It’s about time, what took…”

“Why aren’t you wearing your uniform!” interrupted Scott, turning towards Jared with what would have been a most unsettling stare had it not been hidden behind his visor.

Before Jared could respond, Kurt put on a tragic face and somberly intoned, “Ah Scott, while Jared did indeed don his official X-men outfit, he quickly concluded it was entirely unsuitable and tossed it aside! I on the other hand find mine to be….”

“What do you mean unsuitable?!” interrupted Scott yet again, drawing an angry frown from Kurt. Bobby and Rogue snickered as Kurt tried to pick up where he left off, only to be interrupted again, this time by Logan.

“Why’s the squirt getting away with not wearing the uniform? I never wanted to wear this thing!”

-Enough!- Jean’s thought cut through their minds, cutting short the argument. “We don’t have time for this, we’re leaving.” With that, Jean piloted the X-Jet out of the hanger and into the sky, leaving Jared and Kurt scrambling for their seats. “If you dislike the outfit so much Logan, feel free to fight in your skivvies.” Jean accompanied her statement with a mental image of the savage Wolverine fighting in nothing except a pair of pink polka-dot boxers.

Logan slouched into his seat as the jet erupted with laughter. However, the laughter soon died out and turned to silence as the seriousness of the battle with Apocalypse that lay ahead of them weighed upon their minds. A short time later Logan abruptly sat up in his seat, “Jean, stop here. This is as close as we can get in the X-Jet.” With a curt nod, Jean landed the jet and lowered the hatch. Faces pale, the X-men filed out into what would soon become a battlefield.

As Scott walked a short distance from the group, communicator in hand, Logan spoke up. “It was Magneto.” Logan fingered a thin collar around his neck, “This doodad seems to be working. I could feel him trying to manipulate my adamantium skeleton and failing.”

Jean let out a small sigh of relief, “Good, but you should still keep your distance from him during the fight. It may not be enough if you get too close.”

A moment later Scott returned to the group, “Jean, everyone else is in position. We’re ready when you are.” Nodding, Jean closed her eyes and sent her thoughts questing for the minds of their allies. Linking their thoughts together, they hoped not only to coordinate their fight, but also to hinder the mental attacks of Professor X, now under the control of Apocalypse as one of his Four Horsemen.

Feeling Jean’s mind reach out to his, Jared relaxed his guard, allowing her to draw him in. At first, there was only fear felt from the link to the others. But as more were drawn in, it was slowly replaced by a fierce determination. After a few minutes, Jean’s thought echoed through the link, -Done-.

Jared opened his eyes to find Jean looking at him, silent and waiting. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out, “I’m ready.”

Jean closed her eyes and sent out a single thought, -Now-.

For several moments there was little sound as all involved moved in. Seconds later the air was filled with the sound of fighting as the first line of defense, mutants whom had willing joined with Apocalypse, was reached. Jared deftly avoided them and continued on to his target, visible now, levitating above the ground. As he drew closer, a surge of elation came across the link. Kurt and Rogue had been successful! They had succeeded in neutralizing the first of the Four Horsemen, Mystique. Buoyed by the success, Jared raced ahead ignoring an attempt by Xavier to hammer at his mind, and engaged Apocalypse.

At first, their plan seemed to be working. Jared forced Apocalypse to focus on him, while the rest attempted to overcome the remaining three Horsemen. When the second of the Horsemen, Storm, was finally knocked out a wave of renewed hope spread through the mutants. Yet, it had taken longer then originally thought to overcome Storm, and the remaining Horseman, Xavier and Magneto, where steadily wearing them down.

Jared too was beginning to feel the strain. Apocalypse’ ability to switch between any number of mutant abilities he had copied over the years was becoming too much to handle. Seeing Jared begin to tire, Apocalypse began to divide his attention, attempting to finish off others when their defenses dropped.

For a third time, Jared was able to stop an attack that would have killed one of his friends. As Bobby scrambled away to regroup with the others, Jared noticed the first sign of emotion from Apocalypse as anger momentarily twisted his face.

“Good,” thought Jared, “Get angry, make mistakes.” Jared let a smug smile cross his face, hoping to anger Apocalypse further. Suddenly Apocalypse was on him grabbing him by the arm, closing the distance between them in an instant. Realizing he was now past Apocalypse’ defenses, Jared prepared to deal the first real blow against their enemy, though it might cost him dearly. But, before he could attack, Apocalypse lightly pushed Jared away. Though there was little force behind the shove, an intense wave of disorientation swept over Jared. Squeezing his eyes shut, Jared attempted to regain his senses as he felt his mind reeling.

Almost as quickly as it had come, the disorientation passed. Still fighting to regain his senses, Jared braced for an attack that never came. As his vision returned, Jared looked around in disbelief at unfamiliar surroundings. He was standing in some kind of lab, a sinister looking chair at its center. No battlefield, no sound of fighting, no Apocalypse. A moment later Jared realized he could no longer feel the presence of his friends, the link with them severed. Alone, lost, and unable to help his friends who were fighting for their lives, Jared began to despair.
malicous_monk_muppet
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by malicous_monk_muppet »

Well done! I loved the first part, always did feel that those x-men costumes were a bit like bdsm getups. Now for the gripes: The pacing was a little fast (which may or may not be what you want, but if it's an arc, prolly not); Not knowing anything about Jared is bothersome to the reader, especially since he is powerful enough to go toe to toe with Apoc (for a bit anyway); lastly it's sometimes in bad taste to add a disclaimer or explanation, the fic should be able to say all you need or it needs some revision. Don't let all my gripes bother you though, I'm a very picky person. I guess my advice would be to keep writing until you finish. Then clean it up and give it a good look over and prolly a few drafts.

Oh also, don't worry about not knowing things sometimes it's better to just make up what you don't know. If you would rather know whats up than research is usually a good idea.
Yes, i know malicious is spelled with another I. It is my protest agaisn't my smarter half. Him with all his knowing and stuff. Wow...shiny....
StarLightCrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by StarLightCrawler »

This is good so far. I like the fact of not knowing much about Jared. Though explaining how he gothe tail at some point in this would help. This is the first intro to him here.
As for not knowing stuff well you can either find out about it by asking or looking it up or just say it is your own little X-Univers and go with what ever your realy like.

I realy like the way you treated the uniforms. I mean i never realy like any of them.
Also i like how it goes fast.
Sorry for any miss typing or miss spelling.
If (sp) is by the word that means i don't know how to spell it.
Image :respectnc
My Kurt Site. Life
De kant spel fore beenz klub member# 3
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

Thanks for the feedback so far. The first chapter, especially the last section needed to be relatively fast paced as I had no desire to do a blow by blow battle with so many mutants involved. The pace of future chapters wont be so fast as ill only be focusing on one, soon to be two, charaters.

After thinking about it, not knowing at least some of Jared's background is probably a bit more then just annoying, so heres a barebones synopsis as who knows if ill ever get to writing more then this one arc.

Jared's powers manifested extremely late as those things go, during his early 20's. There was a bit of a scuffle as both the X-men and Magneto tried to recruit him. Obviously being a good guy he ended up with the X-men.

Soon after moving to the mansion(not yet becoming an offical X-men), Jared had occasion to really piss off a bad guy. Who took his revenge by corrupting Jared's x-gene. Causing Jared to change into looking more like Kurt the more he used his abilities. Obviously the bad guy was pretty stupid if he thought that was a bad thing! Anyways, they eventually find a way to undo it...mostly. Leaving Jared with a tail.

That, baring stuff leading up to Apocalypse' rise to power, pretty much sums up a very long story leading up to 'A Most Important Mission'.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I hope to read more of this fic. It is very interesting, good job so far!
one name: Bruce Campbell
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

I had hoped to get all of Chapter 2 done and posted tonight, but it turns out to be a much longer chapter then I thought, so Im gonna post what I've got so far.

One note, italized words are used to represent speaking in German. I didnt see any point in actually trying to write the actual German as it would only detract from the Reader understanding whats going on.
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Chapter 2: Flight Part 1

Post by shankjam »

Crouching down and resting his head on his balled up fists, Jared tried to gather his thoughts and fight against the panic that was worming into his mind. “I’m all alone,” he thought. He hated to be alone. It hadn’t always been like this for him though. Before discovering his abilities and moving to the mansion, he had actually spent most of his time by himself, and enjoyed it. Yet now he found being alone so…unsettling. He didn’t know the why of it, but Jared knew he didn’t like feeling that way.

As Jared attempted to calm himself, his tail wrapped itself around one leg only to loosen and wrap around the other. Jared called it a nervous habit, but to his close friends it was a sure sign of fear, though they saw it rarely. After a few minutes his tail stilled and Jared stood up while letting out a calming breath. “First things first, time to find the exit.” With that Jared walked out of the lab into the hallway beyond. Unnoticed, a red light near the base of the door began to blink.

Jared made a sound of annoyance as he looked at the four corridors leading off into the building, no exit signs in sight. After a few fruitless moments of peering down each of the corridors, Jared wryly shook his head and headed down the one to his left.

The place was eerily silent at first and had a distinctly sinister feel to it. Jared quickly became more uncomfortable from being in the place then being alone, and began to consider making his own exit. As he turned a corner into a side corridor, Jared found himself facing a pair of armed men in artic camouflage. “There he is!” shouted one of them, the pair of them turning to point their guns at Jared.

Having had quite enough of this place, Jared lifted his hands towards the men and unleashed a short burst of energy towards each. The guards attempted to get out of the way, one diving back into the corridor he had come from. The second one was too slow, taking the yellowish-white burst of energy square in the chest. The guard was knocked back into the wall behind him and fell into a heap on the floor.

By now, Jared could hear the stomping of booted feet as the guard he had missed yelled, “It’s a mutie! Watch yourselves!” Retreating back into the main corridor, Jared could also hear more soldiers coming from the direction of the lab he had originally found himself in.

“Tch! Great,” said Jared in a disgusted voice. Backing down the only corridor left to him, a small ball of energy appeared above the palm of his hand. The ball grew larger as Jared poured more energy into it before shooting it towards the intersection. It hit the ceiling of the corridor with explosive force, collapsing the ceiling and walls around it into a pile of rubble.

Turning around, Jared began running down the corridor. All too soon however the distant sound of his pursuers returned, now both ahead of him and behind. Needing to get out of the hallway, Jared turned to a door only to find it locked. Taking a closer look, he noticed a barred opening near the top of the door and peered inside.

Movement in the shadows of the far corner attracted Jared’s attention, where a shadowy shape shifted about, a pair of glowing yellowish eyes regarding him warily. For some reason the eyes looked very familiar to Jared, and as he watched he caught sight of what looked to be a barbed tail flickering back and forth. “Kurt?!” Jared exclaimed. The form hiding in the shadows perked up, lifting its head. “Kurt!” Jared called again.

The shadowy form drew back slightly, “Who are you? How do you know my name?”

While he had only picked up a few phrases from his furry friend, Jared knew enough to recognize the language as German. Ignoring for now the questions of what Kurt was doing here, and why he was talking to him in German, Jared called out, “Stand back! I’m going to blast the door open!” Stepping back from the door, Jared placed his palms to either side of his body, parallel to the door. Gathering his energy, Jared suddenly pushed his hands forward, releasing the energy as he came in contact with the door.

The figure in the cell looked fearfully up at the face beyond his cell door, unable to understand what he was shouting. He also didn’t understand how that person knew his name; none of the people keeping him here had ever bothered to ask. Suddenly there was a deafening crash as the cell door was blown off its hinges and slammed into the cell wall. Kurt pushed himself deeper into the corner of his cell and cried out, “Please, don’t hurt me!” as Jared walked through the now empty doorway.

“Kurt! Come on, lets…” Jared’s words trailed off as he looked closer at the form cowering away from him in the corner. He was young, no more then twelve years old, and was wearing nothing but a pair of brown pants. Instead of the deep blue color Jared had expected, the thick fur coving the boy was a charcoal black. “But the tail, the hands, even his face…that’s Kurt!” thought Jared, “What…where the hell did Apocalypse send me?!”

Jared crouched down and called out Kurt’s name again in a pleading voice. Looking up, Kurt saw only confusion and concern in Jared’s face, not the disgust and loathing he had grown accustomed to here. At the sound of his pursuers suddenly getting louder, Jared spun around to face the door, his tail wrapping around one leg then the other. Kurt gave a start at the sight of Jared’s tail. It was exactly like his except Jared’s was covered with a pale white fur as opposed to his dusky black. “Who…are you?” Kurt said softly, watching the white tail flick back and forth.

Jared turned to face Kurt once again, not understanding the words but noticing the change in tone. Holding his hand out towards Kurt, Jared spoke one of the few German words he knew, “Friend.” Hesitating for a moment at first, Kurt reached out to take the hand offered to him. A sigh of relief escaped Jared has he firmly gripped Kurt’s hand, pull him up and out of the corner.

------------
Ill try and finish this chapter and have the rest up by tomorrow night! Theres still much to be revealed concerning Jareds powers:P
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

awww *huggles Ultimate Kurt* me wants more o' diss fic right here
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

Working on it as quickly as I can stand! I've read too many fanfic involving ultimate kurt where things just keep getting worse for the poor guy! So i decided to write one where things go his way for a change!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Damn!!! Why must everyone write better than me? I guess it is a good thing I don't post my stories, I usually don't finish them anyway.
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Chapter 2: Flight Part 2

Post by shankjam »

Jared and Kurt stopped short as they entered the hall, confronted by a giant of a man a short distance down the corridor. “That’s as far as you go, boy.” To either side of the man stood a guard, their tranquilizer guns trained on the two would be escapers.

Jared put his arms protectively around Kurt’s neck, pulling him close. “Get out of my way, we’re leaving.”

The large man let out a harsh chuckle, “I’m afraid I can’t allow that. See, we have a vested interest in that little demon there. And after seeing what you’re capable of…” he continued, a smug smile crossing his lips, “Well, we’ve got big plans for you boy, big plans.”

Jared took a step forward pushing Kurt behind him, one hand on Kurt’s back holding him close, the other clenched into a fist. “Last chance. Get out of my way.” As Jared stared down the large man ahead of him, Kurt heard rustling behind him and jerked around. Jared glanced back to see two more guards down the hall, taking aim. “Tch. So that’s your answer is it?” Jared wrapped his tail around Kurt’s middle, dropping his arm to the side and clenched his other fist.

The leader merely sneered and shouted, “Fire!” Kurt clutched at the legs of Jared’s pants preparing to bamf them away. But before the leader had even finished shouting his order, Kurt gasped in amazement as a prolonged blast of golden white light that nearly filled the corridor shoot down the hallway from the palm of his rescuer’s hand. The light vaporized the tranquilizer darts that had been fired before slamming into the guards. Kurt turned and looked down the other end of the hallway to find the two guards sprawled on the ground, the big man hold his head in pain and struggling to stand.

Having taken care of the guards, Jared turned in a fluid motion towards the wall opposite the cell, bringing the bases of his palms together in front of him. Jared moved a foot back as if to brace himself, as a pinpoint of light began to pulse brighter and brighter between his cupped hands. A moment later, a tremendous burst of energy exploded from Jared’s hands, blasting a huge hole in the wall. Kurt lifted his arm up over his eyes as a fierce backlash of air assaulted them, pushing Jared’s jacket back to flap behind him. Jared maintained the blast, as the sound of wall after wall being destroyed resounded through the building.

Jared ended the blast moments later as the sounds of walls being destroyed stopped, panting slightly from the effort. Giving the still gawking Kurt a tug before unwrapping his tail from around his middle, Jared ran through the hole in the wall as Kurt scrambled after him on all fours. Behind them they heard a coarse shout, “He’s ours! No matter where you go, he’s ours!”

Jared and Kurt ran through the newly created hallway, passing through labs, dormitories and various others without a second look. Suddenly, the ceiling ahead of them began to collapse, forcing Jared to come to an abrupt stop. From behind, Kurt wrapped his arms around Jared as a swirling gold smoke surrounded them, following by a muffled bamf. As they appeared on the far side of the collapsing ceiling, Kurt was caught off guard as Jared, instead of expressing surprise or fear, simply smiled at him and said, “Thanks.”

They continued running and soon saw the waning daylight of evening through an opening ahead. As they reached the open air, they came to a sudden stop at the edge of a cliff. Spread all about them below were lightly wooded hills, the trees and ground heavy with fresh snow. Turning to Kurt, Jared raised his eyebrow expectedly. After a moments confusion, Kurt grinned sheepishly and wrapped his arms around Jared again, teleporting them to the ground below.

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

WEEEEEEEE!!! I like that update.:D Can't wait till the next one, tis getting very interrestin'!:)
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

Wont be long, Im finishing up Chapter 2 as we speak. Er, as we post.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Yay! This is why I love Nightscrawlers so much, there are always good stories to read.
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Chapter 2: Flight Part 3

Post by shankjam »

As they appeared on the ground below the cliff, Kurt started to let his arms drop from around Jared only to be stopped by a hand on his arm. Jared knew they had to get away as quickly as possible, and the easiest method was for Kurt to port them. Jared pointed to a distant hill and looked back at Kurt, hoping he would understand. Kurt nodded and once again they disappeared in swirl of brimstone.

Surveying their surroundings from their new vantage point, Jared directed Kurt’s attention to another distant hill off to the left. When they appeared on the second hill a moment later, Jared felt Kurt stagger slightly behind him. Fighting his own dizziness, Jared pointed to a third hill, “Just one more…”

Kurt released Jared as the arrived at the third hill, plopping down into the snow, his breath coming in labored gasps. Jared slumped against a nearby tree, scrunching his eyes closed as his senses reeled.

As they sat there recovering, Kurt took the opportunity to study the man who had rescued him. He looked a good deal older then himself, probably in his mid 20’s Kurt guessed. Jared was also on the small side, only a head taller then him and kind of scrawny. And then there was his tail, blending in almost completely as it shifted about in the snow. Kurt couldn’t quite figure him out, silently marveling at how Jared had not hesitated, nor shown any fear or repulsion the times they had come into contact with each other. Once again, though so softly that Jared couldn’t hear, Kurt asked, “Who…are you?”

A moment later, Kurt’s sensitive ears caught the sound of something approaching. He yelled out a warning as a flying mechanical monstrosity suddenly flew into the sky above them. Jared dived out of the way as an energy beam slammed into the ground, relieved as he heard the characteristic bamf of Kurt porting to safety. A scowl twisted Jared’s face as he looked up at their attacker, “Great…a Sentinel.” The Sentinel turned towards Jared and fired another beam as he brought his hands together and countered with his own. For a few moments a shoving match ensured between the two streams of energy before Jared overpowered it and blasted a hole through the Sentinel.

No sooner had the first been destroyed than three more arrived, two of which were similar to the original one while the third looked much bigger and downright meaner. The two smaller sentinels began to fire on Jared, while the larger one chased down Kurt who had still not recovered fully from the recent teleportings. Jared dodged behind trees and boulders as the two sentinels dogged his trail with beams. He suddenly jerked to a stop as he heard a cry of pain from Kurt a short distance away. The two sentinels used the momentary distraction to fire their beams, Jared barely reacting quickly enough to counter with two of his own. Struggling to hold off the attacks, Jared watched as the large sentinel began to fly back towards the facility, a limp form in its clutches.

Anger filled Jared as he watch the young Kurt being taken back to that horrible place. Jared gritted his teeth and with a fierce yell, poured more of his energy in his attack, overpowering the sentinels and sending them crashing to the ground. Anger continued to twist Jared’s face as he ran after the remaining sentinel. Upon reaching the crest of the hill Jared jumped into the air. At the apex of his leap, a pair of large feathered wings burst from Jared’s back through two inconspicuous slits in his jacket.

Jared flew after the retreating sentinel, firing blasts of energy in the hopes of attracting its attention. Suddenly the sentinel turned and a powerful blast slammed into the arm clutching Kurt, sending him plummeting towards the ground. Jared dived after him, whipping his tail out and around Kurt’s waist. Jared cried out in pain as the sudden weight jerked at his tail, barely able to avoid a blast from the sentinel above. Bringing his hands together once again, Jared fired off a blast as the large sentinel fired a second time. The beams clashed between them as Jared struggled just to hold it back.

Kurt came to his senses to find himself suspended in mid-air from his rescuer’s tail. Looking up, Kurt gasped in amazement at the wings sprouting from Jared’s back. They were the same pure white of his tail, sending gusts of the crisp winter air across Kurt’s skin as they flapped gracefully up and down. In a reverent tone, Kurt said, “An angel!”

Hearing something beneath him, Jared glanced down to see Kurt staring up at him with an awestruck look on his face. Relief flooded Jared upon seeing that the young Kurt was okay. Turning back to his struggle with the sentinel, calmness filled Jared’s face. Pouring in everything he had left, the energy emanating from Jared’s hands turned a brilliant white and nearly tripled in size. The light tore through the opposing beam and engulfed the sentinel completely.

As Jared let his arms fall weakly to his sides, the few bits that were left of the sentinel fell to the ground below. Panting heavily, Jared struggled to keep his wings beatings as he attempted to recover. After a few moments, Jared laboriously lifted the still awestruck Kurt up and between his wings, pulling Kurt’s arms up over his shoulders. As he released his tail from around Kurt, letting it fall limply down, Jared began the long journey of getting his new friend to safety.

--------------------------
Thats the end of Chapter 2! And just so theres no confusion, Jared is not like Archangel where he just keeps his wings hidden. He can...manifest them at will, I guess thats what you would call it.

Now...give me feedback! :P
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

Chapter 3: Going Home? will be coming soon! I hope to have it written and posted in a few days, so stay tuned!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

An angel? Dang Jared is loaded isn't he? I like this fic. I look forward to the next installment!
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

LOL, no he's far from an angel. Though I'm sure he'd look like one to a young boy raised in a superstitious society, heh. I think before I write the next chapter, Ill do a little 'scientific' background to his powers and just what exactly I see them as being.
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The 'science' behind Jared's Powers

Post by shankjam »

Although at first Jared did not know what exactly the power he harnessed was or where it came from, he eventually comes to believe it to be ki, or chi.

In eastern cultures, it is believed that an energy force, called chi, flows through all things. Jared believes that his mutation allows him to tap into and manipulate this chi energy that is inside him.

As Jared is a very intelligent person, while being relatively weak physically, the majority of his abilities comes from harnessing his chi with his mind. This entails the various energy blasts and beam he can shoot with his hands.

Jared can control both the size and shape of his blasts, as well as the density of the chi they contain. Having no desire to actually kill anyone, Jared using low density attacks against others. While against inanimate objects or mechanical opponents, Jared can increase the density for devestating effects.

In addition to these blasts, Jared also has a limited ability to use his chi as a shield. His timing when using it this way must be good, as in actuality he is still releasing his energy in a burst that he cannot maintain for more then a few seconds.

Because he is physically weak, Jared's ability to harness his chi using his body is limited. The wings that Jared can cause to spring from his back is the main example of what he can do by harnessing chi with his body.

While the wings have the look and feel of say a birds wings, they are in actuality a physical manifistation of his chi. When he no longer desires the wings, or when he somehow loses control over his chi, the wings appear to burst apart and the feathers disappear in flashes of light, the chi returning to his body.

Another, more limited method that Jared can harness chi with his body allows him to withstand extreme forces to his body, be it crashing into a wall or being punched. By pushing chi to the surface of his body, he can temporarily absorb extreme physical forces. Doing this however quickly fatigues him and drains a great deal of his chi, depending on the strength of the force.

All of Jared's abilities, save the using of his wings, drain his chi. He has a limited pool from which to draw, though as he matures and continues to use his abilities, the pool rapidly grows larger. His chi recovers naturally over time with rest, quicker if Jared focus' his mind in a sort of meditation, drawing in chi from outside of him.

These are just the abilities that Jared is aware of himself. He continues to find new ways of harnessing his chi as his control over it grows stronger.
StarLightCrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by StarLightCrawler »

oh so that his his power. I never though of something like that in a mutation before. That is rather quit clever(sp).
I realy like how the story is comeing a long.
Reading this almost want me to post a fic i wrote. Though do to spelling problems and gramer I feel stupid posting it.
Any way I hope you post more soon.
Sorry for any miss typing or miss spelling.
If (sp) is by the word that means i don't know how to spell it.
Image :respectnc
My Kurt Site. Life
De kant spel fore beenz klub member# 3
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I feel the same way about my stories, SLC. Okay, not I get Jared. That is a purty darn cool mutation if ya ask me.
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by shankjam »

Dont let grammer or spelling prevent you from posting a story. Writing it in a wordprocessor like Word can help a lot, it catches a lot of the grammer and spelling mistakes. Everytime I read through what I've written, and i do a couple times a day, i continue to find mistakes that I missed catching before. Though I've been lax in updating my postings here to correct them!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Well most of my stories suck or are unfinished anyway 'cause I lose interest. Plus, recently I have been lacking imagination and am in need of inspiration.*Hey! That rhymes!:D*
shankjam
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Chapter 3: Going Home? Part 1

Post by shankjam »

Jared struggled to get them as far as he could, but after only a few minutes he felt himself begin to falter and descended towards a small clearing. As they reached the ground, Kurt let himself slide off of Jared’s back. Jared stumbled forward onto his hands and knees, his wings appearing to silently explode in a burst of feathers. Kurt watched in horror as the feathers drifted to the ground only to disappear. He ran to Jared’s side and gripped his shoulder exclaiming, “Are you all right? What happened to your wings?!”

Hearing Kurt’s panicked tone and seeing the concern in his face, Jared smiled reassuringly and patted Kurt’s hand, “I’m okay, just a little…worn out.” Jared pushed himself into a sitting position, closing his eyes and focusing his thoughts. For the next few minutes Kurt silently watched Jared, as his breathing calmed and became more regular, the weariness slowly draining from his face. “He’s so strong…” Kurt mused silently, “Had those people caught him too, but couldn’t contain him? Or had he come to rescue me? I…I don’t even know his name!”

Kurt hesitantly approached and squatted down in front of Jared, who opened his eyes and regarded him calmly. Kurt pointed to himself and said, “Kurt.” He then pointed to Jared and cocked his head to the side questioningly.

Smiling, Jared replied, “Jared,” and took hold of Kurt’s still extended hand and gave it a firm shake. “Hello, Kurt.” Once again, Kurt was caught off guard by the ease at which Jared touched him. As if shaking a fur covered, three-fingered hand was an everyday occurrence!

Kurt hastily replied in kind, “Hello Jared,” drawing a small chuckle from Jared has he struggled with the name. Jared smiled slightly as a faint purple blush spread across Kurt’s face. As he regarded Kurt, Jared suddenly recalled the last words they had heard from the man in the facility. He also recalled how quickly the sentinels had found them after their escape from the building, despite the haphazard path they had taken.

Frowning, Jared motioned Kurt closer and placed a hand on each side of his head. Letting the barest trace of his energy flow into Kurt, Jared soon located something artificial near the base of Kurt’s skull. Slowly building up a buffer of energy around it, Jared then quickly released a burst of energy into the object, overloading it.

Kurt jerked at a sudden sharp sting at the back of his head, looking to Jared with a slightly hurt expression. With an apologetic smile, Jared let his hands fall to Kurt’s shoulders and gave them a reassuring squeeze. “Sorry, Kurt.” Standing up, Jared took a step back and turned away. Stretching his arms above him, Jared arched his back for a moment before letting out an explosive breath as his arms fell back to his side. A moment later, his feathered wings once again burst out from his back, gleaming softly in the growing moonlight.

Jared knelt down and looked back at Kurt, who was once again staring at him with a look of wonder. “Ready?” Jared couldn’t help but laugh as Kurt gave a little start and carefully positioned himself between the wings, wrapping his arms around Jared’s neck. Beating his wings, Jared slowly lifted them up and off the ground. After surveying the surrounds for a few moments, Jared spotted the lights of a nearby town and headed off towards it as night settled across the land.