((REPOST)) Shadows of the Past ((fanfic, Prequel through Cha

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Ugh, the other thread died on us. :X

Shadows of the Past:

A/N: Not really an X3 fic, but somewhere in between.

Disclaimer: None, and I do mean none, of these characters are mine, they happen to belong to Marvel and their creators. I just like to screw around with them when Marvel’s head is turned. *evil laugh*

The cool night air stung her skin, even through the thick wool cloak, as she ran, clutching a bundle to her breast. She’d thought she would be safe in her little village, where she could never be found by the prying eyes of the government. But little villages have a way of clinging on with the desperation of a drowning man to old beliefs.

Like demons.

She could hear the angry yelling behind her, drawing ever closer. Their pounding footsteps filled the woods, making birds and animals scatter.

“Momma!” cried the bundle in her arms, for it wasn’t just blankets this woman carried, but her two year-old son.

Instinctively, she held him tighter, praying to God (or any other deity willing to lend an ear) that even if she died, that he lived, somehow, someway…

She paused, panting, in the middle of a small clearing surrounded by the remnants of dead trees. A raging waterfall could be seen nearby, plunging over 100 feet downwards. Jump off of that, and you wouldn’t live to tell your tale.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spied the hollow base of an oak tree, with a small hole in the very center. The opening was small, very small indeed, but just large enough for a young child to fit through.

She knew what had to be done…she just wished there was some other way.

There wasn’t.

She set her son in the snow. He was so tiny that the snowdrift nearly consumed him. She kneeled and pulled back his little hood, and his looks instantly gave answer to the question of why they were being so angrily pursued.

A face so dark a blue-black color was nearly invisible in the black of the night and was framed by pointed ears that were simply too large for the boy’s head. His chrome yellow eyes, lit by moonlight, shone with silent tears, and he stuck the thumb of one tri-fingered hand in his mouth, gnawing on it frightfully with small, but sharp, baby teeth. Behind him, a stubby tail shivered with more fright than cold.

“Kurt, I need to you to hide, baby.” She didn’t usually use pet names with him, believing them to be a weakness, but even she could see just how desperately her offspring was in need of her comforting words. “And don’t come out of this tree until I come back, got it?”

Little Kurt nodded and held a hand-made, ragged teddy bear close. “Yes, Momma.”

“That’s my boy.”

Showing uncharacteristic weakness, she gave him one last hug. The action pushed away her own hood and revealed skin and eyes mirroring her son’s. “Climb in the tree, hurry!”

He did as she ordered, all the time clutching the teddy bear like a lifeline. Some of the stuffing came out of the right arm.

“Be back soon?” he asked nervously. He had never liked being alone, without his mother there to protect him.

“Yes, Kurt, I will. Be quiet!” she added in a fierce whisper before fleeing.

Alone, cold, scared, Kurt waited. When the mob roared into and past the meadow, still pursuing Kurt’s Momma, he cringed further into the tree and hugged his teddy bear with all his strength, rocking himself like Momma would whenever he’d been scared. He thought he was a big boy, and didn’t need the hugs and kisses from his Momma. But all he could do was shake and shake with silent sobs, watch the snow fall, and wait for Momma.

“I say, what IS it?”

Voice drew Kurt from his sleep. It had been a nice dream; Momma had been in it. With forwardness only a child can muster, he instantly knew that the voice wasn’t Momma’s. It was a man, no, TWO men.

“A child, Brother Brown, that is as plain as day!”

This voice was different from the first one; that one had scared Kurt with its harsh tone. The second voice was soft, quiet, and reminded Kurt of Momma.

Momma?

“Momma…” he whined, struggling in the strong arms in which he was held. “Kurt wants Momma!”

“A miracle…” the nice voice said in a hushed whisper, like the owner of it didn’t know how to speak any other way.

“A miracle? A demon is more like it!” declared the second voice.

Before Kurt could even react, he was snatched from the first pair of arms and dangled in the air, helpless, from the fat hand of the meaner man, a fat little man with a puckered face that looked like he had just spent his day sucking on lemons nonstop. When he looked down, he could see the raging waterfall gaping up at him, and he shrieked in pure terror.

“Momma, Momma, MOMMA!”

“Brother Brown, I demand you put that child down, this instant!” demanded the other man, a tall broad-shouldered man with flaming red hair and beard. He reached up for Kurt and snatched him out of Brother Brown’s hand just before the other man was about to drop him. Before he could be cradle-crushed in the red man’s arms, Kurt tried to defend himself in the only way he knew.

“OW!” Brother Brown squawked, clutching at his chubby wrist where the babe had bit him, inspecting the bloody teeth marks. “You see, I told you, Abbot Wagner. He’s a son of Satan!”

“Oh, pish posh!” said the kindly Abbot. Swinging Kurt up unto his shoulder, he rubbed the distressed boy’s back with large but gentle hands. “He’s scared, that’s all. There, there, dear boy.”

Kurt stopped wailing, but he did not stop sniffling into the soft brown robe that all monks of Abbot Wagner’s order wore. Wagner’s long hair and beard were soft and cushy to Kurt’s touch, and comforted him. “Momma…”

“Where is this Momma of yours, son?”

“Momma run, take Kurt with her. Hide Kurt in tree, go away.” Kurt rubbed his wet and sticky face with the back of a hand. “Momma not come back…Kurt do bad?”

“No, no, no…Kurt do good,” Wagner assured him. “Kurt do very good. Ugh, you’re filthy! Brother Brown, we are taking this child with us; he is in desperate need of help, and most especially of a good bath!”

“But—“

“No buts! Come now, little Kurt,” he said to the foundling. “You’re going to a new home now.”

“Home?” That sounded good to Kurt. “Home…with Momma…”

She was bloody. She was hurt, full of bullet holes. But she was the most determined woman on the face of the Earth.

She half-walked, half-crawled, over to the hollow tree where she had left her son. But when she looked inside, she found nothing but the ragged teddy bear in the core of the old oak. She tore it apart with her bare hands, ignoring that the action tore open her healing wounds and splashed blood onto the virgin snow, shrieking out her child’s name. Her eyes darted like a madwoman’s around the clearing until they settled on the roaring waterfall near her.

He was gone…her only real reason for living had been cruelly snatched away from her and destroyed…just because he and his mother were DIFFERENT.

At that moment, an unspeakable, indescribable, hate for the human race awoke within her heart, consuming it until nothing was left but the black abhor flame. Her eyes glazed over until the yellow in her eyes had taken over the entire eyeball. As she shed her robe, melting it into her skin, scales could be seen rising like tiny mountains all over her sapphire body. Red hair shortened, straightened, and became not the soft crimson that Kurt associated with his mother, but the color of fresh blood.

Raven Darkholme died that day.

And Mystique was born.

Now all of the world, human and mutant alike, would feel her wrath.
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mad With Power »

I've binned the other one as we agreed, Siona, but this one is still loading extremely slowly for me. Please try posting in plain text with UBB coding, and drop the centred effect -- maybe that's at issue.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

What be UBB coding? And what's plain text, BTW, it looks normal to me?

URGH! I'm an idiot! :die

Yeah, it's slow for me too...hm.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mad With Power »

UBB code is the square bracketed stuff -- just making sure you don't have any non-board code in there.

Pulling out the centre seems to really have sped things up, don't you think?
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Yeah! Maybe I just had too much HTML and such goin' on?

In any case, it seems to be working (:*)) and I'll post the first chapter.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Shadows of the Past:

Chapter 1

A/N: I would like to thank whoever wrote “Freedom of Choice”, because I was completely stumped as to what Nightcrawler could possibly teach at the School. Danke schöen!

Oh, something else: BIG Kuroro relationship. In other words, Kurt/Ororo. If you are reading this and are thinking, “ICK.”...STOP! DESIST! HALT! CEASE FROM READING THIS FIC! But if you like this, I gladly welcome you. :)

Kurt Wagner sat at his new mahogany desk, cheerfully checking papers for his Language Studies classes. To his joy, he found less than ten mistakes in a matter of nearly fifty papers. To him, that meant that he was a good teacher, and that he was assuring these children of a good education. Both meant the world to him.

Although he had only been at the Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters a few weeks or so, he’d already begun to associate it with home, though the Munich Circus would always be his foremost family. The people here treated him with respect he rarely found outside the show ring, and no fear whatsoever. That, he had never found.

“Mister Wagner? Are you ready?”

Kurt looked up and his eyebrows arched quite high at the sight of Kitty Pryde’s head sticking through the door, looking just like a deer trophy. “Uh...ja. I will be right there, Kitty.”

Giving him a bright smile that made his heart sing, she vanished from sight.

The 50th anniversary of the opening of the school was that evening, and a huge party had been planned for the past month. All of the students and teachers were going to be there, and the smells coming from the kitchen plagued the dreams of all the mansion’s residents.

Unfortunately...the date also marked the one-month anniversary of Jean Gray’s death.

But Professor Xavier wasn’t about to let this damper this special evening. “She would have wanted us to be happy,” he continually reminded his pupils, “and not for us to dwell on the things that are bad instead of enjoying the things that bring us joy.”

Kurt was unable to know the woman personally, but in the short time that he had been with her, he’d come to understand just how much of a loss this school had suffered. But, like Xavier, he found this no reason to block a joyful evening of fun. He just had to keep a close eye, two if he could spare them, on both his and his students’ activities.

“Colonel Creed?”

Graydon Creed turned to his Sergeant, cold blue eyes gazing down on the other man. His wheat-blonde hair was cropped short in a buzz cut save for one foot-long ponytail at the nape of his stout neck. In one hand, he held a rider’s crop, worn out from continual rituals of whipping it into his other hand. The Colonel had a talent for making clothes always look crisp, fresh, and right off the rack, even if he had been wearing the same pair of pants and shirt for three days. It was rumored among his troops that if you threw a clot of mud at him...it wouldn’t stick.

“Yes, what is it?”

Sergeant Jacques held up a folder packed close to busting with papers, stamped with the official seal of the United States of America. “It’s General Stryker and his program, Weapon X, sir. General Stryker is...he’s dead, sir.”

That caught Creed by surprise. “Dead, you say? Killed by whom?”

“A team of mutants.” Jacques lip curled at the last word. “I believe they call themselves...the X-men.”

“Any others?”

“Yes, sir. Another mutie team, the Brotherhood, led by Erik Lehnsherr.”

“Ah,” Graydon breathed. He’d heard that name more times than he could count. “A.k.a. Magneto, the Master of Magnetism, am I correct?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Hm. So he’s escaped from his prison. A pity; I truly believed that the plastic cell keeping that freak of nature in would do its job right.”

He turned from the other man, gazing at the large screen before him. On it was an enlarged map of the world. It spun slowly on its axis, only slightly faster than the Earth itself, covered in white dots. These were the normal humans, pure and perfect in Graydon Creed’s eyes.

When he could see a scattering of black dots, he scowled heavily. They were mutants, of course, both ones who had conceived their powers and those who had yet to do so. Graydon had used black for their color, for black was the color of dark, impurity, and evil.

“There...there was another mutant involved in this, I believe. One used in the Weapon X program little more than a month before.”

Graydon’s curiosity had been pricked. “Oh? How interesting. Who is our mystery mutant, dear Jacques?”

Jacques handed him the overstuffed folder. Graydon looked through it disheartedly until he found the mutie of which his Sergeant spoke:

An obvious horror to mankind; indigo-blue tattooed skin, lacking two fingers on each hand, only two toes on its feet, chrome yellow eyes, a long forked tail of a demon, gleaming fangs of nearly an inch long, hair as dark midnight itself.

Below the picture, it labeled the nightmare WAGNER, KURT, a.k.a. NIGHTCRAWLER. More information had been provided for the monstrosity: sex, nationality, markings, and other things that might or might not prove of use. Graydon smiled. “Stryker always had an eye for the odd-looking freaks. They just proved how right he is...or rather, how right he was...”

He shook his head. “Too bad about the old man. What a waste of such a great mind. But still...his death only aided to our worthy cause of ridding the world of mutants. William Stryker is gone, but his work will not be forgotten.” He turned back to Jacques. The other man straightened quick as lightning, awaiting his imminent orders. “What of Yuriko Oyama? And Jason Stryker?”

“Both are also dead, sir.”

“Damn. That means we’ve lost a faultless assassin and the perfect way to control both mutants and humans alike, and all I have left are the files of one more useless mutant...” He paused and looked down at the files in his hand, at the photos of the demon who dared call itself human. Bells rang in his head, a fact he knew about this mutie, but he just couldn’t call it to him. Instead, another came in its place. “Or maybe...we still have a use for him.”

“Jacques. Gather your troops.” He let the files fall to the floor, scattering on the concrete. He looked down on them for a moment, staring at the photographs of a demon brought unto Earth. “We have work to do.”

“Oh, Herr Logan, please,” Kurt insisted, holding up his hands to ward the older man off. “I simply could not eat yet another bite. I fear that I am going to be suffering stomach pains this night already; I can’t.”

Logan chuckled. The cake-eating contest between the students and teachers had been less challenging than he had hoped, but the elf was proving to be a worthy opponent, despite his modesty. Even with that skinny frame backed by the body of an acrobat, he could really pack it away. “Oh? Guess that means you owe me ten bucks, bub,” he said, turning in his seat to face Bobby Drake. The curly-haired teen gave him a goofy grin and made a show of just how great the gardens were looking and trotted away, Rogue in hand.

There was scattered laughter from the students. It faded as they found far more interesting things to explore. The teachers were chatting among themselves while keeping a close eye on their rowdy students. Logan wandered away, trying to ignore the sharp pains in his torso as his powers handled the indigestion, and Kurt was left alone at the picnic table.

He stared down at the offending last chunk of spice cake topped off with vanilla ice cream. He had learned to never waste food, no matter how full you were. When it didn’t react to his glaring eyes, he sighed and decided to go wrap it in some plastic wrap, saving it for some lucky student.

Kurt made his way to the house, plate in hand, when he felt a tap on his shoulder. When he turned, he could feel his face flush; right there, a foot or less from his face, was Ororo Munroe. “Kurt, you’re not leaving, are you; the party has just begun, after all.”

“Oh, no, Fraulein.” He pointed to the plate. “I am simply going to put this piece in the refrigerator, for later. I plan on coming back.”

“Ah. Well, I’ll have the cake, please.”

“Take it,” he said, handing the cake to her. She took it, sucking a bit of icing off a fingertip. Completely against his will, Kurt felt a shudder pass through him.

Storm saw it.

“Is something wrong, Kurt?”

“Oh...nothing. I am simply a little cold, that is all.”

“Do you need warmer clothes? It’s coming pretty close to fall.”

“Nein, nein, I am fine. Really,” he added under a suspicious look from the other mutant.

Storm stared at him for one more moment, then shrugged and walked away. When she was out of sight, Kurt collapsed inwardly with a heavy sigh full of regret. What is your problem, Wagner? he cursed himself, staring at where she had been. Every time she is near...something happens. I cannot speak; I cannot move; I can only stare. Gott in Himmel, she most likely thinks me rude!

She was such a confusing subject to him. Whenever she was near, he nearly topple under the pain in his chest, slowly clutching and stopping his heart, but the moment she was gone...it was even worse. He couldn’t help but think of her in the depths of the night, how gracefully she moved, how easily she carried that endless beauty, how she held herself with pride and strength...Ororo Munroe seemed to have no faults in Kurt Wagner’s eyes. Nor in his heart.

But he felt that he simply could not give himself to her. He was supposed to be a man of God...even if he did look like the spawn of Satan. To love her body— here, he gasped — would be a sin. And, as much as he desired to hold her, to feel her touch...it simply could not be.

With another deep, suffering sigh, he tried to put on his best face, stand tall, and carry on with his new family.

Never did he, or the other X-Men, see the pair of eyes following his every move from the shadows...

-- SheCat.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Chapter Two

A/N: WARNING: A tad bit of bloodshed in the following chapter. Don't like that? Have a queasy stomach? Well, either leave or suck it up, grab your barf bag, and keep on reading.

As per usual, the majority of the students were gathered in the Den, chatting about whatever random topic came up in their young heads. Right now, the discussion was about their families. They were specifically trying to stay away from asking Bobby of his family, but the boy actually wanted to talk about them.

"Well, what about your parents, Petey?" he asked, having just related to a memory of when they had first gotten the family cat. "They send you here or what?"

"Yes," was the simple reply before the large Russian returned to his artwork. Rogue leaned over his shoulder to observe his drawing; it was a sketch of Kurt, who was sitting over near the window, reading a small book of German poetry he had found under an inch of dust in the library. Storm was farther off, gazing off into the sunset with a musing expression on her face. As usual, Peter had caught the blue mutant, like all his other subjects, perfectly and to the mark, even the elaborate tattoos. "Wow, Peter, that's good."

"Thank you."

Bobby glanced at the drawing. "Ooh, it is. In any case, I like it way better than I did that one you did of me and Marie..."

The other children snorted and sniggered, causing Kurt to look up from his reading. "What is so funny?" he asked.

"Oh, nothing, Kurt." A thought struck Rogue. "Hey, we barely know anything about you; tell us about your history and such."

Kurt closed the book and strode over, sitting near the arm of the couch so his tail could move freely. With a curious glance to Storm, he asked, "What would you like to know?"

Rogue smiled. She just couldn't get over that accent. "Well, I dunno. Like, your family and stuff, I guess."

The older mutant stared at her with such a look on his face that Rogue could only wonder if she had insulted him somehow. But before she could even begin to apologize, he said, "Well, as you all know I was once part of the Munich Circus, the star attraction even!"

He couldn't stop a grin when all of the younger mutants responded with a chorus of "Oohs" and "Ahhs". It had been such a long time since he had had an audience, especially one with such an interest in him. "But before that, I lived in a monastery."

"Monstery?" Jones queried.

Kurt chortled. "Nein, nein, Jones; a monastery." He pointed a finger skyward. "A place where men may gather and worship Him."

"Oh," said Jones, slumping down into the couch, embarrassed.

"Anyway, I lived there until I was around your age; that was when I decided I wanted to explore the outside world and see what it had to offer. A good friend of my father's, one Ms. Margali, gave me the opportunity to perform her circus. And here I am."

Rogue noticed a strange sadness in his golden eyes, as if the words had brought back both painful and heart-lifting memories. When she had a creepy feeling that she was being stared at, she glanced over to Storm. The woman was watching with serious concentration and an obvious fascination. "Tell us more, Kurt," she insisted, gently prodding him with a gloved hand. "This is interesting."

"Which of the monks was your father?" Kitty asked.

Kurt didn't answer right away, pausing as he had to Rogue's first question. Rogue could see that odd look on his face again, but the happiness had faded away, leaving only pain in its wake.

"No...I...I had been abandoned; Abbot Wagner took me in as his own and raised me. I think of him as my father." Kurt turned from them to gaze over to where Storm was, who was quick to turn away and pretend her attention was elsewhere. "I never knew my parents, and I can only remember glimpses of a woman...but that is all."

"Oh...sorry," Kitty said softly, looking down at the carpet, faces burning with shame.

"It is nothing, Kätzchen," Kurt said quickly so as not to let the girl think she had offended him.

She looked up with an arched eyebrow. "Say what?"

"Kätzchen. It means 'kitten'."

"Ooh, cool!" The first topic immediately forgotten, Kitty moseyed over to his side of the couch, scooching Jones out of his spot to sit next to the blue man. "Can ya teach me more?"

"I would love to, Kätzchen."

There were other agreements of interest from other students, and Kurt was tailed by a rather impressive group of followers as he walked out of the room. From her position, Storm watched him go rather sadly. She had hoped to hear more of his past in an attempt to learn something...but what?

He's back in Germany again. He has been for the past month, ever since he had met the X-men; at least, in his dreams he has. When he looks around him, he can see the dozen or so of large, bright, and colorful tents, all designed to capture one's interest and spark their imagination. The familiar sounds of the happy people, the smells of the hay and food, the feel of the bar in his hand, all of these things overwhelm him. It leaves him in a state of dizziness that he has never experienced before in his entire life.

He stands high on his perch, close to fifty feet up in the air. But where some of the world's bravest men would cower, he excels. Every flip and leap is so fluent that, from below, one would think that he was more liquid than flesh and blood.

He can see HER at the other end. Amanda, waiting to be swept once again into his arms. He is only too glad to do so. The need to feel her silky hair and skin was overpowering.

He went to her.

Oh, the feeling! He was free again in such a way that he had not felt since...since the "incident". She looks so happy, as is he...but there is something wrong. He doesn't know what it is. Nevertheless, he sails toward her gracefully as an Archangel until he is only a hand's reach away. Stretching out an arm, he strives to touch her.

She takes his hand and pulls him close. Her breath is sweet and her lips just as soft as he always dreamed they would be. Her touch alone sent him into convulsions. Fingers slid over the raised skin of his tattoos, gently caressing his face and neck.

He whispers her name, his private pleasure, and kisses her again.

A searing pain! He jerks back and touches his lip where she has bit him. It's only a little cut, but it is bleeding heavily, splashing across his clothes, hands, and the floor. He looks to her, aghast, only to find that Amanda Sefton no longer stands there.

In her place, it is General William Stryker, cold eyes gleaming like steel behind his glasses. He's come to take him again, to use him, to abuse him. He shakes his head, putting up his hands to ward the older man away. No, not again! NOT AGAIN!!

In one swift movement betraying his age, Stryker has him pinned to the platform in an unshakable grip. He struggles, crying out for help, praying to Him, but there is only silence. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees it, the yellow vial, bright and glaring. It begins to drip onto the base of his skull, sizzling and bubbling like boiling water. But instead of simply fading away to form a circle, it leaves an open hole in his neck. Scarlet blood billows out, filling his ears, nose, eyes, and mouth, both choking and drowning him. Every wound he has ever suffered has resurfaced, the tattoos especially. Some, like the small circles just below his heart, bleeds lightly; but the larger, more intricate ones are the ones that make him writhe in agony. The blood drips off the platform, the blazing red drops enlarging as they plummet downwards until they begin to fill the tent. Up the sea of scarlet goes until it reaches the platform, overriding him.

There is someone in the blood, someone he knows but cannot recognize for the life of him. Her skin blazes blue against the red surrounding her. Is it that her hair is red or is it tainted with the gore? She gives out a cry and he aches to answer her. Out he stretches, grasping her slender hand in his strong fingers.

Then he realizes it; he knows this woman as...as his mother. He cries out to her with desperation and terror he has never known. Something deep inside tells him that only she can bring him comfort or death, whichever one it would be.

But his hands are not tight enough; they are slick from the gore and weak from his loss of blood. They lose hers. She is gone, yellow eyes gazing up at him demanding, "WHY?"

He screams.

Kurt Wagner jerked up in his bed with a quiet shout of fear, silently thanking God Almighty for bringing him out of the nightmare. His bed-sheets were soaked from his tears and sweat, which wasn't bad, considering he had kicked most of them off in his frenzy to escape the dream-Stryker.

He was still in the room that he had finally identified as his home, but he felt far from being in such a place. With a shaking hand, he placed it on his face to feel the raised scars of sins there, simply to reassure himself that the dream was nothing more than that. A dream. When he pulled it away, he could feel the tears on his fingers, but none of the horrific blood that had felt so painstakingly real.

"That woman," he whispered. It had not been the first time she had been in his reveries, whether or not they were nightmares. By now, he had learned she was his mother...but other questions were never answered.

Forcing himself out of bed and onto his feet, he walked as quietly down the hall as possible; he had no intention of waking the students and teachers, and hoped he hadn't with the shout he had let loose when he had awoken.

As he made his way to the stairs and to the kitchen, he passed Storm's room. The door was open. Kurt couldn't resist a peek inside at the sight of her sleeping in her bed. White hair had been strewn across the pillow; her cocoa-colored body proving to be quite an opposition to the snowy sheets it lay on. Although her eyelids and silky eyelashes covered them, there was no doubt in Kurt's mind that her eyes were still that color of startling blue.

With a jerk, he pulled his head out of the door and quickly, quietly, closed the door. What was he thinking, peeking into Storm's room!? And without her permission even! He was shamed. But as he continued down to the reconstructed kitchen, he simply couldn't get that innocent image of her out of his mind.

He was surprised to find the kitchen empty. Usually, at least one or two students could be found (usually Jones), and Logan prowled the mansion every night. The night that Stryker had attacked their home had forever been burned into his killing mind and he wasn't about to let anyone catch him so off guard again. EVER.

But the large manor seemed wholly deserted, save for Kurt and the occasional snort or grunt from a sleeping person. But Kurt was glad for this; maybe this meant no one had heard him thrashing out in desperation to escape his nightmare.

The kitchen was forever a wonder to him. In the circus and before that, the monastery, he'd learned that food came in short supply and should always be eaten in small amounts, to save more for later and for others who might need it more than he.

But here there was food abound, thanks to the dear professor's large amount of money. When Kurt peeked into the kitchen and gazed at all the vegetables and fruits, he began to have an understanding for why the students went so far to get to a local fast food place. But he liked carrots, and that was enough for him. To clear his mind (not to mention eradicate his smell of sweat and salty tears), he opened the window and allowed some of the cool night breeze to caress his form for a minute or two before sitting down.

Kurt had only just begun to nibble on a baby carrot or two when he heard the rustling right beneath the windowsill. Curious and figuring it was nothing more than a stray cat or so, he looked over the edge and down among the flowers.

He barely even had time to scream.

Logan was, as Kurt had expected, hovering the corridors of the school when he heard the shrill scream from the first floor. Heightened hearing told him it had come up from the kitchen; smell told him it was Kurt.

He could hear terrified cries around him, undoubtedly the students, fearing the worse. Although it had been a full month since Stryker had attempted to kidnap them, the children still had bad fears and memories of that fateful night. Logan could only hope that Siryn didn't scream.

Charging down the stairway and to the kitchen, he popped his claws. Snikt! Behind him, he could hear the other X-Men rushing to comfort the students and the occasional student trying to make a break for it.

When he entered the room, he found…nothing. No Kurt, no soldiers, only strewn baby carrots on the table and floor. But scent told him that something had happened here, to the Elf. Not that he really liked the guy or anything. But that didn't mean he wanted to see the guy hurt. He just had this air about him that made you like him, if not love him…as Storm would know!

He wondered if Kurt had gone through the window and looked out. There was only bushes, but the scent of a man unrecognizable to Logan trailed off into the forest. With a noise somewhere between a snarl and a roar of hate, he leapt from the windowsill and into the nearby woods.

Kurt watched him go from the shadows of the bushes, voice muffled by the soldier's hand, powers restricted with the harsh metal collar round his neck. He couldn't stop the tears flooding from his eyes as he was dragged away before the people he loved and trusted were aware enough to know he was gone.

-- SheCat.
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Beboots »

*blinks* Woah.... :eek Just... woah... Nicely done...

I loved the dream-sequence, and the line, 'No Kurt, no soldiers, only strewn baby carrots on the table and floor.' Deep... :eek The last paragraph was pretty well done to... When're you gonna get the next bit up? :smirk
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Chapter 3

A/N: This chapter just might answer how Magneto is able to find recruits...but no real truth, just what I think.

Be prepared for a short chapter. Blame the writer's block.

The mansion and its surrounding lands had been searched high and low, and Cerebro implied three times now. But neither the X-Men nor their advanced technology had been able to locate the Nightcrawler. The students were clearly frightened that Stryker had found some way to terrorize them from the grave, and that his men would soon come back for them, too, and their mentors had a hard time convincing them that this wasn’t the case.

Storm wasn’t ready to admit it...but she was frightened too. But not for herself; all her anxiety was for Kurt and where he was. Why would someone take him? Who could possibly want to harm such an innocent soul who wanted nothing more but to love his God in peace?

At first the answer had been obvious to her: General William Stryker and his men. But Stryker was surely dead and, thanks to the documents they had given to the President George McKenna, the former General’s men were all serving for life in prison without bail.

So who?

A terrifying thought struck Storm as she sent the still shivering children back to the safety of their rooms. Could there have been more to Stryker’s plan than any of them had been able to imagine? She couldn’t help but shudder at the thought of their being even more people sharing the dead General’s dream of eliminating all mutants...and with Kurt in those people’s clutches.

"Miss Storm?"

Storm turned to face Kitty Pryde, who had glistening tears marking her face. She and Kurt had become very close to one another in the past month, despite his oddities and her shyness. "What’s wrong, Kitty?"

"Did you find Kurt...I mean, Mr. Wagner yet?"

Storm shook her head.

"No, I’m afraid not, Kitty. You’d better get to bed and rest."

"I can’t sleep," replied Kitty. She used the back of her hand to wipe away the tears in a gesture of strength. "I’m too worried...and all the other kids are scared."

"I see." Storm looked around her at the closed doors and could barely make out the sound of nervous whisper and sniffles from the youngest children. "I suppose you may stay with me, Kitty. But you’ll have to be quiet, okay?"

Kitty nodded her head and silently followed after the older woman into the lower half of the mansion.

Senator Robert Kelly was tired and ragged from all the interviews, but he never made it clear to his public. Instead, he put on yet another mask of life and solid energy, mentally prepping himself for another question.

Someone else shoved a microphone under his nose. "Senator Kelly, tell us, what is your opinion on General Stryker’s attacks on the mutants?"

Kelly’s face twisted into a sickened grimace. "I find it horrible that a member of our own government should stoop so low to eliminate a new race of humanity that has done us no real harm unless provoked."

A stick-figured woman shoved her way to the podium. "Bu what of the following attack after Stryker’s assault on the mutants?"

Kelly took a moment to think about that one and how to approach the topic best. "To my knowledge, it was a mistake in Stryker’s program. When the machine malfunctioned and targeted normal humans as enemies." He looked over his glasses down at his audience, making more than a few of them nervous with that shark-like glare, but his voice remained as one that you’d expect from a loving relative. "In fact, I was told by the President himself that it was a team of mutants who actually saved us all by destroying the machine."

Before another question could be uttered, Kelly stood from his seat. "I am truly sorry and you all have my apologies...but I have other matters to attend to. Good day."

A chorus of shouts and demands followed him as he stepped outside and into his personal helicopter. Thankfully enough for the Senator, the glass on his vehicle was soundproof, giving him relaxation at last. "Let’s head home, William."

Kelly was only too glad to see his own large estate once again and quickly dismissed his personnel to return to their own homes.

He had a visitor waiting in his living room...two actually. And they were not the most usual of company either.

Pyro flicked the lid of his Zippo lighter back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, like he always did to reassure himself that the life of his comforting flames was nearby. He was obviously impressed and miffed by his surroundings, having been a runaway and, before that, growing up in what wasn’t America’s ideal of a perfect home.

To the side of him stood a far older man with a face recognized round the world: Magneto, the Master of magnetism as he chose to call himself. Although his body had aged over the years, he still held the grace and majesty of a king in his court, basically making all around him feel lower than dirt.

"Ah, you’re back. I have most...interesting news for you," the older man said upon Kelly's entering. "You're going to love this."

Mystique smiled as she reverted her normal form after making sure that none could pick up on their conversation. "Oh? And what would that be?"

Magneto glanced to their younger colleague. Pyro took the hint and decided to go see what was on the tube. When he had left and closed the doors behind him, Magneto said, "It seems that something has come up about...Kurt."

She stiffened, just as Magneto had expected. "What of him?"

He waved to the computer and it instantly started up. The files that Mystique had downloaded on all of Stryker's monitored mutants appeared. Another gesture and the list scrolled down to WAGNER, KURT. It had a rather extensive list about him, such as the number of tattoos on his body, height, length of tail, supposed place and date of birth, and so on. But what really caught Mystique's eye was the bright red lettering under his profile photograph: CONTAINED.

"Does that mean...that he's been..." Mystique trailed off.

"Yes, I believe so."

"But by who?"

"That is what puzzles me. Let us revert to Finder." He turned to the bookshelf and waved again. It creaked and groaned as the metal door behind it moved aside to reveal a room almost exactly like that of Xavier's Cerebro machine. But there was no plank for one to walk upon that led to the machine; no, they were in the machine. It was an even better form of Cerebro that was amplified by Magneto's magnetism. Unfortunately, it only allowed him to find a mutant or human, but not actually connect with them the way his old friend could.

If he had been able to do that, humans would have been wiped from the face of the Earth at his slightest whim.

Magneto drew his field of magnetism close around him and glided to the center of the round chamber while Mystique watched from afar. Pyro walked in with a club sandwich in hand and nearly dropped it at the sight of his leader. He twirled ever so slowly in a circle as he started the machine and searched for one Kurt Wagner.

Static electricity burst around him, bursting off and away from his magnetic shield to form into a hologram-like globe the size of the man manipulating it. It spun faster and faster, searching for Kurt across the globe, until it began to slow somewhere in the south-western United States of America. It finally stopped in a glowing red dot in the state of Arizona.

Pyro did drop the sandwich. "Jesus wept, he's in Area 51!

-- SheCat.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

**couldn't get into the old post either**

Ah-ha! Chapters 2 & 3! I was going to ask you about these, y'know, to see when they'd be written/ready, but here they are :D

I likes them very much and cannae wait for chapter 4 :D
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Chapter 4

When Kurt came to, all he could immediately register was the ache in his head. When he searched the back of his cranium for the source of the pain, he could feel both wet and dry blood clinging to his hands and hair. He pulled at the stale bits in his curly locks but this only brought even more sharp pangs.

He moved his hand back in front of his eyes only to discover that he couldn't see it at all, even when he waved it inches from his face. And this just wasn't a product of his dark coloring; when he gazed around the room, he could only see darkness.

"Where am I?" he yelled into the shadows. He felt rather silly for expecting someone to answer. But to his surprise, someone did:

"Welcome back...Nightcrawler."

"Who's there?" Kurt stood up and found that there was a rather solid wall to his right. That had to mean there was a door somewhere. And maybe if he couldn't see the speaker, maybe the speaker couldn't see him. "Where are you, show yourself!"

"Very well, if that is what you wish."

The sudden burst of lights left Kurt gasping in pain. He flung up his hands in defense at the harsh rays and fell to the floor. When he moved his hand away, he could see the outline of a tall figure looming overhead. But the multi-colored spots blocked their face completely.

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"Never mind who I am," the figure said. From the deep voice, slightly accented with a Southern tone, Kurt guessed that the figure was a man. The coldness in it made Kurt shiver deep down inside, leaving him feeling like a young child when he is trapped in the torments of a nightmare.

Without the slightest of warning, the man gave Kurt a swift but powerful kick square in his ribs. Kurt cried out and tried to defend himself, but could do nothing as his attacker doubled up his fist and hit him across the face. Blood flew from his mouth and nose to stain the pristine white floor. Out of the corner of his eye, Kurt saw the man pull his bloody fist back again, and he prepared himself for another bone-crushing blow.

But it never came. He waited, praying to God that somehow it would all be over soon, pajamas ruined by stains of blood pouring from his face. After a few precarious minutes of silence, disturbed only by the dripping of scarlet droplets onto the floor, Kurt dared to face his attacker. "What do you want with me?" he asked quietly.

Graydon Creed smiled. This was going to be such fun...

"Any signs, Professor?" was the first question that sprang from Storm's lips when Xavier entered the medical bay. The rest of the X-Men, along with young Kitty, were also in the room, all in uniform.

The old man shook his head. "No, I'm afraid not. I believe that whoever abducted Kurt seems to be using the same devices used on myself when I was being held by Stryker."

"I found this in the woods," Logan announced, walking forward. He had a piece of cloth in his fist. It was dark green in color, but there was also a small brown. On it was a small fabric badge set in gold with a large red rattlesnake in the center, coiled and ready to strike. The snake had a trio of spears wrapped in its coils with the words "America", "purity" and "humanity". Under this was the name S. Robert Jacques. "You got any idea what it means?"

Xavier took the badge and studied it carefully. "I believe that the S. in front of the name may stand for Sergeant."

"So we're dealing with the damned military again, huh?" Scott said with a dark tone.

Logan snorted. "God bless America."

"What do those words mean?" Kitty piped up, pointing to the spears.

"It is an insignia, of a sort," Xavier said. He rubbed his temples pensively and his team could see how hard he was thinking, putting all his experience and knowledge into the puzzle before them.

"I can imagine what it means," Rogue said, pointing to the spears in turn. "'America'? They're getting rid of mutants to free the country..."

"'Purity' probably means they're trying to cleanse the human race..." Bobby added.

"And humanity's rather obvious," finished Storm. "But why would they want Kurt?"

Xavier turned and faced a picture of one of his ancestors who had owned the manor before. "I can't seem to figure this out." He raised a hand to his head as if he were having the world's most painful migraine. "This is such a puzzle."

"And if we don't figure it out soon, Kurt may be..." Storm didn't dare finish her sentence. "We must find him soon."

"Yes, we know, Ororo. None will rest until Kurt is back home, safe and sound."

Logan slammed a fist on the table. "Goddamned German. Always getting himself into these things...he doesn't deserve it," he added quietly so that no one heard. "He doesn't deserve it at all."

A moment of silence was suffered until Kitty asked, "Well, maybe we could find something at Alkali Lake?"

"It was completely flooded...and what's this 'we'?" Scott asked.

"I want to help too! I really like Kurt, and I won't be able to sleep till he's back here." She crossed her arms and gave them all a really foul look. "You'll have to drag me back to bed."

"That can be arranged," muttered Logan.

"This is too dangerous for you," Bobby said, putting a hand on the girl's shoulder. "You need to stay here."

"Oh, but it wasn't too dangerous for you and Marie, was it?" she snapped back.

"Ooh, harsh," Scott commented. "But it's still too—"

"Kitty will go," the professor interrupted. "Or, rather, Shadowcat will. Marie, loan her one of your own suits."

"Really?" Kitty said excitedly. She made a triumphant gesture. "Yes!"

He looked to Kitty with a stern look. "But remember this, Kitty; this could be a mission that puts not only Kurt's life at stake, but yours and your teammates' lives as well. Above all things, you must be careful...and don't go playing the hero."

Scott stayed silent.

"Yes professor. I understand."

"Good. X-men...assemble."

-- SheCat.
Klutz
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Klutz »

::snicker:: I like Kitty's excitement. It's kinda funny...
:smirk Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling? ;)

:austen
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

((Sadly, the website that originally posted this fic is no longer up! If anyone can suggest a new home for SoTP, please tell me! :puppy))

Chapter 5:

A/N: Ugh! Damned writer's block. @_@ Ah, well, I'm making it up with some o' my fave characters...by the way, one of the characters was designed by Adam Kubert in the X-Men Special Edition of Wizard! If you know what I'm talking about, then ya know what's in store. *evil grin*

Graydon Creed stood in his conference room, awaiting his guests. He was staring at a computer screen filled with the faces of identified muties. He couldn't stop staring at the picture of his new captive, Kurt Wagner, for something in the back of his mind kept nagging him...there was something different about this animal other than his appearance that truly made him stand out in Creed's psyche.

And then it struck him. "Computer. Do a search for any other mutants resembling Wagner, Kurt."

It didn't even take a moment for the supercomputer to search and discover what Creed was looking for. Only two came up. One was of what used to be a fairly normal-looking mutant...until his full genes had kicked in right after a talk show one month ago. Creed shook his head sorrowfully; Hank McCoy's genius had been wasted on a beast.

But it was the second that made him laugh with enlightenment. It was Raven Darkholme, AKA Mystique. Why hadn't he seen it before!? It was so obvious; the eyes, the skin, even their faces looked alike! For the first time in his life, he felt like an imbecile for not knowing it the second he had laid eyes on the Nightcrawler.

"Colonel? They are here," Jacques announced over the intercom.

"Good," answered Creed. "Let them in, all of them."

The doors swooshed open to reveal richly clad people, each one from every large nation on the face of the Earth. Their personalities, tastes, and nationalities varied, but they all shared one common goal: the extermination of mutants.

"I heard your leader has been killed, Creed," said Arielle, a young blonde woman of French origin and the only female in the group. She twirled a fan in her manicured hands and an amused sneer crept onto her shapely face. "It would seem that not even America can handle with its sewer rats, eh, monsieur?"

There were a few chuckles from the other leaders. Creed found no humor in the teasing but having just discovered something rather miraculous to his cause, he obliged himself to a quiet chortle. "Yes, well, has France?"

Arielle's sneer collapsed.

"Ah, I see. Well, what about Ireland, Devlin? China? India? Italy? Spain? Japan? Not even Russia?" He was replied with nothing but silence and stony looks. Creed only gave them a big smile, the kind you expect from a loving family member. "I didn't think as much. It would seem that we all have our own problems with the mutant kind. But I now have the solution to your pest problems."

"Oh?" asked Devlin through his thick Irish accent. He stroked his bright red beard and murmured to himself. "What kinda plan ye got, lad?"

Creed turned to the computer and switched screens to a picture of a grisly Civil War battle. It was unclear as to who was winning or losing; all one could comprehend was the dead bodies of both men and their steeds littering the bloodstained grass. "Ever since their creation, man has pitted against man, killed for honor, money, land, or just because it's fun. In World War II, the Nazis killed over 6 million Jews in a matter of years. Before that was America's Civil War, the bloodiest war in my country's proud history. Every one of you has a tale to tell of your own nation's bloodshed, losses, and winnings. Our countries were built on the backs of the dead."

"Screw the speech, Creed," said Geraldo of Spain. "Cut to the chase and tell us this master plan that you seem to have!"

Creed grinned and looked to the man. "You want to hear it, Geraldo? Fine. Before I was so rudely interrupted, I was getting to the point that even though we are of one species, we seem to be hell-bent on destroying one another and so do many other species all over the planet. And, as we all know, these mutants seem to be a twisted new species of humanity..."

He gave them a grin and not a single one was able to stop the shudder that passed down their cowardly spines.

"...Why shouldn't the same rules apply to them?"

Kurt had never imagined a place as dreary as the cell he now occupied. There was no furniture, so he was forced to sit on the ice-cold concrete floor. No windows meant light, no contact meant loneliness, and no powers meant no escape. He sighed and shoved his hands into a pair of pants Creed had ordered for him, a simple blue pair along with a white T-shirt and a bright yellow vest two sizes too small. Of all of possession, only his prayer beads had been allowed to him.

He felt something in between his briefs and his pants. When he pulled it out, he actually smiled; it was a picture Rogue had taken of Kurt and Storm at the school's 50th anniversary party. He couldn't help but stare at the small smiling face of Ororo, stroking it affectionately. It had been less than a week ago, yet that happy day seemed so very long ago. "Can it get any worse than this?" he wondered aloud.

Almost an answer, the door opened. Kurt quickly stuffed the photo into a pocket. Guards walked in, gun in hand, and motioned for him to come forth.

He didn't move.

"Damn fucking mutants," one muttered under his breath. He strode behind Kurt, looking almost bored out of his mind, he stuck the barrel straight into his back to push him out the door and into a pair of handcuffs. Kurt, for the most part, didn't rightly know what was going on. What were they going to do? Flashbacks of Alkali Lake and the White House peppered his mind like a maelstrom, making him dizzy.

He was so deeply concentrated in those horrid memories that he never realized that they had stopped in front of another door until the restraints had been removed. The door opened to reveal the world leaders in their horrible glory as he was led through them to the front of the group. Some gasped, in shock that mutation could go so far, but others smiled for whatever reasons they kept to themselves.

Graydon Creed smiled. "Welcome, Mr. Wagner."

-- SheCat.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Chapter 6:

A/N: This chapter's dedicated to my bud, Maelstrom; she pointed out the rather HUGE gap between this and the past chapters, rather inspiring me to pick this back up. Thanks for bitchin', Maelstrom! >D

But, even so, short chapter.

The Blackbird was quiet, even more so than usual. Only the near-silent engines could be heard among the disquieting stillness. Kitty, never one to be very quiet, shuffled in her seat. Storm was at the helm with Cyclops beside her. She couldn't spare the time to look back at the one empty seat.

Scott jumped at the sight of the lightening crashing through the skyline. The reason why could be seen in the way the pilot held onto the yoke like it was the very key to life. "Storm?"

The weather witch didn't answer.

"Storm." He put a hand on her shoulder, shaking her a little. "Hey, Ororo, what's wrong?"

Storm jerked back and the lightning stopped. "What?" she snapped in a very un-Storm like manner.

"Nothing; you were just making one hell of a storm out there."

"What?" She looked through the window, where a sprinkle of rain still trickled. "Oh...that."

"It's Kurt, isn't it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she sniffed, turning back to the controls.

"...If you say so," Scott replied.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I just wanted to know if Nightcrawler was the reason you're so uptight."

Storm gave him one of her most wicked glares but Scott had lived with them long enough not to back down. The other passengers were starting to take a keen interest in the conversation, yet smart enough not to butt in.

"There's the location," Rogue said before anymore uncomfortable conversation could be had.

It was the same as it had been a month ago. The graffiti had not been changed except for the newer comments, the stained glass windows still remained, and the blasted doors had not been replaced yet.

The church that Kurt had taken refuge in was exactly the same.

"What are we here for again?" Kitty asked as they unbuckled and got out.

"Professor thinks there might be some clues here," replied Logan. He snuffed his cigarette, actually showing respect for the holiness of the building as they entered it. "I smell a whole lot of cigs and spray paint, but nothing else."

"Keep looking," Scott said. "Shadowcat, you and I check the pews. Wolverine and Iceman will check the walls. Storm and Rogue will look upstairs."

Goddess, doesn't this bring back memories, Storm thought as she led the younger mutant up the winding stairway to Kurt's former home. She could still smell the burnt wood, the crack of the lightning as it brought Kurt traveling from the rafters to the ground with as fast as gravity could muster. The terrified, confused expression on his face had been priceless, and the two of them had later laughed at who had scared whom most; him with his looks and words of demons, or she with her light shows!

"Please don't kill me! I didn't mean to hurt anyone!"

"I wonder where people got that impression. What's your name?"

"Wagner...Kurt Wagner."

She didn't realize she had stopped until Rogue poked her in the back. "Storm? You okay?"

Why was everyone asking her that?! She was fine, dammit! "Yes, I am. Let's keep going."

Ah, yes, the room hadn't changed either. When he had left with her and Jean, he had only taken a few meager clothes, books, and the large collection of posters. But the crucifix, spartan furniture, and quilted bed had remained.

"He lived here?" Rogue asked with an air of disbelief. Even at her age, she found it rather hard to believe even Kurt could live here without heat, electricity, and proper plumbing!

"For a while, yes," Storm said. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw it; the one remaining poster that Kurt had forgotten. It read, in English, "Circus Gehlhaar presents The Incredible Nightcrawler! For the first time in the U.S.!" He was on the trapeze with only one foot supporting him. Storm couldn't stop the blush from coming at the sight of Kurt in some rather...tight biking shorts, a great, big goofy grin on his face.

"What...are they?"

"Angelic symbols, passed onto mankind by the Archangel Gabriel."

"They're beautiful."

Rogue was shocked to suddenly hear her mentor break down into quiet sobs. The woman's shoulders shook hard and her teardrops spattered across the one-sheet in her trembling hands. "Storm!" Rogue rushed to her side. "Are you alright?"

"No," Storm replied. "I just can't believe...that someone would..." She threw the poster down. "He doesn't deserve it!" she yelled and lightning and thunder battled in the sky outside, piledriving Beantown with rain. "What did he ever do to them? Why? I'm going to-to-to..."

She couldn't take it and collapsed back onto the bed, head cradled in her arms as she sobbed into the leather. Rogue stared for a moment, still stunned at the sudden outburst of emotion, before wrapping her friend in her arms. "It's okay, Storm, we're going to find him."

"But what if we don't?! What if he dies, just like Jean?!"

"He's not going to," Rogue assured her. "We're gonna find him, make whoever's got him pay, and bring him back to the school, back home."

The pair sat there for a moment in the comfort of each other's arms, ignoring the yells from the others downstairs, until Storm pulled herself together again. The rain stopped, leaving Boston weathermen rather perplexed. "I'm so sorry, Rogue," she said. "I just—"

"I know. I know." The younger mutant jerked her head to the door. "Should we go?"

"Yes; let's go."

Rogue headed downstairs but Storm paused for a moment. She had said she was fine now, but she had become skilled at lying about her feelings since her best friend's passing. Suddenly, Ororo Munroe didn't have the strength to stand up, much less go on a rescue mission!

But they counted on her now. Kurt was counting on her.

Storm scooped up the poster, carefully folding it before following.

"Someone so beautiful should not be so angry."

"Sometimes anger can help you survive."

"So can faith."

"I hope it does, Kurt," she whispered to the wind. "I really do."

-- SheCat.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Chapter 7

He'd only been to New York City once, when the Ringling Brothers circus had flown him from Germany to America. And even then, he'd been shuffled too quickly from airport to car in order to keep him hidden for him to really get a good look of it.

It had looked like a bright, bustling hive of people, the biggest city he'd ever seen outside of Berlin or Paris. From the skies and the tinted windows of the special taxi the circus had ordered for him, the lights, colors, and lofty skyscrapers seemed warm and he had thought, Maybe this country isn't as cold as I hear it is.

But, now, surrounded by only the merciless beat of rain, streetlights flickering between light and a dead bulb, and the cold hard sidewalk under his feet, Nightcrawler couldn't recall the nice feelings the Big Apple had given him.

Graydon had given him a large overcoat, sunglasses, shirt and hat to cover himself and suddenly left him in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the biggest rainstorm to hit NYC in quite a while. The gutters were overrunning, streets and sidewalks filled with puddles, and Kurt had no shoes. What luck he had, it seemed!

He shivered and pulled the coat closer, starting to walk down the street. The rosary beads, hanging from his pant loops, clicked in succession with his steps. Why had Creed brought him here? What was the purpose to slink to the mansion, kidnap him, terrorize him beyond end, and then simply let him loose? Or did the man have some maniacal plan unbeknownst to Kurt?

Kurt shook his head to free himself of the head pains, sending the hat flying into the dark. He reached for it when he heard the tinniest of meows. Lifting the cap, he found a kitten barely the size of his hand, hiding behind a garbage can in a futile attempt to shield himself from the rain.

"Oh," Kurt murmured, picking up the little thing and cradling him. "You're all wet, alone too I bet." He used a bit of the coat to dry the kitten. "You should be home somewhere, with someone to love you and keep you dry."

Walking over to the nearest door, he knocked and quickly sat the kitten down. By the time the door was answered, Kurt was gone in a burst of smoke with the faintest bamf.

"Kitty!" the child cried. He picked up the little critter and ran off into the house, slamming the door behind him. Kurt smiled from the alley, sadly though. His words were coming back to him, reminding him where his home was at and where his loved ones were tonight.

Especially...her.

The matter of the fact was he was stuck in New York, with no one to contact, no shelter from the weather, or anyway to get back to the Institute without all hell getting loose. And...Something else...: what if Creed was just messing with his head? What if he only he came back, and took someone else or hurt them, or even...

"No!" he yelled, looking up into the night sky. The raindrops still fell, stinging his chrome yellow eyes, but he ignored them. "I won't let him. I'll kill him first, God forbid. I can't. I won't!"

Forcing the awful thoughts out of his head, he looked down at the map Creed had given him. It was a smaller map of the area he was in with an entrance marked in red.

"I'll make a deal with you, Nightcrawler," Creed said. The leaders had left, in too much of a smug mood for Kurt.

"What...kind of deal?"

"A good one, really." Creed handed him the clothes and the map. "Do this for me...and I'll never bother you again."

Kurt didn’t answer.

"...Don't...well, quite possibly someone else from Xavier's freak show will help me." The man lowered his sunglasses to glower at Kurt. "If you catch my drift."

"...I'll do it."

Here it was; a manhole in the middle of the street. Kurt grabbed hold and with a great strain of effort, popped it open. Sure enough, a ladder lead into a stinking sewer filled with grim from God only knew where, thankfully with wide paths along the sides. He climbed down, sneering at the horrible smells rising from the sewage, and walked along the path.

Yes, the map definitely led this way...to the north. Kurt followed the dotted line, pinching his nose all the while.

After an entire hour, he came upon the worst thing imaginable.

A dead-end.

"Wunderbar," he muttered to himself. "How on Earth am I supposed to get past here."

Without warning, he felt the cold, metal feeling of a steel rod being poked in his back.

"You ain't 'sposed to, chere."

-- SheCat.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

((GAMBIT FANS, REJOICE!!))

Chapter 8:

A/N: Another shoutout, this one to my buddy SheCat, who helped me out with keeping Gambit in character!

OOH, CRAP, SPOILER! >_<*

Kurt instantly reacted, kicking back into the man holding him. An "OOF!" followed by a splash and a clatter from the steel rod assured him that the attacker had fallen. In the dark, the Nightcrawler's eyes were better than most humans and some mutants, nearly as good as Logan's own. But even in the black depths of the sewer, darker so due to the time, the best he could make out were dim outlines. Seeing the moonlight glare off the staff and, with a quick and impressive twirl, he had it in his hands pointed at his attacker. "Who are you?" he demanded angrily.

"Whoo!" said the man from the gloom with a chuckle. The accent dripped with Cajun. "Gambit's never been hit...'specially by a Nazi."

"I'm no Nazi," Kurt responded, a little provoked at the obvious cut-low.

"Oh? I thought all Germans were dirty Nazis," said Gambit.

There was a sound not unlike a spark starting and a faint light glowed to reveal the man. He was around six feet, Kurt's height, but only seemed to be around 17 or 18. His straight, brown-as-dirt hair was matted and pulled back into an extensive ponytail. He wore leather pants with tears in the knees, like a kid's jeans from crawling, no shirt accompanied by a vest matching his trousers. Numerous tattoos decorated his arms; The ace of spades on his left wrist, the ace of hearts on his right, along with a purple-and-red explosion on his elbow and a Celtic knot circling his bicep. The vest was studded, glimmering in the light. Consequently, the glow also gave Kurt a perfect view of the man's eyes. Pitch black under pupils as red as freshly spilled blood.

But what really caught Kurt's attention was the card he was holding, the king of diamonds; it seemed to be in flames, but the fire was more violet-pink color and, to add to the abnormality of the situation, it wasn't crumbling into ash. It just burned and burned.

For a moment, it was unsure what either one would do, so stunned were they be the other's appearance. But, being raised in an entire troop of oddballs and misfits, Kurt managed to recover and said, "Some Germans are mutants."

Gambit blinked before regaining his own senses and saying, "Hm. And here I thought you were a girl..."

"A girl?" asked Kurt with more than a little shock. "How'd you figure that?"

"Your voice, homme; it sounds most ladylike. Soft."

"Well, I guess you can see now that I'm male, and I'm no threat to you."

"Gambit's not sure about that yet. What's your name?"

Kurt bowed most gracefully. "Kurt Wagner, but in the Munich Circus, I was known as the Incredible Nightcrawler."

"Hm. Well, I'm Remy LeBeau, Monsieur LeBeau to you, but everyone down here calls me Gambit."

"'Everyone down here?'"

Gambit paused, looking just like the proverbial child caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"Well?"

The other mutant didn't answer but sighed instead. "Gambit's just spitting in the wind, but I'm guessing you're a mutant, Mr. Incredible Nightcrawler, so I guess it's okay to show you." He turned around and, still holding the blazing card for a light to show the way, beckoned Kurt to follow him. A little distrusting but resilient that this "Gambit" was not an enemy, Kurt followed him down the grimy tunnels.

Storm hadn't been expecting the call on the intercom. She flipped the switch to turn it on. "Yes?"

"It's Professor X," was the reply. "I've found him."

All ears were on the little box. "Well?" Logan demanded. "Where is he?!"

"New York. Or, to be more specific, under New York."

"In the sewer? Yech," Kitty sputtered in disgust. "Why'd he go there?"

"I'm not entirely sure, Shadowcat, but I have detected a good number of other mutants near him. You should get there as soon as possible. Xavier out."

Storm turned off the connection and, with a determination that no other could match, pushed the Blackbird ahead.

Gambit and Kurt had been trekking throught the slimy drain for nearly an hour now. The blue mutant's patience was beginning to wear thin. Yet just when he was about to go off and demand to know where they were going, Gambit stopped in front of what appeared to be a closed off pipe drain. Putting a finger to his lips to silent any questions from Kurt, he knocked on the pipe in a melody that Kurt realized was "God Save the Queen."

However, he did not play the last three notes. He paused and the echoes of the song echoed in Kurt's ears. Without warning, someone (or something?) on the other side rang them out. A moment later, the wall opened and allowed them in. Kurt flung up his arm to shield his eyes from the bursting light and when he dared to lower it, his mouth dropped in shock.

It did not lead into another damp, grimy sewer passage like he had expected, but a huge cavern. And inside it were hundreds of tents, small brick shacks, and other kinds of refuges. There were carts of food, clothes, and other things, some in the absolute hundreds; also, various knickknacks filled the entire area, the biggest being a car.

But the items were not alone. Over two hundred people of all different races, ages, sizes and shapes accompanied them. They stared as Gambit led Kurt through the crowd to a raised platform rising above it all. "Callisto!" Gambit called. "Look what I found!"

A woman walked out. It was hard not to stare at the patch over her right eye and the drawn-out scar crossing her left. She was skinny, almost frail, but there was an air to her that made all around her stand straight and pay attention. "Well. I've seen quite a few mutants, but that's a first," she commented in a husky voice that both suit and didn't suit her. "State your name."

Again, Kurt bowed. "Kurt Wagner, fraulein, but in the Munich Circus I was known as the Incredible Nightcrawler."

"Hm. You are the White House assassin, aren't you?"

Kurt frowned up at her, not able to hide his antipathy. "Yes. Yes, I am."

That, for some reason, made her smile. "And you came down here because society, not accepting you before, not absolutely hates and loathes you."

"They already did before. I just gave them another reason, though I did not mean to."

"Are you looking to join the Morlocks?"

"The...Morlocks?"

She waved a graceful hand to the masses behind them. "These are the Morlocks. Mutants shunned by the topsiders simply because they are different."

Kurt turned and noticed for the first time that very, very few of the people did appear normal. One man stood tall with skin as white as glue and no hair on his body at all. A girl next to him had such oversized hands they would have fitted well in a gorilla's paw, but the rest of her was akin to a porcelain doll. Another child was even green! All around him, people had some deformity, some mutation that they could not hide from the world like the other X-Men could.

Callisto smiled. "Welcome, Nightcrawler, to my kingdom. Come with me. Yes, you too Gambit. Let's talk."

-- SheCat.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

omg, i love it!!!

*sniff* the bit with the kitten was really sad, I thought... :(

can't wait for the rest :D
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

The site that was posting this fic is down permenantly; could anyone, ANYONE, please suggest a new home for SotP? :puppy

DO NOT DENY THE PUPPY EYES!!

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

i'm hosting your fic already, but you can try fur and brimstone ...?
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

You're already hosting my story? :ooh

I'm gonna email them today, send them a chap or two, and maybe send in a one piece.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

Originally posted by Siona
yes, dont you remember? :P
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by Nightfollower
Originally posted by Siona
yes, dont you remember? :P
To be honest, no...*visits the site* Oh, YEAH!! :oops I remember now. :blush

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Bamf_Girl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf_Girl »

Oh my goodness! AAAHH!!! I can't beleive I waited so long to read this, I love it and you got my fave charas... the Morlocks! Squee! I love, you must continue, what did Creed have planned for him, gasp! Not the Morlock Massacure! What about Trask! *Takes a deep breath* Whee! I so love this!
I am the Terrible Toad King!
Yes you are!
W'o the 'ell are you?
Your Terrible Toad Queen of course

TOAD FANS UNITE!

*Jumps up and down* I'm OMWOS! If I RP with ya, drop me a line!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Er....what's a "Trask", pray tell Bamf_Girl? I've never heard of that...*needs to look up more on the Morlocks* :X

~Siona

-- SheCat.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Oh my dear God, Siona! This is awesome! I love it!
:love

Still don't get why I waited so long to read it...:

I really love it, no joke! And Creed as the villain is good! And some of my faveys too! You know how to please a gal, don't you!

I didn't even dislike the Kuroro...it was so well written. Keep going!
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit