ATTENTION! Filesize restrictions

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

i have set the forum to accept no files over 40kb. if you are wondering why it says your attachment is too big and wont upload it, shrink or compress it so that it is under 40kb.

i realize this isn't terribly big, but we ARE NOT A WEB HOST! i want to encourage you to use your OWN webspace if at all possible.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Just 40K? Wow, Bamfette, that's *really* small. Isn't there any way to blow that up just a little? Say, to more like 100K? I know that many of my stories, even as text files, tend to be around 80 to 100K, to say nothing of the artwork others put up. And sometimes WinZip just can't compress things very much.

I understand that you want to keep things from bogging down, but I fear that a 40K size may prevent a lot of people from posting their stuff. I don't *have* a site: that's one of the reasons I post things here.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

i based it on the images in my gallery. ever single image in my gallery is around 40k or less, with the odd exception. if i can get them that small, so can everyone else.

you want bigger, you get your own webspace, it is that simple. it is SO EASY to get webspace these days, it really shouldn't be an issue.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

:shame Sorry, Bamfette. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. :shame
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

look, one, this is provided as a courtesey, not a right. do you realize how rare allowing attachments at all is at forums? if you want bigger images, that is your problem. even with filesize restrictions, we offer a hell of a lot more than most comic book discussion forums.

if you have a story to post, quite frankly i would prefer you copy and paste it into the thread itself, save as .txt file rather than a (much larger) .doc file, or if it is really long, convert it to HTML and upload it elsewhere.

two, you know why the attachments were never restored after the hacking? because some attachments were so fucking huge, they corrupted the entire backup file, and it would not upload without errors. the attachment backup was like, 100 megs!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

:shame Bamfette... I was *apologising*. If it came off as a whiny rant, I'll apologize twice: I honestly didn't mean it to sound that way. :shame

I personally have only ever put up a few text files, as was clearly stated in the rules, and none of those three have ever breached 100K. I didn't realize that mucking huge attachments were screwing up attempts to recover the database, and I have never been to any other forums, so I don't know the etiquitte. All I have is "common sense" and "common courtesy" to work with.

Please forgive me if I am stepping on any toes. :shame
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

sorry, i just want people to understand i am not doing this to be mean, i am doing it so for the good of the site, and by extension, for the benefit of everyone. i COULD have just decided to disallow attachments entirely...
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

Okay, I don't think that I use that much kb so I'm fine with it. :) *smiles happily*
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Jill's right. Everyone needs to get their own webspace to host their own pics, etc....I'm planning to.:)
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

meh. if i have pictures i want to show, i just link back to my livejournal or some small webspace thing. i've only ever posted one or two fanfics.

personally, i think 40kb is an okay size. sure its small, but.

i agree with bamf!nightcrawler and i sound like a suck right now :shame:
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal