The Rose & The Violet (Feb Writing Challenge Entry)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

well, Velvet's back!! & there was much rejoicing *yay, yay* {lolz, too much monty python :P}
anywho, here's my latest entry. it features my OC, Tiarah, who is pretty much based on my personality, lol. like always, comments & critiques are very much welcome. i hope you enjoy :D

The Rose & The Violet

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
& so are you...

...but the roses have died
& the violets have wilted
The sugar bowl is empty
& you're empty headed"

Valentine's Day. The day when lover's embrace, relationships begin & marriage is proposed. A day that I never saw light in. Every time Valentine's Day came, I never had a significant other. In school, whenever the kids passed out Valentines were passed out, I never got one. I never knew love & I probably would never experience it either.

As a psychic, I can view the most inner thoughts of human beings. Their secrets are exposed to my mind once I read their thoughts. On Valentine's Day, all I hear is "I love you" & "Will you be mine?” It drives me insane to know that I'll never hear those words spoken for my ears only. Deep inside me, I knew of my lack of love like the back of my hand, but I had a strange feeling brewing in the depths of my heart. What was this feeling?

The feeling was him. The one who I wished for to be my lover, despite my lack of loving experience. His hair was a beautiful raven black with traces of sapphire when the light shone upon his head. His eyes were a sea of sunlight, a rich sea that drowned me when I looked into them. His entire being was perfect in my mind, a masterpiece of the angelic & demonic. For what reason did I become infatuated, I'll never know. One thing was for sure, I was in love with Kurt Wagner.

When Valentine's Day rolled around, I decided to finally spill my heart for him. I wrote letter after letter trying to conjure up the words & courage to give to him on that fateful day that drew nearer & nearer. After several hours of coffee & mental blocks, inspiration formed itself into a poem that went something like this:

Some say that diamonds are forever
While there are diamonds in the rough
Some say roses are God's gift
Although gifts are really never enough

A kiss for a kiss, a heart-felt embrace
Is what some lack in life
A soft caress upon one's cheek
Is enough to end inner strife

Once in a lifetime, one must admit
A failure they brought upon themselves
Mine is the lack of infatuation
That has plagued me like Hell

In all that my heart has to ask of you
Will you be mine for me to hold?
A simple request of my endeavors
To love for eternity, until we grow old

With my signature on the envelope, I sealed my love & waited for the day I once loathed for the majority of my life.

Valentine's Day. The day I broke my cycles & gained enough courage to deliver my message to Kurt. The Institute was buzzing with romance. It was amazing to hear all the thoughts running through everyone's heads. Everything from "I hope she like the roses" to "Where can a guy get some beer around here?" was ringing through my head. However, Kurt's response to my letter was ringing in my heart.

I reached his door, knocked twice, waited for about 5 minutes, knocked again, waited some more, & then gave up. While I was walking away, I bumped into, who else, Kurt! He stood about eye-level & stared at my hands. Picking up my letter, he said in his amazingly accented voice,

"Is zis for me?"

"Um...yes," I answered with a shaky nod.

"Danke fraulein," he said, walking into his room. I could've died right there. Now, I only had to worry about his response.

Alone in my room the next day, I still wondered what Kurt thought of my letter. I didn't want to read his mind because that took all the fun out of the surprise. But I still had an urge to know! Suddenly, a knock rang from my door. I imagined it was one of the younger students asking for help with something, but no. It was Kurt. My heart pumped faster with every second of silence that stood between us. He finally broke the silence with a simple word.

"Hey."

"Hey," I replied.

"I, uh...read your poem," he said with a slightly earnest tone.

"Oh, um...you did?"

"Yeah. I must say, you are qvite ze poet," he said with a smile.

"Thanks," I shrugged.

"So...how long?" he asked.

"Since...um...I don't remember, hehe," I answered nervously.

"Well...um...I'm flattered, honestly, &..." Kurt stuttered with his next statement

"Yes?" I asked. Kurt leaned in closer to me, his soft voice piercing my ears with a soft set of words that will stay with me forever.

"I'd love to be yours," he whispered & sealed with a kiss to the cheek. He stood straight again, walked away & said goodnight.

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
& so are you...

...now the roses are alive
& the violets have proved strong
The sugar bowl is filled to the brim
& our love lasts forever long"

thank you for reading my story/poem/entry :D i hope you enjoyed my story. [Final Word Count: 850]

~Velvet :D

[Edited on 2/19/2010 by BlueVelvet14]

[Edited on 2/19/2010 by BlueVelvet14]
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

His hair was a beautiful raven black with traces of sapphire when the light shone upon his head. His eyes were a sea of sunlight, a rich sea that drowned me when I looked into them.
Okay, you made The Old Broad swoon.
Everything from "I hope she like the roses" to "Where can a guy get some beer around here?"
HAHAHAHAHA! Somehow it's easy to picture who would be saying those things. Very clever addition. Also the contrast of "ringing through my head" and "ringing in my heart." It gave me happy little shudders.

Good to see you hanging around again!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

thanks Eldame!! :D

romances aren't usually my thing, but it was actually very fun to write this & i'm glad you enjoyed it :D