Movie Writing Challenge "Trust"

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Finally decided to write it. Hey, I got almost two months. I can figure it out. It doesn't need to be long.

Kinda new here, this is my first fanfic post...

Questions, comments, and critiques are greatly appreciated!

Here it is
Trust
“Get up, Elf.”

Kurt moaned and rolled over, covering his head with his hands. “It’s not even light out,” he complained.

“C’mon. We got a plane to catch.”

Kurt moaned even more loudly and sat up. “Who gave you permission to come into my room, anyways?” he demanded.

Logan grinned at him. “Slim sent me.”

Kurt harrumphed as he tumbled out of the bed, sheets flying everywhere. “He could’ve at least sent someone slightly more sympathetic.”

Logan shrugged off a comforter that had somehow found its way onto his shoulder. “Get your tail moving, bub.”

“Oh, very original,” Kurt said, digging through his dresser to find shirt that might be somewhat acceptable, “I’ve never heard that one before.”

“Plane leaves in ten minutes, Elf. Whether you’re on it or not.”

Kurt dozed in the back of the plane, head back and mouth wide open. The snores were slight, but loud enough for everyone to hear.

Kitty was shaking with suppressed laughter, Jean was grinning wickedly, Logan had a strange little smirk on his face, and Scott stared straight ahead piloting the airplane, although it was obvious that he was trying not to show his amusement.

“Uh-oh.” Scott leaned forward, and Jean, as co-pilot, looked as well.

“What is it?” Kitty stood up and moved forward to where they were standing.

Scott peered at the readouts for his instruments. “I think—“

Then the airplane snapped in two, tumbling into the sea.

BAMF!

Kurt awoke immediately, teleporting away from the showering debris. His first thought was for his friends. If Kitty was smart, she was phasing, and Logan could take the damage. What about Scott and Jean?

But try as he might, he couldn’t see anybody. From the air he could see a large island in the distance. That was probably his best bet. Any survivors would show up there.

Concentrating, he teleported to the area just above the trees on the island. As he fell, he clutched a tree branch, exhausted from the exertion of teleporting that distance.

Now he had to try and find his friends.

It was most definitely not a tropical island. There was a distinct chill in the air, and the trees were all evergreen, stretching high into the oblivion of the sky. Kurt shivered and wished he had brought a sweater with him.

The beach was his best bet. Luckily, he wasn’t too far from it. He fought through the dark ferns and ground plants and reached the shore that was covered with rocks ranging from the size of marbles to ones as big as baseballs.

Nobody was there, except a couple of sea gulls pecking at an empty crab shell. Kurt shivered and wandered down the beach, hoping to find some kind of sign of where his friends were.

Then he heard splashing, coming from just around the rocky headland. Kurt rushed around it, hoping that someone was there.

It was Logan, dripping wet, minus his shirt, struggling up onto the shore. Kurt teleported down to his friend’s side.

“Elf. You made it.”

Kurt nodded. “You look tired, mein Freund.”

Logan looked around without answering. “Did you see anybody else?”

Kurt shook his head. “No. Did you?”

Logan also shook his head, splattering Kurt with drops of water. “They oughta come here if they survived,” he said.

“That’s what I thought as well.”

“C’mon, Elf. Let’s go look for them.”

That's it so far. Not my best writing ever... I'm just trying to get the story down right now.

[Edited on 8/6/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]

[Edited on 9/20/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I like it so far! Suspense: check. Cute interactions: check, esp Logan being his nonconformist self.

More. Soon. Pleez.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Okay, next little bit... it's not a lot but I'm gonna try to update once every two or three days, to keep the story fresh in my mind.

Night fell. The two friends built a small campfire on the beach, by the edge of the woods. Kurt stared into the fire, mesmerized by the flickering flames. He was tired, he was cold, and he was worried about the others.

On the opposite side of the fire Logan sat, also staring into the flames, the small crease lines of a frown scarring his brow. Kurt glanced up at him just as Logan also looked up, and they stared at each other for a while.

Logan shifted his weight and leaned closer to the fire. “If they survived,” he said, jumping into what he knew was on both of their minds, “They’ll probably be on this island someplace. But I think they must have washed up on one of the beaches on the other end of the island.”

Kurt nodded, listening.

“I think our best bet is to cut through the forest to the other side.”

Kurt shook his head. “That makes no sense. Why don’t we simply follow the beach around the whole island?”

Logan didn’t look at him, staring instead at his own clasped hands. “Because we saw this island from the air. The beach, if we walk the whole way around, will be near a hundred miles long. We ain’t got the time, bub.”

Kurt blinked. “We don’t know where on the island they are,” he argued, “I know it will be a long walk, but we can’t cut through the forest and cut off a part of the beach where they might be sheltered.”

Logan finally looked into Kurt’s eyes. “We also need fresh water and food,” he said, “And the best place to find that is in the forest. If Scott and Jean and Kitty do the smart thing, they’ll head into the woods to find food, shelter, and water, just like we’re gonna do.”

Kurt sighed. “I don’t think it’s a very good idea.”

“It’s our best bet.”

They let the fire die low before sleeping curled up near the glowing coals.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Cool!

If this is your first fanfic, it's pretty darn good for a first attempt. I am impressed. Good job!!
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Yes, technically, this is the first fanfic I've written and posted.

However, I have written other, original stories, before.

I still need some work with fanfic... it's so much fun to use the characters, but sometimes very hard to get good character development with them.

Sorry... I feel like I'm spamming my own post! Gonna shut up now...
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Still enjoying. I'll try to update mine as soon as I figure out a minor detail.

I can tell you must write a lot: your choice of words and descriptions of characters' actions, etc, show a history of refining your work.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

:idea

:D Okay, originally I had no idea where this was going... it was just kinda 'the x-men get stuck on a deserted island out somewhere and kurt and logan battle their way through it.'

But now, I think I'm gonna combine this with an idea I had a looooooong time ago, and the two together should be awesome!!!

(Slaps on floppy hat and large sunglasses, booting up Microsoft Word)

All righty then! Let's get to it!
~Def.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Zippity-do-dah! I feel productive. Lol, not really, but somewhat. Here's the next installment.

“Get up, Elf.”

Kurt groaned. He was stiff and sore from sleeping on the hard ground—an unusual feeling for him, with his flexibility and athletic prowess. And he was freezing, too; it was hardly dawn.

“What, Logan?” he snapped, “What is it now?”

Logan stood over him, appearing perfectly happy, even though he didn’t have a shirt on. Kurt figured either he was bluffing, or his mutant healing factor made him impervious to the cold. It was the only possible explanation for the fact that the shirtless man who’d slept with his bare skin to the air was not nearly as cold as the guy covered in blue fur.

Logan didn’t answer Kurt, but lent him a hand, helping him to his feet. Kurt spent a few minutes massaging the tips of his ears and tail, which had gone quite numb from cold.

“Why this early?” Kurt complained, “We’re on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean. We’ve got all the time in the world!”

Logan grinned. “C’mon, Elf. Let’s get going.” He turned briskly and marched off into the trees.

Kurt sighed and trudged after him.

“Those claws are kind of like having a machete, aren’t they?”

Logan paused in his thrashing of dense foliage to look upwards and glare at Kurt, dangling happily from the branch of an enormous conifer. Kurt grinned, feeling slightly more back to his old self.

“If you wanna make yourself useful, Elf,” Logan said, “Climb up to the top of that sucker and see if there’s a freshwater source anywhere near us.”

Kurt bounded up the tree until he was as high as it could support his body wait. He peered out, like a pirate in the crow’s nest. “Lake, ho!” he called out.

“Which way?” Logan shouted up at him.

Kurt pointed the correct direction and then teleported to the spot, listening to the sounds of Logan crashing his way through the undergrowth.

Finally, he turned up on the shore of the lake. Well, perhaps “lake” was a misnomer. It was really more of a glorified pond, not very big but probably pretty deep.

Logan sniffed the water. “Smells clean,” he said, getting a little bit closer. “Well, clean for a pond in the middle of nowhere.” He bent over, scooping the water up with his hands and drinking.

Kurt knelt down by the edge of the pond and leaned all the way over, lapping up water like a dog. Suddenly, Logan lifted his head, sniffing.

“Was?” Kurt asked, watching Logan’s eyes shift around.

“There’s someone here,” Logan muttered, still trying to pinpoint the source.

“One of the others?” Kurt asked, hopeful, but assuming from Logan’s expression that it was not so.

“Nah. Strangers. Boy and a girl. Pretty little.”

Kurt eased into a crouching position, relaxed, but ready to spring into a fight at a moment’s notice. “Can you see them?” he asked.

“I think they’re over there someplace,” Logan said, indicating the spot with a nod of his head. “What the hell are two kids doing here?”

Kurt shook his head. “Perhaps they are lost as well.”

Logan got to his feet, keeping his body low to the ground. “Let’s go find out,” he said.
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Loved this part: [quote]“If you wanna make yourself useful, Elf,” Logan said, “Climb up to the top of that sucker and see if there’s a freshwater source anywhere near us.”

Kurt bounded up the tree until he was as high as it could support his body wait. He peered out, like a pirate in the crow’s nest. “Lake, ho!” he called out.

“Which way?” Logan shouted up at him.

Kurt pointed the correct direction and then teleported to the spot, listening to the sounds of Logan crashing his way through the undergrowth.
[/quote]

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Well, you know that if it's gonna be a Nightcrawler movie, it's gotta have a pirate tribute in it!

;)
~Def.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:Well, you know that if it's gonna be a Nightcrawler movie, it's gotta have a pirate tribute in it!

;)
Amen.

Anyway, I like this. I mean really like this. But don't put too much stock in my opinion on this particular, Def. I usually don't devil too deep in fanfics. I was intrigued, however, and so far I'm a fan of it. You don't seem to push the characters and use all the traits overly. It's nice, very well done.
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys!

Here's another bit.

Kurt could hear them now as well, two very young voices laughing and talking in a language he didn’t understand. For some reason, it made him think of the circus, with children from all over Europe thrown together, each one speaking his or her own language.

They saw the children long before they were seen. Kurt got an excellent view of them from high up in the trees.

They were both young, with dark skin and long black hair. The clothes they were wearing looked like brown leather. The girl had her hair in pigtails but the boy’s hair was loose and flowing.

They both had large clay jars painted with intricate designs. Kurt guessed they were going to the lake to fill them up.

Kurt looked at Logan, the question of what to do written in his face. Logan indicated with a few gestures that they would follow the children, but not allow them to know they were being followed. Kurt was glad of that. So many people reacted so strangely to them.

As the children set off through the forest, their jugs full of water, Logan and Kurt followed.

Kurt was flipping stealthily from tree to tree when he heard the screams. In an instant, he teleported to a vantage point where he could see the children they were following.

They were being attacked by something that looked a little like a cross between a chicken and a dinosaur; its sharp teeth snapping and the claws on its forelimbs were digging into the boy’s shoulders. The two water jugs were shattered on the ground, forgotten.

Kurt didn’t even need to look at Logan. He teleported directly in front of the creature’s eyes, hoping to confuse it. The creature stumbled backwards, its eyes watering.

Logan was there in the next second, neatly cutting those vicious claws in two. The creature roared and shrieked, stumbling backwards.

Kurt again teleported in its eyes and the creature shut them, turning and running away as fast as it could, blindly bumping into trees.

Logan made as if to go after it, but Kurt put out a hand to stop him.

The girl was holding the boy’s head in her arms. He didn’t look too badly hurt, he had some deep scratches, but he was conscious.

The children were staring at him and Logan. Kurt suddenly wanted to teleport away, knowing that his appearance would frighten them.

But the girl just looked at them and asked a question. Logan and Kurt looked at each other. Neither of them understood.

Logan shook his head and crouched down so he was on her level. “I don’t understand you,” he said.

She repeated the question, and again Logan shook his head. “We don’t understand.”

The girl seemed to understand the second time, and she stood up, pointed to herself and then to them, then to the boy on the ground, and then off into the trees. Kurt and Logan thought they understood them message.

“I’ll carry him,” Logan said, scooping the boy up into his arms.

Kurt was ready to trail along behind him, expecting the children to be frightened by his nightmarish appearance.

Instead, to his astonishment, the girl walked forward and took his hand, smiling and saying something to him. His blue, three-fingered hand wrapped inside of her small brown one, she led them through the trees.

Hey guys, any title ideas for me? I've drawn a blank.

[Edited on 8/8/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]

[Edited on 8/8/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Lost Island?

The Island Adventure?

Kurt has had a few adventures on islands. I can think of at least three right off the bat: on Krakoa in Uncanny, with the Japanese lady in the Classic X-Men series, and with the son of Krakoa in the Excalibur series. Kurt and island adventure are a good mix.

[Edited on 8/8/09 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Well... islands are a good way of doing solo stories. Plus, islands are generally a lot of fun!

Every story has been told before... the only difference is the way you tell it!

I don't know about the titles... It's going to take a while for me to really find one that clicks. I either know the title right off the bat, or I never find one that really works.

Anyhoo, here's the next bit.

Kurt almost dropped her hand when he saw where she was leading him.

It was a village in a forest, a village full of people going about their everyday lives. The girl called out what sounded like a name and ran forward, dragging Kurt along behind her. He braced himself for the screams, fear, and anger that were sure to follow.

People swarmed forward, a man was patting her all over, asking questions, and a woman went straight up to Logan, taking the boy from his arms. There was madness and confusion, and Kurt felt completely lost—more so than he had ever been in his life, even considering all the alien planets he’d been to.

Logan placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. Kurt was suddenly very grateful that his friend was there, and looked over his shoulder at him. But he was still tense, waiting for the villagers to scream and attack him.

The two children had disappeared—hopefully to wherever their healer was. Now there was no point of reference, and Kurt was wishing he’d dropped the girl’s hand and stayed behind in the trees. There was no image inducer to protect him now.

Every person’s eye was looking his direction, but after a few minutes, he realized that they weren’t watching him… they were staring at Logan.

Quiet descended on the little clearing, and an impasse quickly formed, Kurt and Logan on one side of a cultural abyss, the villagers on the other.

The man who had first come to them and the girl pulled back a curtain to one of the houses, entering the clearing. His eyes quickly sought out the two strangers, and he walked forward, the first to cross that imposing ravine.

He took Kurt’s hand, just as trustingly as the girl had, and he beckoned the two of them to follow him. Kurt looked over his shoulder at Logan. Logan nodded slightly, and the two of them followed the man to an old hut at the far end of the clearing.

Kurt felt as though every eye was upon him, but the more he looked at the people, the more he realized that his first impression was right—all of them, especially the younger ones, were staring at Logan. What was so odd about him that he was stranger than a blue, furry, tail-wielding mutant with three fingers on each hand?

When they reached the hut, the man called something out. There was a grumpy-sounding answer from inside, and the man smiled, throwing aside the curtain and leading them in.

~Def.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

How about a little more for y'all?

Kurt looked around at the dimly lit interior of the hut. There was a very old many on a bed of cushions. He was ancient and wrinkly, with a long white beard and even longer white hair. Logan stepped inside as well. The old man sat up and glared at them.

With a word, the old man sent the younger man away, and Kurt stared at him, wondering how on earth they were going to communicate.

Then a little voice entered his head. Don’t worry about us speaking, son, I’ve got it all under control.

Kurt staggered backward. The old man grinned and beckoned him forward. No need to be afraid. Tell your friend to release his mind-blocks; otherwise it will be extremely hard to communicate.

Kurt shook his head. “I have no reason to trust you,” he said.

Logan glanced at him, looking ready to unsheathe his claws. “That creep messing around in your head, too?” he demanded.

Kurt nodded, then felt the gentle voice again. No reason to trust me? My grandchildren had no reason to trust you when you saved their lives, and yet little Sunwilla took you straight to our village. Return to me the same sort of trust she had in you.

Kurt thought for a minute, and then finally nodded. “Logan, stop fighting,” he said, “I think we can trust this man.”

Logan growled, but then the man’s voice once more broke into Kurt’s thoughts. Thank you, friends. Both for allowing me into your minds and for rescuing my grandchildren, Sunwilla and Korin.

Logan looked up at him. “Where the heck are we? And more importantly, how can we get home?”

The man suddenly looked troubled. Your minds indicate a far vaster world than any I have ever encountered before, he said, and I am afraid that I cannot help you return.
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Better find some women and settle down, then.

Oh, wait, that's not exactly a recipe for good fiction.

Carry on, Def dearie.

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Elfdame wrote:Better find some women and settle down, then.
ROFL! giggle giggle giggle *HICCUP*

Sorry, this sent me into hysterics.

You forget though, they still gotta find Kitty, Scott, and Jean. Are they alive? Are they dead? Have they washed ashore on another island? Did they get transported into an alternate universe? Did Jean end up needing dear old Phoenix? Why does everybody keep staring at Logan, but not at Kurt?

Lol... answers to all these questions, and more coming... sometime before Sept. 30!!!
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Slight correction, Deffy dear:
OK, the challenge deadline is officially extended to WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2009. So, that gives you a little more than a month and a half to write out and submit your entries! The poll to vote for the winning entry will be open between SEPTEMBER 17-30, and then a new challenge will begin for October.
Get crackin'. And, really, if you were Logan and Kurt and found out you were stranded somewhere, would you waste time looking for several perfectly self-sufficient folks, or grab a broad and start a family?

I rest my case. *snicker*

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All right, all right, I'm cracking. Question number one being answered. Also, the idea of where the heck the timeline is going is totally out the window. So basically... Jean's alive, but it's after M-day.

And btw, Sept. 17 is before Sept. 30!

Here we go....

Come, the old man insisted, I will show you around the village. My name is Nishil.

Kurt walked alongside the man as they went out. He watched the villagers when they went by. They were no longer staring at Logan, but they kept sneaking glances at him from the sides.

Logan had apparently noticed, too, because he said, “Why is everybody looking at me so funny?”

Nishil looked very flustered. I am very sorry. My people know better, they do not usually stare at strangers. But your appearance must seem to them very odd.

“My appearance?” Logan glanced at Kurt. Kurt felt the look and stuck his tongue out at his friend.

In all my long years, Nishil told them, I have never met someone with skin as pale as yours. It is the same color as what is beneath a bird’s feathers. I know it is very wrong to stare at you, but my people cannot help it. You look so alien in this land.

Logan raised his eyebrows and stopped. “Now, hang on a minute here,” he said, “You mean that I’m strange because I have pale skin? Then why aren’t they all staring at Kurt, too?”

Nishil glanced at Kurt, then back to Logan. He is not that unusual. Nishil said simply, He is only blue.

“He’s got a tail and pointy ears and teeth too!” Logan said, as though trying to make Kurt seem strange, “Are you telling me that he is less unusual than I am?”

Let us keep walking, Nishil said, leading them along. Then he began to explain. We had many people in our community who were like Kurt. Perhaps not exactly like him, but we had many who were blue, and many who were furry, and many with tails. They had special abilities, things that we cherished and came to rely on.

Then a few years ago, nearly all of them lost those abilities. I am the only one left on the island. It was awful for us all.

Kurt stopped. “You had mutants on the island?” he asked.

Nishil looked at them. Yes. I think that is your word for our Great Helpers.
~Def.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Short installment this time... gotta clean my room so that we can move out my old beds and put in a new queen size!

Kurt looked over his shoulder at Logan. He wanted to explore this, to understand more about a society that was exactly as they had always dreamed: a place where mutants didn’t need to hide in fear, but were accepted for who and what they were.

Logan shook his head. Not now. Instead, he turned to Nishil and said, “We have some friends who were with us. Could they be somewhere on the island?”

Nishil nodded. There is a stretch of coast not too far from here. The sea causes things to wash up there. If they are on the island, that would be the first place I would look.

Kurt glanced back at Logan. “Come on, then,” he said, “What are we waiting for?”
~Def.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sorry about the wait, guys, here's the next installment. Another question (well, part of it anyways) answered!

They broke through the trees and were standing on a similar rocky shore. However, this was built like a small, shallow cove, and all kinds of driftwood, seaweed, and other kinds of refuse were floating on it.

Everything strange turns up here, Nishil said, smiling at them. Except you two.

Kurt wasn’t listening. He ran down the beach almost on all fours, knowing he could go faster that way. Logan was beside him, but not as fast. Soon Kurt had a huge lead on Logan, desperate as he was to reach the sodden figure that lay in the water.

Kurt shifted to run upright as he went splashed through the shallow water. Kitty’s hair was soaked, swirling in the water, intertwined with strands of seaweed. He bent down and lifted her head out of the water just as Logan caught up.

Kitty coughed violently, spitting up seawater. Kurt moved his hands to support her neck and back as she coughed. She was shivering—Kurt thought back to last night and shuddered to think that she had slept in the freezing cold water. She probably had hypothermia. But at least she was alive; at least she was able to cough.

Logan knelt beside her in the water. “C’mon,” he said, “Let’s get her back to the village. They’ll have people who can help her there.”

Kurt gently picked her up in his arms, like a baby, leaning her head against his shoulder. Kitty hadn’t apparently regained consciousness, but in an involuntary and instinctual movement, she curled into the warmth of his body, shivering. Kurt stroked her hair, wishing he could tell her it would be all right.

Logan offered a hand but Kurt refused it, carrying Kitty up the beach and back home all on his own.
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Keep it comin', kiddo.

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Here it comes:

Kurt set Kitty down inside the hut. Someone started up a blazing fire, and another person brought a blanket. Kurt wrapped the thick fabric around Kitty’s shoulders, gently rubbing them, trying to get her warm. Her lips, he could see, were blue, and her fingers were cold and stiff. He just hoped they could counteract the hypothermia in time.

Kitty coughed again and awoke. Her eyes flew to Kurt’s face. “Oh, you’re here,” she said, smiling. Then she shivered violently. “I’m so cold.”

“Let’s get these wet things off of you,” Kurt suggested.

Nishil nodded from the door of the hut. I’ll have some of the women bring in fresh clothes for her.

Kurt gently helped Kitty take off her wet jacket, laying it by the fire. Two of the village women came in, carrying clothing for her. He felt her fingers. They were still cold, but she could flex them. The women began to help Kitty take her shirt off.

“Are you comfortable with me staying here?” Kurt asked, getting ready to leave and give her some privacy.

“No, Fuzzy Elf,” Kitty said, “I don’t want you to leave.”

So he sat beside her as she got on some clean, dry clothes. Kurt encouraged her to huddle closer to the fire.

Kurt stood up. “I think you need some food, Kätzchen,” he said, “I’ll go get some for you, and then I’ll be right back, okay?”

Kitty nodded, and Kurt worried about her apathy and childishness. Those were symptoms of hypothermia as well. He exited the hut.

Logan was waiting outside, leaning against the doorframe. “How’s she doing?” he asked.

“I think she’ll be okay,” Kurt said, “But I think you should go in and talk with her. Just talk. Don’t let her fall asleep. Keep her conscious.”

Logan nodded and went straight into the hut. Kurt went to ask Nishil for some high calorie foods so that they could elevate Kitty’s core temperature.
~Def.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I am now back from vacation to sunny (and smoky) California and I before I head off to bed I thought I'd leave you guys a little tidbit to see what's to come in this story....

Kurt smiled as Kitty swallowed the last gulp of food. “Feeling better now, Kätzchen?” he asked.

Kitty grinned and nodded. “Yeah. Thanks.”

Suddenly Nishil’s telepathic voice filtered through their heads. I hope you haven’t eaten too much. The village is holding a feast in your honor. It will be a grand gathering.

Logan, Kurt, and Kitty all looked at each other. “Great,” Logan said.
~Def.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Feasts are fun!

The three of them walked slowly into the center of the village. A long, low table had been set up, filled with all sorts of food. Nishil spread open his arms as he walked toward them.

Welcome, he said, We are honored to have you eat with us. I will use my telepathy to give you and my people instant translation, so that you may talk to one another.

Logan, Kitty and Kurt sat down by the long table. Food was quickly passed down to them—exotic looking dishes that were extremely tasty. Kurt found himself seated next to a beautiful young woman who seemed interested in having him try everything there was to eat.

Kurt couldn’t help but stare at her hair. It touched the floor when she stood up, black as space, pulled back into a ponytail. But the things that interested him the most were the two decorative feathers she wore behind each ear. One was sky blue, the other a pale gray, and they were nearly two feet long.

“What’s your name?” Kurt asked her.

“I am Lalula,” she said, “And you are Kurt.”

Kurt nodded. “Yes.” Finally he couldn’t help his curiosity. “Those feathers in your hair,” he said, “They’re beautiful. Where did you get them?”

Lalula fingered the blue one. “They are mine,” she said, “Before the day everyone lost their talents, I had wings, blue on the top and pale gray on the bottom. I used my molted feathers as decorations. But when we lost our talents, my wings suddenly stopped working. It was as though I had broken them, but I felt no pain. Then one day, my right wing simply fell off, leaving a patch of new skin behind. We pulled my left wing off not long afterward.”

Kurt was astonished. “What did you do with them?” he asked.

Lalula smiled sadly. “My mother and I bathed them in a special resin that will preserve them for a very long time. When I die, they will burn with me on the funeral pyre.”

Kurt turned away from her, and saw a young man on the other side of the table watching them closely.

“I was a Great Helper, too,” he declared, “I had thick orange fur and a cat’s tail. I could run very fast, I could jump very far, and I could balance on the narrowest limbs. But I lost my tail much the way Lalula lost her wings, and my fur simply fell out.”

An older woman leaned over the table to speak to him as well. “I could summon the waters to my aid whenever I wished. Now I have lost that, and my husband as well.”

“What happened to your husband?” Kurt asked.

“He had been wounded, and I had used my power to heal him. When I lost it, he died.” Her eyes were filled with tears.

As Kurt listened more and more, he realized that these people truly enjoyed their powers, and that they were extremely upset to have lost them. Brothers and sisters and parents of the once-mutants were comforting and caring. No one, it seemed, had wanted any of them to lose their power. This tiny village on this little island housed the mutant utopia they had always dreamed of.

Finally, Kurt could stand the sad stories no more. He excused himself and left, taking a quiet walk through the woods.
~Def.