The FV&TTT Valentine's/St. Patrick's Day/April Fools Writing

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone, and welcome to a shiny new edition of the Nightscrawlers FV&TTT Valentine’s/St. Patrick’s Day/April Fools Writing Challenge! :wave

Love is a blinding force, but also a revealing one. Through the eyes of love, differences in religion and race can open a couple’s minds to new cultures and new ways of looking at the world. Unfortunately, the rest of the world, lacking the focusing influence of love’s blinders, is rarely so tolerant.

For this challenge, you get to play matchmaker in the complicated and, often, violent world of the X-Men. Drawing from the dating pool of the canon X-Men and/or their myriad enemies, arrange a date between two opposites. Then, in a short story of 10 pages or less, drop your unlikely couple into a situation where their differences will be challenged or tested. Will your story be a triumph of love and the human spirit, or will your couple’s love story end in a cruel outbreak of violence and tragedy? Their fate of their hearts is in your hands. :love

Although at least one member of your arranged couple must be a canon X-Men character, the other can be an original creation. You can have human/mutant pairings, mutant/alien pairings, pairings that match an Earth 616 character with someone from an alternate universe or an alternate universe character (like Kurt Darkholme, for example) matched with, say, a pacifist Revolutionary War-era Quaker from our own reality—literally anything goes!

The theme and main conflict of your story are entirely up to you, but if you want to build your tale around Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, or April Fools Day that’d be great. ;)

The new, extended Deadline for this Valentine’s/St. Patrick’s Day/April Fools Challenge will be Sunday, April 26, 2009. That will be the last day entries will be accepted. All entries must be in at or before midnight that night. After that, the poll will open and you’ll get the chance to vote for your favorite story! :D

I hope you like this new challenge! Best of luck, everyone! :D

:bamf

[Edited on 27/3/2009 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

:shifty

:logan & :sabertooth ?

This one sounds fun!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Jean Gray and Neil Patrick Harris. Oh yeah...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Bob, I am worried about you. (jk)
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

He wants to play Doctor... (Dr. Horrible or Doogie Houser MD, take your pick)

Actually I was thinking about one with Deadpool.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

The FV&TTT Valentine's/St. Patrick's Day/April Fools Writing Challenge (Feb.-April)!!!

Post by Elfdame »

Still worried about your fixations, darling. (still kidding, too)
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Lolz, I like the idea of actually using Doctor Horrible! XD

Crack pairings FTW!
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

yeah... he's my hero. In case you haven't heard of him: http://www.drhorrible.com
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I think I will enter this. :computer
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Less than a month, peeps. Get to work crankin' 'em out.

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I have a solid idea, but I'm not sure. I've never written a non-Nighty fanfic...

That's right. My fic won't be Nightcrawler and some chick. It will be the Deadpool story everyone wants to hear! But all I have is a skeleton right now. I need to put some meat on them bones.

Hopefully I'll write it.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:Less than a month, peeps. Get to work crankin' 'em out.
I been "crankin' "

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Man, I wanna write it, but I haven't the time nor drive. I'll post a stupid rough draft though. I think...
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

I could extend the deadline another month to April 26 and include April Fools Day in the challenge. If you think that'd give you the time you need to finish up your story, let me know and I'll make the changes! :)

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Considering no one else has written one as well, I suppose that couldn't hurt...
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

That would be nice. I just haven't had the time.

Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

True. I'm not good at writing romances, because it's true in a way that you can only write what you know. Hope everyone's having an awesome Spring Break!
"I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know." -J.R.R. Tolkein
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

...it's true in a way that you can only write what you know.
Or, what you imagine. I mean, who really knows about the complexities of Klingon-Romulan relations or the genetics behind fuzzy blue teleporters anyway? ;) Write what you want to write and what you feel is fun, no limits. I stink at romances too, but I've written them because I'm no good at them, and I learned a lot by writing them. Also, if you really don't like the romance genre in general, you can always turn it on its head with something really ridiculous and funny. Love stories and stories about testing and challenging differences don't have to be serious and angsty. They can be an opportunity to play!

The changes have been made and the Challenge Deadline has been extended to Sunday, April 26. Thanks very much for your interest in this challenge, everyone, and I can't wait to read what you come up with! :D :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

The FV&TTT Valentine's/St. Patrick's Day/April Fools Writing Challenge (Feb.-April)!!!

Post by Elfdame »

I say to those of you with time and inclination: GO FOR IT! I've got tens of thousands of words written (no hyperbole, actual word-count-wise) in my fanfic romance, and it's been great fun. And I am TOTALLY not romantic. As far as I can tell, the parameters of the Challenge are "Drawing from the dating pool of the canon X-Men and/or their myriad enemies, arrange a date between two opposites. Then, in a short story of 10 pages or less, drop your unlikely couple into a situation where their differences will be challenged or tested," so they could be going on the date as a dare or a way to upset someone or as a cover story to get into the Hellfire Club, etc. And no romantic stuff a-tall.

I look forward to reading what you guys come up with. Rough drafts included.

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Great... now I have no excuse for not writing... lol
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone!

Just a reminder:
The new, extended Deadline for this Valentine’s/St. Patrick’s Day/April Fools Challenge will be Sunday, April 26, 2009.
So, if you were planning on submitting an entry, you've got 9 days left to polish it up and post it.

If you really wanted to enter and you've got a story nearly ready but you just haven't had time to work on it, let me know and I'll extend the deadline again. However, if this challenge no longer leaves you interested or inspired, let me know that too and I'll put up a new challenge after the deadline passes. Either way, you've got nine days to go. :)

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

*cracks knuckles*

Okay.... let's do this. :cracked
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

*cracks knuckles, too*

OUCH! That hurt. I think I broke my knuckles.

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I've started. Just been busy. I hope to finish tonight...
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Romance isn't really my forte, but I finally finished cracking my knuckles and crankin' out my story. It has kissing and love in it, so technically, it's a romance.