Holiday Writing Challenge: Genetic Design for Dying

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Okay, so I had planned on finishing this up tonight, but it looks like that's not going to happen. I've been feeling sick all day, and I think I'm just going to do homework and go back to bed. I figured I'd just post what I have done though.

The title is from this song by Aiden.

--

Rachel brushed her hair out of her face, the wind whipping the red strands back to their previous position. Giving up on keeping her hair out of her eyes, she went back to blankly staring at the ground for a few moments before her eyes raked over the engraved letters once more. Her gaze went back the ground.

She didn't need to read the words to know what they said. The first time was enough.

Rachel had lost count of how many times she'd read what the slab of stone said and how long she'd been sitting in the snow, motionless. The numbness had pretty much taken over, physically and mentally. Her mind was no longer processing what she read, and she couldn't feel the cold biting into her skin anymore. Both were probably good things. Well, the not thinking aspect of it anyway.

Jean Grey-Summers. She Will Rise Again.

She read the words over for what seemed like the thousandth time. A lump formed in her throat, and the tears stinging her eyes were probably the first thing she'd felt in over an hour. Rachel didn't even try to hold them back as she pulled a hand out of her pocket, reaching out to run her fingers over the cool stone.

Snow crunching caused Rachel to pull her hand away from the tombstone, the movement slow and jerky due to her stiff joints. Reaching out with her mind, she felt for the presence. Her lips twisted into a frown once she figured out who it was.

Cyclops. Scott. Her father. Not exactly the person she wanted to see at the moment.

As Scott approached, Rachel sucked in a deep breath, sniffling slightly. Why would he want to be anywhere near her? She was the reason her family and half of his was gone, slaughtered by the Shi'ar.

The death mark on her back was proof of that.

She scowled at the memory of how she'd failed everyone, raising her gaze to the letters again. She'd never been as good as her mother. Her mother would've been able to save her family. Fresh tears slid down her cheeks, burning her freezing skin.

“Shouldn't you be having fun at the holiday party they have going on?”

“I could ask you the same thing.” Rachel opened her mouth, closed it, and chewed on her lip in thought. Eventually, she decided it was better to just leave it at that.

Scott stood off to the side, watching the girl through red lenses. He hadn't expected anyone to be out here, let alone his... daughter. He looked between her and the gravestone, “She'd be proud of you.”

Rachel frowned and turned her gaze from the ground to the grave again, resisting letting out a bitter sound. Proud of her? Yeah, right. She schooled her face and looked up at him out of the corners of her eyes, “Thanks.”

“You're welcome,” Scott crossed his arms, “How long have you been out here?”

Pushing herself off the ground, Rachel stood up to face him and wrapped her arms around herself, “Long enough.” There really wasn't any point for her to be sitting out in the cold, brooding. It wasn't going to bring anyone back. She tried to force the lump in her throat away again, but it was about as persistent as the wind, which was still blowing her hair into her face.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Wow.

That was way deep for what is sort of short. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, it's very Hemmingway/MacCarthay of you. Lot of emotion in just a little text. This is an impressive piece Tears. Good job!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Despite what you said at the beginning, this story does feel complete. The imagery in this story is very strong, and I particularly liked your ending line. Very poignant. Great story! Thanks so much for entering! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei