2 quick questions re: bamfing and earth timelines

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

(1) I realize that, after a year of reading and watching Nightcrawler stuff, I should know this, but when he teleports, there is that implosion sound and violet (aubergine for the discriminating fan) sulphurous cloud ... but when he lands in his destination, is there an accompanying sound or scent or sight? Or does he not have that effect where he ends up? This should be obvious, but despite having read _The Science Of The X-men_, I still don't completely have the 'porting parameters wrapped around my brain.

(2) Is there a canon earth timeline 1090? I'd like to use that to designate my AU so that I can remember it (it's the birthday of one of my grands), but not if it's referenced in any Marvel (or, for that matter, know fanfic) works.

(3) Okay, I tacked on one more, ha ha. I looked up "fractal" on marvel.com and found some character, but would it be plagiarism to keep inventing my OC, Fractyl, who seems totally nothing like this bad guy? His (or her -- I keep changing my mind) powers and looks and personality are NOTHING like the short blurb I found regarding this energy being. Opinions as to what course I should take: keep at it or abandon ship?

Thanks!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Kurt’s bamf goes both ways, though in the art there generally seems to be less of it when he reappears. The explanation is that he goes through an alternate dimension when he teleports, and that cloud and smell is a bit of the atmosphere of that dimension which displaces his own mass. So, it makes sense (well, in the comic book science sense) that when he comes back, there’s just a bit of it that’s clinging to him instead of a cloud proportional to his own air displacement. The sound happens both when he disappears and reappears and seems to be the same.

Though I’ve never heard of it, there is apparently an Earth 1090 in Marvel canon. http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Earth-1090

I wouldn’t worry about the name. Characters have similar (or just plain the same) names all the time. And it doesn’t seem to be a major character to have to worry about confusion.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Thanks!

Well, crud. Better choose another grandkid's birthday (what the heck; there are 8 more but I don't remember all the years too well...) and try again.

So, if my OC is in her house and Kurt jaunts from the mansion to a different room from the one where she is, she might detect a small odor and hear a muffled noise, right? Because I've always wondered how he thinks he can be stealthy if anyone can hear and smell his entrance.

Also, in Evo they did "Middleverse" and showed the place where he goes. Is there any counterpart to that either in the comics or in novels?

I appreciate the help I get here. I have a few more questions but first I need to get more of the fic posted.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Kurt's Bamf is the air rushing into the now empty space. On the other side when he appears he just materializes. That means there should be no sound, but smell of brimstone (from that other dimension). The materializing doesn't move the surrounding air (or water, it seems) which is why part of his character in the past also was being afraid to teleport into something solid and kind of melting into it.

In short: he's quite stealthily, remember, the smell is the weakest sense humans have :shifty

About middleverse: During the Draco him and a few others actually visited the dimension he teleports through, the same place his father lives in (kinda complicated). Always since then this arc hasn't ever been mentioned again, may it be because the fan resonance was negative or simply because of the increasing reluctance of writers to actually add Nightcrawler into their plots, and nowadays is generally seen as having been retconned.

Finally: I'd say you should use 1337 as the number for your marvelverse :shifty
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Thanks. Makes sense. And I don't have him with a nonhuman father, so might have to make up my own idea for Where He Shortcuts To.

Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Just remember the brimstone :cracked
:freak :andreas They're fighting!