ON THE THRESHOLD, THE 2008 HALLOWEEN WRITING CHALLENGE

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

ON THE THRESHOLD

BY NELING4

Consciousness returned to Kurt slowly. Logan had been driving way too fast. He had rounded the curve and the semi had been there, too close to avoid, too quick for Kurt to teleport. They had crashed. Gasoline and oil had spilled out onto the highway. Kurt remembered hitting his head on some solid surface, perhaps the road, perhaps the side of the semi. His head seemed to explode, then…nothing.

The pain was gone. Kurt felt calm and peaceful. Hank must have worked his medical magic well, thought Kurt. He could hear Hank, and Scott and Emma too. They were talking in whispers. He opened his eyes.

He saw himself, lying on the blood-stained gurney.

His body was badly mangled and burned. Kurt gazed down at the terrible sight on the bed, and wondered why he did not feel shocked. On the contrary, he felt detached, aloof.

The world was fading away. He was floating upwards through a dark and empty tunnel. At the end of the tunnel, was a blindingly bright light.

“It is my time.” he thought.

But his way was blocked.

He was no longer alone. Could it be Him? The figure blocked his way into the light. It was dark and menacing.

“Stefan?”

“It ain’t your time, Elf.” growled the figure between Kurt and the light. “I ain’t going to let you go.”

“Logan?”

“You ain’t going.”

“I’m sorry Logan, but it is my time. I have to go.”

“No.” Logan's voice was dangerously calm, and determined.

Kurt felt desperate. He was eager to go. He did not want to return to the pain that was his body. But Logan was blocking his way and he could not get around him.

“Let me go, Logan.” he pleaded.

“I ain’t budging.” Logan growled.

Logan crouched menacingly before the tunnel of light. Kurt could see the light gleaming on Logan’s claws.

“How are you here, Logan? Did you die too?”

“No. I ain’t dead. Neither are you. Not yet. Emma got into your mind, and she got into mine. She brought me here, to the Threshold, so I could stop you. I’ve lost too many people I care about, Elf, and I ain’t going to lose you too. Not yet. It ain’t your time. I’m here to make sure you come back.” Logan shifted, as if readying for a fight.

“How do you know that, Logan? How do you know that it isn’t my time?
You saw my body, Logan. Do you really want to keep me here…like that?”

Logan hesitated before he answered,

“I ain’t gonna lose you.”

Kurt sighed, “Logan, I’m sorry, but you are always going to lose someone. You are almost invulnerable, nearly immortal. You will live for a long time, and you will lose many friends. I know I am not the first, and I will not be the last.”

Kurt knew that what he had said was cruel, however, his words only seemed strengthen Logan’s resolve. Kurt tried again,

“How can you keep me here, knowing what my life could be like if I live?” Kurt said.

“I don’t care.” said Logan, fiercely. “I ain’t going to lose you. I ain’t going to let you die.”

Kurt was touched by the intense love and loyalty of his friend, but he wanted to pass.

“My injuries are severe, Logan.”

“You’re a mutant, Kurt. You heal better and quicker than a normal human.”

“Not this time, Logan. Even Hank can not heal injuries like that.”

“He can. He only needs time. I’m giving him time. If he can't, there are mutant healers.”

“I don't know if even they could heal me Logan. Even if they could, it might take years.”

“We got time.”

Kurt thought of the incredible pain he would endure, if he returned to his broken body. He felt tired. He wanted to rest.

“Logan. I want to die.” he said softly.

Logan’s shoulders sagged. Kurt saw the defeat in his friend’s eyes. Logan dropped his fists and turned away. Kurt looked to the light, no longer blocked to him, eager to pass through.

Yet…somehow, it did not seem so appealing any more. The light at the end of the tunnel was fading. Kurt looked back at Logan, at the misery, the loneliness and despair of his friend, and he knew that he would, after all, return to his body. If Jesus could bear pain and suffering for all of mankind, surely he could do as much for his friend.

Heaven would always be there, and he hoped there would be a place for him...one day. But for now, he could wait.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oooooooooooh, that was bee-you-tee-ful! It'll be hard to decide which one to vote for! You are the Monarch Of Poignant Crawlage! Well, you and Saint Kurt.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Thank you Elfdame! :)
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010