Summer Writing Challenge: Shadow Play

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

Okay, here is my story. It sucks.

Shadow Play

Sirens were blaring in my ears. Red lights from the alarm systems were distracting my sight. Men behind me were shootng round after round shouting "She's escaped! Catch her, quickly!" in repetition. Fools! They can't catch me! They created me with unimaginable speed, my DNA dripping with their theories and tests. They should know...

The exit of this hellhole was in my sight. The sun was calling me towards it. The guards at the door manned their weapons, ready to fire at will. Then, my body shot itself over their heads, front-flipping off the diving board toward the pool of sunshine. The incompetent men below fired their AK-47's, but missed shot after shot. I was free! "Ha!" I said to myself "No one shall contain me any longer."

More men came closer to the silver, titanium doors to the satanic freak show I called home. As they charged, I took the handles, kissed them goobye *wink*, and shut the door on my past. NOW I was free.

Now that that conundrum is over, maybe I should introduce myself. My name is Naomi Cartwright, or as I was refered to, Operation: Geist. Since I was three-years-old, when I discovered I was sciokinetic (the ability to control shadows), I lived at "The Institution of Mutant Enhancement". In other words, a nerd's vision of Heaven, and a mutant's vision of Hell.

For the past twelve years, I was subjected to thousands of so-called "mutant enhancements", gene splicing, and other scientific mumbo-jumbo. These experiments resulted in my physical appearance. My skin is bleach white, so white, in fact, I could go to P.Diddy's white party naked and they'd let me in. My hair, eyes, lips, finger and toenails are pitch black. I am a spectre, a living ghost.

Over the years, the scientists working on my body and genetics added to my sciokinesis. I can now see in thermal vision, become functionably invisible in darkness, and absorb sources of light and convert them into black energy. Before I escaped, the scientists were working on an ability for me to create my own personal black hole to travel in, a form of teleportaition. They didn't complete the process because, well duh, I escaped. Sorry Internet bloggers, I can't teleport. But I can scale walls, yippie!

Now for the task at hand. I have nowhere to go. I can't stay at the lab (Hello?! I just came from there!), and I can't walk through northern Manhattan in broad daylight for obvious reasons. "Maybe I can sneak through the city's sewage system." I thought to myself, but then again, my smell would draw more attention then my appearance. I thought some more and decided to wait until sundown to trek through the urban jungle of Manhattan. So, I found a nearby tree to nap in, climbed up, and fell asleep.

"Ugnnh..." I woke up from my dazed slumber and looked to the sky. Black, no stars. Perfect! I carefully climbed down from the large tree and ran towards civilization. All I had to do was stick to the shadows, and pray to God that a drunk, homeless guy doesn't see me.

Four hours, who knows how many miles, and five homeless men shouting "Ghost!" later, I reached Greenwich Village in upstate New York. I overheard the men at the warehouse of doom complain of a group of mutants who messed with many previous experiments who lived near here. I decided to track them down and see if they would help this poor scientifically enhanced mutant. If I heard right, they lived in a large mansion in Westchester. Once again, I ran staright there.

After about an hour of searching for this mutant haven, I found this incredibly immence mansion with a gate around it. Thanks to my thermal vision, I saw some people inside. Other than them, it was practically empty. Then, a psychic switch in my brain went off and I started to climb over the the large, steel gate. Bad idea, Naomi! Alarms sounded and laser shooters sprang up from the lawn. As the lasers charged up energy, I did as well. Then, before they could shoot, I killed them out with some of my black energy. As I ran toward the large door, more lasers sprang up and fired at me.

"Why is it that everytime I go somewhere, I'm running from something?!" I asked myself as I tagged out the last of the laser cannons. As they disintegrated into smitherines, I made a bee-line for the door. I knocked on it desperatly, yelling "Please! Let me in! I mean you no harm!" The words just spewed from my mouth like a sprinkler shootng water.

The door opened and a slightly Britanic voice came up and calmly said "Come in, my child." I walked in, timid and shaking as if I just walked out of the snow while I was naked (which I"m not. I'm wearing a bikini, perverts). The room was dark, but my thermal vision pointed out to me six people. I don't think they saw me either, because I'm functionably invisible in darkness. Then, the lights snapped on! *gulp* Now they see me! "No! Turn them off! I'm hideous!" I shrieked as the door slammed shut. Then the British guy's voice came back and said, "Calm down, Naomi. You're among friends."

I opened my eyes slowly and noticed the English guy was confined to a wheelchair. "How...How do you..." "Your name?" he interupted. I nodded nervously. "I'm a telepath, Ms. Cartwright. I read minds." I nodded again, then looked to the other five people standing behind me and asked, "Are you guys telepathic, too?" They smiled and the bald dude in the wheelchair said, "No, but they do posses abilities similar to your own." I thought to myself for a minute when the dude with the crystal ball forehead asked, "Shall I introduce you to my X-Men?"

"Wow! Dorky name." I thought, but I got the feeling that everything I thought was being heard be the geryatric in the HoverRound. "Sure, what the hay?" I said.

"First off, I'm Proffesor Charles Xavier, and you know what I can do." I rolled my blank, black eyes.

"This is Ororo Munroe, or Storm. She has the ability to control the weather." An African-American woman with hair as white as my skin nodded and smiled at me.

"This is Logan. We call him Wolverine." A small, gruff man with a beer can in hand gave me a small wave. "I hope he doesn't have rabies." I said under my breath, but I think he heard it. "What was that, bleachy? Ya say somethin' ta me?!" Then, metal claws popped from his knuckles! My body froze in fear. "Wolverine! Retract your claws. You are obviously scaring the poor thing." defended Storm. His claws were sheathed on her command. "Sorry." I said. "Dumb kids" he said. I could tell he was trouble.

"Naomi, if I may continue, this is Peter Rasputin, or Colossus. His body transforms into organic steel at will." The six-foot man shook my hand. Physical contact felt so wierd since I was a loner.

"This is Kitty Pryde. She can walk through solid objects. We call her Shadowcat." A young girl about my age greeted me as Storm did.

"Lastly, this is Kurt Wagner, or Nightcrawler." Whoa! He looked like a blue, more demonic version of me! "What do you do?" I asked. "I'm a teleporter." he said with a charming smile. (If you recall, I would've been able to teleport, but saved myself from another enhancement).

"So, Naomi, what can you do?" asked the Proffesor. "I'm sciokinetic." I said proudly. "Explain that, sweetheart. I ain't no science nerd!" Wolverine spat back after chugging down his Budweiser." I control shadows. Not only that, but I have thermal vision, I can scale walls, absorb light sources and change them into dark energy, and I'm super agilitive." (You guys listening to this must be bored hearing the same bullshit again, aren't ya?)

"How can one person have that many powers? It's not possible!" inquired Kitty. Then, I cringed. I thought about telling them about the lab. I mean, they look trusting, and they're not freaking out about my looks. So, I decided to tell them everything...

"...that's how I ended up here." Ugh! Six minutes of explaining my position left me drained. Kitty was sitting there with her mouth open, staring at me. Logan fell asleep from drinking so much, and the others staring at me like I just stuck my fist in my mouth. Then, out of the clear blue, Prof. X asked "So, what are your plans for the futrue?" "I'm thinking of...well, I don't have a clue! I never thought I'd make it this far." That's when Xavier offered me to stay in the mansion with the X-Men. "Oh! Really? You wouldn't mind having someone who looks like me here?"

"Fraulien, they've survived having me here." said Nightcrawler. Oh, such a sexy voice. (Damn it, Naomi! stop acting like a dumb blonde!)

"Great! Now we gotta demon n' a ghost living here! How much more Hell can we raise?" said a drunken Wolverine. He kind of reminded me of those homeless guys that chased me through Manhattan. That's when, like that drunk bastard said, all Hell broke loose.

Soldiers from the laboratory I lived in stormed into the mansion, guns in hand, willing to fire. The lead G.I. shouted,
"Operation: Geist! By law, you are property of the United States Government. Resistence is futile! You must come with us!"

The X-Men sprang into defensive positions, put I placed my hand up, neglecting their help.
"No. Let me handle this."

I walked toward the commanding officer, stared straight into his eyes, and shouted at the top of my lungs,
"I AM NOT YOUR GUINEA PIG!!"
I summoned cannonballs of my black magic, which knocked about forty men backwards.

"NOT NOW! NOT EVER!!"
The men readied their guns to fire, but before the men shot, the faintest scent of sulfur tingled my nose. The men fired, Nightcrawler grabbed me, and we disappeared before any bullets hit us.

We reappeared in a bedroom upstairs. Kurt et go of me, and I collapsed of dizziness. He helped me up and asked if I was alright.

"Yeah. Thanks."
"Bittoshoen. Stay here while..."
"No," I interupted "This is my fight. I must battle my demons alone...no offence."
"None taken" he said as I opened the door to go downstairs. As I was leaving, Kurt grabbed my arm, and pulled me in for a kiss! A couple of seconds later, he stopped and I stared.

"For luck." He said caressing my cheek. He let me go and sent me off to battle Satan's groin spawn.

When I got downstairs, half of the hundreds of men were dead, many mortally wounded. Wolverine quickly recovered form his hangover and was in the process of hacksawing three men. Colossus nailed several men with his hammer-like fists, and Storm fried four guys. While the others were recreating a scene from "Dawn of the Dead", I charged up a machinegun symphony of energy. When half of the ights in the upper rooms were shorted out, I was ready to hit those camo-covered crapheaps with my big, honking bazooka of blackness. I ran in front of the stairs themselves and shouted, "HIT THE DECK!"

The X-Men ducked, the soldiers stared at me as I shot a month's supply of 100 watt lightbulbs at their military asses.Once the soke cleared and the electricity was restored, the scientists who murdered my childhood no longer lived to torment me. The X-Men stared at the colossal hole in the wall I created.

"So...how much will the repairs cost?" I asked.
"Couple $1,000.00..."said Colossus
"Eh. We can take it out of their government funding." I said, pointing to the deceased soldiers at my bare feet.
"Exactly how did they find you?" asked Storm.
"Apparently I'm 'government property'. They must've planted some sort of tracker on me."
"Well, at least things are back to normal." Nightcrawler said.
"Since when is anything normal around here?!" spat Wolverine, who found another beer.
"Since now," I thought, "Since now."

*sighs of relief* That's my story, and really hope you've enjoyed it.:wave

[Edited on 7/2/08 by BlueVelvet14]
[Edited on 7/2/08 by BlueVelvet14]
[Edited on 7/3/08 by BlueVelvet14]

[Edited on 7/14/08 by BlueVelvet14]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

necrokinesis = dead moving
sciokinesis = shadow moving
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

time to edit! thanks for the info

[Edited on 7/3/08 by BlueVelvet14]
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

You really shouldn't belittle yourself or your work like that, you know. Your writing wasn't bad at all! You did a great job bringing your character to life, and I enjoyed the parenthetical asides expressing her thoughts. :) Your descriptions were vivid and colorful. On the presentation side, you should try to run your stories through a spell-checker before posting them. Other than that, great job! Thanks so much for entering!!! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

my computer was on the fritz and spell checker kept saying it was complete. other than that, thank you!

new avi, weeeeeeeeee!!!!:hypno

[Edited on 8/23/08 by BlueVelvet14]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Congrats on being first to finish! And not a bad job of it, either, though I take it this is set in a universe where the X-Men have fewer scruples against killing.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven