April / May Challenge: Birdies

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Chapter 8

Post by Scumfish »

Wednesday morning I woke up feeling better. I wasn’t the only one out there with weird shit happening to me, and while Steyn wasn’t even on the same continent it felt better that there was someone who at least knew what I was going through.

It was a nice feeling. Almost made me forget that I’d been beaten up the day before.

Meh. Was expecting it, really. Just a pain in the ass. I lay on my front, contemplating the possibility of maybe attempting more sleep – Mary was going to be ringing in again, refusing point blank to leave me to my own devices – when suddenly my head itched.

You know those really, really painful sudden itches you get? I had one of them, all over my scalp. My first thought was that I hadn’t got all the blood out but a quick pat told me I had. My hair was clean, I kinda doubted I could pick up parasites like birds could (and the very thought….ew) so it was just….itchy as all hell.

I sighed, putting it down to my stupid brain tonsils doing weird things to my nerves again. It frequently did – phantom pains, random pins and needles, tingly extremities and a constant headache were some of the many joys I got to experience with them. I’d never had Attack of the Itch before, but hey. Made sense.

So I ignored it.

Sounds weird, I know, but considering I have an almost migraine-level headache all the bloody time that I have codeine for, ignoring a mere insane itch like this was nothing.

I went back to the sleep debate, but by now I was too awake to really do anything about it. Stupid itch. My wings had flopped themselves carelessly as I pushed myself off the bed, groaning as my back and chest protested. ‘Course, I’d flown two days in a row when I wasn’t used to it, and yesterday had carried someone. Idiot, of course I was going to be in pain.

I should know better. I weight train – not so much now, but hey – so I know about what muscles can and can’t take, and I was going to be in pain for a while until I built up the muscle strength needed. Damnit.

I managed to sit up, rolling a shoulder and massaging it and looking back at Mary’s sleeping form. First order of the day, cup of tea.

I stood up, then paused. No. First order of the day, clothes.

Wearing a pair of jeans, I made my way downstairs, muttering as I caught my wings on the wall. Jabbing the kettle on, my hand hovered over the radio button but I decided against it, not sure if I could take another day of angels and such. I ignored the sound of the paper dropping through the door, too, pouring out the tea and stifling a yawn as I heard Mary stir upstairs.

It was nice, even though I’d grown a pair of wings everything was still carrying on as normal. I finished making the tea and took the cups upstairs, getting a grateful yawned ‘thanks’ from Mary as I handed hers and sat down.

She shuffled behind me and started massaging my shoulders. I closed my eyes with a sigh – then winced. That black eye from yesterday smarted, but damn did that feel good.

“Chris?”

“Mmm?” I leaned back, letting the wing droop a little as Mary worked her way down the stiff muscles around the roots before running a hand through my long hair. “Sup?”

“Are you okay? I mean, after yesterday and all.”

“Yeah. Fine, they didn’ do much damage.” I shrugged. “What abou’ you? Not having second thoughts about stayin’ around me, are you?”

Mary wrapped her arms around me best as she could with the wings. “No. You know I wouldn’t leave you. And that flight yesterday was incredible.”

I chuckled. “Jus’ don’t expect me to be able t’ do that every day. At least not yet.” I stretched a little.

“Well no. But-“ She broke off from where she’d been petting my hair again. “Chris, what’s this?”

“What’s what?” Mary tugged on something in my hair. “Ow!! Hey!”

“That. There’s another one – oh my.”

“What?”

Mary chuckled slightly as she gently looked through my hair. This, of course, was not making me any less paranoid. “Your head itchy at all, Christian?”

“Now that you mention it....I ain’t got bugs, have I?”

“No, no you haven’t, but I don’t think your wings are the last word, babes.” She tugged on whatever it was again. “You’re getting feathers in your hair.”

“What?” I froze a little. “Oh god. I’m turnin’ into a bird.”

“I don’t think so. No beak, for one.” Mary nuzzled my neck. “Hee. You’re the Rasmus dude.”

I groaned. “I do not. What colour are they?”

“Well, they aren’t really long, but from what I can see, they’re a little darker then your wings.” Mary petted my hair gently. “Don’t worry about it, my love. Whatever happens happens, alright?”

I nodded, but I didn’t like this. What next? Was I going to end up doing a Howl and changing into a bird totally or was this it?

I sat back, concentrating on Mary’s hands as she carried on rubbing my back. Jesus. This had been the longest week ever, and it was only Wednesday. Idly I wondered if Steyn was as scared as I was right now.
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Chapter 9

Post by Scumfish »

You know, I think I would be able to stand growing feathers if it wasn’t for the constant damned itching.

When they had started growing that morning, it wasn’t so bad. But the feathers in my hair seemed to be growing faster as the day wore on, as if determined to get a few million years worth of evolution over and done with in a matter of days. They’d stopped being a nice, hideable dark red too, lightening to the same colour as my wings.

Greeeeat.

So by the time I looked in the mirror that evening, I could see the feathers in my hair. I looked like a grumpy, evil and uglier version of the guy that headed up Rasmus. You know, the one that puts those black feathers in his hair for some reason.

Bet he never had to put up with the fact these things shifted with my mood.

Yeah. Mary found that out when she surprised me earlier that day. The damn things spiked – felt weird and put Mary into bloody hysterics. Apparently it looks like a cockatiel or something.

I patted my hair down with a scowl, before ramming my trillby over it. I couldn’t put my hair in its usual plait or braids, so now I looked….well. Effeminate. Stupid feathers.

What next? A bloody beak? A tail?

The bottom of my spine twinged at that thought as I made my way out of the bathroom, and I tried not to think about it. Poor Steyn, having to grow his, but what with the speed my wings grew and the pain of my back before they did, and with these new feathers-

In paranoia, I checked down the front of my trousers, then breathed a sigh of relief. I don’t think I could face Mary if….yeah.

“You alright, Chris?” Mary frowned at me.

“Oh, yeah, sorry.” I shrugged. “Paranoid.” I gave her a sheepish grin as she tried not to giggle, a hand reaching out and stroking a feather.

“Well, that would be stupid.”

“Like wings?”

Mary looked at me seriously. “You’re not enjoying them?”

Enjoying? Hah. I shrugged again, looking away. “So, wanna go to the shops or what?”

“Chris….”

“Later, alright?” I smiled reassuringly at her. “I’m kinda mixed abou’ them, that’s all. Wish I didn’t have ‘em, but I guess I’m stuck so…”

Mary gave me a quick hug. “You sure you want to come with me? After yesterday?”

“Especially ‘cause of yesterday. And besides, Clare’s comin’ over, an’ I said we’d meet her.” I smiled. “Can always fly, if that’ll make you feel better.”

“Fly?” Mary frowned.

“Yeah. Need the practice, and kinda want to. You’re right, flyin’ is fun.” I grinned. I was telling the truth – much as these wings were a pain in the ass, I really did enjoy flying.

“Alright. Just try to land properly, okay?”

Hah. I walked out of the front with her and then took off, taking a deep breath as I did. Only three days but this was….amazing. I guessed being beaten up and all that was well worth it just for this. I pushed myself a little higher, grinning as I looked down on the dots that were Mary and her family, watching me as I held air. I waved down and got a wave back before I dropped and swooped gaining height and heading to the shops.

My back was twinging again but it wasn’t as bad as it had been as my wings beat, and I flew in a wide circle so that I didn’t arrive before her. I think people probably saw me but I tried not to care – after all, they were going to have to get used to it, seeing a big flappy person around Kingstanding.

I went a little higher, backing air and pausing, looking around. This was….amazing, seeing lights spread out below me and further off the lights of Birmingham proper in its valley. The sound was muted too, just the wind as I beat my wings, holding on to my Trilby hat.

I shook myself out of admiring the view, heading to the shops where I could see Mary’s small figure heading towards it, pausing and looking up at the sky.

Right. Landing. Carefully I glided down in a wide circle, tipping my wings and trying to keep my balance, until I hovered only a metre above the ground. I dropped onto my feet and folded my wings in front of Mary, feeling inordinately proud of myself for it.

Well. First time I’d ever managed to actually land without face-planting. Heh.

Mary grinned at me as a couple of women scrabbled to pick up their dropped shopping, not taking their eyes off me, and a little girl asked loudly “Mum, is that an angel?!”.

“Way to make an entrance, Chris.” She kissed me on a cheek, tugging my wing. “C’mon, I want sweets!! And I’m sure you want your bloody fruit.”

“Yus.” I grinned toothily at her as we ducked into Co-Op, trying to ignore the stares. It didn’t take us long to grab what we wanted, pay and leave again, me starting to get a little self-conscious – and cold – because of my bare torso.

Stupid scars. You’d think I’d be more interested in people staring at my wings.

We started ambling towards the bus stop that Clare would be arriving at, my wings tucked against me and my hands firmly in my pockets. Luckily it wasn’t too cold as we walked and just….chatted. It was nice, even with all the stares and mutterings, and it made me feel normal again. Strange, really, considering that four days ago I was normal. Only Wednesday and this week already seemed lifetimes long.

“….Yeah, but Vic wouldn’t let anyone touch his baby. It’s like….sacred. Kinda like, y’ know, if someone tried to sleep with Rahne. It’s his.”

We were discussing our RP, of course. Only with added wing flare, now, as well as me flailing my hands when I got excited. Mary raised an eyebrow at me as we reached the bus stop.

“He loves his cars more then Rahne?”

“Nooo, no no, it’s a different kind of love.” I grinned. “Kinda like the difference between you an’ my art stuff. I love you t’ pieces but touch it and die.”

Mary shook her head and smiled at me as I got glared at – and then stared at – by the bus stop’s other occupants as I mimed stabbity-death. Luckily the bus pulled up and they scrabbled on as Clare got off.

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

I love Chris. So much. His reactions are incredibly believable. Fabulous job, scummy.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Lol, miming a stabbing...angel of death
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

So many thoughts, so little time ... I had to play catch-up and read the whole shebang (so far) at once. Here goes the reaction:

Is this is a bad time to say I hate heights? Totally caught me by surprise.

Love the breezy humour, eg: And as for walking through the streets of Birmingham with them? Someone stick a ‘beat me up’ sign to my back, kay thanks. And the entire holly tree scene had me grinning.

and: I’m assuming this isn’t one of my crazy dreams or something because there’s no crazy voiceover from Stargate going on. Funsies! What great writing style.

I'd love to see this as a short film - with narrative VO to capture the way scumfish relates everything, kind of like "A Christmas Story" with Ralphie. (Only I'd clean it up a bit to satisfy my prudish side ... y'know, something Sooraya would watch, erm, if she were real. Which I know she isn't. Yes.) How funny ... I wrote that before I read Chapter 3. Conspiracy theories, indeed. You mean ... she IS real? Oh, of course I'm kidding. Sure.

Chapter 7: Proof of collusion amongst Scrawlers. <G> Steyn: brb, horns are itching Only here do you get this sort of interchange ... And this is a gem!!!!! htp://photolink.yayfakelinks.com/boudoir.jpg

“Good photo of you, Chris. Should scan it and put it on ‘Scrawlers.” So, when do we get to see it? Oh, yeah, that's right; it's all pretend. I knew that.

You know, I think I would be able to stand growing feathers if it wasn’t for the constant damned itching. That is exactly what my hubby's poor parrot would say if he made up his own sentences instead of repeating ad infinitum every stupid thing I say.

Wow. I'm almost embarassed to post my story after reading this; yours is so much funnier and certainly more imaginitive. But since I've already laboured over it ... the scrawlers will be subjected to it anyway (after the beta chews it up and spits it out).

*holding breath awaiting next installment*

[Edited on 19/5/08 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Chapter 10

Post by Scumfish »

Nothing really fantastic happened all that evening except my back hurt again, like it did before I got the wings. I figured that all the using of muscles that weren’t used to working wings had probably made them cramp badly so settled with taking more codeine and heading up to bed.

Of course, this was wishful thinking. You know, if my back hurt the same as it had before the wings, I should have taken the hint.

The next morning, I was in agony. I couldn’t move at all, even to twitch my wings open. It felt like someone had grabbed the base of my spine, attached it to a horse and then stuck a spike into its ass. Every time I moved, it cracked and sent another wave of pain over my nerves.

All I could think about was ‘what now?!’

Mary was beside herself with worry and Clare was quietly panicking in a useful way. She phoned a doctor – although it took a few goes to get one that would listen past the ‘he has wings’ bit – and within half an hour I was in an ambulance being taken to hospital. The pain was so bad I was starting to slip in and out of consciousness and I was having small epileptic seizures – which just made the pain worse, obviously – so I wasn’t totally aware of where the hell I was.

That was, until the pain started fading and I felt incredibly….high.

Yay. Morphine.

Once the pain dulled I was able to actually take stock of where I was. In a hospital. Great. My wings were bound shut and I was on my front, handy blue lace up gown keeping what was left of my dignity safe. Though I felt very vunerable with my ass on view to the world.

If it hadn’t been for the pain meds keeping my brain to the consistency of damp cotton wool I would have probably been panicking and trying to leave. I hate hospitals with a passion, as Clare and Mary could vouch after having to bodily drag me to hospital once.

Luckily Mary came into view then as I was trying to catch my breath. “Christian?”

“Meeer?”

Showed how worried she was. Mary didn’t laugh. “Are you alright?”

I licked my lips. “Why’m I here?”

“You wouldn’t stop screaming.” Mary was white and shaking. “The doctors tied up your wings because of your fits and they were scared you were going to damage your spine or something.” She was holding my hand. This was going a little too fast for my drugged mind to catch hold of.

“Spine?”

Clare came in with a doctor at that point. “Chris, can you hear me?”

I nodded, trying to swallow. My mouth tasted of iron.

“They’re going to take you for an X-Ray, see why your spine is doing this.” Clare petted Mary’s head. “We’ll be waiting for you outside.” She looked at the doctor.

“Mr Black?” The doctor took my vitals as another couple of guys in scrubs came in and started prepping me for the move. The pain was becoming sharper again and I could feel panic and fear starting to rise up. “I’m Dr Giles. We think this may be something to do with your….” He eyed up my wings as they twitched. “You may be facing having to have them removed if they are interfering with your nervous system.”

Like that filled me with confidence. I started to struggle a bit more but Mary put her arms around me – or as much as she could reach. “It’s okay, Chris. You’ll be fine.”

“It hur’s.” Was all I could get out. The doctor made a sign and there was a sharp scratch in my arm, and I fell into blessed drugged oblivion.

-

It was a while before I came around again. It was slow going – each one of my senses being tuned in separately as I started to wake up. Hearing came first, going from being underwater to being too loud to just right. As feeling started returning I could hear Mary’s voice, and Clare’s. I was on my back – though I could still feel my wings, they must have stretched them out or something – and I could feel an IV in my arm for a drip.

I groaned, cracking my eyes open, and Mary and Clare immediately were at my side.

“Hey, Chris, you with us?”

“Maybe.” I managed to croak. Gah, I must have had a major fit while I was out. My mouth felt cottony and tasted like I’d been licking Vic’s rusty Cadillac for a few days. That was preferable to how the rest of me felt – like I’d been done over by a lead pipe – but thankfully I hadn’t had one of the nastier side affects from the feel of it.

Jamais Vu is such a bloody bitch.

I felt Mary hugging me tightly and I forced my eyes apart, raising an arm that felt like lead to wrap around her. “Hey baby.”

“Well, you haven’t sworn yet. That’s a good sign.” Clare grinned at me, pushing her glasses up her nose. “How’re you feeling?”

“Like I got hit by a truck.” I looked round and gave a sigh of relief when I saw my wings. Strange, I’d cursed them but I didn’t want them just….taken off me. “I guess it ain’ my nerves then?”

“Dr Giles can probably clear that up. I’ll go get him.” With that, Clare slipped through the curtains. Mary took the opportunity to crawl onto the bed with me, wrapping her arms around me.

“You alright, angel?” I murmured.

“Yeah. You scared me. Not letting you go.” She nuzzled into me and I smiled, stroking her hair.

“That’s fine by me.”

Just then, Clare reappeared with the doctor. Now that I wasn’t drugged, in too much pain or just plain scared, I could take a proper look at him. Youngish, glasses, short brown hair. Wasn’t bad looking, and in a doctor’s uniform. Mmm.

I frowned and forced my mind back on track. Looked like I wasn’t as with it as I thought I was. “ ‘Ello doc. Am I dyin’?”

Dr Giles gave me a smile. “It appears not, Mr Black – do you prefer that or De Mohun?”

“I prefer Chris.”

“Chris, then.” He looked back at his clipboard, blinking as he tried to bring his thoughts back on track. “Right. We’ve done an X-Ray of your spine and it’s come up with some interesting results.” He handed me an X-ray sheet, and it wasn’t until I held it that I realised my fingers were numb. I dropped the sheet and swore. “Don’t worry, we expected that, what with your brain malfunction.”

“Gee, thanks.” I muttered as Mary held it up for me. Lucky I was used to having numb hands, really. “So, doc. Explain.”

What followed was a lot of long words, which I managed to sort of follow. Basically what it boiled down to was that my spine was indeed lengthening – sort of like a tail – only doing it very fast, faster then Steyn’s. Oh. And it was splitting into two separate tails.

This made no sense.

But then, as Giles (or Fred, poor bastard) pointed out, neither did the fact I had wings. Which was fascinating enough, I guessed, especially for a doctor. Mind you, if Steyn was ‘mutating’ too, then that meant there might be more of us mutants out there.

I looked back at the X-ray showing the two forks at the base of my spine. Apparently they were already visible, which would explain the excruciating pain.

“We can, of course, remove them, but I think you’ll agree that this will be fascinating to watch, to see where it will lead.” Fred finished. I gave him a flat look.

“I ain’t staying in this hospital any longer’n I have to.”

Giles took his glasses off and cleaned them. “Christian, you are likely to experience pain on a similar level to what you woke up with this morning. Plus because of your malformation I want to keep you where I can monitor you, make sure it isn’t interfering with that.”

I said nothing. Damnit, he was right but I didn’t have to like it, right? I didn’t fancy having pain like that again and at least they had morphine here….

“What abou’ my fiancé?”

Mary hugged me tighter. Giles frowned. “Usually we do not allow relatives and such to stay over night but….this is a rather unique case, I believe.”

We looked at Clare, who shrugged. “Like I have anything better to do.”

I sighed, settling back on my wings and wincing as my spine twinged. “Like I got a choice. And….um….got that morphine handy, doc?” I squirmed a little as my back cracked again. Steyn was such a lucky bastard.

puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

OOooooh, two tails? :shifty
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

Ok, I gotta admit, I hadn't been able to read this yet. obviously by the lack of comments, since I always comment on your fics. :P BUT... today! I sat down and read it. And zomg, scum, I'm loving this!!! WANT MOAR. and the Rasmus stuff? KILLED ME! Love it :D makes me wanna go get my cd from the car :shifty but... it's like 1:17am... bit dark an' kinda creepy out. nty. lol

this fic has a lot of good stuff in it, scum. I keep finding myself laughing at the most random points. and tearing up a bit with tha hospital part. :( dun want Chris hurt!
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Busy weekend ahead for The Old Broad, but rest assured I will be checking back for further developments. Hope Mary brings Chris's laptop to hospital so he can have another chat (hint, hint). And he should ask for some Red Palm Oil ... that seems to help my parrot when he's moulting ha ha.

This is all soooo funny, and so clever.

Now go be a good boy and write MORE.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

omg...I should not read things involving you during school, scum! :LMAO I'm amazed I haven't gotten in trouble...yet... :shifty ...But awesome job!! :D Can't wait for moar.

[Edited on 5/23/2008 by tears~fall~like~glass]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Elfdame
so he can have another chat (hint, hint).
Hmm....that looks almost like she's hinting at something