April / May challenge Entry: Skipping parts

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Have you ever sat in the car, just daydreamed, or just concentrated on the road for so long, that the minute you snap out of it, you find yourself at the end of your trip?
Your mind wanders while your body goes on automatic?
How many times have you walked into a room and wondered how you ended up in there?
Maybe you were looking for a pair of shoes, or your keys, and you keep focusing on them that you don’t look where exactly you’re going?

Elize looked at Steyn. His head was lying on his arms, on the desk, in front of his computer in the living room.

“Just take a pill and get ready, we’re leaving in five minutes, I need to call Petra and tell her we’ll meet them at the place. She’ll have to buy the tickets. Do you have the chips and grapetizer? We’ll buy something to eat over there.”

Steyn groaned. “I don’t want to go.”

“Please, just this once, and if at the end of the day you don’t like the show, you won’t have to go again. It’s a 2 for one night and we only have five people going, you’ll be our number six. Now come on.”

Steyn got up and walked over to the hallway closet, opened it and searched through the medicine box they kept there. All the ointments and pills that the two and their parents bought usually gathered there.

“I can’t find the stupid pills!” Steyn yelled.

Elize came around the corner with a scowling face, holding her hand on the cellphone’s mouth area, “On the phone here, I have a couple in my handbag, I’ll give them to you when we get to the theatre. Just put on your shoe and get the car’s keys…” and then she went over to the cellphone, “hi yeah, sorry, we’ll be late, just a couple minutes. We’ll be there in ten. The show starts in fifteen minutes anyway, so we won’t miss a thing. Have you told Lizelle that we’ll meet them there? I told Bert, even had to give him directions. Can you believe he never went to that mall?”

Elize walked off into the kitchen while still talking to her friend. Steyn just closed the medicine box and the hallway closet. He turned and opened the sock and underwear drawer in his room. Sitting down on his bed he put them and then his shoes on.

The headache kept pounding everytime he moved his head too much. He leaned forward and put his head in his hands, sitting still for a few minutes until his sister called out for him to hurry up.

Steyn sighed and stood up, grabbing the keys and locked front door behind him. Elize was waiting for him at the garage door.

“I can’t drive, I need to call Bert. I swear he’s just going to get lost.”

Steyn pressed the remote buttons, one for the garage door, the other for the gate. He climbed in the car, started it, reversed, waited for his sister to get in the car and reversed again until he was out of the driveway, and pressed the remotes for both the garage and the gate.

Not even a minute later and Elize turned the radio on.

The usual thoughts went through his head. He didn’t have his license that long, only getting it a year and half ago. He still tried to keep to most of the rules on the road, even the ones everyone forgot the minute they touched their shiny new driver license.

“Hi Bert? Elize here…Elize! No we’re in the car. Hang on.” And she turned to Steyn, “Faster, we need to get to Willowbridge in ten minutes.” And then back to the cellphone, “I can’t hear you. Where? Just turn right! Yes! At the robot.” Elize was holding her one hand to her ear, other pressing the cellphone hard against the other, and she kept staring at the glovebox.

Steyn answered her by pressing down on the petrol. He was concentrating so much on indicators and robots which were green and yellow, that the next minute, he was already pulling up to the ticket machine for undercover parking.

He pressed down hard on the switch button for the window to slide down. He reached out and pressed the button and grabbed the ticket, and drove in after the car barrier went up.

After some arguments on where to park, the two made a detour at the pizza place on the ground floor, each ordering a pizza, finding out there that the pizza place also delivered right into the theatre, right to your table.

The two walked up the flight of stairs, then through the doors into The Barnyard Theatre. The lobby consisted of, on the right, the entrance to the theatre, and to the left, the bar area. People were already starting to swarm there.

Elize quickly spotted Petra, waved her over and chatted with her. “You look great, oh hi Grant. Grant, this is my brother, Steyn, Steyn this is Grant.” He was quiet, as well as Steyn. They just muttered a hi and shook hands, and both just looked around, wondering what the hell they were doing there while the girls gabbed until the topic of tickets came up.

“So, fifty rand right? Each?”

“Yeah, each, half the price for a normal day.”

“Okay, here you go, did you book on your name? Table sixteen right?”

“For goodness sakes, yes. Hang on.” Petra said and pulled out her ringing cellphone.

“Hi Lizelle? Yeah, we’re in the Lobby, I got your tickets here. Bert’s there? Okay, just drag him up here.” She flipped the cellphone closed and pushed it into her handbag.

“Lizelle found Bert wandering around the entrance of the mall. She’ll be here in a minute, you two can go ahead, Grant and I will wait for them.”

Elize and Steyn walked to the entrance of the theatre, gave their tickets, and was guided by a person to their table. The place was kind of big inside. There were a bunch of picnic tables, large enough to seat twelve people in there.

The décor was wood and rural. Wagon wheels and barrels were placed where they needed to be placed. But at the front, the stage was more like something from the sixties. Jukeboxes and rainbows and peace signs with electric guitars. Flowers and spots and on one side, a yellow submarine was painted.

The idea of that part of the theatre was because of the show that was about to play. 60’s Something was it’s name. All the best songs from the sixties. Apparently it was a great success and it was the second time around that the show got revived.

The two sat down, and Elize remembered they forgo the cooler bag in the car.

“Steyn, just go down to the car and get it, the show still got some time before it starts.”

Steyn’s headache wasn’t going away and he just nodded, Steynding up again. “Just get me the headache pill when I’m back, please.”

“Oh right! Your headache, completely forgot, sure, got it somewhere in here” she said as she started going through her handbag.

Steyn didn’t wait, just turned and headed out again. Not only the headache, but he was getting hungry as he passed some people who already started unpacking food at their tables.

Out the theatre, down the stairs, unlocked the car door and pulled out the cooler bag with the grapetizers and a bag of Lay’s chipsinside. He closed the door and locked it, turned and walked back towards the mall.

Another thumping of the headache and he sat down next to his sister.

“Jesus Steyn! Don’t scare me like that!” she yelled and hitting his shoulder. She then spotted the cooler bag. “What did you do, run? I told you the show has still got some time to start. Here’s the pill. How’s the headache, still bad?”

Staley just shrugged as he threw the yellow pill in his mouth and gulped down some grapetizer.

“Did you see the others on your way out or in?” Elize asked.

“No, they must be at the bar.” He answered. He never even looked for them.

“Oh, here they come.”

And as the four walked over to the table the announcer’s voice started.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Barnyard Theatre. Tonight’s show is groovy with a big shake of a foxy, ready to start, but can’t until everyone in the theatre comply with three simple rules. Number one, no dancing on the tables, the music can be very catching, and you may want to end up dancing in between tables, but whatever you do, no dancing ON the tables.
Rule number two, this is the sixties, so cellphones were something from science fiction novels. Please turn off all Cellphones or put them on silent.
And finally Rule number three. Everyone, and I mean everyone is expected to enjoy this show and clap and go crazy, because this is sa concert. If you know the songs, sing along, this is fun for everyone! And please note that the bar is now closed until intermission.”

And then the lights started dimming. At that moment a delivery boy came walking in, looking around and asking people their table numbers. He gave out pizzas to five different tables before he ended up at table sixteen with Elize and Steyn’s pizzas.

When he left, the music had already started and a Tina Turner look-a-like was starting to sing Son of a Preacher Man.

The concert that was playing while they enjoyed pizza and chips and other snacks and things only to be consumed by younger people, was going great. Great songs everyone knew and some even Steyn couldn’t resist yelling along.

Intermission came and they announced the bar was open again. Elize shoved some money in Steyn’s hand and asked him to get some coke or pepsi at the bar. He grunted but was half glad he could go. He didn’t like sitting there, while his sister chatted with her friends.

Outside in the lobby, the bar was packed. He couldn’t even see the counter, much less the barman. He checked his watch and wondered if he ran down the stairs and bought something at a shop on the ground level then he might make it back before they start again. He turned on his heals and felt a little woozy. The pill was finally kicking in.

He snaked past people to the exit and wasn’t sure how many steps he walked down, but the next minute he was opening the door to the drinks of the shop and paid the clerk, going back up.

He sat down, and gave Elize her pepsi. “Where’s Lizelle?” she asked.

“I dunno.” He just replied.

“She went after you to give you some money so that you can buy her a coke.”

“I had to go downstairs to the shop for the drinks, the bar was too full.”

“Oh, she must have missed you.”

“Probably.” He said and then opened his grapetizer he bought at the shop.

Lizelle came back in to the theatre and sat down at her seat next to Steyn. She didn’t have any drinks on her.

“Hey, where did you disappear to? I wanted to ask you to buy me some coke.” She asked.

“I went downstairs.”

“What? Really? I didn’t see you at the entrance at all.”

“You must have missed me.”

“Yeah, I guess.” She was still a little perplexed because she remembered going after him, having him in her view, then looked away for a second, and he was gone. But the biggest thing was that she didn’t go to the bar herself, she just turned around to go back inside the theatre, and he was already sitting there next to his sister.

Steyn tapped on Elize’s shoulder, “Where’s the bathrooms here?” he asked. He was not going to be able to hold for another hour and half of the second part of the show.

Elize pointed to the sign at the back. “Just go there, on the left is the guy’s area.”

“Thanks.” And he stood up, going past tables and families and friends who where having a great time chatting with each other, straight for the restroom, hoping there would be an open area for him.

It wasn’t a long wait at all and after he finished with his bladder, he washed his hands, and stood there, hands under the blower machine, waiting for him to get dry. Why the place didn’t have normal paper towels was beyond him. He could hear the announcer stating the bar was closed, and the music started playing.

He cursed the stupidly slow process of evaporation, and just left with half damp, half wet hands.

“Damn it Steyn! I told you not to sneak up on me like that!” Elize yelled. Steyn was just thankful the music was to loud that her voice was mostly drowned out. But then he started wondering, how did he get there so fast. He couldn’t remember walking from the bathroom to the table. And then he thought about the pepsi he bought. He couldn’t remember going up the stairs. He couldn’t remember going out the entrance either, just that he suddenly started walking down them.

The pill. It must have been the stupid headache pill. Made him forget things, made him woozy. And then he laughed. He was on drugs at a sixties concert.

It wasn’t until the next morning, after they hd gotten back and slept tight the whole night through, that Steyn woke up in a locked Barnyard Theatre, still in his sleeping clothes. All he could remember was that he dreamed he was dancing to the Rolling Stone’s Satisfaction, on the table, while chatting on his cellphone.

He was mighty scared, and even more concerned that he couldn’t remember how he got there. He just closed his eyes, wanting to wake up before he had to give in to the idea that it wasn't a dream. Just had to wake up in his own bed in his own room in his parent's house.

He opened his eyes, lying in his bed. His room. His parent's house.

[Edited on 20/4/2008 by steyn]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

pressed down on the petrol = Accelerator
robot = traffic light
chips = crisps
cellphone = cellular phone / mobile phone
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Cool! But I'm kinda confused...is he super fast, or does he teleport? *shrug* Don't tell me, I'll just keep reading to find out! :)
"I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know." -J.R.R. Tolkein
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

TP all the way! great job steyn!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Ooh, great story so far! I especially liked that line about cellphones being science fiction. That sounds like a really fun show, and it seems your character has a really cool power. Thanks very much for entering! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

FYI, it's a real show actually, I'm twisting my memories up for the story
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

:puzzle Show? Well that's pretty sweet! What show I wonder?
of people long ago,
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

60 Something, not sure if it shows anywhere else but here in SA. the drummer was the creator of the show. And yes, it was at The Barnyard Theatre.
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Nice! Looks pretty sweet. Great fic by the way!
of people long ago,
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

You know what, this gets funnier the more I read it :D Awesome job, man, can't wait for the next part.

:shifty
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

Steyn made some tea for himself and coffee for his sister who was still in the shower. It was a Wednesday morning, and last night was quite a good show, but this morning, that last bit of a weird dream kept replaying in his head. He accidentally threw in too much boiling water in the cup. He emptied a bit and went back to making the drinks.

He could have sworn he was really there, at the theatre, in his clothes, it felt so real, but then he was in his bed, so it must have been a dream. Right?

He heard his sister close her room’s door.

“Your coffee is waiting on the kitchen table.” He yelled and was answered through her door with a “Thank you!”

He took his tea and sat down on the kitchen table. Usually he would have made breakfast for himself, bacon and eggs if he felt adventurous, but normally it would be something simple and quick like cereal or muesli. That day however he just sat there, not even touching his tea, deep in thought. His sister came out of her room.

“How do I look?” she asked. She asked that every morning.

“Hmm?” he turned to look, “Good. New shirt?” he asked. He didn’t much care really. He don’t actually notice how she dress. He just thought it would be fitting to ask her once in a month if her shirt or pants or dress were new.

“Yep, it’s what I bought the weekend.” She said, taking her coffee and drank. She grabbed a bowl and threw in some milk, and placed that in the microwave.

“So what’s your agenda for the day? Just work?”

Steyn nodded. Normally he would leave half an hour after his sister had left for her work, but that day was going to be a different day.

It was already seven o’clock when she left. Steyn made sure and checked on the gate that it closed. He hated going out to look for the dog. After being assured there would be no pet hunting, he turned and went to the bathroom for a shower.

He turned on the warm water, then looked in the mirror. He felt…different. Not bad, not ill. No headache or anything. Just…different.

He leaned in closer, making sure that it was just a small blemish on his forehead. No, two small blemishes. Nothing bad. But they were little unfortunately situated. Like mirror images, perfectly symmetrical, on his forehead, at his hairline.

He rubbed, and found them a little harder then he would think a zit would be. The mirror started showing signs of being fogged up, and he shrugged and got undressed.

He relaxed as the hot water ran down his body. He stood there under the showerhead for a couple minutes longer then needed. He grabbed the soap and the sponge, getting up a good lather and washed himself.

His heart skipped a beat when his hand went over his lower back. There was a bump there, and he was pretty certain there wasn’t one there the day before. He pushed the shower doors open, forgetting to turn off the water, and almost slipped on the tiles.

He wiped the mirror, getting it as clear as he could, turned and tried to look where he felt the bump. Yeah, he could even see the bump.

“Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, please not cancer, please not cancer.” He kept repeating as his fingers traveled over the bump.

Images of nurses and doctors and hospitals rushed through his head. He’ll have to end up in surgery or chemotherapy or something else that hurts. He thought of the last time he was in hospital. He only went in for something small, get a little cyst removed, just in and out, but it still kind of freaky, and now he’ll have to go there for how long?

The shower. He should turn the water off before he calls someone. He turned towards the shower only to see there wasn’t one. He looked around him. He was not in his bathroom anymore. As a matter of fact he wasn’t in his home anymore. He was in a hallway, linoleum floors and dull light blue walls. Very familiar.

“Oh hell!” he was Steynding naked, dripping wet in the hospital.

“Excuse me! Sir!” came a voice.

Steyn turned and his hands just went to his groin, covering himself as much as he could.

He was Steynding there dumbfounded, frozen in place, heart beating almost out of his chest and not knowing what to do. His face was beet red, and probably some of his body too. No clothes to cover up that blush.

The nurse who found him was whiter in the face then red. But the shock didn’t last. She just assumed he snuck in while her back was turned.

“Excuse me! Sir! What are you doing here? Why are you naked?” She turned to walk over to a chair that had a couple folded up scrubs on it. She grabbed the top one and when she turned back there was no-one there.

“I’m in bed. I’m in bed. I’m in bed. I’m in bed. I’m in bed. I’m in bed. I’m in bed.” He repeated over and over out loud, eyes tightly shut, not wanting to face the fact he was in a public place naked. That’s not a thing that happens in real life. That was something that only happens in dreams, so he must have been dreaming and still be in bed.

Everything was silent. He opened his. Yes. He was in his room. Still crouching over covering himself. His heart was beating like crazy and his body shivered. He could feel the cold water drops move down his body.

Something was definitely wrong with him.

As fast as he could he dressed himself, skipping the drying. His jeans were uncomfortable and his shirt was sticking to his body. Maybe he should have dried off. Too late for that now, because he was already on his cellphone, calling his sister.

“Hi, Steyn, I can’t talk now, I’m almost at my work, call me again in ten, no make it fifteen minutes, okay, bye.”

He sat down on his bed, glancing at his watch and back at the cellphone

Parents. He should call his parents. They know what he should do. See a doctor probably. Yeah. He flipped open his cell again, pressed around for his dad’s number and pressed the green button.

As usual it rang for a while. His parents were back in another town, and they usually slept in late, because they could, seeing that they had to suffer the dreaded early morning for most part of their lives and is now kicking back.

“Hello, Toby speaking.”

“Hi dad, Steyn here.”

“Morning Steyn, at work yet?”

“Uh..no..I think I have a problem.”

“With work?”

“No…no it’s me. I don’t know it... it’s just.” He didn’t know what to tell him first, the fact that he’s going crazy, or the fact that there’s a bump on his lower back.

His dad was silent at the other end, waiting for him to say something.

“Hello? Steyn you still there?” he asked.

“Yes… I felt a bump. When I came out the shower. I felt a hard bump on my back. Lower back.”

“Oh…Steyn, it’s…it’s okay, just make doctor’s appointment, you still have the doctor’s number, right?”

“Yes.”

“Good. It’ll be okay. It’s probably just another cyst or something. Don’t worry about it, okay?”

“Yeah, okay.”

It fell silent for a few seconds.

“Here, you mother wants to talk.” There was a shuffling.

“Hi, Steyn, your dad told me about the bump. Don’t worry, he had a couple before too, it’s probably a genetic thing, got it from him. It’ll just be just something stupid that the doctor cuts out like before. Just in and out in one day at the hospital, so don’t worry too much about it.”

“Okay.” He just said.

“Have a nice day at work, okay?”

He nodded, then rolled his eyes and said out loud, “Okay.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too, ma.” And then the phone went dead.

He stood up and walked into the living room where his computer sat. He looked through the business cards he kept together. It ranged from engineers to architects to hairstylists to finally his doctor.

He punched in the phone number on the landline and waited. He got the answering machine. Well of course he got the stupid answering machine, it wasn’t nine o’clock yet.

Steyn took the card and put it in his wallet, getting himself ready for work. After gathering what he needed, and grabbing the keys, locking the front door. A couple of minutes later he was on the road to his job.
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Yay! Update! Oops! I should probably read it before commenting! :bamf
of people long ago,
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Hmm...bumps, eh? :lol I love the part where he's naked in the hospital! That's too funny!
of people long ago,
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

It's not nice to laugh at others misfortunes.

after saying that though, glad you enjoyed that bit, was a little worried it wouldn't come off as comic enough.
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

:eek Are you quite serious? The humiliation of others is always very comic and entertaining! Just look at America's Funniest Home Videos! :computer
of people long ago,
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I stopped watching that when Bob Saget stopped presenting it.
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

:shrug Fair enough, to each his (or her) own. But the point is, it's funny, no matter how many times it happens! Nudity is especially funny for some reason.....
of people long ago,
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I have this strange unnerving feeling that this conversation was done before somewhere else on the forum, a long time ago. Deja Vu via Nightscrawlers
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Hmmm..well then, I wouldn't know, I've just joined! But this conversation is very rapidly becoming pointless...I think...do I? :)
Anyways, I'll stay tuned for updates!:prof
of people long ago,
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

HAH!! Lol. This was brilliant, man :D
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

Heee ... nekkid wet Steyn :pant
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

The way to his work was around 38 kilometers from his home, and usually is very busy, which meant he sat in the car for half an hour, sometime more if the traffic was very busy. Unlike his parents and sister, he didn’t mind it at all. He actually found it rather relaxing, sitting in the car, and only paying attention on one thing and that was driving.

Halfway to work he shifted in his seat, getting more comfortable. He was still worried about that growth. And he was pretty certain he could feel it the way he was sitting. He shifted again. Yes…it felt weird.

Ten minutes later everything started to seem a bit too quiet and his eyelids started to droop.

“Gaah!” he yelled when he realized he almost fell asleep. He pressed the radio button. The only decent radio station, 5FM, was on, and they were busy reading the news headlines before they go on to the phone calls section of the show.

“Oh here’s a good one,” said the girl’s voice, “International news, Gareth, you’d like this, a bunch of people reported seeing an angel in Birmingham.”

"Nooo! You’re messing with me!”

“It’s true! It was reported by a bunch of people, everyone strangers, and get this, it flew.”

“Now you’re just pulling my leg.”

“Scouts honour.”

“You weren’t in the scouts.”

“Well then, pole dancer’s honour.”

“You’re a stripper?”

“Actually pole dancer, I took the whole course in it, great exercise. But back to news. Yadda yadda yadda, petrol price going up, food price going up, stocks going down…nothing else interesting from what I can see.”

“Then that means.”

The phonecalls jingle started. Steyn didn’t much care about phone calls, they were a bit stupid really. Well, most of them, you sometimes do get good ones.

“Hello, 5 FM, you’re on the air,”

“Hi! Is this 5 FM?”

“Yes, you talk now.”

“Am I on the air?”

“Next caller” Gareth said after cutting the first one off.

“ScrewiwiwWIWIWIWIWIWI!!!!!!!!”

“Ahhh! Next caller! And for the love of God, people, turn the damned radio off when calling!”

Steyn smiled. Seems like phonecalls had a good start.

At work he shifted around in his chair. Technically it wasn’t work, he just sat there and learned the program he would use when he did start work, but it would still be at the same company when he start, so he could call it work. He got bored after the first hour.

Every couple of minutes a yawn would escape his mouth. What he would do to just play some final fantasy back home. Just sitting back, and relax in the swivel cup chair, nice cup of tea…

Steyn looked around him. He wasn’t sitting at his desk anymore. He wasn’t even in the same place anymore. He was back home, in the chair, looking straight at the tv.

He blinked a couple times, then rubbed his eyes. Even giving himself a good hard smack at his cheek. Did he dream going to work?

He was in his clothes, that’s for sure. The ones he put on that morning. He checked his watch.

“Shit, I’m late for work.”

He dashed for the keys at the door, and didn’t find them. He grabbed the spares in the pot at the key holder, and went for the garage.

“FUUUCK!” He swore when the garage doors opened.

“Fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck…” he kept repeating while looking at the empty garage.

His car was gone. His sister’s car was also gone, so she didn’t take it.

He panicked like there was no tomorrow.

He grabbed his cellphone, hands shaking as he dialed his dad’s number.

“Hi Steyn, have you made the appointment yet?”

“What? No, my car’s gone!”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s, it’s, it’s, it’s just gone! It was there last night, I’m sure about it, I drove it in the garage. I parked it in the garage. But now it’s gone!”

“Did Elize take it?”

“No, she took hers to work! My car keys are also gone, I had to use the spares to get into the garage.”

“Okay, just get the car’s details in order okay? I’ll call you in a bit.”

“Details? Car details?”

“Yes, the big envelope I gave you when you got the car?”

“Oh yeah, okay, yeah, I know where it is.”

“Right, I’ll call you back in a minute”

The phone went dead. Steyn’s mouth was made out of cotton. He went for the front door and jumped when the cellphone started vibrating in his hands and the 90’s x-men theme song started to play.

“Hello?”

“Steyn where are you? We going to start a meeting and I think it would be best if you just listen in on it.”

“I’m, I’m sorry, I overslept and I couldn’t make it into work,”

“I’m sorry? I don’t understand, you were just here.”

“What?”

“Five minutes ago, you were busy with that character of yours, rigging it. You even asked Mike about it.”

“Oh shit…I’m going crazy…uhh, Brad, do me a big favor? Please, look out the window, do you see a silver Subaru? The one I drive?”

After a minute a voice came back, “Yeah it’s there. Why? Where are you?”

“I’m…I’m at home...”

“How’d you get there? Did someone pick you up?”

“No…I don’t think so…I gotta go..” and then Steyn just flipped his cellphone off.

He walked in the house, straight for the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, and drank it all. His legs felt wobbly so he sat down at the kitchen table. The theme song started again.

“Hi?”

“Steyn, I have the insurance papers ready here, I just need…”

“I know where it is.”

“What?”

“The car, it’s at my work.”

“How’d it get there?”

“I drove it.”

“Are you at work?”

“No...I’m at home.”

“But you drove the car to work.”

“I know I drove it! I was at work…but now I’m at home…and I don’t know how I got here!”

“Calm down…Steyn, think it over for a bit, okay? You can’t just be at work and then at home, okay?”

“Okay”

“Now what happened?”

“I don’t know…I…..I just don’t know.”

“Start from the beginning.”

“I came to work…I sat down, and just started the program…I was sitting at my computer, staring at the screen. I don’t know what else to say. I asked the head animator guy a question, I went on with my work, the guy next to me asked me something.” Steyn had his eyes closed as he talked, feeling a bit weird. It was getting a bit drafty in the house.

The second he opened them he saw his coworkers staring at him. He just froze where he stood. The cellphone was deadsilent. The only noise in the room was the computers running in the back.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Wait a sec, hold the phone, I thought this was steyn's story! How come JSherlock's posting? Mule account? CONFUSED!!!!!!!!
of people long ago,
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Originally posted by Dämon
Wait a sec, hold the phone, I thought this was steyn's story! How come JSherlock's posting? Mule account? CONFUSED!!!!!!!!
No, he was having trouble accessing the forum, so he e-mailed it to me and I posted for him.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Ah! I see now. That was my second guess. Seriously! Ha! Thanks for clearing that up!
of people long ago,