THE NIGHTSCRAWLERS APRIL/MAY SPRING WRITING CHALLENGE!!!

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone! :wave Welcome to the Nightscrawlers April/May Spring Writing Challenge!

Spring is a season of changes, and dealing with changes is what the X-Men are all about. Imagine you were to wake up tomorrow morning with a tail. Blue, fuzzy skin. Yellow eyes and pointy ears. Only three fingers and toes! What would your first reaction be? What about your family? Your friends and neighbors? Your teachers or coworkers? Would you venture out of your room, or go back to sleep and hope it was just a dream?

For this writing challenge you get to pick one of two such scenarios to act as a prompt for a short story (between 3-10 pages long). You could even write a story for each scenario, just be sure to post them separately if you do.

Scenario A:

Walk for a day in Nightcrawler’s skin. What’s it really like to be the Fuzzy Elf? You can write it as either a straightforward ‘day in the life’ of the character or imagine that you yourself somehow woke up as Kurt Wagner and now have to live a day in his place, as an X-Man. If you’re writing it as yourself, what would you be expected to do, to know as Nightcrawler? How would others react to you? Would they figure it out or do you think you could pull it off? What if Cyclops or Wolverine asked you to fly the X-Jet, or needed you to have their back in a fight? The plot is entirely up to you, and you can use any canon version of Nightcrawler that you like, including Movie Kurt.

Scenario B:

Imagine you wake up tomorrow morning and just don’t feel…right. You’re not exactly sick, but you know something’s wrong. You’re manifesting into a mutant. What would your powers be? Would there be any physical changes—eye, hair, skin color/texture, bone structure? Would you have telekinesis? Super-strength, healing, or speed? Teleportation? Shapeshifting abilities? Or could the mutation be purely physical? How and where would this mutation take place? At school? At lunch? Before you woke up? What would it feel like? What would your first reaction be? What about your family and friends? Does Xavier’s school exist in your world? The story, the mutation, the powers, everything is up to you. The only limit is that your creation has to be at least 3-10 pages long and be posted before the deadline.

The Deadline for this challenge is MIDNIGHT, 12:00 AM in whatever time-zone you happen to be sitting in on JUNE 1. As in previous challenges, once all the entries are in, a poll will be held and the winner will receive a special banner linking to his or her story.

Please post all entries in the main FV&TTT forum as you would any other story, just be sure to indicate in the story’s TITLE that your entry is part of the APRIL/MAY WRITING CHALLENGE.

Example: Story Title (Entry for April/May Writing Challenge)

If you have any questions about this challenge, please let me know!

Good luck everyone! I hope you like this new challenge. Have fun writing! :D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Now I know I will do this one!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Man o man Rowena..you out did yourself this time. These two ideas are great!! It's soooo hard to chose from either or....so, I'm going to try both :P
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

:D My oh my, looks like I've stumbled upon my first challenge! :scratch Bring...it...on!
"I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know." -J.R.R. Tolkein
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

:faintThis is gonna be hard.:faint
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Here's a question..do do do..um..is 3-10 pages like pages pages or certain amount of paragraphs?
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

WOOT! Awesome! Such a great response already! I'm so happy you guys like this one. I'm really excited--I can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

In answer to your question, it's pages pages, like on Microsoft Word. I'm thinking single spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font. If you need more than 10 pages, that's OK, but the story can't be under three pages for this challenge. Hope that's helpful! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Yes!! Thanks!! I'm seriously stoked!!!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

You're welcome! So am I! :D :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Going to enter this, I think...:shifty
Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

:dance Man, I don't think I could have joined at a better time! Well...not as far as I know of, but this is FREAKING SWEET!!!

Okay, quick question. By "you", that doesn't exactly imply "us", does it? Well, not *exactly*..right? I can totally over-exagerate any part of my life, or just create an original character, correct?
of people long ago,
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Okay, I really really really really really really really really wanna try entering this one
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Dämon, and welcome to Nightscrawlers! :D Yeah, the "you" is just a general "you," it doesn't have to mean you specifically. The point of this challenge is to imagine yourself and your own reactions in that circumstance, but you can translate that into an original character if you like. If you don't feel comfortable using your name or your friends' names then don't. Exaggerations and original characters are 100% OK. :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Dämon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dämon »

Excellent! Thank you Rowena! I simply CANNOT wait to work on this! :eeevil :peek (I'm having too much fun with this aren't I?)
of people long ago,
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Yeah, I see a TON of interest here in this challenge and have heard people talking a lot about it...I think this is awesome work and thank you very much Rowena for working so hard on providing these fantastic challenges!!

And thank you to everyone who's participating and putting in the time and effort to write such great fics!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

:dance
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Am going for this one :D
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

I might if I can get it in between all the rest of my crap to do.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Bradbury

Post by Elfdame »

If you are NOT the type of person to be easily influenced by what you read (y'know, ya read Vonnegut and write like him, then Agatha Christie and suddenly everyone's saying "mon ami"), I recommend Ray Bradbury's short story, "Uncle Einar" for a glimpse into a great story of a special person. It's in _The October Country_, among other collections, sure to be found in many libraries and bookstores. Bradbury does such a funny, sweet, crazy job of describing what we latter-day folk would call a mutant.

Read it!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

I might give this a shot ... maybe
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Dooo eeet!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Time's getting short ... my beta readers are sweating ... but I'm almost ready to post. So if there are any others hanging about, on your mark, get set, GO!!!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

OK everyone, this is it! The official countdown has begun. There are now only three days left to get your entries finished and posted before the midnight June 1st deadline is crossed and the polls open!

The response for this challenge has been so incredible, and the stories are of such great quality! I'm hugely excited to see how the voting will turn out. :D Thanks so much everyone for breathing life back into this forum!!! :D :D

Good luck! :computer

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Just a quick reminder to everyone: there's only one day left to get your entries in! This challenge ends tomorrow at midnight. Once the deadline is past, the polls will be open for two weeks, during which time you can vote for your favorite entry. After that, the winner will be announced and a new challenge will begin!!!

Good luck everyone, and thank you so much for your participation!!! :D :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Can I have a few more minutes, please!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven