comics freaks! help me please ;)

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

Well, I have to make a presentation about comics as aa indicative of picture culture characteristic of present-day and examine specific features of this literary genre. I wast it to be really nice and interesting, so I thought that maybe you would have some ideas?
I want to start with history of it showing hieroglyphs and some historical stuff like that but then? I have no idea :/
:?
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

You have to- what? It's not entirely clear to me what you mean? You want to make a presentation about the history of comics?
There is a lot on that on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics

Also, I totally love your escheresque avatar. :love

[Edited on 8-3-2008 by Elwing]
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by kamizzi »

Not history but what are the things characteristic for comics, what make them so exceptional...
I was thinking that maybe you'll have some nice ideas of what to show, what comics could I use as an example, what would be interesting :)

and thanks :) but it wasn't me who made it :(
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I think that people are using comics as a medium (as they use many other art forms) for moving their opinion forward. The hook is that you need to make this entertaining, but you can make very strong statements that have your reader really think about life/current events/ect. A good example of these would be 'Y the last man' where it brings in a lot of issues about gender bias in professions ect. It just gets you thinking. Another example of getting you to think is 'Preacher'. This addresses issues of faith/morality. It does so in a totally blashemous and gory way, but it does get you thinking.

I'm rather sick, so I apologise if I'm not making a lot of sense. LOL

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Look up Joseph Campbell and the Monomyth, i.e. Hero's Journey.

Also, look up James Joyce and focus a lot on Superman. I know that sounds pathetic, but he's pretty much been around the longest without major change to his character and he's the #2 pop culture Icon out of 400 according to Rolling Stone/VH1/someother crappy magazines. He's the clearest cut example of how much impact comics have made on our society. More so than :cap this guy is a living symbol of Truth, Justice, & The American way.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Scott McCloud's books are what you want. That's his subject basically - comics as a powerful modern literary and artistic genre.

Here's his website: http://www.scottmccloud.com/

His books: Start with Understanding Comics and then read the other two (Reinventing Comics and if you have time, Making Comics).

Will Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art is a classic, as well as his Story telling and Graphic Narrative.

I've read all 5 of these books and they have enhanced my understanding of comics as an art form immensely. All 5 of the books use comics themselves to get their point across, have pivotal examples of comic works that elevate the art form and are all around awesome to read even if you aren't attempting a presentation about comics as aa indicative of picture culture characteristic of present-day . I recommend them to everyone.

-e
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by kamizzi »

Thank you so much, I'll try to find those titles somewhere. It may be hard, especially with comics (legally).

Paws, recover!!! :)