Happy Feet - Subversive anti-establishment propaganda?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

So I just now finally saw Happy Feet. It struck me as delightfully subversive. The entire movie is about challenging authority and a belief in the Great 'Guin (basically religious extremists).

Also, space aliens.

So if you haven't seen it, find it somewhere and hit a matinee. I wouldn't recommend waiting for DVD because there are at least 2-3 scenes that require a theater for full effect.

Anyone else? Anyone?

Bueller?
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

I will state most of the movie I liked but...

K... first off will say felt tricked once it was all said an done. None of the reviews I read said it was a green peace ad, so had I known that going in I would have been prepared.

For the parts that weren't, or were as advertised I did enjoy.

Spoilers....

The dancing penguins, songs, and the advertised message of being an outcast of society were well done. Really enjoyed the first swim sequence with the escape from the seal.

Did not enjoy the heavy handed greenpeace aspects. There were lots of ways they could have handled that. Did not like the fact real people entered the movie, that part really brought me out of the movie experience. Really hated the ending. And the fact they made a really complex issue seem so easy to solve.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yeah, I thought It was just going to be a fun kids movie. I was wrong. But other than the whole environmental statement, I thought it was a really cute movie.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Norvegica
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Norvegica »

What's wrong with the movie actually acknowledging that human actions effect other species and that by the same token, once we recognize the consequences of our actions, we can restore a balance that we've previously disrupted?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Alkuperäinen postittaja Norvegica
What's wrong with the movie actually acknowledging that human actions effect other species and that by the same token
Imo, kids do not need to acknowledge that stuff yet.
And this movie is meant for kids.
Norvegica
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Norvegica »

Oh, and Bambi was all hugs and kisses, wasn't it? And that anti-hunter/anti-forest fire movie came out in 1942. This is a Disney movie. The theme of humans negatively impacting nature is old.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Even if they have done it and its old.
Doesnt make it right.

[Muokattu 23/12/0606 Lähettäjä: Crocodile Hunter]
Nightcrawlis
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightcrawlis »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
What's wrong with the movie actually acknowledging that human actions effect other species and that by the same token
Of course they're old enough to acknowledge that and besides theres always stuff for adults in 'kids' films like this, after all who do you think takes the kids to see the film?. I don't know what reviewers you've been reading/listening to but the ones I've heard from have mentioned the environmental statement in the film.

What you'd rather shield kids from knowing their actions effect others?
'To be a good designer, you have to be a very violent psychopath.' Stan Lee.
"If you've got Mystique as your girlfriend the fun you could have in bed - I've just imagined X-Men 3 might open with me in bed with Patrick Stewart." -- Sir Ian McKellen
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Originally posted by Nightcrawlis
Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
I don't know what reviewers you've been reading/listening to but the ones I've heard from have mentioned the environmental statement in the film.
...Did i ever say that there is no environmental statement in the film?
Heck, what were we discussing about?
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I just liked the dance sequences, I ended up tapping my feet to the rhythm. And I kinda like the fact the hero had to challenge the authoritarian religious figure with the universal language of Dance, and get the girl in the end because of it. Besides, I think Kevin Bacon looked great in the movie............
hold the phone, I'm thinking of Footloose, what's Happy Feet about again?
Oh right, the same thing.

Spoiler

Anyway, I thought the head penguin guy was an idiot. Dammit man, The Great Guin made him like that, didn't you see the light show come out of his father's mouth when he knocked the egg off course?

{I misspelled head}

[Edited on 1/1/0707 by steynedvelvet]