Sirens Are Loud

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Sirens Are Loud

Post by JSherlock »

EDIT: I FIXED IT! NO MORE BEEPS NO MORE SIRENS AND NO MORE "THE BACK DOOR IS OPEN" EVERY TIME I OPEN IT TO LET THE DOGS OUT!

;)

:yell Ok, my parents went to Europe for vacation, and I got the house to myself.

A couple weeks into it, our home security alarm starts beeping (very loud, very high-pitched). I wonder WTF? and go hit the disarm button. EXACTLY 5 minutes later, it beeps again. I hit disarm again. And well, you know what happens, yes?

SO 4 DAYS AFTER I CALL THE COMPANY they call back. "Oh, it's just telling you that one of things we intalled on a window is on low battery." (it has still been beeping) Great! Easy fix! Too bad I work all day, and cannot get to to a store soon. And my parents took all the batteries in the house with them, as I discovered after work. It was a truly bad day at work and I treated myself to a pastis. So no more driving. Stupid me.

Then at exactly 2:27 this morning it BLASTS a VERY LOUD VERY HIGH-PITCHED noise. IT's gone off. I get up and go hit disarm. Nothing. My poor grandma and the poor dogs are terrified. Nobody else was there. No burglars, no rapists, no nothing. IT simply malfunctioned. I scrounge for my earplugs and answer the phone. It's the alarm company. "TURN IT OFF!" "I'm sorry, without the verbal password, we can't." "VERY BAD SWEARWORDS THE BEEP YOU CAN'T." I was so angry I put the phone up to the alarm and hoped the woman's ears hurt. I then explained the situation: my parents were gone and I couldn't find the file that might have the password written somewhere. I was the daughter of the owners of the house. "Call 911" I hung up.

The cops came. They couldn't fix it. I called all the relatives in France and asked them where I could contact my parents in Italy. Nobody could get in touch. I called the alarm company back. Their working hours are from nine to five. Not 3:08 am. The business card doesn't have thier emergency hotline on it.

I call my cousin who FINALLY gets in touch with my parents in the countryside of Italy. They have driven to the nearest building to call us. The passcode mum gives me is wrong. We don't have a verbal password, either. She gets disconnected. The company calls back. Same woman. I told her where she could stick it. She said she needed a verbal password. I told her again the account didn't have one. I let her listen to the alarm again. (my ears are still ringing from the noise.) She hung up at some point.

The cops came again. They didn't like my idea of cunningly applied baseball bat or their baton and some wire cutters. They still couldn't help. They left.

Mum called again. From a bar somewhere. She gives me the right passcode and it stops. 5 minutes later it beeps. 3 minutes after it goes off again. Where the hell is my brother's baseball bat when I need it????

It is now 3:57 am. I move a very heavy bookcase by myself. I try to unplug it. I UNSCREW the plug from the socket THEN YANK IT OUT!!!!. 5 minutes later it beeps. It has not stopped. It is now 8:00 am. Nine rolls around and the alarm company will hear from me. I do not care if I'm stuck on hold the whole day. Or I have to drive 3 cities away. I WILL MAKE THEM TURN IT OFF. :yell

And not one of the neighbors bothered to come over and see if anything was wrong.

I feel better.

EDIT: My parents called the company from fucking ITALY and sorted it out! No more beeping!

[Edited on 13/7/06 by JSherlock]

[Edited on 13/7/06 by JSherlock]
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sirens Are Loud

Post by chicory »

I'm glad you got that taken care of! Now you can sleep :Z

There were som burglaries in my area growing up - so my dad installed an alarm and us kids (and my mom) would set it off all the time. The neighbors stopped checking on us after that happened a few times too. It was so so loud though - I can't imagine putting up with that going off all time like what you were dealing with.
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Sirens Are Loud

Post by Slarti »

Wow! Bad day, huh? ;)

Seriously, that SUCKS! I probably would have applied that baseball bat solution myself -- I'm not known for rational thought when highly pissed.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Sirens Are Loud

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

When we moved into my new house, I my Mother decided that us kids were far too young to remember any password for the alarm, so she never activated the system, though we do have a security sign on the lawn that says we're protected by ADT.. I guess it worked though, cause we've never been robbed in the nine years we've lived here (though we've come close)..
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Sirens Are Loud

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Im glad we dont have really much burglars around here, so no need for an alarm. Especially when our windows are in the 1,3 meters so you would need something to climb in, and the doors are thick too.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Sirens Are Loud

Post by littlebamf »

My dog'd mount and molest anyone stupid enough to break into our house. No need for an alarm when you have a fat, gay German Shepeard cross for a pet. :D
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Sirens Are Loud

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

:LOL I used to have a German Shepard (which actually made me feel much safer, cause he used to bark at anyone he didn't know), but I think he'd bite, rather than mount and molest:LOL

I'm glad the problem is solved, J.. maybe it's about time your parents changed their security system? Maybe a new, less ear-splitting alarm would persuade your neighbors to help you if anyone breaks in..
Saffire
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Sirens Are Loud

Post by Saffire »

Lol, we live like 1/2 a kilometer away from the road and the only other people on our dead end road is our uncle and aunt. Nobody has ever even tried to rob us.
I am no longer a knight who says NEE! I am a knight who says Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm