Superman is well Super

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Superman is well Super

Post by BAMFCentral »

Saw a 10 o'clock screening last night at a local theater.. Way cool, I highty recommend the movie to comic fans and to general movie goers. And yes there are one or two plot points that weren't really resolved great, but I was such in the moment of the film I really didn't care. And no just like X-Men they don't really follow comic cannon, but they do successfully use the first two Superman films as the bio of the current supes.

New favorite Line "Weren't there two of them".... hehe

Routh captures Superman and clark very well. And not sure were other reviewers were coming from but he did lift several Reeves moments in the film as both Superman and Clark. But he did as his own, so not like he was stealing. Spacey stole the movie, wish he was in it more. He didn't really seem to be channeling the past luthor he just grabbed it and made it his own.

I so wish Singer could have done X3 now..... deep sigh...

Oh and somewhat off topic but funniest comment on the whole gay controversy I have seen yet.

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20060627

[Edited on 28-6-2006 by BAMFCentral]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Superman is well Super

Post by HoodedMan »

Ha. That strip's hilarious. In other news I'm going to be seeing Superman Returns when it comes out on DVD; it just doesn't seem interesting enough at the moment for me to pay out the butt to see it in theatres. I am, however, going to see an advance screening of The Devil Wears Prada tomorrow. Good book and hopefully a good movie as well.

If I do end up watching Superman Returns in theatres, it'd probably be because Bryan Singer's the director; I want to see what's so great about this movie that drew him away from X3, other than the fact that he's always been a Superman fan.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Superman is well Super

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I don't think I'm gonna see this movie for a few reasons, but mostly because Singer kinda ruined X3 for me.. This movie doesn't look too spectacular and from what I've seen in the trailers, the plot just seems like the usual "Supervillain wants to take control of the world" idea and I think I'd rather see more for $10..
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Superman is well Super

Post by idsunki »

I would at least go see it at the dollar theater (there's a couple moments that just won't be as cool on DVD unless you have an immense home entertainment system with some fierce surround sound).

Kevin Spacey stealing it was right ... he had the facial expressions and line delivery down pat. My absolute favorite moment in the movie is when he's explaining his plan to Lois and [spoiler]she doesn't get it. The double-take he does it just too damn funny.[/spoiler]
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Superman is well Super

Post by BAMFCentral »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
I don't think I'm gonna see this movie for a few reasons, but mostly because Singer kinda ruined X3 for me..
I think I'd rather see more for $10..
Wow were are you that it cost 10 bucks mine at the most is like 7.50. Cheaper for day showings

How did Singer ruin X3 for you??? Was it because he wasn't involved???
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Superman is well Super

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by BAMFCentral

Wow were are you that it cost 10 bucks mine at the most is like 7.50. Cheaper for day showings
Thats NY for you.....

I'll prob see it eventually. I do wanna see The Devil Wears Prada though!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Superman is well Super

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Yeah, go NY:D I went to a matinee of X3 and it was $7 (which was still a lot for a 12:00 showing.. should've cut me a deal)

And I just think Singer's vision would've been better than what we saw in theatres.. he seemed to understand the characters and their actions more than Ratner did (not that I'm blaming Ratner, because he did an awesome job.. it was just the time restraints that made it impossible for them to do anything more with the movie, I think). I liked the movie, don't get me wrong but I felt that it was all just too rushed and that the movie was so full of action that some characters didn't get their fair share in it..:shifty:bamf
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Superman is well Super

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

HAD to share this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/28

Go Superman humor!

When the hell does Snakes on a Plane come out????!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Superman is well Super

Post by HoodedMan »

Yay for Penny Arcade!

I was somewhat disappointed when I heard that Superman's fight for "truth, justice, and the American way" has been changed to "truth, justice, and all that stuff" (direct quote). Singer said it was changed to appeal to international audiences. But the old motto was a classic and I resent it being changed in the interests of political correctness. Everyone in the world knows Superman is a primarily American icon.

Also, "and all that stuff" seems to demean (I don't think that's the word I'm looking for) truth and justice, the words before it. I just find it unfortunate.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Superman is well Super

Post by JSherlock »

That was two and a half hours I can never get back. The special effects blew me away (especially the flying/floating, they did a really good job of making it seem he wasn't hanging from wires or standing on something with a big-ass fan hitting him full blast), but the rest of it really didn't grab my attention. It was a formulaic story, and the action bits were boring. The acting was good, and some bits were funny. All in all, if you're a Superman fan, go and see it, if not, wait to rent. Unless you're dying to see it, then whatever. Do as you please!
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Superman is well Super

Post by Crawler »

I have to say that Superman Returns was SO MUCH better than I had hoped. I loved it.

You can say the story was formulaic, since it's a superhero story, but I feel that it was presented in a interesting and pretty original manner. I actually lost myself in the movie and forgot that I was actually watching a movie...and that rarely happens.

I think the dialogue was top notch (even the "Truth, Justice, and all that stuff" bit...it was VERY Perry White, in my opinion.), especially when it came to Superman. He was nearly silent...and because of that, I think it really brought the best out in Brandon Routh.

And what could have been a throwaway character in Lois's husband, Richard, became quite interesting and empathetic.

The best tiny little detail? None of Luthor's cronies has more than one line. And I believe that some of them didn't even have that. Extremely fitting for a low-rent henchman. :D

I think this movie was skillfully done. Not "just another Superman film", despite it fitting in well with the earlier movies. It could have been the first Supes movie, it could have been the third. Either one makes sense.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Superman is well Super

Post by Bamfette »

well... as an outsider, to be frank, 'and the american way' always did irk me... always one of those :rolleyes moments every time i heard it. partly because it represented something about Americans that always annoyed me, yet they seemed proud of... an over-inflated sense of patriotism and self importance... it's even sillier in the light that Joe Shuster was (nominally) Canadian, and the Daily Planet was originally called the Daily Star, after the Toronto Star. (changed in 1940 at requst of editors. but if you read the first issue of Action Comics, you will see, it's the Daily Star) and if you read further into that article, it was actually originally 'Truth and Justice.' that's it, the 'American Way' bit was added many years later.

... just saying... that's how it comes across to many non Americans, and he's not really all THAT American in origin, anyway. mostly, yeah... but still. I like that they changed it.... he may live in the USA, and stop crimes and such restricted to Metropolis since it is his base of operations and all (though, being in the arctic, just what country do you think the Fortress of Solitude is in? it's certainly not the States.... oh that's right, the arctic circle is controlled by Canada... or maybe Russia... depending exactly where it's located :p ), but when things get really bad, he saves the world, and i somehow doubt that he's thinking that he's really just saving the US, and saving all those other countries is just a fringe benefit. He's a global hero. and anyway, if i understand it correctly, in context it seems perfectly natural. but I'll be able to say for sure tomorrow.

And why be upset with Singer over this? if i remember correctly, he wanted to do X3, but the studio wouldn't wait the extra time he needed to do both Superman AND X-Men. because he wouldn't abandon Superman (a dream job for him) for X-Men they got another director instead. it's hardly his fault, just bad timing and an inflexible studio. I hardly think it's fair to expect him to abandon his dream job to direct X3, especially when production on Superman had been underway with him at the helm for some time before they decided to begin production on X3...

speaking of Lex's cronies, though... did you notice one of em was Kumar? (as in, Harold and Kumar)

anyway. planning on seeing it tomorrow...

[Edited on 3/7/06 by Bamfette]
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Superman is well Super

Post by Nandireya »

I still haven’t seen X3 and I still don’t intend to…Superman Returns looks way better to me, and I don’t even like Superman. I might see it, but movies cost me $13.00 a shot…and Pirates of the Caribbean – Dead Man’s Chest is top of my list…out Thursday…and I don’t have to go to work until 5:30! I can go to the first showing :D
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Superman is well Super

Post by littlebamf »

Superman Returns hasn't returned yet over here. It's out July 14th.

I may go and see it if my comic mad workmate asks, but as of yet I don not feel very inclined to go see it for no other reason....Plus I'm slightly broke. And as Nand said, Pirates of the Carribean is out on Thursday.....:love