Theism ... What flavor are you?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

This is a thread created by a communal discussion in the chatroom. There is a lot of debate about organized religion's affect on modern society in our forum and these discussions are very relevant and important. The one thing they don't allow, however, is for our members to have a platform to simply share their beliefs and experiences. How often has there been misunderstanding simply because we don't know what one another believe? How wonderful would it be if that weren't the case?

The idea of a positive "faith sharing" thread came up in the chatroom and was met with immediate enthusiasm. We all agreed that a thread where 'scrawlers could share their beliefs, whatever they are, would be a great way to bridge understanding between members and tell some cool stories besides. Most importantly, this thread should not be about experiences only in organized religion, but all faiths because atheism is a faith and a system of beliefs too.

So, please: Tell stories. Share ideas and philosophies. Leave the debate for the other threads.

:)

-e
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

I really have to say I think this thread is a great idea. I've really had a go at all religions, but haven't gone really into depth into some of them and it'd be interesting to ask questions.

My faith does not have a name, so it's rather hard to describe. I have my own system of morals, adopted from a mix of Eastern and New Age religions that I've sampled. Can I really call it a faith? I don't know, but I don't think it has to have a name to be a faith. As for my lifestyle and politics, I'm very bohemian and liberal but we all know this. I'd love if people could ask questions on how particularly I feel about x, because talking about it helps to secure my answers if I'm ever not sure.

I think I haven't really been able to stick to one faith because I've seen a lot. I've seen things completely unexplainable by modern science, and had to think long and hard before incorporating them into my system of beliefs. My theories may have holes, but they at least explain things to me, and that's the point of all religion, isn't it?

So I'm glad to share and I hope to hear more from other people.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

If I had to put a name to my beliefs, I’d say I’m an agnostic pagan. Maybe. Except for during a few notable periods of my life, I’ve never had a lot of use for any religion. I’m very secular by nature.

I was raised more or less Christian, though it was the kind of Christian that only went to church on Easter. Maybe cultural Christian is more appropriate, educated to believe in science, but also with leanings toward believing in the paranormal. I became a wiccan in high school because it made more sense to me at the time, and frankly, because it was an act of rebellion. I followed that for a few years, but realized that as a subculture Wicca had a lot of its own dogma, inconsistencies and, IMO, nutty people.

So in college I became more of a general pagan, which has less structure. However, to me, there’s always been something unbearably silly about all the ritual elements, so I never did rituals or messed with magick much. Then I fell in love with a Methodist and the Christianity element returned. Hubby’s got lots of Buddhist and general New Age leanings himself, so we worked out and even got married in his church, though I altered the vows a bit, and not just for religious reasons. I ain’t obeyin’ nobody.

So, now I go to church with Hubby’s family occasionally but also stick to the pagan reverence for the earth and all its creatures. I also believe in scientific progress and the scientific process, and evolution. I think there are things about this world that someday we will be able to understand scientifically, and a lot of those types of things, which right now are considered miracles or paranormal, are simply natural processes we don’t yet understand. Otherwise, is there a God, or gods, I have no idea, I’ve never met him/her/it.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally, I was going to skip posting in this thread..but people already starting has inspired me..so here goes:

First off, I see faith as an extremely personal thing. It's why I don't talk about my specific beliefs much. If something comes up where my faith plays a role, I will speak of it, but otherwise, I don't see the point. I am who I am because of alot more than what I believe, and thats what I want to be taken for....

Anywho, like the two above, putting a name to what I believe is difficult. You can call it agnosticism, because as much as you can see there being proof of no God, you can see proof of God. It's all relative, really. I was reading up on ignosticism (thanks Jess!) the other day, and that really really interests me, and I'd like to subscribe to their newsletter ;).

My thing is, no matter what, I am sorely grounded in science. And to me, the concept of "well, is science can't explain it, it must be God" doesn't make sense. If science can't explain it, I see it one of two ways; We have not yet the science to explain it, or perhaps, there could be something else. But I lean more toward the former.

However, I also believe in things like fate and karma. I don't know if these things are proof of an existence of a God or anything of the like, but I do believe in them and (in the case of karma) I have seen them at work.

One thing I want so badly to believe in but don't is the afterlife. This is something I need to work on to come to terms with. As much as I want to believe in something after life, it just isn't logical to me. But I do wish I could believe, because I have issues with this ;)

I've looked into other faiths, and am still kind of on a quest to find my niche. But more and more I think what I believe may be enough for me. What do I believe first and foremost? Be a good person. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Do it because you are good, and because you want to be good. Do it because you believe every other person on this Earth deserves the same happiness that you are working for.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I'll start with background on my life to explain how I came to be how I am, especially as far as matters of faith are concerned. This may be lengthy. ;)

I was born into a non-religious family. I think that both my parents believe in God, though neither goes to church. We've never really had "that discussion."

My dad's mother is Methodist. I've gone to church with her once in my whole life (though I've been in that church uncountable times...for bazaars, "indoor yard sales", etc.) and she's pretty devout. My grandfather went to church with her every week until relatively recently (maybe a few years ago), because the pews are excruciating to his back. My dad, aunt, and uncle all went to church as kids and all of them eventually decided to stop going.

My mom's side has no one that is truly religious. Once in a while, she would make an attempt at taking my four brothers and I to church, but it never lasted more than a week.

I have had a heavy interest in religions for as long as I can remember. I was always especially interested in the Olympian faith because of all the great stories surrounding it. Of course, this only furthered my interest in religious tales and so I've read the Bible, cover to cover, (the KJV) as well as have done a lot of reading on Asatru (the modern version of the Norse faith), Egyptian beliefs, and the Sumerians, as well as reading here and there on Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Wicca, and the beliefs of ancient peoples in the British Isles.

Just because I was interested.

When I was in middle school (6th and 7th grade at the time) I had a Mormon friend. He was my best friend and we hung out together a lot. I even had a heavy crush on his sister for a good while.

I started going to church with him and his family at the local Church of Latter Day Saints. His father was a pastor. I began to convert to Mormonism.

Being new to the faith (new to any faith, really), I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of satisfying answers. I can say with resolve that Mormonism is no more a "cult" than any other Christian denomination. (Which is why I always defend Mormons when they're under any sort of attack.)

There were a lot of things that were a bit strange to me, having never been a member of a church and having a very secular worldview, but they were very welcoming and Ricki was very proud to be helping to witness me. One of my most vivid memories of that time was going to a Sunday evening event at the church (we mostly played basketball in the gym) that was aimed at people our age. I would have been about 13.

We went in to what I can only describe as a lecture. It was a whole lot like being in regular old school. The topic? Courtship and courtesy. It was seriously teaching us how to be gentlemanly. It was heavy in the "respect women" points and threw in a few "we are ALL God's children" to drive the point home. This fit well with my worldview.

At one point, they were explaining that it is always preferable and polite for the man to be the one to pick up the woman at her house. That you should always open and hold doors for them, especially the car door. (As a side note, this stuck with me and I almost unerringly continue this practice. And it's good advice. ;) )

At this point was the only time I ever felt uncomfortable in that church. I asked what to do if you are too young to drive/don't have a car. I was looked at as if I'd asked what a car was. I found out at that point that dating younger than 16 (at the time, the minimum driving age. That's changed now) was frowned upon heavily. Never did find out exactly *why*.

After about 3 months of attending church with them, (and trying to look sexy for his sister when I slept at his house) they moved away and I just kinda dropped it.

I went through some rough times as a teenager. In fact, my Junior (11th grade) Year still stands in my memory as the worst year of my life. I thought a lot about my own beliefs and decided that I did, indeed, believe in God. But, like Northstar's, it was a completely personal system of belief.

At the beginning of the summer before my Senior Year, I began dating a girl that was a pretty devout Lutheran. We tended to disagree on religious issues only because of my distaste for most organized religion. (For as long as I can remember, I've not liked the idea of being told what to think, taking things on other people's word, or taking large leaps of faith.) Because it *could* have been a sore spot, I never really went in depth with her about the specifics of her faith.

She accepted what I believed and I accepted what she believed and I rarely went to church with her. I more often slept in while she went to church, even when I'd stayed at her place.

From my experience with her and her church and family, I also generally defend Lutherans. From 4 years with her, I have come to expect Lutherans to be quite laid back in regard to what other people believe, no matter how devout they are themselves.

Only in the past 3 years or so have I really examined what I, myself, believed. I'd encountered people of nearly every faith during my life (even had Jewish and Muslim friends...that may not seem that odd, but I live in COLORADO.) and had done a whole lot of reading about what other people believed, but never truly decided for myself.

Through studying and "soul-searching" and a damned lot of researching definitions, I called myself "Agnostic" if anyone asked. Essentially, my view, tthen and now, on faith is this: I don't know, I can't know, and so I've let it go.

However, I don't necessarily like calling myself agnostic because of the connotations other people have about the term. I've been accused of "hedging my bets" and "being selfish" and people automatically assume I believe in God. I don't. But I don't believe in no God, either.

In truth, "Atheist" would be a better label for myself. See, the actual meaning of the word is having a "lack of religous beliefs." That's what I have. I don't believe, one way or another. But the connotations that come with the term are even less appropriate to what I believe, with most people (even some people that call themselves Atheist!) thinking of it as a belief in No God. It truly isn't.

Recently (the past 8 months or so), if anyone asks, I tell them that I am Humanist. I even have a Humanist necklace on its way to me. There is very little connotation with the word and it fits my worldview more precisely than any other label. Essentially, Humanism is a philosophy that encourages individuality, social involvement and responsibility, and compassion toward all people. It accepts all faiths because it accepts all people.
From Wikipedia
Humanism is a broad category of active ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on our ability to determine what is right using the qualities innate to humanity, particularly rationality.
For the Humanist Manifesto, click here.

The only catch is that I've seen reporters and politicians using "humanist", especially "secular humanist", as a bad thing.

People who care about people. And now they're trying to make it a dirty word.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Not sure what I am...

If people ask I generally just say Methodist as that is the denomination I have been going to for some time now. But I'm not Bapthized so technically I'm not a Christian I don't think.... not sure.

Started as Chatholic, but a priest said something to me once that rather offened me... nothing exciting that would get him on the news or anything. Just a difference of opinion. I thought I deserved comfort for the passing of my grandfather he said the church could not recognize me because I wasn't Bapthized. Was a bit put off the whole religion thing after that for awhile.

Some time later after some introspective searching, I discovered I did believe in God. So off to church I began again. But not Chatholic... nothing wrong with it, but I just refuse to go back. I have found a pastor that I like and tend to agree with what he says a very nice man.

Outside that I did start reading up on the general diff of world religions. The subtle differences alone in the Abrahamic Faiths kinda took me aback a bit.

But I also, don't really celebrate Christ's Birth or Resurrection, I celebrate the comercial Holidays Christmas and Easter. So what does that say about me....

So I guess I could be called a Lazy Methodist Commersialist???
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

In short?

I'm a Neo-Hellenic polythesist who also honours the nature spirits of the Cherokee (part of my background). I also have a sort of "When in Rome" approach to other people - when in their home I will honour their God/Gods.

It's one thing that makes me truly comfortible with polytheism, that I can be respectful to other and their beliefs and honour and respect the Gods of the places I visit.

I also believe in honouring the dead.

But...I find it easier to answer questions, so if anyone has any...
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I am sure you would all like to stamp "Catholic" on my forehead and have it be easy. I am sorry, but I would never allow anything in my life to be simple.

The first half of my life sounds like it was written by Chiam Potok. I was adopted as an infant from a Catholic orphanage and raised by an Orthodox Jewish family. Because of Jewish law, I could not be considered Jewish until I underwent a special ceremony called a "micvah". A micvah is a Jewish form of baptism and only men are allowed to attend (and me) so I was there with my new father and some rabbis. It is a full immersion type of baptism and even though I was only 6 months old, I remember it.

My family were very strict Jews. We kept the Sabbath on Friday nights and went to Synagogue on Saturdays. Women and men were kept separate and my mother and I had to enter by a separate door to sit at the back, furthest from the Torah. Services took most of Saturday morning and afternoon and in the early evening we walked home (because Jewish law forbid driving on the Sabbath).

When I was 6 we moved to a different part of town that wasn't so heavily Jewish (but was still like 60% Jews) and it was also around that time that I told my parents that I wanted to be a Bat Mitzvah (to read from the Torah at 13). We had to switch to a less orthodox Synagogue that allowed girls to read from the Torah. I also started going to a Jewish school where we spoke about half in Hebrew and half in English. It was okay, but I was the only blonde haired person in the school and the kids would tease me and call me "nazi".

Slowly my parents stopped going to Synagogue. At first they missed a few weeks but by the time I was 8 or so, they were just dropping me off. On Friday nights my dad would make fun of me while I lit the Shabbat candles. It was really confusing.

On the way home from school there was a second hand store that I used to like to browse around in. I found a rosary in the jewelry case and it was the most incredible piece of jewelry I had ever seen. I knew it was Christian because of the cross, but I had never been inside a church or even met a Christian person. (The store was actually attached to a Jewish charity so I still don't know why they had a rosary...) I used to go in and look at it all the time.

I saved up my allowances and secretly bought the rosary. Somehow I knew it was something I shouldn't have, but I didn't understand why that was. I kept it hidden and only looked at it after my parents were asleep. Later on I aquired more rosaries and when my father found them, he tore them to shreds and kicked me out of the house for the night - but this was when I was in highschool.

I didn't really start to ask questions about what to believe until after high school actually. I had my Bat Mitzvah and even took Hebrew as a language in high school. (Which is why it is shocking how bad my Hebrew sucks.) But I always felt like things were missing in my own faith. I didn't know what they were, just that they weren't there. I took my one rosary with me to college along with my Hebrew prayer book.

I went to an east coast liberal arts college that put the emphasis on the word liberal. A Catholic dorm mate finally explained the rosary to me. I took a comparative religions course on Judaism, Islam, and Christianity and discovered that I really liked the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas. I worked for a couple who were Tibetan Buddhists and very active in the freedom for Tibet movement. We had exiled Lamas visiting all the time and they took me to the monestary in Woodstock NY.

I liked Buddhism a lot and really enjoyed meeting with the Lamas. They really did seem... holy. And wise. I was like 19 and everything was confusing and huge and these guys boiled everything down into simplicity. I was so envious. So I read a lot of books on Tibetan and Theravaya Buddhism and practiced daily meditation for years.

When I moved to Washington after graduate school there was still something missing. I tried to do the find a husband, get a house, and a dog thing but that wasn't it. (The house and dog were okay, but the guy was an ass.) I snowboarded competitively several of the winters I was out there and I remember always feeling closest to God when I was out on the mountain and closest to nature. I was a regular visitor at a Buddhist meditation center but I thought maybe it was God that was missing and I tried to become a member at one of Seattle's two Synagogues. It didn't work out though. I wasn't happy at either. I resigned myself to the mountains with the dog.

And I was still collecting rosaries. I just loved them. I always carried one around with me. I occasionally would try to read about the rosary but it always kind of freaked me out because it had Jesus in it. I don't know if it was just me or if all Jews have this problem, but nothing with Jesus in it ever made any sense to me.

It wasn't until I was taking my pre-vet classes that all this started to crystalize. I was taking all these biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus classes and all the concepts were kind of starting to run together. It was like if you went deep enough into biology, you got chemistry and if you went deep enough into chemistry, you got physics, and physics ultimately boiled down to math. The world suddenly felt so connected to me. And not just connected but engineered. I was suddenly positive that none of this had happened by chance. I had discovered where God was.

Not that I knew what to do about this discovery. Judaism doesn't really have a place for big revelations and Buddhism doesn't have a diety. I went to school with maybe 30 to 40% Muslims in my classes, but we didn't really talk about this kind of thing. I started having this weird recurring dream - it was mathematical, with counting but also deeply spiritual. I couldn't figure it out, but I kind of liked it.

Finally, while I was taking a course on human embryology I decided I had to talk to someone. It was just too crazy the number of things that had to go right just to replicate DNA, and then to create a sperm and egg, let alone have fertilization occur and then implantation. It was a wonder any babies were born at all given the 2 trillion steps that have to occur in the right order at the right time at the right temperature first. So on the way home from class I went into Old St. Pat's Catholic Church and asked if I could talk to a priest.

I asked him a dumb question about the rosary I think. He gave me a book about Catholicism to read though and it was fascinating. I still have it and I use it a lot to write the FAQ because it was written for lay people. It is called (I shit you not) "Catholicism for Dummies".

Almost 2 years later, after finally committing to attend RCIA classes (Rite of Catholic Initiation for Adults) to learn more about the faith I was asked if I wanted to be Baptized and Confirmed at the end. I said I didn't know. Then I contacted the school's Hillel and asked their Rabbi if it would affect my heritage as a Jew if I were Baptized as a Catholic as well. He thought I was crazy for various theological reasons, but told me that no, it wouldn't matter. Then I asked the priest who was going to Baptize me and he said "If it worked for Jesus, it should be okay for you as well". So I agreed.

I never thought I would be Catholic. (Or Jew-tholic as I like to call it) But, I was surprised over and over again to discover that there was a place for all the random things I had come to believe in over the course of my life. I remember the first time I went to Mass - I sat all the way in the back and I had no clue what was going on, but the homily the priest gave made so much sense to me. And the first time someone taught me the prayers of the rosary - I realized what that dream was all about.

Just because I've found something I like doesn't mean I'll stop reading and learning about new things. I will always do that, it's part of who I am.

One of the things that I've enjoyed so much about being Catholic is how much of the religion is based upon ancient Jewish ritual. I can see a lineage of faith stretching across history that is very cool to be a part of. But more than that, many of the things that I can participate in in Catholic ritual, I was barred from as a Jewish woman. For that reason it is even more special to me. Each Sunday when I serve at Mass where I am standing feet away from the altar I think about how lucky I am just to be there. I don't ever feel as though I've "converted" as much as I feel that I've "added".

And I'm still trying to figure out Jesus, but I'm sure I'll get there some day.

-e
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Im what...is it called in there? Protestant maybe?
So simply. I dont go to church i dont read bible i dont do any of that.
But i still someways belive in god. Cross is one of the "finest" symbols i know.
Thats about all of my faith etc.
jeangay
Lubber
Lubber
Title: JEAN LUC!!!!!

Post by jeangay »

I think this thread is a wonderful idea...a way to share and impliment ideas, beliefs and faiths that may be common with others in some ways, but completely different in others....

in short....celebrating what makes the gift of having a life so wonderful...uniqueness.

When I heard of this thread, I instantly thought of an amazing story that I really wanted to share with everyone. Not so much to "open eyes" to what already may seem like an obvious, but to just really inspire people to believe in something we all can believe in....no matter what religion or beliefs you carry, and that is....the human condition and the human race in general.

The story is about one of my best friends, her name is Sarah. She is a praticing athesist and just believes that people should be good people, just because it makes life easier on everyone. I won't get into her arguments versus any other faith, but basically its summed up by "human beings shouldn't have to be rewarded for being good...."

we aren't pavlov's dogs....we don't need a treat.

well...the story goes as follows:

One day Sarah is exiting a Subway shop near her home. As she leaves, she is confronted by a women, who is very ragged and dirty. She asks Sarah for a few dollars to buy some food. Explaining that her Social security check hasn't been in the mail, and she is hungry....Sarah, out of pure kindness gives the lady 10 dollars. In a twist of fate, the lady then asks for a ride (home i believe, I can't remember.) Sarah....reluctantly agrees, and she brings the lady to her destination. Now, while driving...the lady says "You are so kind. You must be a christian as well...I will pray for you tonight." (paraphrasing here, i was told this story long ago.)

Sarah's response was "No, I'm atheist." The lady is taken back and responds "Oh wow. I can't believe that you'd do this for me." (basically saying, that why would an atheist help a christian out.) Sarah stated "just because I'm athesit doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I'm helping you because I would hope for the same act of kindness if I ever needed it. You don't have to believe in anything in order to commit good deeds.

The lady smiled, shocked, I believe they both learned a few things about other people and each other that day....Now I tell this story again to inspire....

that no matter what this world throws at us or what we believe in, the one thing we have in common is that it is OUR world. So instead of fighting over who is right and who has to believe in what, we should celebrate the fact that we have the right to believe in what we want.....there are some places STILL in this world that would shoot me dead for telling this story in public... (blasphemy and all :doh!)

I hope this makes you all smile and nod your head.....humans are capable of great things, but its not skyscrapers or rocketships....its simple smiles and common courtesy that makes us all amazing. :D

~Justin
"Phoenix was the best in the movie, I often wish I could turn people into dippin dots." ~Me

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

My story is a rather long, complicated one as well, which is rather ironic because I wound up pretty much right back where I started.

I was raised Catholic, but did not really believe in it until I had tried out nearly everything else, got kicked around a bit, then returned to the Church in my 20's. I was not exactly "steeped" in any particular religion as a child, despite attending Mass regularly and Catholic schools. My mother was Catholic, yes, but my father was a non-practicing Lutheran of Jewish background, and I always had an interest in mythology and comparative theology. And I also was more or less the product of what I like to call "assembly line religion." You know, baptized as a baby, received First Communion in second grade, Confirmation in high school, I jumped through all the hoops, memorized all the "right" answers, and when I was Confirmed, "officially" a full-fledged adult Christian ready to take on the world, I had a whole lot of academic knowledge of religion, but zero real understanding of real, capital F Faith.

So naturally, I left the Church and searched for something that squared with my belief, whatever they were. I didn't really know. I stopped believing in God altogether for a bit, though I was never willing to deny the possibility of some supreme being's existence. I dabbled in solitary paganism, though I was put off at how divided it seemed along gender and ethnic lines. I tried to read the Bhagavad Ghita. I explored Shinto and Zen practices. Loved everything Em does about it. Still do.

In college, though, I realized my prevailing desire was not for a religion or belief system that conformed with what I already believed, but for what simply was objectively, logically right, correct, best to live by. After making some pretty serious mistakes in my life, the moral relativism I used to subscribe to pretty well flew out the window. Reality pretty much beat my opinion of my ability to decide for myself what's right and wrong to death. And in my love for history, I had learned a whole lot about atrocities committed by people, religious or otherwise, who, according to their own personal moral standards, considered themselves "good people." My big questions then were, "So what is good anyway? What is loving? Who decides- us? Since when do we deserve the right to be our own arbiters of good and evil?"

At that point, I no longer regarded "being good" as enough. Being good seemed utterly meaningless when everyone had their own completely and, at times, irreconcileably different ideas of what it meant to be good. And so with my abandonment of non-theism and moral relativism, I came back to monotheism. Learned a bit about Islam (and I love the basic principles of that religion) and joined an interdenominational Bible study organization on campus. But it was while I was studying to convert to Judaism when my rabbi confronted me with what I really needed to do.

So here I am now, a returned Catholic who loves Judaism and deeply cherishes religious freedom.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

The background: Raised Roman Catholic. Attended Roman Catholic schools until 9th grade. Attended Roman Catholic churches every Sunday until I moved out of my parents' house at 18.

Never believed in it. Never. It just did not make the slightest bit of sense to me. Even before I could really explain or argue it, the concept of God just struck me as a bizarre idea. So... He's watching us... He loves us... He is all-powerful... but, um, He never actually does anything. I can remember thinking, probably around age seven that this makes no sense, but "I should pray just in case".

By the time I was getting Confirmed at 12, I was completely convinced that the whole thing was a waste of time. I remember one argument where I was trying to explain that I just didn't want to do it, because I didn't believe in it, and I told my mom I didn't have "the calling". (Heh.) She got upset, of course. I think that was the same argument where she tricked me into doing it by saying that if I wasn't Confirmed, I could never get married and if I ever decided to get married I would have to go through all the tedious courses all over again (I was almost done at that point) so I'd better just finish.

When I was 14(ish) and finally in public school, while researching something (cults?) for some class, I found a book in the school library on religion that had a section on Atheism. This was exciting. I'd never heard of Atheism before. I went home and tried to discuss it with my parents which of course resulted in a huge screaming fight. Bad ideas! Bad! They were so upset I didn't bring it up again.

It's not really possible to explain what I actually believe now. Basically: I believe that I know nothing, but no one else knows anything either. The world is too complicated to understand. I believe in God as a word to sum up the basic laws of the universe. So, God is the world, God is physics, and God is absolutely not conscious. There is no higher consciousness. We have a very limited understanding of the world. There is no ultimate good and evil, because we cannot possibly see the full consequences of any action, and when you get right down to it, nothing we do can truly affect the world. We can affect OUR world, but not THE world.

That's the vague big picture stuff. For the little picture? I believe very strongly in common fucking sense. How do you know what to do? Think about it! Think of your options. Think of the consequences. And after you're done thinking, do whatever you want. Just whatever you do, don't skip the thinking part and don't let anyone else do all your thinking for you.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I was raised pretty much with no religious belief system. My mom was raised in a fairly devout Christian family (I don't know which one - Baptist I believe), and we did go to Sunday school and to church a few times...but the biggest memory I have of church is slipping in my new bright red shoes and spraining the heck out of my ankle (I was 5).

My mom was not a really focused person, and my Dad was an atheist. We just never talked about God growing up, and so I was left to kind of just do my own thing with him. However my father has always been one of the kindest, generous souls. He firmly steeped into me a lot of the beliefs that I have today about the need to help others, be kind and considerate, and to do no ill. For a man that doesn't "believe" he certainly has shown me that a bible isn't required to create a person with a strong moral code. In fact, I thought it was neater that he thought that he should do right for the sake of doing right, rather than doing it for a reward or to avoid punishment.

I prayed a lot as a teen. Mainly I prayed for God to kill me, so I never really got the "answer" I was looking for, because he refused to smite me dead. This upset me sometimes, but it never made me question my faith that there was something "bigger" out there. It just meant to me that I had to live some more. I went through a lot of trials as a teen, but the thing I loved to do the most was go out into nature somewhere - I loved to go hiking for hours in the woods. I felt the nearest to God and peace there. I hated the human race at that age, their pettiness, desire to control and hurt people, the obscure need to always "one up" or be better than the next guy. I found that the companionship of nature and animals was the most pure wonderful thing that I could surround myself with. That was God's love to me - the light, wonderful, gentle peacefulness of it. So I guess you could say that the woods were my church, and I spent a lot of time just talking to God there. I didn't need any "answers" I just was happy to be there, with the sun on my face and the breeze riffling through my hair.

I met a guy who was from a very religious family (Salvation Army). I was at a very low point in my life, and at first he was pretty charming. I went to church with him, and felt the wonderful love and support there great. No matter how Godly this guy felt he was, and no matter how devout he and his wonderful kind family were, he was one of the blackest souls that I have ever met. I was lucky to escape him. That taught me that even if you talk the talk and come for the greatest family, you can still be a very bad person.

I was always questioning why I believed in God, while never doubting that he did exist. I also would question what parts of what religions that I believed in and why I believed in them. I made no real huge study of it, other than reading the entire bible at about 16. I just kind of sniffed around and soaked in things from educational programs, books and tidbits gleaned from others. The nasty darker "God fearing" sort of things that I read and learned about seemed just so...wrong. God to me wasn't some self-centered, hopped up on himself human...he was a divine, all knowing, all loving deity that didn't have to deal with all the stupid stuff that us humans put ourselves through.

I was constantly growing in faith through my early 20's. Instead of fighting all the stuff that I had happen in my life, like I struggled against so hard in my teen years, I learned to just calm down and go with God's plan for me a bit more. Sure, I wasn't impressed when I went through hardship, but I realized that those hardships always taught me something, or eventually enriched my life. I had tried to start to "fit in" a few times with certain groups of people from one church or another, wanting to rejoice in God's love and share the wonders that I always felt of him, but perhaps I just always tried the wrong group of people. Invariably I would always eventually come to someone that would be more interested in telling me why basically God loved them more than myself, or others. That didn't fit into what I wanted to experience with God, so I would then distance myself from them. I would still love to find a church, but for now I take what I can in talking to some of the lovely people that I know about God, and rejoice in what I can, without placing myself in a position where I will have to feel the prejudices of a few of the members.

When I was 24, I was involved in my first disaster - a forest fire. They were evacuating a rural trailer park, and I was the first person from any sort of animal services up there. I stopped a couple of residents to ask them about animals that were needing to be evacuated, that didn't have owners at home (the road by now was blockaded). One man pointed out a home that had a cat, gave me a brief description of her, and said that she was usually outside. I roamed around and around the home, looking for that cat, choking on the thick smoke that was turning the air into this thick orange fog. This, to me, was hell. I was nearly in tears, knowing that I had to get back to the shelter with my load of puppies and a kitten that I had already picked up, but unwilling to leave without that cat, knowing that if the fire overran the trailer park, she would surely die. I sat down for a minute and begged God that to please show me that cat so that I could help her. I felt a peace come over me, and I walked a path around that I had already walked over a dozen times, turned the corner and bing. There she was sitting calm as could be on a woodpile that I had been through many times. I thanked God, scooped her up, and bawled my eyes out all the way back to the shelter thankful for the help that I had gotten, and struck by the wonderfulness of the feeling of it all.

A few years later, I had a similar but even stronger experience...over candy. This may seem silly, but I was responsible for bringing these valentines’ hearts to a crop that I and several other ladies had planned, and I lost them. We had just moved into our new house, things were chaotic, and I am just plain forgetful to boot. I spent two days scouring the house for these stupid candies, and was frustrated and mad at myself beyond belief. It was way past Valentines Day, so I couldn't even just go buy more. At the time, this was a big deal to me. I was a failure, an idiot and I was letting people down - a thing that I hate to do. So I eventually gave up looking, sat and cried a good long time, and then just sat and asked God "Look, I know this is ridiculous, but could you just please help me find these candies?” The same peaceful feeling that I had before came over me, and I stood up with my eyes half lidded, just relaxing into the sensation. I walked down several different sets of stairs, and around corners till I got down into the basement crawl space, pointed at a set of boxes. At this point in time I was feeling a little weird, because I'd already gone through everything, and couldn't figure out why I would ever stick them in a pile of Christmas decorations. So I paused and opened my eyes and asked "are you really sure about this?” At that point I felt the sensation of gentle, but firm pressure on my shoulders, which pushed me to my knees. It shocked me, but it wasn't scary at all. I was kind of like "well OK then." I opened the box in front of me. Bingo. Thanks God. That was very cool - even if it was just over candies ;).

So...as far as classifying me, I haven't really done that. I consider myself a Christian, because I do believe in Jesus and all that stuff (which sounds flippant, but its not). However I also believe that there isn't just one magic set of rules for people to follow in order to lead them to God and to heaven like a yellow brick road - I believe that anyone can find God, regardless of what or who they want to call it/him/her/them. I think that it is up to people to either choose to follow the path of the Lord (being kind, doing well) or not (being evil, spreading hate and terror). I think that a person’s actions dictate more about them, and their Godliness, than any amount of tithing, praying or “faithfulness” can. I don't think of heaven as the prize at the end for a select few...I think of it as a place that you go if you lived a good and loving life, or one that you choose to abandon by living the darker path.

The last year or so I have read a couple of Sylvia Browne books. While I certainly don't take anything piecemeal from anyone...and I don't believe everything that she says. But her message of a loving, wonderful Father of us all matches what I have felt in my soul since I can remember - and I think that is pretty cool.

I realize that I will always have things to learn about being a better person, and I will always be learning more about God, love and this world that we live in. I know that I am allowed to change my mind about stuff too. Any way that the cookie crumbles, I know that God loves me as I love him, and that’s all that really matters about anything. It’s nice.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Hey, feel free to comment, everyone! Everyone can share beliefs and ask questions; as I understand it, that's the purpose of the thread. So I'll kick it off with some interesting stuff I read.

Saint Kurt> I'm sorry about the problems you've had with your faith. Kicking a kid out for having a rosary seems to be a bit extreme, but I've never grown up in a Jewish family. I share your experiences with Easter religions like Buddhism though; the majority of my beliefs come from Taoism;
Originally posted by Saint Kurt
So I read a lot of books on Tibetan and Theravaya Buddhism and practiced daily meditation for years.
A good practice for everyone. Meditation doesn't have to be spiritual, but it is very healthy.
Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
Im what...is it called in there? Protestant maybe?
So simply. I dont go to church i dont read bible i dont do any of that.
But i still someways belive in god. Cross is one of the "finest" symbols i know.
Thats about all of my faith etc.
Crocodile Hunter> Well, that's not Protestantism, but it seems like you're just not sure of your faith and aren't committed, which is normal. If you every have any questions about Protestantism, I'm sure you can feel free to ask in this thread; I was raised Protestant though obviously it didn't take. :P

JeanGay> That really is a great story! It's interesting how people automatically attribute humanity to Christianity, if you know what I mean. Anyone can be a good person, regardless of their religion.
Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
...but the biggest memory I have of church is slipping in my new bright red shoes and spraining the heck out of my ankle (I was 5).
Paws> Oh my God, I definitely know what you mean. I'm feeling it. Right now. *wince*
I prayed a lot as a teen. Mainly I prayed for God to kill me, so I never really got the "answer" I was looking for, because he refused to smite me dead. This upset me sometimes...
And I definitely know what that's like. Ah, the teenage years... :)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by HoodedMan
A good practice for everyone. Meditation doesn't have to be spiritual, but it is very healthy.
How does meditation work? From what I've heard you just sit quietly and think of nothing for awhile, which is... I guess what I'm asking is, how is it better than sleeping? Or drinking.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Meditation's not necessarily nothing, or even just sitting quietly. It's focussing the mind. It can be done while walking or taking a quick break from work. I learned, literally, from a book called Meditation for Dummies then from a Zen teacher I knew.

There are many types of meditation, for all different religions, as noted here, but there is no one specific way. I generally use a combination of autohypnosis and music, and I choose to slow down my heart rate and breathing (forgot the word) rate. This is, of course, not necessary and takes practise.

Steer clear of the people who sell tapes and such. I haven't tried them and they may work, but are not necessary. As I said, I didn't really learn it from the Internet but it's possible; I'd look at that Wikipedia link; there's a link to secular meditation (autogenic training) you can try. I'd steer clear of sites that look very heavily into the mystical too; you get the same techniques but have to wade through more to get it.

I hope I helped; ask me if you have any questions.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I've been meaning to try meditation (Em sent me a really kick ass book on it!). I've heard nothing but great things about it. And I feel like if I set aside part of my day to clear my mind like this, focusing on whats important in my day would be easier....or, just focusing in general ;)

Also, I hear it's great for ridding yourself of negative energy. And with my job (and that woman I hate) I could use a nice cleanse....

[Edited on 30/3/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I personally love meditation...I do it for pain relief. If you relax so totally, and clear your mind and just focus on taking deep cleansing breaths with your eyes closed its wonderfully liberating. I also often visualize a pure white light surrounding me and embrasing me...bringing more peace and wonder. Everyone will have a tad bit of difference in how they prefer to mediate...the trick is finding what works for you.

It takes a bit of practice, and you may feel like an ass the first few times you do it. I find it kind of addictive - now even if I am really stressed out I will even take 10 seconds to do it while stopped at a red light, or 30 seconds while I am waiting in a checkout line. These "quickies" can really help break the cycle of impatience and stress that we can get caught in with our daily grind.

As for the sprained ankle, I guess I shouldn't have been running in church then, eh? :LOL I got smited.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

I personally love meditation...I do it for pain relief. If you relax so totally, and clear your mind and just focus on taking deep cleansing breaths with your eyes closed its wonderfully liberating. I also often visualize a pure white light surrounding me and embrasing me...bringing more peace and wonder. Everyone will have a tad bit of difference in how they prefer to mediate...the trick is finding what works for you.
Meditation is great for pain relief. The only time I mediate laying on my back is when my mirgaines are really bad. It's a different type of meditation then my grounding/refocusing, and often I feel like I am floating gently in a warm bubble which is completely different than the vertigo that I often get. There have been times it was the only thing that kept from screaming until the meds caused me to pass out.

Actually, it's wonderful for blood pressure reduction as well. One time my BP shot up to over 215/108 and I finally had to kick everyone out of the room as they were terrifing me. I sat down on the floor, and meditated for about 20 minutes - my BP dropped to 140/64 (still not good, but not life threatening).
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I don't think I need meditation. I have no pain, no stress, my focus is good... I might already do it to fall asleep though. I go to my happy place. (I'm not talking about jerking off, dammit.)

Thanks to this thread and aaaaaall the other threads and aaaaaaall the discussions and everything... my "autonomous technology" essay has taken a major turn for the religious.

I'm not even kidding. It fits together shockingly well. I'm going to get an A. Yay for you guys!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Hmm... I haven't posted in this thread yet, because i wasn't quite sure where to begin... so maybe if i just start typing, it will come out. :P

Short answer, I am an atheist with Buddhist and Secular Humanist leanings.

Long answer.... It took me a while to realize what I was. I have ALWAYS been an atheist, (the definition being lack of a belief in any god, and I've always lacked that belief) but it was not something I put a label to until I was in my mid teens. Until then, there was no thought in my mind as to what I was. I was just me. My personality, values, etc. all came from sources other than religion, (except possibly indirectly) and I never really gave it a second thought. It's not that i wasn't aware of religion... It's just what I was, it was never labled by my parents as anything because it wasn't a huge thing to them (my mother is ex-catholic, my father is a second generation atheist himself), and it made sense to me. I knew other people were religious, I mostly encountered Christians, sang religious Christmas carols at school and family gatherings, (though Easter I was convinced was all about bunnies and eggs for a long time. Never knew it was associated with the resurrection of Christ, orany pagan religion, for that matter, for a very long time) got a bible handed out to me at (public!) school which I did read at least part of, I kept it for several years. And when I would visit my maternal grandparents, they would say grace at meals, went to their church once or twice, they had crucifixes in every room, usually placed so it was reflected in a mirror, and they had a 150 year old family bible that they had out on the coffee table... (now in the posession of my sister) so I was definitely aware that religion, Chrstianity of the Catholic variety in particular, existed, and knew the basic beliefs. It's just I didn't exactly see a reason to take it as something that was 'real' I saw it as something people did... well, I am not really sure why I (at the time) thought people did it, to tell you the truth. It just seemed very alien. It still does, to be perfectly honest.

Anyway... around when I was 12 or so, my mother gave my sister and I a talking to about religion. She had studied comparative religion in college, and gave us a run down of many religions, and encouraged us to look into them if we felt we were missing something. She didn't push one in particular, I think she just realized some people need that kind of thing in their lives, so would make sure we were aware. We discussed it with her in a lot of depth, actually... we asked questions she would answer, we'd ask why, talk about what did and did not make sense, etc. So my sister and I looked into things a bit, (still are. it's not like it would be easy to cram the knowledge of the world's religions into your head in a lifetime, let alone a few months or years) and I gave what I believed (or didn't) a bit more thought. My sister read the bible and briefly tried Christianity on for size, before coming to the conclusion she believed in a more nature based idea of a god, and finally becomming Wiccan. It makes her happy, so I am happy for her, and I buy her runes, tarot decks and such as presents, and she seems to like that. I gave the bible a fresh look over as well, and where when I was younger I just liked the stories, I saw that now that I was looking at it as the possible source of a serious answer to deep questions about Life, the universe, and everything, it didn't hold up to scrutiny. Nothing made sense to me. It contradicted itself, the scientific explanations for things like evolution and the big bang made a TON more sense to me. and I just couldn't see how it was any more credible than the Greek legends about Zeus and whatnot. And because my mother had introduced us to many religions, the fact that they all claimed to be the one and only way was very confusing. They couldn't ALL be right, but there was no way to really judge which, if any, were true. I read a lot on Asatru, thinking of going with it out of pride of my heritige (I'm half Danish, half european mutt) but... while i like the 9 noble virutes a lot, it is a very ancient, religion, and it shows. It's fairy tales, and it's obvious. Though they do stress most of the stories are ment as allgory and are not to be taken literally. Like many in this thread, I liked Buddhism in many respects, (however due to lack of internet at the time and lack of access to any good books on the subject, I didn't learn a lot about it until i was 16 or so) but didn't feel the need to actively call myself Buddhist. Just take what I found good about it and incorporate it into my own life. Buddhism's cool like that. If i was forced to associate myself with a religion, it would be Buddhism.

So I knew then, really, that I honestly didn't believe any gods existed. I was lacking belief before, but it was more that I just didn't give it much thought. Now I had given it more thought, and was more certain that it was true that none existed. After coming to this decision in my mid teens I quickly learned it was best to keep it mostly to myself. I was starting to pay more attention to the news and began to see how much people valued religious belief and what some felt about those who lacked it, and many (not all) people that I would tell would treat me with pity, revulsion, astonishment, etc. many would try to 'save' me, and that's incredibly annoying, so I just stopped telling people in real life, unless I was asked directly. It's not important that they know, anyway. On the internet, it's a bit different.

I should interject a bit about my parents. I learned a lot from them, mostly that you don't need religion to be a good person. My mother is heavily involved with Girl Guides, it's like she holds two full time jobs sometimes, she dedicates so much of her time to it. But i really have to admire my father, especially. He, like me, has never been religious. (His grand parents were 7th Day Adventists, though) He came with his family from Denmark when he was 11, not speaking english, and spending his first 5 years in Canada living in a converted turkey roost in a small town near Drumheller. No hot water or electricity. He became quite fascinated with technology when he finally had the means to have access to it, probably mostly because he knew what life without it was like. Getting to the point.... I admire him, and get most of my values and personality from him because, if he doesn't know how to solve something, he invents a way to overcome it. He sees lack of knowledge as no obstacle, if he doesn't know something, he will find the answer. And if he sees where his skills can be used to help, he will do it. And he's completely modest about it. He invents all these gadgets and tools, designs (or just improves) ingenious devices, programs, and solutions to problems, and he's just... it's nothing to him. He could sell these things, market them, (you should see all the custom tools he's made for his lathe. ingenious.) but he doesn't. He gives these things away to anyone who wants it, and doesn't expect anything in return. The most notable example of this is his work at the Fanning Center. the Fanning Center is a long term care hospital, and is home to many quadrapalegics. Well, my dad usd to run a BBS, and one of his moderators was a patient there, confined for the rest of his life to a wheelchair, he typed one key at a time with a stick held in his mouth. but he had ALS, and would continue to deteriorate, and that would not work for much longer. My dad decided he could make his situation better, so he did. He Customized his computer so he could use it more easily. While at the Fanning Center, he saw more people in need, and helped them, too. He donated computers to them constructed out of spare parts (he sells computers, so he would ask for trade ins) and constructed systems for these people suffering from paralysis, ALS, strokes, etc. with special head mounted laser inputs and everything, absolutely free of charge. Thanks to him and the internet, hey could finally communicate with the outside world again with relative ease. And after he was done, he would visit them once a week or more. Their own families would often neglect to visit them for a year or more at a time, and he would visit them once a week. And he did this, and didn't think it was anything special. I went with him sometimes, and it's tough, seeing people like that. But he'd chat with them like old friends, and I think it gave them a lot of comfort. The newspaper wanted to interview him sometimes, and he could never figure out why. he just assumed this is what everyone did. When the articles came out, he'd be embarassed about them, and never wanted to talk about them. This is as natural as breathing to him. Can't have morals without religion, my ass.

Anyway... my dad was fairly attached to old school BBS's, and we got the internet a bit late, but once we did, I was able to read a bit more about atheism, and after a while discovered (I was around 18 I guess) what Secular Humanism was, and discovered that many of my beliefs matched very well with theirs. I didn't really feel the need to identify myself as one, though. I had made it this far in life without affiliating myself with a group, and I didn't feel the need now. But I think they have good ideas.

So... what does all this mean? To explain a bit, I will try and answer some common questions I get a lot. And if anyone else has questions, go ahead, it's ok. I realize many religious people feel my stance is as alien as I find theirs... just don't judge me. That's rude.

Do you feel you're missing something in life?/does it make you sad? no. not in the slightest. I am very secure in my non belief, and as explaine above, I may not have deconverted from any religion, but my stance is not an uninformed one. if i felt i was missing something or was sad about my non belief, i would have found some religion that suitedme. I'm happy with my beliefs.

Aren't you afraid of Hell? No. I don't believe in Hell, so I don't see that there is anything to be afraid of.

Where do you get your morals? My parents, society, empathy. see my story about my dad above, or Jeangay's (great) story. I don't believe in absolute morality, I believe morality is subjective, to a degree. I believe that as a social species, humans gradually developed a natural tendency to follow certain behaviors that serve to strengthen the community and to not follow behaviors that hinder it. Not everyone does this naturally, obviously, or we wouldn't have prisons. But in general, we can agree in broad terms what is right and wrong because of that. stealing, killing, etc. is not a productive way to live in a society. If we allowed that to happen unchecked, things would fall apart. I live by the simple creed of not doing something that I wouldn't want done to me. and yes, I know that's in the bible, but it's not in JUST the bible, it's in many religions, because it's COMMON SENSE.

Science can't answer X! what do you say to that?!(usually referring to the beginning of the universe or life) ...So? Science can't answer a lot of things.... yet. It's an ever evolving system, we are learning new things all the time, and I don't see that will ever stop. I'm confident science will be able to explain things we don't understand today at some point in the future. In the mean time, I don't see the problem with admitting we simply don't know everything.

Aren't you afraid of death? Not particularly. I'm not eager to get there, but it's not something I look forward to with dread. I believe that when we die, it's nothingness, which is nothing to fear, from my perspective. I see it as it is what we do with our life now which will give us the ability to 'live on' through our work.

You celebrate Christmas? why? More accurately I celebrate the season, and celebrate family. My family has a long standing tradition of a large gathering at Christmas where we exchange gifts and have a traditional Danish Christmas Eve dinner. it's about tradition, not about Christ, in our case.

[Edite

[Edited on 30/3/06 by Bamfette]
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

boo...You know I have to, if I haven't been obvious from the start!

Slightly backslidden, conservative Christian mystic who believes God can move anytime through anyone from Caiaphas the High Priest, who prophesied Jesus was to die for the sins of His people to Foreigner, whose song "I Want to Know What Love Is" has stirred kids in churches wanting to know more of who the LORD is in their everyday life. God is a Person, a Spirit, and a Path...a Triune Being Who will reveal Himself to anyone who really wants to find Him. And even if you enter the Door a little backwards and to the left, if you really want to know Him, He'll grab you by your shoulders with whatever force is necessary...from a car accident to a baby's cry at birth...and reveal Himself to you. You just have to open your eyes, and want to see.

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Chlorine
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Chlorine »

:) I like the idea of this thread! I have read all the replies so far...:nodyes Sooo...Now I suppose I shall post my own response!

I was not raised to be any particular thing religiously. I learned most of what I knew about religion from TV, and generally took the existance of Heaven, angels, and God for a simple fact. Their existence to me was as basic as the existance of air, my mother, and Santa Claus. Thus I spent my childhood floating unconcernedly hither and thither never giving religion much thought.

Then, in a puff of pretentiousness, I became a teenager. I decided I was an atheist through and through. This clashed, though, with some beliefs I had received osmotically from my mother and grandmother--Astrology, ghosts, past lives...New Agey stuff. I struggled with the meaning of life for a small while, but being a lazy person I decided to just give up. This and other things led to the crappy portion of my life, wherein I was just a big fat blubbering ball of teen angst.:yech

I had a wonderful epiphany-slash-catharsis when I was fifteen. Something great simply struck me one day. Put simply, it was that I should not wallow (as I had been), but bask in the meaninglessness of life. The whole event was quite poetic; I got on my knees and felt my connection to the universe, laughed like a lunatic and said "Thank you," to the God I didn't even believe in.

The event of my early fifteenhood has led to me being able to comfortably explore religion. I'm not quite sure what I'd call myself now...But that's fine, because I've decided I'm not supposed to be anything. I've also decided to not make decisions like that one, and that contradictory statements make sense.

There are times when that connection to the universe thing happens again...I become overwhelmed with feelings of gratitude and get small glimpses of myself from the point of view of Everything. It's spontaneous, shocking, grand and happy. I would describe it as a religious experience...'Miracle' is a good word.:nodyes

I pretty much do not believe in God, as in Mr. God, cradling the world and forgiving sinners and pinching baby cheeks. I believe in (obviously) the energy of the universe, and I worship it by being a part of it.

I feel that everything is good. Telling people I feel this way usually invites arguments..."Do you think the Holocaust was good? Is rape good?" etc. My actual feeling is that "everything is itself," but so far, nobody but me seems to find much point to that statement, so I stick with "everything is good" when explaining to other people. The basic idea is that "bad" things lead to good things. But how can the concept of good exist without the concept of bad? That's how you get "everything is itself"--meaning (to me) that things lead to things...There isn't good or bad, really. Stuff just happens.

But I'm getting more into philosophy than religion, huh? I'll stop now.

[Edited on 5/12/06 by Chlorine]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Chlorine
I feel that everything is good. Telling people I feel this way usually invites arguments..."Do you think the Holocaust was good? Is rape good?" etc. My actual feeling is that "everything is itself," but so far, nobody but me seems to find much point to that statement, so I stick with "everything is good" when explaining to other people. The basic idea is that "bad" things lead to good things. But how can the concept of good exist without the concept of bad? That's how you get "everything is itself"--meaning (to me) that things lead to things...There isn't good or bad, really. Stuff just happens.
That's how I've felt lately. It's wonderful to see someone thinking/feeling the same way.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

I was raised Catholic/Presbyterian (sp?) and some how survived the experience. I have been called a "Gaea-ist" by some people and a God-less heathen by others. I am of the wait and see crew, sort of Gnostic I guess. I am more spiritual than religious, I guess I'm kind of a nature/life worshipper with Buddist philosophical leanings these days.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama