the official LOST on 'scrawlers thread *SPOILERS*

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I know a few of my fellow Scrawlers are also hopelessly hooked on the TV series 'LOST'. If you're not, you suck, and you should make up for your suckitude by buying (or renting) the first season on DVD and donating 25 hours of your time to it. ;)

**SPOILER WARNING: If you're not up to date on LOST (Season 2, Episode 1 at the time of this warning) and don't wish to be spoiled, stop reading HERE.

Anyway, season two started on Wednesday with a bang, but in the method typical of this series, not in the typical TV way.

Questions went unanswered, the episode focused nearly entirely on a single character after a series finale involving nearly all of them, and even more questions were raised.

This is one of the things I love most about the series: It regularly breaks TV rules, but always does it in such a way that either few notice or few care.

I know people will bitch about this episode: It's too focused on one character, it doesn't resolve last season's mysteries, there's no hook or in for new veiwers.

Meh. Get over it. This is NOT typical television.

Now to the nitty gritty. Numbering my notes for easy response.

1. Desmond is in the hatch. He's what turns on the lights, he's apparently the only one down there, and he seems to be living quite comfortably.

2. The numbers are EVERYWHERE in this ep. On the outside of the hatch, painted on the wall in the hatch, on Desmonds otherwise unnamed "medication"...and Hurley begins repeating them compulsively. Just thought that was somethign to note.

3. Also: Given that we can date Jack's marriage and therefore his meeting of Desmond to sometime in the 90s, it can't possibly be Desmond's hatch. The technology looks to be late 80s at the latest (to me...PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) and so he probably did not build it.

The technology also dates the hatch to sometime before Michelle (Crazy French Chick) arrived, but that doesn't necessarily mean it predates the Transmission of Numbers that drew her there.

4. Walt in the jungles: WTF? Could "The Others", who whisper in the woods, be ghosts? Is Walt dead? My immediate reaction was "Shit! They killed Walt! That's right ballsy of them!"

But as I thought about it, I guess we'll see.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Ok....I'm close....very close....to just spending the $50 or whatever and buying the first season blindly....is it really worth it people? Tell me....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Yes, it is. However, my husband and I took the less expensive option and taped every episode last season. And to officially celebrate on Wednesday, we broke open a new case of beer and blank VHS's. :)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

Netflicks. I've saved plenty of money renting up to 3 DVD's at a time, watching obsessively, getting them in the mail promptly, and thereby viewing a whole season of TV in a couple weeks. It's a LOT cheaper than buying most TV. If I know I'll watch it more than o nce (Firefly) I'll buy, but if I just want to get caught up, Netflicks is the way to go.

Oh, and Lost is totally worth it. Second to Battlestar Galactica, it's the best show on the air right now.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Yes, it's worth it...though you can probably save a good bit of money buying a used boxset from Amazon. People buy sets, copy them, and immediately put them up on Amazon at a discount. Probably save you $15 or so.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

I don't think Walt is dead. Remember there's been plenty of episodes with hallucinations. Jack and his father. Boone and his sister getting attacked. He was whispering something, like he was trying to tell Shannon. It looks like he escaped them for just a second and was trying to warn her.

I'm not sure if that is actually Desmond. I heard a Doppelganger theory tat reated to the numbers and it was way too coincidental to just be...coincidental. But yeah that graffitti wall had numbers all up on them.

If you go to the official website and mess around, especially with the numbers you'll learn a lot. For instance: SPOILERS BELOW

Supposedly the back of the plane is going to be found and a few of the people there are still alive, including that girl who talked to Jack in the airport bar.There's a reason they showed very specific scenes in the opening hour long recap episode.
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Ahh, but with Jack's father, he WAS dead.

And with Boone and Shannon, it was drugs.

But tell me more about this Doppleganger theory.

And yeah, the theory about the back of the plane, as far as I know, comes out of the fact that the actress who played the Airport Bar Girl is going to be in episodes this season...but with around half of the series being in Flashback, to me that means nothing.

As for Walt being actually, physically in the jungle, having escaped the others temporarily, I don't think so...just because he was SOPPING wet, just pouring water, and deep in the jungle. If it were really him, he would have dried more than that...and with the sybolism that is all over this show...honestly, I think he got away while on the boat, jumped overboard, and drowned.

Of course, given what we saw in the first season, with the Polar Bear being in the comic and then suddenly being real, it's hard to believe Walt is dead. He alsmost seems to be the nexus of everything that's happening.

And remember that Walt didn't want to leave...
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I saw the final episode of season one and was kind of sorry I missed it...though I'm not about to shell out big bucks to buy it...I'm sure it'll hit pay TV soon enough...I'll catch it there...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Originally posted by John_Pritzlaff on the LOST message board
I recently found an interesting natuarlly occuring thoery found in our world that states everyone has a mirror image somewhere in the world. You may have heard of this. Roussau's genetic mirror theory says that everyone in the world has an exact twin somewhere, however according to the theory you never encounter this person, by laws of probablitly and other natuaral occuring phemnomen. Its the theory that was devised by a French Mathematician named Marseille Roussau in the year 1988. He used a series of numbers to explain his theory. Now I know you're not going to believe this but here goes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Let me explain...

The 4 stands for 4 degrees of separation (not 6 or 7 as commonly stated. Roussau believed that everyone in the world was connected by four different people. So in theory could meet yourself by using four different people connected to you. Example: Your brother's, boss's, neighbor nephew, knows your mirror. Hard to believe, I know but keep reading.

The 8 stands for the eight continent, or the only place in the world where you could meet your mirror. He calculated it to be somewhere in the south pacific. Now we know its not actually as large as the other contintents but its used figurtively because everyone in all 7 continents could meet there mirror on the 8th universal continent.

The 15 stands for the chances of you acually meeting yourself on this place, as in 15 out of 4,815,162,342. Look at the second set "815." Ring any bells? Interesting huh?

The 16 stands for the maximum amount of people that could encounter thier twin all at the same time. Think about the number of main characters.

The 23 is the number of years apart your twin and yourself are. You are not the same age as your twin. By chance and probablity it takes 23 years exactly for the same genes that made you to be connected again to form another you.

The 42 stands for the maximimum number of years your twin and yourself can be alive at the same time. However people do die at diffferent times so thats why everyone isn't dead at 75. For example my twin was born on Sept. 6 2003 b/c i was born on Spet. 6 1980. Now that doesn't mean i will die in the year 2045, I could, but its not set in stone. My twin could die when he is 16, and then the whole thing starts over again.

This is all very complicated and I don't know how well I explained it but the connections with the show are too coinidental to not be real.

Roussau and his team (wife, included) went to the 8th continent. You can figure out how they died and why by the numbers and equations. It also fits with every character. You can predict when they will die. There are others on the island who are twins of the survivors, but have been there 23 years longer.

There is a book Roussau wrote 16 years ago in 1988 when he came up with the theory. Thats where I got it from.
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

LOST is so cool. total trip.

btw, Walt wasn't just speaking gibberish, he was speaking backwards. he said
:Spoilers:

Press the Button. No Buttons bad.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

I didn't even catch that he'd spoken at all.

Have you run any of the other whispers from "The Others" through a backwards talky machiney thing?

And that's a total :stunned there, Hsu. If all that is true, and this guy isn't just blowing smoke up our asses, then obviously that book is the source material for LOST, at least in part.

Will have to check out whether that book is real or not.

Oh, and I'm willing to bet two things because of that:
1. The baby is Boone.
2. Boone was 23.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I've obviously been under a rock for the past year. I had never even heard of Lost until a couple weeks ago, and apparently it's the best thing since sliced bread. Dagnabbit, we're still working on buying all the Angel boxed sets, we can't start another series now! How much fun will I be missing out on if we just wait until the end of the series and then buy the sets?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, after my two hours of dance class, watching Lost is the highlight of my Wednesdays.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Originally posted by Slarti
I've obviously been under a rock for the past year. I had never even heard of Lost until a couple weeks ago, and apparently it's the best thing since sliced bread. Dagnabbit, we're still working on buying all the Angel boxed sets, we can't start another series now! How much fun will I be missing out on if we just wait until the end of the series and then buy the sets?
I've been watching the first Season with my sister (who having missed a couple episodes just decided to wait so as to not gt confused) The entire show is a string of cliffhangers. Small cliffhangers between commercials, bigger ones between episodes and huge ones between seasons.

It is so much less fun when you don't have those 2 minutes, week, months to go "Whoa! Did you see?! And the stuff, and the guy?! YEAH!"

So. Go rent the first season. Find a torrent of the first one, and tape tonight's. ;)
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Looks like that thing about the French Mathematician is a plant by the creators of the show. Doing a little diggin on the intarwub has revealed that it originally came from the LOST official website, but has since been changed to something much more innocuous.

So it may hold perfectly true within the LOST mythos (we've not seen any obvious duplicates yet, though I would suspect that Boone dying and the baby's birth being on the same day [Was it the 23rd day?] was not coincidental) or it may be a mistake that it was available or it could be a joke played on all of us little intarwub LOST freaks.
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Hmm, true. They do seem to like to give us clues that lead to theories that are totally wrong. The bastards. ;)

Does anyone else find it weird that Jin survived shark infested rumors by himself? Oh! And did anyone else see the logo on the shark's tail?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I don't think it's so weird. More often than not (thank heaven), sharks tend to leave people alone. What got this shark's attention was Sawyer splashing around and bleeding.

Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Yeah but this is obviously not a normal shark. It was branded.
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

Something else from the first episode...

Requisite

asterisk

Spoiler

Space

It would seem that Jack's (ex?)-wife hit Boone and Shannon's dad in that car accident.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Well, everybody IS interconnected. Like Desmond having met Jack before.

And Walt and the baby having eerily similar origins (sons of painters, being raised by someone who gave them up/was going to give them up...).

I didn't see the "brand" on the shark, but I was watching on my computer...
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

The brand on the shark was in the scene where it swims right in front of the camera underwater. It was right by its tail and went by real quick.
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Well, what did everyone think of the latest episode? Personally I'm not a big Locke fan. I know he's the most popular character or whatever but he just bugs the crap outta me. Overall I think this episode was just okay. I didn't really need the pseudo tension surrounding "pushing the button" but we did learn a bit about what the hell is going on. Oh and was that not the most vague instructional video ever?

"Welcome to top secret military thing! Here's some video of people what built it. Press this button! Bye!"
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I wanted to see Locke enter the wrong code, just to see what would happen. :evil

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Im really hooked on the series, i had a little break between seasons 1 and 2
but when i saw the first episode of season 2. I got so excited.
after seeing 3 episodes of second season i started to wonder. How can someone make so good TV-series.
I mean, this is one of my all time favourite TV-series. :nodyes
3 episode was as exciting and "funny" as the rest of the series
i laughed at the part where sawyer said "Next time Shaft opens the cage, *pulls gun* hes gonna get a surprising howdy-doody". :D

and the shark, it was probably from the same manufacturer as the
polarbear and the thing that as i recall it wasnt showed at anytime of the series.
Anyways heres the shark tail with the logo.
(i added some contrast so youll see it better)

theatrepirate
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by theatrepirate »

One of the things that makes Sawyer's character so appealing is that he always gets, hands down, the best lines in the entire script! I also enjoyed from the second episode when he pulls the bullet from his shoulder, looks at Mike, and says "got a band aid?" I mean, jeez, he gets to call people "cupcake," "sister," "freckles," and "Shaft," for goodness' sake!

The only two things I had some trouble with in epidsoe 3 were the big fight over the button (what's the big deal? Just push it now and figure out what the heck it's for later! Who cares?!!) and the fact that Jin, Mike, and Sawyer were so quick to trust the new girl (Anna Lucia?) in the pit. I mean, they showed her the gun and everything. I thought it was a bit of a stretch considering how that are still having issues trusting each other...:?

BTW...I was watching an older episode of Angel on F/X channel yesterday morning as I was getting ready for school, and one of the lawyers walked in (I think it was Hart from Wolfram and Hart) and who was it...? Jin!! :eek I thought I had seen that actor before!!

...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain