Music

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Music

Post by Bamfette »

yeah, I am being a post-whore tonight. am trying to keep discussion going besides the game threads :P

anyway. we had a thread like this way back, but thought i would bring it up again....

what are your favorite bands? any recent albums to come out that have impressed you?

me, I am right now listening to Tori Amos's latest, 'Beekeeper', and liking it a lot. but i tend to like everything of Tori's ;) I also got The Killers 'Hot Fuss' and liked that a lot.

my tastes in general tend to be eclectic, and quite varied but some names you can usually find in my playlist are a ton of movie themes, (as mentioned earlier) Tori Amos, the Exies, The Dresden Dolls, Evanescence, The Cure, Fiona Apple, Siouxie & The Banshees, the Stones, Beatles, Tea Party, Weezer, Green Day, NIN, Bowie, Marilyn Manson, Letters to Cleo, Jack Off Jill, Lacuna Coil, Garbage, BNL.... etc.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Music

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Listening to Japanese Rock Bands, Dir en grey, Malice Mizer and Nightmare.
Also listening to Danish "jesus" metal band called Extol
one of my latest favorite bands are; The Servant (found it after watching sin city trailer, and hearing the song cells), Joe Perry (saw the song "Shakin My Cage" Live in Conan), Pendulum (Hard Drum'n Bass).

info about Dir en grey, Malice Mizer and Nightmare you can find by using google. I got all the albums of Dir En Grey. - 3 Kisou, Gauze, Vulgar, Macabre, Withering To Death and Six Ugly.

Here are the two best songs of dir en grey. I love them.

http://media.putfile.com/04-Raison-detre

http://media.putfile.com/12-Akuro-no-oka
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Music

Seems that not many people posting to the boards like new topics. :E
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Music

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, that was posted almost two weeks ago.

I tend to like older bands than most, like Led Zeppelin (Stairway forever!), Aerosmith, and the like. I just went to a Beach Boys concert... :eek

Of course, I also like some modern tunes (I stress some; a lot of them are crap) like Rammstein, Linkin Park, and more that I probably like rather a lot but can't think of off the top of my head.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Music

Post by Angelique »

This happens when I'm feeling especially creative. But I've been listening to a lot of 19th century stuff lately. Beethoven, Schubert, Verdi, pretty much all of them except Wagner. (There's an explanation as to why in a fic I'm finishing.)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Music

Post by HoodedMan »

Ah. Well, I look forward to the fic at least. And gotta LOVE your signature (though it looks misspelled to me): I had to memorise Erlkönig for school ages ago and still have it... :yuck
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Music

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Hmmm.. I like alot of different things...depends on my mood.

NIN, Bowie, Marilyn Manson, HIM, A Perfect Circle, Velvet Revolver, Billy Idol, George Thourogood(sp?):shrug,Kidney Thieves , Lorena McKennit, Enya, Frank Sinatra, Cake, Beck, System of a Down, LOve KORN:love, Theory of a dead man, Garbage, Filter, Kittie, Scorpions, Thin Lizzie, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, Eurithmics, Kasabian, Interpoleantics, Fall out Boy,The Damning Well, Pucifer, Milla, Skinny Puppy, Finch, Lisa Germano, Sarah Bettens,311, P.O.D., QUEEN, Muse, Disturbed, Primus, Gravity Kills,MOnster Magnet,Slipknot, staind, Rob Zombie,White Zombies, Chevelle, Static-X, House of Pain, Cypress Hill,MUdvayne,Barry Manilow, Tom Jones:love and alot of big bands that I can never remember the names...lots of 80's music!

No specific order.
one name: Bruce Campbell
AceOfHearts
Lubber
Lubber

Music

Post by AceOfHearts »

I am a huuuuuuge fan of the bands My Chemical Romance and The Used.
They have to be my favourites.
I also listen to bands like: Senses Fail, From First To Last, Alkaline Trio, System Of A Down, AFI, Anthrax, Coheed And Cambria, Coldplay, Cradle Of Filth, Fall Out Boy, Misfits, Nirvana, Radiohead, Taking Back Sunday, The White Stripes and sooo much more.
:tail
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Music

Post by Maelstrom »

Well, it's not quite classical....

I have a great fondness for 40s jazz, swing and otherwise. Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Satchmo.... The list goes on and on. I've gotten a taste for 50s bebop, but never liked "free" jazz of the 60s. (Sounds like people tuning up, IMHO.)

I also like "old school" soul, "classic" rock (bow down to Rush and the great Zepplin!), and newer jazz, fusion, smooth, or "cool". (I think cool is just a marketing term, tho, because it's really the same thing that's been around since the 40s....)

And, when I can get it, Celtic style music, from folk bands like Golden Bough to celtic rock like Tempest, to traditional soloists like Maggie Sandstone. Medieval music as well, though it's a bit harder to find.

My tastes are pretty eclectic, to say the least. The kind of stuff I don't like is rap, heavy-duty country, punk, and thrash metal. Something about deep-voiced screaming vocalists that sound like they've been demonically posessed just doesn't interest me.

And I don't really like Mariachi music, which wouldn't be much of an issue if i didn't live in California. For some reason, every recording I've heard of a Mariachi band sounds like it's off key to me. (Sometimes it sucks having perfect pitch.... :stunned)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Music

Post by Angelique »

Ah, yes. Gotta love the Celtic and Medieval. But then, I play in a Celtic band. I teach Irish dance. And I got to perform with Golden Bough once! :D And I specialized in early music in college. So when I want to just listen to music, I usually listen to something different. As for my siggy, unless the music publisher misspelled it, I got it right. (Actually, I do think it's the musical equivalent of poetic license. I know the French composers did that all the time, changing words to fit the music, and such.)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Music

when im on creative mood i usually listen to some music without the singing, like OST's
when drawing fantasy = lotr
action = Sin City (this time favorite)
etc.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Music

Post by HoodedMan »

o0. I told you you all would make me remember some.

Celtic == <3. I got copies of Enchanted Forest and Hooded Man from Jerry Marchand at a festival he was playing at. :love

And I love instrumentals, like the Matrix and LOTR soundtrack (I also like good vocals like Matrix soundtrack and Halo 2 soundtrack).
Karl-XMB
Lubber
Lubber

Music

Post by Karl-XMB »

Favourites:

Classical: Mozart and any classical chamber music.
Rock: Dire Straits, U2, Pink Floyd
Romatics: Spandau Ballet, Eurythmics, Aventures and Hipsay
Listening to now: Morrisey........live from Manchester.

P.S. Clannad........awesome!
Karl.
XMB Assistant Support Manager
XMB Administrator
http://www.xmbforum.com
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Music

Alkuperäinen postittaja Northstar
(I also like good vocals like Matrix soundtrack and Halo 2 soundtrack).
Yes, i like Halo 1 & 2 Soundtracks too ;pant

right now im listening the great song from Sin City
trailer :P
Cells, the band officially released the song without the singing. obiviously they made lots of money with the single :)
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Music

Post by steyn »

Apocolyptica, I love their music. They were the first band that I heard that properly used string instruments, to my taste.
I'm probably the only one here that listens to Evanessence.
Usually when I work I only play Apocolyptica and Dust Brother's Fight Club Sound Track.

Mind you the only music that really calms me is a song from Hacker's Soundtrack, the one that plays in the beginning where he sits in the plane and watches the city, I think it's called Halcyon and on and on... or something like that. I wish I still had that cd.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Music

Alkuperäinen postittaja steynedvelvet
Mind you the only music that really calms me is a song from Hacker's Soundtrack, the one that plays in the beginning where he sits in the plane and watches the city, I think it's called Halcyon and on and on... or something like that. I wish I still had that cd.
just started downloading it.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Music

Post by kladyelf »

Uhhhhmmmm..

MaryMary, Cece Winans, Phil Joel, Maire Brennan (Enya's sister)
and older stuff - i love rhapsody in blue :LOL really! i love that long slow slinky clarinet at the beginning *toes curl*
stuff like Split Enz/Crowded House, The Beatles - lots of 60's 70's 80's stuff and the occasional song like classical gas - or "Welcome to the House of Fun" by Madness (Arcade's theme if ever there was one) and Madness in general

I also like music that makes me laugh - i don't have any weird Al but he can be funny! and a friend of mine gave me some CD's of Tom Leherer's which are hilarious - and another band called "Apologetix" who take well known songs and give them a Christian twist - I will never be able to listen to bohemian rhapsody *Ever* again - at least not with a straight face *laughs hysterically*

[Edit]

OH! and i just remembered another one - Reliant K's "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" here are the lyrics for the curious :D

ReliantK
THE PIRATES WHO DON'T DO ANYTHING

arr! Arr! ARr! ARR!
We are the pirates who don’t do anything,
We just stay at home and lie around,
And if you ask us to do anything,
We'll just tell you we don’t do anything!
Well, I’ve never been to Greenland,
And I've never been to Denver,
And I’ve never buried treasure in St. Louie or St. Paul,
And I’ve never been to Moscow,
And I’ve never been to Tampa,
And I’ve never been to Boston in the fall!
'Cause We're the pirates who don’t do anything,
And I’ve never hoist the mainstay,
And I’ve never swabbed the poop deck,
And I’ve never veered to starboard,
'Cause I never sail at all.
And I’ve never walked the gangplank,
And I’ve never owned a parrot,
'Cause were the pirates who don’t do anything,
Well, I've never plucked a rooster,
And I'm not too good at ping pong,
And I’ve never thrown mah mashed potaters,
Up against the wall.
And I’ve never kissed a chipmunk,
And I’ve never gotten head lice,
And I’ve never been to Boston in the Fall!
(Spoken part)
Pirate Captain's Log, 2002,
Who be this band Relient K?
And why be they so full of contradictions?
We don't know, what we did,
but we're down with Captain Kid,
We all wake up late for lunch,
But we all eat Captain Crunch,
We don't smoke,
We don't chew,
We watch Captain Kangaroo!
And I’ve never licked a spark plug,
And I’ve never sniffed a stinkbug,
And I’ve never painted daises,
On a big red rubber ball.
And I’ve never bathed in yogurt,
And I don’t look good in leggings,
(Ladies and Gentlemen, let's give them a hand!)
We are the pirates who don't do anything,
and if you ask us to do anything,
We'll just tell you we don't do anything!
We are the pirates who don't do anything,
and if you ask us to do anything,
We'll just tell you we don't do anything!

hehe
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Music

Post by Angelique »

We're big Maire Brennan fans in my family. She's one of the few artists we have more than one CD of, up there with the Beatles, Rush, and John Williams conducting the London Philharmonic.
Oh, and an important lesson. Never go to a Weird Al concert while 8 months pregnant, unless you want to head straight to the hospital afterward! :oops:

Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Music

Post by Northstars Love »

I love Classic Rock, Doors and Foreigner to name a few. Beatles, Motown (Supremes), Disco (ya, I still like a little Night Fever now and then :P), most 80's music (Duran Duran, Culture Club and the like). Don't care for the newer stuff out there. Hip Hop and Rap seem to be the biggies at the moment and I just can't get into that music.

Scary! I'm going to be 40 next year and my age is beginning to show! :eek