Revenge of the Sith, Chinese Style

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Backstroke of the West???

Check out this link a friend of mine posted in her LJ. I’m not sure how she found this, but it’s a post from a guy that picked up a Chinese version of “Revenge of the Sithâ€
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

This was in rottentomatoes for a long time ago.
but...
Backstroke of the West was kind a funny.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

:*D BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Thank you, Nacht! I'd been told about this before, and I'd been wanting to see it for weeks! I had already heard the bit where they translated "Jedi Council" as "Presbyterians"... Now we know the awful truth about this mysterious denomination! :toothy
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Oh my God - you have accidently discovered one of my super secret pastimes: collecting "Engrish" - or badly mistranslated English from Asia.

I don't know why, but if I'm in a bad mood or something just a few minutes spent reading mistranslated or incorrect English and I'm rolling around on the floor laughing my ass off (truly). I actually have books of it from before there was the internet and my collection of Engrish stationary is truly staggering. (I've had to use extreme force of will not to write Marvel on it. I don't think my message would be as strong on stationary with a bunch of hello kitty style cartoons on it and the message "nature has given me the feeling of superfirst class satisfaction!" across the top.)

Feel the hilarious power of the Engrish!

But I think you've already fallen under the awesome power of The Dark Presbyterian Church Maelstrom, as it was Shadow_Dancer who posted and not Nacht. :ooh:

-e
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

The best thing about this was it was translated from English to Chinese and then from the translated Chinese BACK to English again.

We used to do the same thing when I was taking German (I translate something from English to German then give it to a German friend to translate the translation from German to English) but it was never quite this funny.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Probably because the European languages are a LOT closer together than anything east of the Ukraine. Any of our sentence structure rules go completely out the window when you get to Japanese, Madarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, or any other "eastern" language. Translating back and forth is tortorous on both sides. (I tried to learn Japanese in College. I really did. Got so stressed out I was almost making myself sick. :urg)
But I think you've already fallen under the awesome power of The Dark Presbyterian Church Maelstrom, as it was Shadow_Dancer who posted and not Nacht.
:doh! It must be from my husband! He's a Presbyterian! I knew there was something shady about him! :toothy
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

LMAO!!! oh, that's hilarious....

it reminds me of another bit of trivia... The name Coca-Cola in China was first rendered as Ke-kou-ke-la. Unfortunately, the Coke company did not discover until after thousands of signs had been printed that the phrase means "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" depending on the dialect.

and Pepsi's translation of its "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation" became "Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead." In Taiwan
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I had to revilalize the engrish thread because of this jem. LMAO. Man.

I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.